Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
I did it! I had my smear test this morning so now keeping my fingers crossed that it comes back fine (was great news hearing that if it is okay then I don’t need another one for 5 years!).
Also apparently my cervix is at a funny angle and was slightly more difficult to access, which could explain why I found my previous test (and this one to be honest) painful!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I’m so glad I found this thread. I’m now 32 and had my first (and only) smear test when I turned 20.

At the time I’d only had sex a few times and had found it really uncomfortable so was pretty nervous going in to my appointment.
I ended up being so tense that although the nurse got a sample I started bleeding, quickly turned grey and then threw up in the sink! The nurse had to phone my sister to pick me up and I couldn’t go in to work that day.
Ever since then I’ve been terrified of going back for another appointment and so I’ve just ignored my reminder letters. I eventually plucked up the courage to book an appointment back in March after some nagging from my boyfriend but it was cancelled due to the pandemic and I’ve never re-booked it.

I don’t have any history of sexual trauma but I’ve always felt uncomfortable with things being put inside me (I’ve never successfully managed to insert a tampon or menstrual cup), and even now with a boyfriend of more than 3 years I still don’t find sex comfortable.
I know how important and life saving this test can be but the thought of going through it makes me feel physically ill.

I’m so happy I found this space to write all that out, and thank you to any one reading this (who hopefully won’t judge!).

• Heart
Reactions: 15

tsuyu

Chatty Member
I did it! I had my smear today and I am so relieved it’s out of the way. The nurse was really lovely and she used the smallest speculum without me having to ask (I guess because I’m a smaller person anyway?) and I didn’t feel a thing. It wasn’t even that uncomfortable, just a little pressure when she opened it up, I couldn’t feel anything when she was doing the thing to the cervix and that was the part I was most worried about

I definitely built it up in my head as I couldn’t sleep at all last night and was reading a lot of horror stories online 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 14

judgejohndeed

VIP Member
Why though? I found it easy to relax right from my first smear as have everyone I know that has them. It's over very quickly and it doesn't hurt, so if you go in with that mindset then you'd find it easier to relax.

If more people stated it doesn't hurt etc then more women would have them instead of those who are scared not going for them. Sorry but I have a family member who died from Cervical Cancer because she was too scared to have her smears, so my advice is to have them and not fear them.
That's great for you but your experience is not universal and this is pretty ignorant. Those of us who have been raped/assaulted are going to find this kind of thing stressful and saying 'just relax' is never going to help. Actually, I don't think we need to be told it doesn't hurt either - I do find them painful, and being told 'just go and have it because it doesn't hurt' was wildly unhelpful for me because when it then did hurt, I panicked as I wasn't expecting it. I'm sorry for your loss but this is a personal choice and your 'advice' doesn't apply to everyone as you seem to think, routine smear testing looks to be replaced in the future with an at home HPV kit anyway which I am very in favour of.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
I hate smear tests, I know I shouldn't say it, but I find them intolerable and I think there should be more help for women like me who really cannot cope with them. For those of you who say 'it's only a couple of minutes embarrassment/discomfort, you're very lucky. To me, it's torturous, truly unbearable and I have made the decision to opt-out. I also don't agree that the age should be lowered, results can vary wildly in the young and women have to undergo unnecessary treatment.

• Wow

judgejohndeed

VIP Member
Just came to update as I had my colposcopy today. First of all I felt a lot better because you all shared with me what would happen so thank you ♥ I got a bit nervous and tearful so I did say about my history which really helped. I’ve had 3 smears and I find when you tell them they are much gentler/nicer which I do think is a con as it should be this way for ALL women in my opinion, but yeah that was helpful.
What I really wanted to say though for anyone worrying is that this was less painful than a smear for me, which I was very surprised about. I did not need to even have a biopsy but the speculum didn’t hurt me at all when usually they do, and when she said you’ll feel a sting I felt nothing. I wouldn’t have even known she was putting the vinegar stuff on had I not been watching the screen, I couldn’t feel it at all. I think the stirrups made the whole thing more comfortable as well. I also did not need a gown, I kept my skirt on, and I didn’t have a pregnancy test.
So I’m back in a year from now for another smear and thank you all again so much ♥ I hadn’t told any of my IRL friends about this as I didn’t want them to be flapping etc so I’m grateful to have had people to talk to!

