Your accent

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do you like your accent? Wish you could change it ?
I am from greater London / Hertfordshire and speak with a pretty platonic English accent I would say ( modern Received Pronunciation) I’ve always thought it was bland but it’s easily understandable and sounds professional.

Started this mainly because I’ve been watching accent videos on YouTube and find it interesting also I have been told I subconsciously switch my voice to a bit more eloquent when speaking to strangers or customers, I’m not sure why could be a nervous thing. Anyone else do that ?

Reactions: 4
Our accent is horrendous!!!!!! And I definitely change it for customers!! I mean mines not as bad as some in our city.but it's very unpleasant

Reactions: 1
Do you like your accent? Wish you could change it ?
I am from greater London / Hertfordshire and speak with a pretty platonic English accent I would say ( modern Received Pronunciation) I’ve always thought it was bland but it’s easily understandable and sounds professional.

Started this mainly because I’ve been watching accent videos on YouTube and find it interesting also I have been told I subconsciously switch my voice to a bit more eloquent when speaking to strangers or customers, I’m not sure why could be a nervous thing. Anyone else do that ?
What's a 'platonic English accent'?

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Im from London, I like mine. I have my telephone/work voice but yeah, im happy with it 😊 im in hertfordshire now and its abit mockney, which makes me laugh!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Northern Ireland accent (not a city specific one, fairly generic) - I don't like it at all. I think our accents tend to be quite harsh sounding. I'd love a slightly more southern Irish sounding one.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
As someone with an NI accent currently living in England, my accent has been described as an “angry man” so sometimes I hate it but mostly I’m okay with it 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I live in a town in N. I. and my accent is country(ish). I sound my ings only when I attend a hospital appointment. No idea why I do that.I really don’t like my accent.

Reactions: 6
I make myself sound broader at work. I work in a really deprived area and I find people trust me more. I find accents fascinating

Reactions: 16
I like mine but I know some people won’t (Essex) love a Scottish accent (used to live and work there)

West of Scotland ,Glasgow accent .In my head I sound like Kirsty Young but probably more isa from still game 😀

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
As someone with an NI accent currently living in England, my accent has been described as an “angry man” so sometimes I hate it but mostly I’m okay with it 😂
Omg, when I travelled to Scotland with my previous job one of the guys over there would always do Paisley impressions when I spoke and said N.I. people come across "very aggressive" haha.

• Haha
I have a thick Manchester accent (born amd raised in central Manchester) and hate it. I sound so chavvy yet I am a professional and absolutely not a chav. I notice some people that I follow on sm from school now have a fake cheshire accent and sound much posher. I wouldn't do that as I'm proud of my roots and I don't want to put on a fake accent but I don't like my accent.

Reactions: 9
I don't think I have an accent. I used to have quite a posh accent when I was a child but that's relaxed a lot. I'm surrounded by areas with very strong accents so that might be why I think I've got a generic British accent

I do love accents

Reactions: 1
Northern Ireland accent (not a city specific one, fairly generic) - I don't like it at all. I think our accents tend to be quite harsh sounding. I'd love a slightly more southern Irish sounding one.
I love the Northern Irish accent. I used to live there for a bit and now whenever I hear anyone with that accent it reminds me of those days! :)

I am from Cambridge originally. I never really thought I had an accent but I suppose to anyone else I do. I think I sound like a less posh version of a typical newsreader.

Reactions: 2
I won't say where I'm originally from, but my accent is unbelievably strong.
The thing is, where I grew up I lived there until I was about 20. I'm 40 now and where I currently live, I've lived in the area since I left home, but the minute I open my mouth my original accent shoots straight out. It can never be hidden. I wouldn't even try.

Nobody should ever try and hide their accent. You shouldn't be ashamed of it.

My SIL tries to put on a posh accent, especially when she's on the phone but slips back into her real one. She's full of it anyway though.

My husband's accent is very neutral. Nobody could really pick him out as being from anywhere in particular.
He doesn't try and change it or anything. It's been like that as long as I know him. His Dad had a very neutral (again, genuine) accent too.

I have a thick Manchester accent (born amd raised in central Manchester) and hate it. I sound so chavvy yet I am a professional and absolutely not a chav. I notice some people that I follow on sm from school now have a fake cheshire accent and sound much posher. I wouldn't do that as I'm proud of my roots and I don't want to put on a fake accent but I don't like my accent.
I love the Manchester accent!

Reactions: 7
I grew up in Liverpool, and have spent most of my adult life on the Wirral.
I like to think that my scouse accent is quite soft, but I am probably kidding myself. Whenever I travel out of the north west, it often creates amusement. Taxi drivers and bar staff, will frequently repeat what I have just said - in a comical, over the top scouse accent. Perhaps that is how I actually sound?
It must be bad, as I once asked a local for directions, as I left London Bridge Tube Station. He replied “I’m sorry love, I don’t speak German” 😳

• Haha
Reactions: 40
I’ve also got a Scouse accent ☺ I don’t mind it but find it incredibly annoying that people mimic it / will often repeat words back to me that they find funny. I know it is meant in jest but omg it can get so annoying 😂😂🤣🤣
Favourite accents are welsh and Essex. Least favourite is defo brummy(sorry!!)

I don’t hate my accent but a lot of people point it out to me. I’m from Stoke and so people pick up on the little ways I say things like look and book. We also say things like duck, shug, conna and ayup orate! Which can be like a different language! I don’t hate my accent but I think it sounds kind of funny at times. But I love it at work when I hear another Stokie- makes me feel comfy and at home. If I could chose an accent to have it would probably be Southern Ireland or some sort of Italian accent I think. I wouldn’t chose Stokie!!

• Heart
I don’t hate my accent but a lot of people point it out to me. I’m from Stoke and so people pick up on the little ways I say things like look and book. We also say things like duck, shug, conna and ayup orate! Which can be like a different language! I don’t hate my accent but I think it sounds kind of funny at times. But I love it at work when I hear another Stokie- makes me feel comfy and at home. If I could chose an accent to have it would probably be Southern Ireland or some sort of Italian accent I think. I wouldn’t chose Stokie!!
Duck ayup and orate here too 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 3