Women's health.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi everyone , I’m new to this I’ve been looking for a forum online. I’m just wondering if anyone had the same problems as me because it’s really starting to get me down 😥 I’ve just had my smear and found it uncomfortable the nurse said I have a tilted cervix and it came back I had hpv I had never even heard of hpv until she said now they test for it. I got the letter to say I had low hpv and cried my eyes out because I actually thought it was like a Sti? Or something to do with the cancerous cells. I had to google it on the nhs to see what it actually was. Which slightly put my mind at rest, but my second problem (lol) is I’m very embarrassed but it’s getting a everyday problem I’m 32 I’ve got a 2 year old son so could be the reason I’m tired but I’ve got a really low labido I’ve been trying to find pills creams ect to try make it better but nothing works and when it comes to ‘doing the deed’ I just can’t get turned on and it’s painful for both me and him. I’ve rang the doctors but she just use lube but it’s embarrassing, my partner thinks I don’t fancy him anymore and now I’m telling him I’m on my period to try get out of sex 🙈 oh god it’s a nightmare 😥 has this happened to anyone else? Has anything worked sorry for the long essay it’s just really starting to destroy me know I don’t know what to do 😥

Hi there! I’m after a little advice and didn’t know where to ask for it until I discovered this thread.

So, about four weeks ago I started getting these pains in my lower stomach but I dismissed them as period pains because I was due on at the time. Anyway, my period didn’t come until two weeks later (very unusual for me, I’ve always had regular cycles) and my period was super heavy for the first few days (again, unusual). When I came off, the pains I was experiencing before my period came are still there only now they’ve become super uncomfortable. Sometimes when I’m sat down I can feel a sudden, sharp pain in either my left side or right side (it varies each day) but today, whilst pottering around the house I’ve been able to feel something... I can’t explain it but it just feels like a ball in my stomach?! I’m definitely not pregnant either, I did a test a few weeks ago to make sure. I know you shouldn’t google your symptoms but I have been and I’m stressing out that I’ve got ovarian cancer or something. I have contacted my GP explaining my symptoms and they will be getting back to me within the next few days. I’ve been losing so much sleep over this lately as I know a few women in my family have had breast cancer and things like PCOS, Endometriosis and Ovarian Cysts. I’ve not had any bleeding either other than the period. All I’ve experienced is this awful stomach pain.

Sorry for the long post, I hope it all made sense I’m so crap at explaining things 😂

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
Is anyone finding it a bit annoying that they now only test for HPV? If HPV negative, then they don't check your cells? This is quite worrying as I know a few people who had abnormal cells but didn't have HPV. My last smear was in 2017 when they checked the cells and it was clear, this year I had it and just said HPV negative, therefore they don't check the cells. If they're going to do smear tests then they need to bloody do it properly. If I want to know whether I have HPV then I'd pay myself to find out but I don't care. I just want to know if my cells are normal or abnormal. So I'm not happy with this and I'm trying to find a private clinic where they will check the cells but so far, no clinics are! Unless I pay private for a colposcopy which I've been quoted nearly 3k. Private online test only checks for HPV. I just can't settle down about it.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 4
Is anyone finding it a bit annoying that they now only test for HPV? If HPV negative, then they don't check your cells? This is quite worrying as I know a few people who had abnormal cells but didn't have HPV. My last smear was in 2017 when they checked the cells and it was clear, this year I had it and just said HPV negative, therefore they don't check the cells. If they're going to do smear tests then they need to bloody do it properly. If I want to know whether I have HPV then I'd pay myself to find out but I don't care. I just want to know if my cells are normal or abnormal. So I'm not happy with this and I'm trying to find a private clinic where they will check the cells but so far, no clinics are! Unless I pay private for a colposcopy which I've been quoted nearly 3k. Private online test only checks for HPV. I just can't settle down about it.
There’s a girl on insta (charls_cervical_cancer) that had a negative smear test in September but had other symptoms (bleeding after sex etc) so pushed it and was diagnosed in October with Cervical cancer. It’s terrifying.

Reactions: 1
Glad to see a thread about this. I've got to bite the bullet and book an appt. My periods are just so heavy it's getting me down. I've had to stay in today as I'm worried about leaking whilst I'm out. Has anyone had any experience of this. Hormonal contraception is a no no for me and all I keep getting suggested is the mirena coil.
I'm also unable to take hormonal contraception so my only option was the copper coil & I can't wait to get it removed! My periods are horrific but please remember that all contraception affects people in different ways.

hey there! I never usually comment but I’ve just read your post and felt the need to reply!