ETA: forgot to say I did some research and shiitake mushroom extract has been weirdly promising at clearing HPV in clinical trials. I’m really not into alternative medicine (genuinely no offence intended to anyone who is) and you could say the body would’ve cleared it anyway…but there was a trial of 10 women who took 3G a day for 6 months, after 6 months 5 of them (so 50%) had totally cleared it and another 3 cleared it after a couple more months. Like I say you might be sceptical and think it would’ve gone anyway but those are pretty good odds to me and worth trying something that is pretty inexpensive if you’ve got HPV coming up all the time, I’ve ordered some anyway!

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
I forgot to reply to this at the weekend.
I got my test results on Saturday after putting off having the test for 11 (almost 12) years and was absolutely relieved to find out it was clear and I don’t need another test for 5 years now.
I nearly fell on the floor crying because I was so sure that I’d put it off for so long that something was bound to be wrong!
I know I’ll work myself up in to a state in 5 years again but I’m so thankful that I went and had it done and now I know everything is okay 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 9

Sc00byDont

Just to update - I phoned to book an appointment this morning. It’s scheduled for the afternoon of 3rd of December. I was hoping it’d be sooner but the receptionist said they’re still delayed due to covid. Oh well, at least it’s booked.

• Heart

BettyCrocker

VIP Member
For anyone struggling with physical or psychological barriers in going for a cervical screening appointment- please confide in the health care team at your surgery/clinic. They can help to make you feel more comfortable and will have experience with this - please don’t suffer in silence or put off going altogether. X

• Heart
I'm so grateful to see this thread!
I went to the doctors in Jan of this year because I kept getting blood after sex. She examined me and said she could see some abnormalities on my cervix so did an urgent "2 week wait" (cancer) referral to my local hospital. I asked for a smear there and then at the appointment but the dr was adamant she could not smear me due to me being under 25 (I was 24 at the time, turned 25 in October) and said I must instead go on the hospital pathway.
I was seen in the gynaecology clinic 5 days later. I had a biopsy of the womb taken (no pain relief, and the most painful experience I have ever been through) and the consultant diagnosed me with "cervical ectropion" otherwise known as cervical erosion.
I've now had my letter for my smear but I'm petrified to book it! The whole experience of being referred on the cancer pathway was traumatic and worrying enough, I'm worried that the nurse is going to take one look at my cervix and put me through it all again. Although I'm fully aware she can see my record and I can chat to her about it, I can't budge the feeling of dread. I know I'll also be horrendously anxious for weeks waiting for the results.

I feel like I'm guaranteed to have an abnormal smear due to the ectropion (despite the fact I've googled and googled and googled and there seems to be no connection between an ectropion and cancer). I feel like I've already convinced myself my smear will be abnormal before I've even had it done. I have health anxiety as it is!
hey there! I never usually comment but I’ve just read your post and felt the need to reply!

I had exactly the same issue last year. I was bleeding on and off inbetween my periods for about 6 months but I’d come off the pill and assumed it was hormone related. I eventually booked an appointment with my GP who referred me to have an internal and external ultrasound. During this appointment I was told that everything was fine and not to worry at all. Obviously if you’re told that by the hospital, you tend to want to believe them! annoyingly over the next few months the issue persisted and I became more concerned. I am really lucky because I have private healthcare through my job and decided to pay the excess and use it. I got an appointment with a gynaecologist and she took one look at my cervix and said “you have a bad case of cervical ectropion”. I would have been petrified but had been following a gynaecologist on Insta called Gynae Geek (highly recommend following her) who had mentioned the condition in a post. she told me I could be treated then and there by painting a chemical on my cervix which would cauterise the bleeding. It didn’t hurt at all, I just had some cramping afterwards. She also carried out a smear test as a precaution and told me that if the bleeding symptoms reoccurred then I may need another procedure done but this time involving the use of heat to “burn” the tissue away.

