Women's health.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know this thread hasn’t been posted in for a while but wasn’t sure where else to ask this!
has anyone had hpv show up 3 times (over 3 years)? Rang the doctors yesterday as had been waiting 7 weeks for my smear results and the receptionist told me I need a colposcopy but can’t tell me why! And no doctor can speak to me until next week. Assuming that it is that I’ve still got hpv but just worrying now! What is a colposcopy like if any ones had one? Thank you
Hey. It may be because you now have some cell changes due to the HPV. I’m no professional but this is what I have (HPV and low grade changes) so I needed a colposcopy x

Reactions: 4
Hey. It may be because you now have some cell changes due to the HPV. I’m no professional but this is what I have (HPV and low grade changes) so I needed a colposcopy x
Had my letter through now and it says my cells are still normal just having to have a colposcopy because I’ve had hpv for 3 years. Was yours ok?

Had my letter through now and it says my cells are still normal just having to have a colposcopy because I’ve had hpv for 3 years. Was yours ok?
Hiya, I am a secretary in a colposcopy clinic. I can tell you that in our area (south west uk) it is normal protocol after 3 consecutive HPV positive smears that are normal in the cells, to have a colposcopic examination which if normal will see you discharged back to either routine recall (3/5 years) or 12 months, depending on the colposcopic impression when they look at your cervix. Be reassured that there are no actual cell changes (HPV doesn’t count as cell abnormality) :) hope it all goes well x

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Has anyone had abnormal cells twice and the LLETZ twice? I’m having LLETZ for the 2nd time on Monday and I’m worried about the scarring. I’ve already been told I have scarring on my cervix so I’m like, great.

i'm due an internal ultrasound to check if i have an ovarian cyst - i'm on progesterone only pill and havent had periods in a few years (baaad periods due to pcos so on a higher pill dose to stop them) and i'm kinda petrified. but that's probs bc i'm a 20 yr old virgin ... lol
basically has anyone had one that wasn't awful??

i'm due an internal ultrasound to check if i have an ovarian cyst - i'm on progesterone only pill and havent had periods in a few years (baaad periods due to pcos so on a higher pill dose to stop them) and i'm kinda petrified. but that's probs bc i'm a 20 yr old virgin ... lol
I’ve had an internal US. It wasn’t awful. They will use lube on the ultrasound wand and it’s usually the size/length of a tampon and has a condom like cover over it. Just try to relax, deep breaths in & out and think of something else to keep your body nice and relaxed. You’ll be fine 👍

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I’ve had an internal US. It wasn’t awful. They will use lube on the ultrasound wand and it’s usually the size/length of a tampon and has a condom like cover over it. Just try to relax, deep breaths in & out and think of something else to keep your body nice and relaxed. You’ll be fine 👍
thank you!! i googled it (i know) and some of the wands looked like a forearm 😬 so this has really reassured me

thank you!! i googled it (i know) and some of the wands looked like a forearm 😬 so this has really reassured me
It’s like an extended tampon with the applicator pulled out, stuck on an electric toothbrush. They don’t put it too deep in - but just keep relaxed and focus on breathing to keep your muscles relaxed so you don’t tense up.

I've had an internal ultrasound and although I have vaginismus and vulvadynia, I actually found it to be OK. I did some deep breathing to relax me beforehand, and the wand - which was a long, slim device with a condom-like cover on it, slathered in LOTS of lube - slipped in without pain or problem.

I know it's easy enough to just say 'relax', but honestly you will be fine. Just breathe slowly in and out. Concentrate on that and it will be over before you know it.

I'm also on progesterone only pill for PCOS :)

• Heart
I just got my letter for my first smear :) I’m going to book in this week. I’m really excited for some reason 😂

Reactions: 5
I had one a couple of months ago and they found a small cyst (how the little MF causes so much pain is beyond me)

It wasn't the most fun time I've ever had in the afternoon, it was a little bit uncomfortable (also have a coil) but not too bad. Just tell them you're a virgin they might be extra gentle with you.

