Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Someone please tell me how I keep water marks off my glass shower screen!
I have a karcher and use that frequently on it but I think I have really bad hard water!
I have a dishmatic filled with washing up liquid and vinegar in the shower, I run it over the glass at the end of the shower takes two seconds and no longer have water marks

Reactions: 9
9635B116-0B7E-46C2-BE1A-39A2BC9469FF.jpeg
I have a dishmatic filled with washing up liquid and vinegar in the shower, I run it over the glass at the end of the shower takes two seconds and no longer have water marks
White vinegar? I’m going to try this! PS got this lovely vase today- £4.99 in home bargains!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Help with bad smells!!

My hallway / kitchen keep smelling really eggy. I’m almost certain it’s the washer, as it seems to get worse when it’s just been on, but it could be the dishwasher or sink also, or maybe the pipe work behind the appliances which are in the corner which is behind the bit of hallway that smells.

It’s a new kitchen! So the washer is less than 6 months old and I’ve already done a few cleaning cycles. I don’t know what else to do 😫😫😫😫

Help with bad smells!!

My hallway / kitchen keep smelling really eggy. I’m almost certain it’s the washer, as it seems to get worse when it’s just been on, but it could be the dishwasher or sink also, or maybe the pipe work behind the appliances which are in the corner which is behind the bit of hallway that smells.

It’s a new kitchen! So the washer is less than 6 months old and I’ve already done a few cleaning cycles. I don’t know what else to do 😫😫😫😫
Sulfur smells can also indicate a gas leak, you should have someone come

Reactions: 6
View attachment 1991587
White vinegar? I’m going to try this! PS got this lovely vase today- £4.99 in home bargains!
Yeah white vinegar. I got a massive 5l one for a few quid on Amazon because I seem to use it quite a lot for deep cleans.
Honestly it’s so handy I use it on taps too they’re always gleaming after.

love the vase

Reactions: 4
Has anyone had their kitchen vinyl wrapped before? Just moved into a council house and the kitchen is awful.
We looked into doing this and more experienced friends described it as a ball ache especially if it's not done properly. They suggested it would be better to paint the cupboard doors instead. Would that be an option for you?

Reactions: 1
Help with bad smells!!

Has the smell always been there, since that washing machine was put in? Or appeared a while after?

that’s lovely, I don’t like the sparkles. Can I ask where you sourced your panels or did a fitter do that?Do you metal trims on all the edges?
The fitter we had did that, I just told him I liked the concrete look and he showed me 4 or 5 options, but you can also search “wet wall” and loadssss will come up!x and yes, we had metal trims on all the edges but I think you can have plastic too if you prefer!

Reactions: 2
We don’t have a gas supply, all electric.
Thank goodness! Maybe try Affresh tablets? I run my dishwasher on a long hot cycle with their laundry machine offering. They do a dishwasher tablet which would probably be best to start with.

Help with bad smells!!

Sounds like the pipe could be blocked at the back

Reactions: 2
I've seen some kitchens done nicely in that Frenchic paint as well, haven't used it myself though.
Dainty Diaries has painted her kitchen more than once. She's been on courses about painting and has worked with Frenchic.
She was given a load of ginger furniture when she got her own home and upcycled them too.
Check out her videos and you'll get some tips.

Reactions: 4
Ok I know it’s lazy but I’ve bought a robot vacuum and OMG life changer, went on the school run today and came back to a sparkly clean floor. Ultimate hack, my husband was in the conservatory working, keeping an eye on him. We’ve called him Keith after Keith Floyd (I’m that old) because he bumps into the furniture (the vacuum not my husband!)

I’ve also changed to refillable shampoo / conditioner / shower gel bottles, they look very hotelly and thats a look I like and I can see when I need to buy more.

I have a rule of only one thing per windowsill - a plant, a candle etc - and it’s really opened up what looked to be cluttered previously.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
We looked into doing this and more experienced friends described it as a ball ache especially if it's not done properly. They suggested it would be better to paint the cupboard doors instead. Would that be an option for you?
the cupboard doors are like laminate so from what I understand a pain in the arse but not impossible! I’ll explore that option further I think.

I’ve also changed to refillable shampoo / conditioner / shower gel bottles, they look very hotelly and thats a look I like and I can see when I need to buy more.
I use empty hand soap dispensers (brown plastic, label removed) for my shampoo, conditioner and shower gel. Removing the coloured original bottles from view has visually calmed down my bathroom so much.

Reactions: 9
the cupboard doors are like laminate so from what I understand a pain in the arse but not impossible! I’ll explore that option further I think.
Sorry I didn't mean to put you off completely. Our advice came from friends who deliberately bought a project house and are much more skilled at DIY than I am 🙈 Even they 👀 at getting cupboards wrapped. It definitely made us rethink ideas on how to spruce up our kitchen. Good luck!

Thank goodness! Maybe try Affresh tablets? I run my dishwasher on a long hot cycle with their laundry machine offering. They do a dishwasher tablet which would probably be best to start with.
On it 🙌

Has the smell always been there, since that washing machine was put in? Or appeared a while after?
A few weeks after I’d say.. never had it with the old kitchen and I remember noticing it before xmas when the new washer would’ve been in a little while 😫😫

Sounds like the pipe could be blocked at the back
Yes could be! I had someone out last month as the washer was leaking (which he fixed on the second attempt 🙄) but I wonder if he’s missed something.. I don’t know if they’d send someone out for a smelly machine though 🤣😭

Wow that’s lovely. H&M do one very similar. I don’t need anymore vases 🫣😂
Yeah I wanted the H&M one originally but at £4.99 I couldn’t say no to this!
---
Ok I know it’s lazy but I’ve bought a robot vacuum and OMG life changer, went on the school run today and came back to a sparkly clean floor. Ultimate hack, my husband was in the conservatory working, keeping an eye on him. We’ve called him Keith after Keith Floyd (I’m that old) because he bumps into the furniture (the vacuum not my husband!)

I have a rule of only one thing per windowsill - a plant, a candle etc - and it’s really opened up what looked to be cluttered previously.
How does it work with a robot vacuum if you’re over two floors? Does it sense the stairs and avoid them or tumble down them to it’s death?!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.