Anyway I had some improvement but the bleeding again happened 2 months down the line. Annoyingly my smear also came back abnormal which freaked me out massively as I assumed it was due to the ectropion and convinced myself I actually had cancer. To cut a long story short I was referred to another gynaecologist. He performed the colposcopy etc and assured me there is NO LINK between ectropion and cervical cancer. Those results came back clear and then I was booked in to have the cervical tissue cauterised using heat. This procedure involved a local anaesthetic in my cervix which stung a little bit but was otherwise fine. They then “burnt” my cervix using a small device which emits heat. It took about 20 mins. It didn’t hurt at all, just felt weirdly warm around my groin area. I was fine afterwards, had some period type pains but managed to get the tube home by myself. Since then touch wood I’ve had absolutely no bleeding. It totally sorted out the issue.

To sum it up, please don’t be scared to attend your Smear due to your ectropion! They are completely unrelated and it does not put you at risk of having abnormal cell changes. Also if your bleeding is persisting and bothering you, pester them for further treatment because it isn’t something you should have to put up with. I am the biggest wuss when it comes to medical procedures but honestly the treatment was worth it to now be without abnormal bleeding. Hope this helps!

• Heart
Reactions: 8

WilmaHun

VIP Member
Why though? I found it easy to relax right from my first smear as have everyone I know that has them. It's over very quickly and it doesn't hurt, so if you go in with that mindset then you'd find it easier to relax.

If more people stated it doesn't hurt etc then more women would have them instead of those who are scared not going for them. Sorry but I have a family member who died from Cervical Cancer because she was too scared to have her smears, so my advice is to have them and not fear them.
This is a bit like telling someone with anxiety to just "not feel anxious anymore". Sometimes, these feelings are irrational, and especially for people who are having their first smear it's the fear of the unknown. Great for you that you managed to kick the feelings of worry, but for some of us it just isn't that simple.

I am really sorry for your loss.

• Heart

Sc00byDont

I had to make a burner for this because I’m so embarrassed. I’m 30 years old. I’ve always had irregular periods ever since I got my first aged 12. I maybe get 3 a year maximum and they are heavy and last for a long time. I went to the doctor when I was about 17 to discuss it but the doctor was awful; it was traumatic. She basically told me that my bmi was too high for my age and that losing weight would sort my periods.

After that, I was completely shut off from going to the doctor about anything gynaecology related (and anything else really, I go as little as humanly possible).

Obviously, I’ve ignored smear tests. I know how stupid this is and truthfully it’s the shame and embarrassment of not going that stops me from going 😶

My logical brain knows this is completely backwards. It makes no sense.

This thread has kind of made me turn a corner. I’m going to book the test tomorrow. I know it’ll be uncomfortable (emotionally) eg explaining why I’ve avoided it and that my period is not regular. Truth be told, I’m terrified.

Terrified of the results but also of how the nurse / doctor treats me 😦. I really hope they don’t shame me for non attendance / not seeking help about irregular cycles before now.

Sorry for rambling and well done if you got this far. I’ll report back with what happens, If anyone is interested.

Ps. Thanks to all for sharing their experiences, knowledge and fears.

• Heart

BettyCrocker

VIP Member
I think it’s really hard to share stuff like this, especially if the reasoning is something very personal. It’s not like you can openly say it when smear tests occasionally come up in conversation. And although I know you can tell the nurse, I don’t want to as it’s not a conversation I want to have.

On the other hand I’ve just started trying for a baby and in the back of my mind I always think it’s something I should have had done, but I just can’t.

I get frustrated with myself too but we shouldn’t be too hard on ourselves x
don’t beat yourself up, if it’s hard for you then it’s not something you can magically change.
That being said, after the process of childbirth you may feel differently!!!!! After having multiple midwifes digging around in there during a sweep or during childbirth itself - all of that is far more intense than having a smear test. After a few children I honestly don’t even bat an eyelid at any kind of intimate examination. I’m not saying that to cause any alarm - far from it. I think it’s just one of those things that when it has to be done, it has to be done yknow.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

BettyCrocker

VIP Member
Oh! Just saw this thread because I was searching for some experiences (original post was in reply to me haha over on another thread)