I also had another one years ago and it was a male that did it, I just lay back and counted the ceiling tiles 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: 2
Hi everyone! I’ve had heavy periods since I started my period at 11 years old (young I know!). My mum always brushed it off as ‘normal’ as she said she experienced the same. I went to the doctors at 15 as the pain was crippling, I was losing a lot of blood and I was always underweight/really thin. At my appointment the doctor just pushed me onto birth control which I was prescribed but then decided against taking. I am now 22 years old and I’ve had chronic bloating for 3 years, my stomach is huge. I always experience pelvic pain and still have my period issues. Recently my periods have become irregular and my cycles are quite long (40 days on average) so I’ve been pushing for a diagnosis for 3 years. Back in December after being in agony with random pelvic pain, an out of hours doctor referred me for a transvaginal and abdominal ultrasound. I waited till March for the results and was told they’d found that my myometrium wall was abnormally shaped and thickened. They suspected Adenomyosis. They told me there was nothing they could do besides book a repeat scan in a few months and see if there were any changes. I had my repeat scans three weeks ago now and I’m awaiting results. Last time I waited over three months so I don’t have much hope. I am terrified about my potential diagnosis and more than anything, I’m extremely worried about my fertility. My dream has been to have children my whole life and the fact that it could be difficult or not possible is consuming me. I’m also extremely worried about my health as despite all of this I’ve been told “not to worry” and it’s “not a big deal” by doctors. I’m fed up of feeling heavy and bloated all the time, I’m fed up of the crippling period pain and leakage and I’m fed up of begging to be taken seriously. I have no family support as I’m estranged from them so I’m very much alone. I hope there’s a light at the end of this tunnel.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Hi everyone! I’ve had heavy periods since I started my period at 11 years old (young I know!). My mum always brushed it off as ‘normal’ as she said she experienced the same. I went to the doctors at 15 as the pain was crippling, I was losing a lot of blood and I was always underweight/really thin. At my appointment the doctor just pushed me onto birth control which I was prescribed but then decided against taking. I am now 22 years old and I’ve had chronic bloating for 3 years, my stomach is huge. I always experience pelvic pain and still have my period issues. Recently my periods have become irregular and my cycles are quite long (40 days on average) so I’ve been pushing for a diagnosis for 3 years. Back in December after being in agony with random pelvic pain, an out of hours doctor referred me for a transvaginal and abdominal ultrasound. I waited till March for the results and was told they’d found that my myometrium wall was abnormally shaped and thickened. They suspected Adenomyosis. They told me there was nothing they could do besides book a repeat scan in a few months and see if there were any changes. I had my repeat scans three weeks ago now and I’m awaiting results. Last time I waited over three months so I don’t have much hope. I am terrified about my potential diagnosis and more than anything, I’m extremely worried about my fertility. My dream has been to have children my whole life and the fact that it could be difficult or not possible is consuming me. I’m also extremely worried about my health as despite all of this I’ve been told “not to worry” and it’s “not a big deal” by doctors. I’m fed up of feeling heavy and bloated all the time, I’m fed up of the crippling period pain and leakage and I’m fed up of begging to be taken seriously. I have no family support as I’m estranged from them so I’m very much alone. I hope there’s a light at the end of this tunnel.
Im really sorry to hear about what you’re going through :( it seems cruel they make you wait so long for a diagnosis or results…have you considered going private?

Im really sorry to hear about what you’re going through :( it seems cruel they make you wait so long for a diagnosis or results…have you considered going private?
Thanks for being so kind!☺ Unfortunately I’m a young estranged student who can barely afford to pay for food and essentials let alone dream of going private so all I can do is wait🥲 still heard nothing back… waiting over 3 years and counting for any answers🤞🏼

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
are the tests and results you're getting back being done via. the gp or a gynae department at the hospital?? i found that when i was diagnosed with pcos the gp only suggested a referral once i had tried the combined pill which didn't agree with me hormonally or make a difference to my symptoms. i think you deserve better care either way - they're dismissing you when you have debilitating symptoms *and* a potential cause which i would really want investigating further!

(not saying you should try the pill btw but doctors often see referrals as a last resort when we should be listened to if it's clear something isn't right)

Have you tried any of the contraceptives on offer to see if they can relieve your symptoms and help you to manage your condition? If these can help, then it must be worth a try to give you a better quality of life?

are the tests and results you're getting back being done via. the gp or a gynae department at the hospital?? i found that when i was diagnosed with pcos the gp only suggested a referral once i had tried the combined pill which didn't agree with me hormonally or make a difference to my symptoms. i think you deserve better care either way - they're dismissing you when you have debilitating symptoms *and* a potential cause which i would really want investigating further!

(not saying you should try the pill btw but doctors often see referrals as a last resort when we should be listened to if it's clear something isn't right)
The blood tests are done by the gp and the ultrasounds were done in the hospital based on gp referral🙂 it’s just saddening that women are ignored like this, especially those of us that are young and would like to preserve our fertility! It would nice to know sooner rather than later if there’s a serious reproductive issue😵💫🤦🏻‍♀️

Have you tried any of the contraceptives on offer to see if they can relieve your symptoms and help you to manage your condition? If these can help, then it must be worth a try to give you a better quality of life?
Hi☺ I haven’t really been offered anything else besides the pill when I was 15 and honestly I don’t fancy it. The potential side effects and the issues they can cause fertility just aren’t worth it for me, especially when I may already struggle with fertility in the future if I do have this disease🥲

Reactions: 4
The blood tests are done by the gp and the ultrasounds were done in the hospital based on gp referral🙂 it’s just saddening that women are ignored like this, especially those of us that are young and would like to preserve our fertility! It would nice to know sooner rather than later if there’s a serious reproductive issue😵💫🤦🏻‍♀️

Hi☺ I haven’t really been offered anything else besides the pill when I was 15 and honestly I don’t fancy it. The potential side effects and the issues they can cause fertility just aren’t worth it for me, especially when I may already struggle with fertility in the future if I do have this disease🥲
i think you should have a good chat about contraceptive options with your GP or family planning clinic. Side effects can be really minimal and most don’t have any adverse effect on your fertility. Which side effects particularly are you worried about and what is it that worries you about the effect on your future fertility?? The benefits would certainly outweigh the negative and could really improve your quality of life now. Please don’t discount it based on one thing you were offered years ago. You’d really have to try some out for a few months and see how it goes.

I’m so sorry you’re going through this, but it is sad that they only offered you the pill and nothing more…

By the way, I just thought to let you know the pill and other contraceptive methods don’t effect future fertility, so you don’t need to worry about that, if it’s something you ever decided to take :) (I attached a study for you, but there’s a lot of research online that disproves the myth) x

Reactions: 3