Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

monga

VIP Member
I have a strong accent and find those automated phone services haven't a clue what I'm saying 😂 I do hate it and can't listen to anyone on telly with it 😬

Last edited:
Reactions: 6

Albs

Always amazes me how close manchester & liverpool are to each other but they both sound completely different.

Reactions: 5

Anasnake

VIP Member
Everyone has an accent, it’s the way you speak. Once had an American say that they didn’t have one and wouldn’t have it that yes they did

• Haha

judsmum

Chatty Member
I have a very broad Barnsley accent. I wouldn’t change it for anything. Brummie, Barnsley and Scottish accents are my favourites.
I would hate to have the typical yummy mummy accent - ie MOD. Worst accent going.

• Haha

Bellamerrell

VIP Member
I have a Yorkshire accent and although i don't particularity like my tone of voice (i think i have quite a whiny, young voice which doesn't match my age) i do like my accent and wouldnt want to change it. Whenever i go away and hear a Yorkshire accent its like a comforting sound

• Heart

Begborrowsteal

VIP Member
Im from London, I like mine. I have my telephone/work voice but yeah, im happy with it 😊 im in hertfordshire now and its abit mockney, which makes me laugh!

• Heart

Lulabella_Mozzarella2

I never really thought I’d got an accent, it was only when I used to have to record answerphone meaaages at work that I heard myself properly 😆 I live on the Notts/Derbyshire border and have a lazy accent - lots of letters missed and things dropped - like ‘just going t’ shop’, ‘no, I cunt do that’ (rather than couldn’t). I don’t call people ‘duck’ or ‘love’ but it’s quite popular raaand ‘ere 😆

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 4

Artax79

I’m from the Black Country, and where I am we tend to have a more thicker Black Country accent.

As a note, just to get it out there straight away, our accent is not to be likened or confused with a Brummie accent. We live no where near Birmingham and B’ham is not part of the Black Country. The easiest way to offend any of us? Call us Brummies 🤣

We have our own language here. Can’t is replaced with Cor. Didn’t is replaced with Day. Been is replaced with Bin. Not is replaced with Ay.
So:
“I cor believe my husband day do the washing up tonight. I’ve bin at work all day, I ay having it”

I’d say at least 80% of words are replaced with a Black Country variant of some sort. It’s worth looking up for a laugh (or loff in our case)

We have friends from the posh parts of Lincolnshire, and we do try speak properly while we are with them. Once they get a few beers down us, it’s down hill from there 🤣

Casperron

VIP Member
I like mine but I know some people won’t (Essex) love a Scottish accent (used to live and work there)

Kea11y

Bolton here 👋 or Bowton as we like to pronounce it 🤣 I didn't think I was that bad until I heard myself on a video once and I'm basically a female Peter Kay 🤣🤣

• Haha

mcfeez

VIP Member
As someone with an NI accent currently living in England, my accent has been described as an “angry man” so sometimes I hate it but mostly I’m okay with it 😂
Omg, when I travelled to Scotland with my previous job one of the guys over there would always do Paisley impressions when I spoke and said N.I. people come across "very aggressive" haha.

• Haha
scouse accent here!
Went to a welsh university and used to be constantly asked to say the phrase "COCO POPS THEY MAKE THE MILK SO CHOCOLATELY" and "CHICKEN NUGGETS" and they'd rip me to hell
however i'd say my accent is very tame in relation to some of the people i work with who even i struggle to understand due to how thick their accent is or how fast they talk in fast flowing conversations

Last edited:

Pamellla

Do you like your accent? Wish you could change it ?
I am from greater London / Hertfordshire and speak with a pretty platonic English accent I would say ( modern Received Pronunciation) I’ve always thought it was bland but it’s easily understandable and sounds professional.

Started this mainly because I’ve been watching accent videos on YouTube and find it interesting also I have been told I subconsciously switch my voice to a bit more eloquent when speaking to strangers or customers, I’m not sure why could be a nervous thing. Anyone else do that ?

Rlaw1978

VIP Member
My own accent is pretty neutral, I think it comes from going to an international school.
However I find I take/mimic the accent of whoever I am talking to, so if I speak to an American I will slip into their accent etc. I unintentionally mirror others speech, accent, patterns, sounds , phrases. Anyone else do this?

yournumberonefan1

I'm from South Cumbria, I've been told I have a lovely telephone voice. My accent is pretty non-eventful..I don't have any noticeable traits. I wish it was more interesting.

I'm from the London suburbs (Live in Kent now) and I quite like my accent. It can vary from posh to "street" depending on the company and a few drinks 😂. My family all have strong London accents though espcially my mother in law who is from Stepney. She sounds like she should work behind The Queen Vic.

Turquoise

Like others on this thread, I'm bloody fascinated by accents. My own is definitely native to my home place, but it's not particularly strong. I feel entirely neutral about it 😂 however, I do tend to code-switch a LOT. People who know me a long time can find it a bit odd if they hear me in code-switching mode, as if I'm deliberately altering my accent, but I genuinely can't help it. I've moved around a lot in the last 12 -15 years which is a big part of it, I think. Trying to fit in places.