I have my smear booked for next week, I've booked the morning off work for it and I'm so nervous :( My boyfriend was meant to be coming with me, just to wait in the car but as he has a job interview at the same time as my appointment I'm having to brave it alone :/

I'm so scared it'll hurt. TMI, but I find sex painful ever since I got the implant (I've had that removed this year), to the point where I've bled slightly after. Usually once I've adjusted to my partner the pain does goes away but not always (so sorry for the tmi). I've never even attempted to use tampons or menstural cups because I've never really liked the idea of putting anything in down there.
Ugh, the whole procedure just feels so intrusive. I don't want someone I don't know to see me naked down there :(

I just wish they taught us about this in school, so it wasn't like venturing into the unknown with no idea what to expect. Part of me so badly wants to cancel the appointment but I'm too paranoid for the results to do that
Ok so with regards on what to expect...

You go in, it’s usually done by a nurse if your at the GPs office. They will ask you a few general questions - like when your last period was/any irregularities etc
They will then tell you to go behind the curtain, take off your jeans & knickers and get on the couch. There’s usually a paper sheet thing that you can pop over you so that you don’t feel completely exposed. When you’ve done that you tell the nurse you are ready. They will come in, ask you to scoot down to the end of the couch, lay back and bend your legs letting your knees fall apart keeping ankles together. The nurse will then use a little plastic gadget called a speculum to pop inside the vagina so they can see the cervix. This doesn’t hurt - it’s more just pressure. They will then use a wee brush that looks like a long mascara wand to brush over the cervix. It takes literally 30 seconds from start to finish - honestly. She will take the speculum out and then let you get dressed etc. Tell the nurse that you are nervous and tell them about the pain you feel during intercourse. They usually use a bit of lube to help things stay comfortable and they usually chat away to you while they are doing it.

I know it feels daunting but please remember that the nurse has seen it all before and honestly to them, it’s no different to looking at someone’s ear or toe or nose. It’s just another part of the body! And the nurse will have had smear tests herself so she knows how you feel!!!!! It honestly is so quick and you’ll walk out of there wondering why you got so nervous!!!

you’ll be fine 🙂

• Heart

Pixipoppy

VIP Member
I put off having my first smear until I was 26 (I was living in wales and had been getting the dreaded letter since I was 21!). The nurse who did my first one was shit, awful people skills. I told her I was very anxious and she had a very abrupt “well let’s get on with it then!” approach. I think I cried beforehand but not while it was being done. Can’t really remember. That being said it barely hurt, and this is coming from someone who has had issues with painful sex/anxiety related to examinations. Really wasn’t anything to worry about it was just like the awkward feeling of when you put in a mooncup (if anyone can relate) - it’s uncomfortable but not a sharp pain.

Results came back as high grade abnormalities or whatever they call them. I remember seeing the word “severe” on the letter and was convinced I had cancer. No one I knew talked about this and I didn’t realise how bloody common this all was.

Had my first colposcopy and I think they did a biopsy, which came back as CIN3 so then I had LLETZ and the bit they chopped off was CIN1 so god knows how that happened in between my 2 appointments! I don’t remember the LLETZ being painful but I do remember the weird clear liquid that came out for weeks afterwards and it smelled like burning (nice!).

Now I’m always really eager to talk about smears and reassure people because I know back then I would have loved to talk to someone who went through something similar. I honestly thought I was a goner. The doctors never really told me anything or what to expect/what this meant ... just felt like I was in the dark. Now I know it’s because it’s such a routine minor procedure but to me it was a massive ordeal!

• Heart

emmer_moans

VIP Member
I just wish they taught us about this in school, so it wasn't like venturing into the unknown with no idea what to expect.
This. I think we are let down by our schools. A lot of us are also brought up in families that doesn’t discuss this sort of thing you so you end up finding out bits and bobs from reading news articles or threads such as this.

In the interest of balance I’ll say my experiences were uncomfortable but I now know I can do them again when they are due, and the relief of having had them done is good.

I had my first smear this year after avoiding it. Results came back fine but they had to use the smallest speculum because for the life of me I could not relax. I would say I have White Lab Coat syndrome so as soon as I have to go to the doctors or dentists about anything I tense up.