I had exactly the same issue last year. I was bleeding on and off inbetween my periods for about 6 months but I’d come off the pill and assumed it was hormone related. I eventually booked an appointment with my GP who referred me to have an internal and external ultrasound. During this appointment I was told that everything was fine and not to worry at all. Obviously if you’re told that by the hospital, you tend to want to believe them! annoyingly over the next few months the issue persisted and I became more concerned. I am really lucky because I have private healthcare through my job and decided to pay the excess and use it. I got an appointment with a gynaecologist and she took one look at my cervix and said “you have a bad case of cervical ectropion”. I would have been petrified but had been following a gynaecologist on Insta called Gynae Geek (highly recommend following her) who had mentioned the condition in a post. she told me I could be treated then and there by painting a chemical on my cervix which would cauterise the bleeding. It didn’t hurt at all, I just had some cramping afterwards. She also carried out a smear test as a precaution and told me that if the bleeding symptoms reoccurred then I may need another procedure done but this time involving the use of heat to “burn” the tissue away.

Anyway I had some improvement but the bleeding again happened 2 months down the line. Annoyingly my smear also came back abnormal which freaked me out massively as I assumed it was due to the ectropion and convinced myself I actually had cancer. To cut a long story short I was referred to another gynaecologist. He performed the colposcopy etc and assured me there is NO LINK between ectropion and cervical cancer. Those results came back clear and then I was booked in to have the cervical tissue cauterised using heat. This procedure involved a local anaesthetic in my cervix which stung a little bit but was otherwise fine. They then “burnt” my cervix using a small device which emits heat. It took about 20 mins. It didn’t hurt at all, just felt weirdly warm around my groin area. I was fine afterwards, had some period type pains but managed to get the tube home by myself. Since then touch wood I’ve had absolutely no bleeding. It totally sorted out the issue.

To sum it up, please don’t be scared to attend your Smear due to your ectropion! They are completely unrelated and it does not put you at risk of having abnormal cell changes. Also if your bleeding is persisting and bothering you, pester them for further treatment because it isn’t something you should have to put up with. I am the biggest wuss when it comes to medical procedures but honestly the treatment was worth it to now be without abnormal bleeding. Hope this helps!
I received cold coagulation in September for an ectropion as I've bled every day since 6th October last year and this treatment hasn't helped at all. I dont even know what a period is anymore as I bleed everyday, its making me miserable. Im going to contact them again for further treatment.

• Sad
I received cold coagulation in September for an ectropion as I've bled every day since 6th October last year and this treatment hasn't helped at all. I dont even know what a period is anymore as I bleed everyday, its making me miserable. Im going to contact them again for further treatment.
Yeah you definitely shouldn’t have to put up with that. I felt like my bleeding was continuous. Some people have ectropion and might only bleed a little after sex and in this case the minor treatments such as cold coagulation usually help. When the ectropion bleeding is much heavier, the best treatment method is literally burning the skin away and cauterising it.

Argh got my colposcopy referral from the hospital today and it’s going to take another six weeks for me to get my appointment after waiting an entire year for one - not impressed! 😐

I have been getting yearly smears since 2018 when they found I had HPV and cin1/2 - had a come biopsy then LLETZ to remove the cells, had a check up, all fine. Then I was working abroad and missed my Nov 2019 smear, missed a rearranged one in Feb because I was on my period, then covid happened and the hospital stopped doing them. Then I moved house in August and managed to get a smear ASAP with my new GP. Found out that I still have HPV, still have abnormal changes, need another colposcopy but now won’t be til mid Jan FFS! I don’t have any symptoms and I know CC develops slowly usually but it’s still a bit of a weight on my mind plus thinking about trying to conceive next year and so it’s kind of on hold until then because I don’t want to have to postpone again in case I get pregnant :(

I wonder if I should push for a more urgent appt but I would like to think that if they were genuinely concerned I would have been seen by now....? Is that too optimistic....??

Hi there! I’m after a little advice and didn’t know where to ask for it until I discovered this thread.

