Women's health.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have my smear next week and I'm so anxious about it. I'm 29 so had my first one a couple of years ago and have been avoiding this one for a year... Don't know why I'm so worried about it because the last one was uncomfortable but not traumatising - I did cry before and after but it was nowhere near as bad as I expected. Weirdly I think knowing what will happen is making me worry more about it?

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I have my smear next week and I'm so anxious about it. I'm 29 so had my first one a couple of years ago and have been avoiding this one for a year... Don't know why I'm so worried about it because the last one was uncomfortable but not traumatising - I did cry before and after but it was nowhere near as bad as I expected. Weirdly I think knowing what will happen is making me worry more about it?
I'm the same. I think I've had 3 if not 4 smears in the last 2 ish years, plus a colposcopy, and it doesn't get any easier. I try to give myself a designated 'worry time' so I try to tell myself I won't worry or think about it until 2 days before, and if I'm really really stressed then I will remind myself that I can always cancel it on the day and book it in a few more months, and I mentally give myself permission to do so (haven't needed to yet, but I think having the option there helps). You've made a big step forward just booking it, you know it will be uncomfortable but you also know you can get through it, and it will be over in minutes. Good luck ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 3
The best thing to do is relax. I'm a lot older than you and they used to use a metal speculum which was even more uncomfortable but now they use plastic, so it's a lot less uncomfortable nowadays. It is over so quickly so take a deep breath and try to relax. I think when you're tense it can make it more painful.

I’ve been invited in for a coloscopy because I’m HPV positive and also low grade changes. Feel very worried
I was the same, it's so worrying but best to think it's better to catch anything early on. just booked my smear for a week on Monday so will find out what changes have happened since last year. Feeling quite calm about it now but think that will change once I'm waiting for results and no doubt the follow up coloscopy again.

The actual colposcopy was fine, I was in a room with a few nurses, they kept me busy chatting during the procedure to keep my mind off it, and were able to tell me there and then there was nothing to worry about and to come back in a year so over all it wasn't the worst experience I've had. x

The best thing to do is relax. I'm a lot older than you and they used to use a metal speculum which was even more uncomfortable but now they use plastic, so it's a lot less uncomfortable nowadays. It is over so quickly so take a deep breath and try to relax. I think when you're tense it can make it more painful.
With respect, it can be impossible to 'relax' on this occasion.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
With respect, it can be impossible to 'relax' on this occasion.
Why though? I found it easy to relax right from my first smear as have everyone I know that has them. It's over very quickly and it doesn't hurt, so if you go in with that mindset then you'd find it easier to relax.

If more people stated it doesn't hurt etc then more women would have them instead of those who are scared not going for them. Sorry but I have a family member who died from Cervical Cancer because she was too scared to have her smears, so my advice is to have them and not fear them.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Why though? I found it easy to relax right from my first smear as have everyone I know that has them. It's over very quickly and it doesn't hurt, so if you go in with that mindset then you'd find it easier to relax.

If more people stated it doesn't hurt etc then more women would have them instead of those who are scared not going for them. Sorry but I have a family member who died from Cervical Cancer because she was too scared to have her smears, so my advice is to have them and not fear them.
That's great for you but your experience is not universal and this is pretty ignorant. Those of us who have been raped/assaulted are going to find this kind of thing stressful and saying 'just relax' is never going to help. Actually, I don't think we need to be told it doesn't hurt either - I do find them painful, and being told 'just go and have it because it doesn't hurt' was wildly unhelpful for me because when it then did hurt, I panicked as I wasn't expecting it. I'm sorry for your loss but this is a personal choice and your 'advice' doesn't apply to everyone as you seem to think, routine smear testing looks to be replaced in the future with an at home HPV kit anyway which I am very in favour of.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11

This is a bit like telling someone with anxiety to just "not feel anxious anymore". Sometimes, these feelings are irrational, and especially for people who are having their first smear it's the fear of the unknown. Great for you that you managed to kick the feelings of worry, but for some of us it just isn't that simple.

I am really sorry for your loss.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I think it is important to think of something that can help people cope better. That could be listening to something like music/podcast etc. Breathing techniques can really help too. Close the eyes, drop the shoulders breathing in for four and out for eight. One of the important things to think about is understanding what makes you so nervous and trying to work out how to overcome it.

I find smears difficult after two upsetting labour experiences, and cannot stand the thought of being prodded and poked. Lots of emotions are stirred up. I also find them painful and they cause me to bleed. I still get it done, but it really isnt as straight forward as 'just relax, it doesnt hurt'.

I have HPV and am due my first smear since finding that out. I keep forgetting to book it 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I find smears difficult after two upsetting labour experiences, and cannot stand the thought of being prodded and poked. Lots of emotions are stirred up. I also find them painful and they cause me to bleed. I still get it done, but it really isnt as straight forward as 'just relax, it doesnt hurt'.

I have HPV and am due my first smear since finding that out. I keep forgetting to book it 🤦🏻‍♀️
I’m sorry to hear you had difficult labours. Some hospitals offer a talking service where by you can talk through what was happening and hopefully answering why with a midwife. This can help as a therapy to move forward in processing what you experienced. Maybe that may help? Completely understand if not, it isn’t for everyone

I’m sorry to hear you had difficult labours. Some hospitals offer a talking service where by you can talk through what was happening and hopefully answering why with a midwife. This can help as a therapy to move forward in processing what you experienced. Maybe that may help? Completely understand if not, it isn’t for everyone
Thank you ❤ I had a debrief from my first labour (where the trauma stemmed from) and while it confirmed what I thought and I got an apology, the damage was done lol.

• Sad
Reactions: 3

Cervical smears are terribly painful and traumatic for me, and many women I know. It hurts very, very badly and simply telling people to 'relax' is a bit like telling a drug addict to 'stop taking drugs'. I'm sorry for your loss but you are widely off the mark for a lot of people. It is invasive and traumatic.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I know this thread hasn’t been posted in for a while but wasn’t sure where else to ask this!
has anyone had hpv show up 3 times (over 3 years)? Rang the doctors yesterday as had been waiting 7 weeks for my smear results and the receptionist told me I need a colposcopy but can’t tell me why! And no doctor can speak to me until next week. Assuming that it is that I’ve still got hpv but just worrying now! What is a colposcopy like if any ones had one? Thank you

I know this thread hasn’t been posted in for a while but wasn’t sure where else to ask this!
has anyone had hpv show up 3 times (over 3 years)? Rang the doctors yesterday as had been waiting 7 weeks for my smear results and the receptionist told me I need a colposcopy but can’t tell me why! And no doctor can speak to me until next week. Assuming that it is that I’ve still got hpv but just worrying now! What is a colposcopy like if any ones had one? Thank you
I posted about my experience with it on page 5 of this thread 👍