Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Mulholland Drive

VIP Member
I was born in South Africa, but moved to England in my late teens. And have been hopping between the two ever since.

However I still carry a rather heavy Afrikaans accent mixed with a mild sprinkling of East Anglian English. So whenever I'm in Johannesburg or here in England I have to repeat myself because people find it hard to understand me first time round

Reactions: 2

ClockworkDolly

VIP Member
I am French and have been living in Birmingham for the past 5 years. My ex boyfriend was from the Black Country so I have developed an accent that is a mix of French/Brummie/Black Country. it is very confusing for people who meet me 😂
I would love to hear that mixture. 😂

I have an Essex accent, but I do not articulate myself the way you hear them speak on TOWIE. Unfortunately that programme has reinforced the stereotype of Essex people “being stupid” even more so. 🙄

I love our broad range of accents in Britain. I must admit, I am good at mimicking accents and find myself doing it rather a lot, usually when by myself. But I’ve often put on a different accent when visiting a place that I have no intention of returning to, just to see if I can get away with it. 🤣

The thing with accents is that it does not matter what your accent is, it is how you articulate yourself, the speed in which you speak too. I never have a problem understanding accents, but if someone is a fast talker, then that would make it slightly more difficult to understand them.

Last edited:

JLXRD

VIP Member
I have a Dorset accent but compared to older people in Dorset it is very faint (a lot less farmer-like 😂 the older people sound like in Hot Fuzz here!)

My grandparents are from Dublin and I would love to have their accent, I think it sounds so lovely and find it quite calming!

Freebies_come2me

VIP Member
Absolutely love a scouse accent! Sounds so friendly and warm to me.

I've lived in the UK for almost a decade now, but think that I still have a very strong South African accent, although I often am mistaken for being from Australia or NZ. Funnily enough, when I do go back to SA on holiday, everyone thinks I'm a tourist. 🤔
I love a SA accent!! I often mistaken it for Kiwi

• Heart

TravellingPants

Chatty Member
Generic estuary / Home Counties southern accent here... grew up in Essex, with a fairly strong twang that had the edges rounded off by living on the South coast for uni, where my friends were predominantly from upper middle-class/private school backgrounds. I remember coming home from my first term at Christmas and my oldest friend asking why I’d started talking funny. People now rarely guess where I’m from other than somewhere in the south.

My ‘original’ accent comes out stronger with family or friends from home, or after a few drinks!

Very traditional

VIP Member
My Grandmother is from South Africa. Lived in London for many many years but still has quite an accent. We always thought it funny to get her to say “Ice cream”
My friend is from South Africa but has lived in the Uk for nearly 20 years, in Wales for most of it. Her accent is still there but much less so than when we first met and she now has a bit of a Welsh twang. When we're drunk we always ask her to say blanket and hill as we love how she says them!

i've got a welsh accent (south west, not valleys strong or anything) and i don't mind it - hate listening to it on a recording but it seems to go over well with people, i guess it's a friendly accent? My favourite accent is Southern Irish, it's such a pleasant sound but i quite like Northern Irish too.

i love how accents change depending on who you're talking to - my friend from Essex has a fairly neutral accent day to day as hasn't lived there for years but put her in a room with her mum and it's so broad it's unbelievable!

F the dust.

VIP Member
Should I feel sorry for you? ;)

My friend also mentions something called "Uppies and Downies", which I think is some kind of ball game played between people from Workington and Whitehaven (great rivals apparently). She loves to get involved as there's barely any rules, but looks quite chaotic, lol
Never seen it but they do usually do a local news segment on it on our local news 😊

I grew up in Liverpool, and have spent most of my adult life on the Wirral.
I like to think that my scouse accent is quite soft, but I am probably kidding myself. Whenever I travel out of the north west, it often creates amusement. Taxi drivers and bar staff, will frequently repeat what I have just said - in a comical, over the top scouse accent. Perhaps that is how I actually sound?
It must be bad, as I once asked a local for directions, as I left London Bridge Tube Station. He replied “I’m sorry love, I don’t speak German” 😳
Absolutely love a scouse accent! Sounds so friendly and warm to me.

I've lived in the UK for almost a decade now, but think that I still have a very strong South African accent, although I often am mistaken for being from Australia or NZ. Funnily enough, when I do go back to SA on holiday, everyone thinks I'm a tourist. 🤔

PoleStar

Chatty Member
I am Berkshire born and bred, never lived anywhere else. The old Berkshire accent doesn't really exist anymore and I don't have it. I don’t have any strong feelings about my accent, it's quite soft and that's about it.

SpookyLumberjack

VIP Member
I'm from Liverpool (and happy to be) but after studying and living away for a while my accent is now RP (never had the strongest scouse accent and trained at a theatre school and lost it a lot more, taught abroad for a long time and what was left apparently just vanished). I moved back not too long ago and everyone assumes I'm from London. I correct them but hilariously people don't always believe me. I get ripped off on taxi journeys all the time (they always ask on the way where down south I'm from and get shocked when I start directing them the right way). It never happens when I put the accent on - yeah I've tested it.

Been called a posh bitch a couple of times by random chav girls on buses (asked them not to smoke lmao)

I get told I'm 'not a scouser' a lot now too. Whatever 😂 (don't get me wrong, people here are generally nice so it seems I encounter all the gits).

Last edited:

Mulholland Drive

VIP Member
I'm broad cumbrian..awful. would love an Irish or north east accent!
A friend of mine lives in Workington, and to be honest I can barely understand her once she's in full flow!

Needed explanations for words like "Lal", "jam eater", "hesta" and "scrattin" among many others!

• Haha

cushtybert

VIP Member
I moved around a lot in my 20’s and overseas for a few years, I’ve lost my accent. Think I sound like a blend of places 😂😂

JCAH2013

Chatty Member
I am from Manchester but have always made a big effort to ensure I didn’t end up With the typical manc accent. People assume I’m from Oldham rather than Manchester which is ok. I don’t mind the Manc accent I grew up in a place it is prominent and where we live now is 10 mins from the city centre and most people do have the typical accent. I’ve just always been very aware that I don’t want to sound like that.

Duck ayup and orate here too 🤣
My BIL is from stoke and I love his accent!

Bogwoppit

VIP Member
I don’t hate my accent but a lot of people point it out to me. I’m from Stoke and so people pick up on the little ways I say things like look and book. We also say things like duck, shug, conna and ayup orate! Which can be like a different language! I don’t hate my accent but I think it sounds kind of funny at times. But I love it at work when I hear another Stokie- makes me feel comfy and at home. If I could chose an accent to have it would probably be Southern Ireland or some sort of Italian accent I think. I wouldn’t chose Stokie!!
A fellow Stokie here too 🙋‍♀️

• Heart

petitspois

VIP Member
I’m from Wales and have what I’d like to think is a mild accent. It gets proper Welsh when I’m talking to someone from the Valleys though.

• Heart