So, about four weeks ago I started getting these pains in my lower stomach but I dismissed them as period pains because I was due on at the time. Anyway, my period didn’t come until two weeks later (very unusual for me, I’ve always had regular cycles) and my period was super heavy for the first few days (again, unusual). When I came off, the pains I was experiencing before my period came are still there only now they’ve become super uncomfortable. Sometimes when I’m sat down I can feel a sudden, sharp pain in either my left side or right side (it varies each day) but today, whilst pottering around the house I’ve been able to feel something... I can’t explain it but it just feels like a ball in my stomach?! I’m definitely not pregnant either, I did a test a few weeks ago to make sure. I know you shouldn’t google your symptoms but I have been and I’m stressing out that I’ve got ovarian cancer or something. I have contacted my GP explaining my symptoms and they will be getting back to me within the next few days. I’ve been losing so much sleep over this lately as I know a few women in my family have had breast cancer and things like PCOS, Endometriosis and Ovarian Cysts. I’ve not had any bleeding either other than the period. All I’ve experienced is this awful stomach pain.

Sorry for the long post, I hope it all made sense I’m so crap at explaining things 😂
I hope you have managed to get an appointment and speak to a a qualified professional about this.

Yes this bothers me as well

I hope you have managed to get an appointment and speak to a a qualified professional about this.
Thank you. I booked an appointment with my GP the day after I posted in this thread. She felt my stomach and could see I was in some discomfort so has booked me in for an ultrasound scan with the hospital and that’s in over a weeks time. X

• Heart
Hi, following up on my previous comment. I went for a smear test on 3rd December and received the results in the post today.

Firstly, I’m 30 years old and have never had a smear. I think was nervous about the judgement aspect of it before I went - if the nurse would make me feel badly about delaying it for so long. That’s what kept me from booking it (as opposed to being embarrassed about the accrual procedure!) 🙄

The test was fine and took 5 mins end to end. I felt no pain and the nurse was amazing. She was so kind and reassuring, wow it felt like such a relief speaking to her. No judgement at all.

She talked me through each part of what she was doing, procedure wise which was great. If I had been nervous about this aspect of things, it would have put me at so much ease!

(During covid they have removed the privacy curtains, so just an FYI for anyone going for an exam, you will need to undress in front of the nurse)

She asked me a few questions eg could I currently be pregnant, when was my last period then done the exam. I told her I had been in pain recently with intermittent cramping / spotting etc and some days had been worse than others. She reassured me that those symptoms aren’t necessarily a sign of cancer but that either way after my smear test results I should make a GP appointment to look into it.

The results came today. No HPV found in my sample 🎉 which is great and (somewhat) of a relief. I’m wondering now though if you already have cancer, would you test positive for HPV?

(I also know that in very small numbers you can have cervical cancer without having HPV)

Now, although I’m glad and happy that I’ve had the exam, this pain is still bothering me. I’ll call the doctor today to book a follow up app.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Hi everyone , I’m new to this I’ve been looking for a forum online. I’m just wondering if anyone had the same problems as me because it’s really starting to get me down 😥 I’ve just had my smear and found it uncomfortable the nurse said I have a tilted cervix and it came back I had hpv I had never even heard of hpv until she said now they test for it. I got the letter to say I had low hpv and cried my eyes out because I actually thought it was like a Sti? Or something to do with the cancerous cells. I had to google it on the nhs to see what it actually was. Which slightly put my mind at rest, but my second problem (lol) is I’m very embarrassed but it’s getting a everyday problem I’m 32 I’ve got a 2 year old son so could be the reason I’m tired but I’ve got a really low labido I’ve been trying to find pills creams ect to try make it better but nothing works and when it comes to ‘doing the deed’ I just can’t get turned on and it’s painful for both me and him. I’ve rang the doctors but she just use lube but it’s embarrassing, my partner thinks I don’t fancy him anymore and now I’m telling him I’m on my period to try get out of sex 🙈 oh god it’s a nightmare 😥 has this happened to anyone else? Has anything worked sorry for the long essay it’s just really starting to destroy me know I don’t know what to do 😥
Did you ever get any help with this?

How does it work with HPV? I had it (and cin3) a few years ago and had LLETZ which removed the abnormal cells and my follow up smear was negative for cin and HPV. I had one 3 years later as normal and that was also negative for HPV. Am I right in that HPV is sexually transmitted? So in theory if I don’t sleep with anyone new I have very little chance of getting HPV again and therefore cervical cancer?
It does worry me a bit they no longer check the cells for each sample but I trust they know what they’re doing.

