Your most ridiculous irrational fear

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Water, I’m fine in the shower and washing my hands etc 😂 It’s mainly outdoor water. Not for the depth but for the ‘bits’ in there. I couldn’t cope it anything was remotely near me. Fish freak me out completely but even if it was a leaf 🤢. Bath bombs with petals in 🤢 washing the dishes and touching a bit of food 🤢 I feel ill talking about it. It annoys me because I would like to do more outdoor water sports but I just can’t do it

Reactions: 4
Frogs 🐸 Hate everything about them. They are so unpredictable, jumping around. I'm convinced they are gonna leap up and strangle me with their little webby fingers!
Came here to say this 😳
Quite literally terrified of them. Wet evenings are the worse. You think it's a leaf until you realise it's not.

Fish when they aren't in water. (No I don't eat them either!)
And also this. Only because I had a goldfish when I was younger which jumped out it's tank in the middle of the night. I stood on it. Now I can cope when I see open tanks/ponds with dish jumping everywhere.

I just don't think I like unpredictable movement, because I'm scared of moths too. Give me a spider any day.

• Wow
Reactions: 1
Only because I had a goldfish when I was younger which jumped out it's tank in the middle of the night. I stood on it
Oh my goodness 😐 I also had a goldfish that flipped out of its bowl. Why do they do that 😂 thankfully mine did it in the day so i saw it and put it back in.

I absolutely cannot stand the feeling of sponge (bath sponges). It makes my skin crawl 🤮 even typing that out has made me itch 🤢

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Not being able to move my legs or arms. If my OH or kids sit on my legs, it causes total panic in me

• Wow
Reactions: 11
Not being able to move my legs or arms. If my OH or kids sit on my legs, it causes total panic in me
I kind of have this fear too. I’m always scared that one day I’ll wake up paralysed or in some way I’ll become paralysed…not being able to move and being stuck in my body

• Heart
I can't bear sharp knives, especially if they're all metal and "clangy". We have a set at home and I can't watch if anyone is using them, I literally have to leave the kitchen, and I'll sit in the living-room, trying not to think about knife-related disasters.

My mum was always cutting herself (by accident!) when I was a kid, she was never without a huge plaster on her thumb and a blood-stained tea towel somewhere in our kitchen. Then a few years ago, my husband cut himself badly, he nicked an artery and it was a proper ambulance dash, he had to be stitched up in A&E, he was right on the threshold for a transfusion as he'd lost so much blood. Most of which was on my kitchen floor, I had to clean it all up when we got home, 8 hours later. It was all congealed, and it had splattered right up to the top of one of the kitchen cupboards 🤢.

• Wow
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Not always, but if I'm having a period of general anxiety anyway I sometimes get freaked out by the sky. I think the underlying issue is related to fear of being outdoors and exposed, but it comes out as fear of the sky specifically.

• Heart
Sending comforting hugs or hand-holds to everyone. It’s a freaky world out there.

I also bad-dreamed/awoke in a panic about missing school tests and project deadlines until I was well into my 30s. Had tons of real problems and responsibilities, but was apparently still working out my school fears. smh.

Mirrors. If I’m home alone at night I will avoid mirrors or anything reflective as I’m worried that if I look at it there won’t just be me looking back. My partner works nights so if he’s not home when I go to bed I can’t even face the side where my dressing table and mirror are (even though it’s dark, I have my eyes closed etc, I just know the mirror is there!)

Reactions: 16
Mirrors. If I’m home alone at night I will avoid mirrors or anything reflective as I’m worried that if I look at it there won’t just be me looking back. My partner works nights so if he’s not home when I go to bed I can’t even face the side where my dressing table and mirror are (even though it’s dark, I have my eyes closed etc, I just know the mirror is there!)
I have a similar fear but with windows, and like you say, especially at night. I’m always afraid I’ll see something scary staring back at me if I look through them. Blinds are always down and curtains shut as soon as it gets even a little bit dark outside. 😬

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Mosquitos and heavy rain!

Got super allergic reactions to mosquito bites in Italy and I had to take heavy meds for it haha so every time I hear the slightest buzz I freak out...
When I have to cycle through heavy rain/a storm I have anxiety attacks. Not sure where this came from but it results in me arriving at my destination fully in tears and super upset :(

• Sad
I have a similar fear but with windows, and like you say, especially at night. I’m always afraid I’ll see something scary staring back at me if I look through them. Blinds are always down and curtains shut as soon as it gets even a little bit dark outside. 😬
Yes I’m the same with windows. My kitchen doesn’t currently have a blind so if I walk in there at night I have to tell myself that the movement in the window is only my reflection but I still can’t look straight at it. My boyfriend put a little solar light up in the garden and it made me jump the first time I saw this little colour changing thing through the window! I am a proper wimp. 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Eyes/touching eyes/the idea of eyes coming out 🤮
Whales, nothing should be that big. They are terrifying.

Eyes/touching eyes/the idea of eyes coming out 🤮
Whales, nothing should be that big. They are terrifying.
Ughhh I can’t cope with touching my eyes at all! I had a contact lens lesson once and i spent 45 mins getting the lens near my eye but I just couldn’t do it. The spec savers lady was laughing at me so much, I just couldn’t do it! I had to give up

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Ughhh I can’t cope with touching my eyes at all! I had a contact lens lesson once and i spent 45 mins getting the lens near my eye but I just couldn’t do it. The spec savers lady was laughing at me so much, I just couldn’t do it! I had to give up
Haha! Completely get this. The opticians is hell for me. Give me the dentist any day. I can’t cope with an eye test very well and constantly move away when they come near me. I couldn’t entertain the idea of contacts

Dust. That sort of thick, carpety dust you get on the top of a wardrobe you haven't looked at for years. Always scared the bejesus out of me for some reason.
Also terrified of maggots, dead things, heights (especially ladders), tadpoles, and the dark (I can cope with the dark if I try hard).
Lots of scary tit out there 😳 😰 xx

Last edited:
Pigeons and my mums mash! I can’t go near pigeons and I get really anxious if their flying above me!

whenever my Mum says she’s making something with mash I get a sweat on and have to make sure about 20 times she’s not giving me any!!! I’m traumatised after how bad it was when I was younger 🤣
Pigeons for me, too. I'm so scared, I have to cross the road sometimes if they're near me. I'm fine with other birds though!

Reactions: 1
Pigeons for me. I once saw a pigeon fly over a woman's head and its feet got caught in her bun and was flapping all over the place. It was like a horror film.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 15