So for anyone who has not been to a smear yet, it seems for some people it is “nothing” but for some of us it can be quite uncomfortable but you do have to try to push through and get it done for the peace of mind. I actually had a nurse who had an appalling bedside manner who basically tried the biggest speculum first so I said nun-uh, can you use a smaller one but she did nothing to make me feel supported so i was so tense it just didn’t work and I had to rebook, which was mortifying to me (I’m very sensitive).

The second time I went I managed but it was a struggle and they did have to use a smaller speculum, so it might be worth asking for that.
If going for the first time I would recommend booking the day off as annual leave if you are anxious, and try to get an early time slot so it is over with. Then you can relax and have the rest of the day to do something that you can look forward too, like shopping was for me. On the day of my first attempt where I was just unable to relax that I had to rebook, I had to go straight back to work, which was awful as I had to go whilst feeling so upset with myself.

In all, it’s not going to be a walk in the park for most but it is worth the try for peace of mind. I do wish however there would be a less invasive way to test it. Vaginas are designed to expand upon arousal, not when implements are inserted as a “cold start”. It’s so easy to feel useless in these situations but we do have to be kind to ourselves and if talking to a GP about concerns before a test can help then definitely do so.

Sometimes I think with these intimate checks if requires a bit of patience and perseverance.

I had to make a burner for this because I’m so embarrassed. I’m 30 years old. I’ve always had irregular periods ever since I got my first aged 12. I maybe get 3 a year maximum and they are heavy and last for a long time. I went to the doctor when I was about 17 to discuss it but the doctor was awful; it was traumatic. She basically told me that my bmi was too high for my age and that losing weight would sort my periods.

After that, I was completely shut off from going to the doctor about anything gynaecology related (and anything else really, I go as little as humanly possible).

Obviously, I’ve ignored smear tests. I know how stupid this is and truthfully it’s the shame and embarrassment of not going that stops me from going 😶

My logical brain knows this is completely backwards. It makes no sense.

This thread has kind of made me turn a corner. I’m going to book the test tomorrow. I know it’ll be uncomfortable (emotionally) eg explaining why I’ve avoided it and that my period is not regular. Truth be told, I’m terrified.

Terrified of the results but also of how the nurse / doctor treats me 😦. I really hope they don’t shame me for non attendance / not seeking help about irregular cycles before now.

Sorry for rambling and well done if you got this far. I’ll report back with what happens, If anyone is interested.

Ps. Thanks to all for sharing their experiences, knowledge and fears.

Well done. I’m 30 too. I ignored the letter too because I am a very sensitive person and I hit a brick wall with the idea of it. Eventually around New Years I realised I didn’t want it hanging over me, so i went. As described above, because i am quite sensitive I had to try twice, but now the relief of clear results and a 3 year gap until the next one feels really good. Hold onto that goal, the feeling of having done it, and not having to do it again for a while. Just be kind to yourself on that day, you can do it ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart

Amyx1518

VIP Member
Had my letter through now and it says my cells are still normal just having to have a colposcopy because I’ve had hpv for 3 years. Was yours ok?
Hiya, I am a secretary in a colposcopy clinic. I can tell you that in our area (south west uk) it is normal protocol after 3 consecutive HPV positive smears that are normal in the cells, to have a colposcopic examination which if normal will see you discharged back to either routine recall (3/5 years) or 12 months, depending on the colposcopic impression when they look at your cervix. Be reassured that there are no actual cell changes (HPV doesn’t count as cell abnormality) :) hope it all goes well x

• Heart
Reactions: 6

Lulu Goss

VIP Member
I am 27 and haven’t been for my smear since I got the letter at 25. I know it’s bad but I’m struggling to pluck up the courage to go. I had one aged 15 at a clinic and it was a really horrible experience. I also had traumatic experiences as a child (sexual abuse) and so I find the whole thought of it daunting

I am 27 and haven’t been for my smear since I got the letter at 25. I know it’s bad but I’m struggling to pluck up the courage to go. I had one aged 15 at a clinic and it was a really horrible experience. I also had traumatic experiences as a child (sexual abuse) and so I find the whole thought of it daunting

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6