How was it?
I had the scan yesterday. I’d say most of it was a waste of time due to the fact on the letter it stated I need to fast for 6 hours prior to my appointment - so of course, I went in with an empty stomach and a full bladder as stated. Turns out I needed to eat but I did let them know the letter said I shouldn’t 🤷🏼‍♀️ Anyway, they couldn’t see everything clearly because I didn’t eat anything, they could see one ovary and could see clearly that it was on the larger side than ‘normal’. They couldn’t make out the other one so I am being booked in for a re scan. It’s extremely frustrating as I am still having these awful pains every day and have been for 8 weeks now. My period is late again this month, as stated in my first post, this is unusual for me. Hopefully in my next scan, they can give me a proper diagnosis and we can start looking into things. Thank you for asking x

• Heart
  • Sad
I had the scan yesterday. I’d say most of it was a waste of time due to the fact on the letter it stated I need to fast for 6 hours prior to my appointment - so of course, I went in with an empty stomach and a full bladder as stated. Turns out I needed to eat but I did let them know the letter said I shouldn’t 🤷🏼‍♀️ Anyway, they couldn’t see everything clearly because I didn’t eat anything, they could see one ovary and could see clearly that it was on the larger side than ‘normal’. They couldn’t make out the other one so I am being booked in for a re scan. It’s extremely frustrating as I am still having these awful pains every day and have been for 8 weeks now. My period is late again this month, as stated in my first post, this is unusual for me. Hopefully in my next scan, they can give me a proper diagnosis and we can start looking into things. Thank you for asking x
This is so frustrating :(. It must be so hard being in pain every day. The sooner you know what’s going on the better. Wishing you luck from afar x

• Heart
Reactions: 2

I've never heard of having to eat beforehand, when I had an ultrasound I had to make sure my bladder was very full, but no mention of food.

Thought I’d give an update. So, I’m no longer having the awful pains as intense / constant as before however I do still feel them when I’m resting. I think I’ve just learnt to deal with the pain now and can kind of ignore it whenever I’m pottering about 🤷🏼‍♀️

I haven’t had a period since February and I am not pregnant. I contacted my GP last week and mentioned that the scan I had back in Dec 2020, there seemed to be an issue in regards to me having not eaten beforehand (as the letter had stated) and my GP was quite confused as to why the sonographer would have mentioned this, as an empty stomach shouldn’t effect the scan itself, it’s a full bladder which is needed (which I did have!). She looked at the scan results and confirmed that the results were normal. Anyway, I mentioned that I’ve not had a period in two months and that I am still experiencing these cramps that I’ve been having for months. All my GP advised me to do was to log any symptoms that I get and come back to them if things get worse. I’ve got to at least wait a year if my period still hasn’t returned for them to be able to look into it any further. I’m just such a hypochondriac when it comes to health so I’m just left thinking about it daily which makes me stressed / anxious. I’ve not had any random bleeding, unusual discharge etc just to add.

• Heart
Thought I’d give an update. So, I’m no longer having the awful pains as intense / constant as before however I do still feel them when I’m resting. I think I’ve just learnt to deal with the pain now and can kind of ignore it whenever I’m pottering about 🤷🏼‍♀️

I haven’t had a period since February and I am not pregnant. I contacted my GP last week and mentioned that the scan I had back in Dec 2020, there seemed to be an issue in regards to me having not eaten beforehand (as the letter had stated) and my GP was quite confused as to why the sonographer would have mentioned this, as an empty stomach shouldn’t effect the scan itself, it’s a full bladder which is needed (which I did have!). She looked at the scan results and confirmed that the results were normal. Anyway, I mentioned that I’ve not had a period in two months and that I am still experiencing these cramps that I’ve been having for months. All my GP advised me to do was to log any symptoms that I get and come back to them if things get worse. I’ve got to at least wait a year if my period still hasn’t returned for them to be able to look into it any further. I’m just such a hypochondriac when it comes to health so I’m just left thinking about it daily which makes me stressed / anxious. I’ve not had any random bleeding, unusual discharge etc just to add.
I'm glad to hear your results were normal. Definitely keep a diary of your symptoms. Have you asked your gp about the anxiety it's causing you? I hope you feel better soon. ❤

So, new to this thread and looking for advice. I have been on the progesterone only pill for 20 years for heavy periods (I can’t take the normal pill because I get cluster headaches).

Smears have always been an issue and I have only had one which was never completed due to the pain (I am gay and have never had sex with a man- sorry for tmi,but trying to give context).

For five months I have been getting my periods again on a two- three week cycle (😔) so was referred for a smear which again couldn’t be done even with the smallest speculum. The nurse gave up and gave me the swab to do myself. I left in tears.

I have a colposcopy on Tuesday and am terrified but today my period started again. I don’t know what to expect or even if they can do it if I am bleeding. I am in the middle of a massive cluster with my headaches and not seeing things clearly. Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks 🥺

• Heart