Women's health.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve been to all of my smears, however I was about 1 year late for my latest one. I kept putting it off as I had found it quite uncomfortable.

turns out the fear and anxiety about NOT going was worse than the actual smear!

it’s such a relief to get a letter saying everything is a-ok! ☺

and if they do find something.. hopefully it’s caught early enough that it’s just zapping off some naughty cells.

all the nurses I’ve had, have been very nice and calm, especially the lady I had for my first ever smear, she was so reassuring.

Reactions: 4
I am 27 and haven’t been for my smear since I got the letter at 25. I know it’s bad but I’m struggling to pluck up the courage to go. I had one aged 15 at a clinic and it was a really horrible experience. I also had traumatic experiences as a child (sexual abuse) and so I find the whole thought of it daunting

I am 27 and haven’t been for my smear since I got the letter at 25. I know it’s bad but I’m struggling to pluck up the courage to go. I had one aged 15 at a clinic and it was a really horrible experience. I also had traumatic experiences as a child (sexual abuse) and so I find the whole thought of it daunting
Thank you for sharing. I’m in a very similar situation to yours (I’m 33 now) and it’s extremely hard for other people to understand. I get very frustrated with myself over it all.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I’m so glad I found this thread. I’m now 32 and had my first (and only) smear test when I turned 20.

At the time I’d only had sex a few times and had found it really uncomfortable so was pretty nervous going in to my appointment.
I ended up being so tense that although the nurse got a sample I started bleeding, quickly turned grey and then threw up in the sink! The nurse had to phone my sister to pick me up and I couldn’t go in to work that day.
Ever since then I’ve been terrified of going back for another appointment and so I’ve just ignored my reminder letters. I eventually plucked up the courage to book an appointment back in March after some nagging from my boyfriend but it was cancelled due to the pandemic and I’ve never re-booked it.

I don’t have any history of sexual trauma but I’ve always felt uncomfortable with things being put inside me (I’ve never successfully managed to insert a tampon or menstrual cup), and even now with a boyfriend of more than 3 years I still don’t find sex comfortable.
I know how important and life saving this test can be but the thought of going through it makes me feel physically ill.

I’m so happy I found this space to write all that out, and thank you to any one reading this (who hopefully won’t judge!).

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Thank you for sharing. I’m in a very similar situation to yours (I’m 33 now) and it’s extremely hard for other people to understand. I get very frustrated with myself over it all.
I think it’s really hard to share stuff like this, especially if the reasoning is something very personal. It’s not like you can openly say it when smear tests occasionally come up in conversation. And although I know you can tell the nurse, I don’t want to as it’s not a conversation I want to have.

On the other hand I’ve just started trying for a baby and in the back of my mind I always think it’s something I should have had done, but I just can’t.

I get frustrated with myself too but we shouldn’t be too hard on ourselves x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I think it’s really hard to share stuff like this, especially if the reasoning is something very personal. It’s not like you can openly say it when smear tests occasionally come up in conversation. And although I know you can tell the nurse, I don’t want to as it’s not a conversation I want to have.

On the other hand I’ve just started trying for a baby and in the back of my mind I always think it’s something I should have had done, but I just can’t.

I get frustrated with myself too but we shouldn’t be too hard on ourselves x
don’t beat yourself up, if it’s hard for you then it’s not something you can magically change.
That being said, after the process of childbirth you may feel differently!!!!! After having multiple midwifes digging around in there during a sweep or during childbirth itself - all of that is far more intense than having a smear test. After a few children I honestly don’t even bat an eyelid at any kind of intimate examination. I’m not saying that to cause any alarm - far from it. I think it’s just one of those things that when it has to be done, it has to be done yknow.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Im ok about smears fortunately, I do end up putting off actually booking it for a couple of months but the fear of not detecting something spurs me to do it in the end. It’s awkward for a few minutes then I can get on with my day. I think what helped me personally was giving birth twice. It really helped me get past that barrier of feeling embarrassed because you realise the nurses really have seen it all and they don’t care. I had a room full of people looking at and poking around my downstairs at one point during labour, after that a smear seems like small fries. I have so much sympathy for women who have fears and anxieties around smears, I’m very similar when it comes to procedures involving blood.

The one I’m struggling with now is sorting my implant out. It needs to be replaced as I’m quite a while past 3 years now. I’m just freaked out about the procedure of getting the old one out and them putting a new one in🤢 if I could be put under general for it then it would be fine but obviously that’s ott for such a small and quick procedure. I just think I’m going to faint or be sick and make it into a whole drama. Add to that the current situation, and I don’t even know if my doctors surgery is open or what the procedures are or which just makes me put it off for even longer. I know it needs to be done but it’s so daunting.

I used to be scared to death. Fortunately I’m of the age when smears were done much younger than they are now. Luckily for me too as I had stage 3 pre cancerous cells. If untreated this stage can develop into cancer. I had them all removed followed by ten years of yearly smears. If the age for getting smears was what it is now, I would most likely have had cervical cancer and not known until it was possibly too late.
back then also the wait for me to be seen on the NHS was 16 weeks!! Now 4 months when you have stage 3 is a pretty long time to be left in my opinion! Luckily my parents paid privately. I was assessed in the day, the surgeon called me from his personal mobile at the night, and said this needs removing immediately and he did it the next morning. It’s annoying to think that some people might not be as lucky as I was! I’m not sure what wait times are now.
So long story but if you’re scared, don’t be. It’s over before you know it. It doesn’t hurt it’s just uncomfortable. I’d rather have a smear than my ears pierced again.
A couple of minutes of feeling exposed and uncomfortable is nothing compared to the treatment for cancer. ❤

Reactions: 6
Im ok about smears fortunately, I do end up putting off actually booking it for a couple of months but the fear of not detecting something spurs me to do it in the end. It’s awkward for a few minutes then I can get on with my day. I think what helped me personally was giving birth twice. It really helped me get past that barrier of feeling embarrassed because you realise the nurses really have seen it all and they don’t care. I had a room full of people looking at and poking around my downstairs at one point during labour, after that a smear seems like small fries. I have so much sympathy for women who have fears and anxieties around smears, I’m very similar when it comes to procedures involving blood.

The one I’m struggling with now is sorting my implant out. It needs to be replaced as I’m quite a while past 3 years now. I’m just freaked out about the procedure of getting the old one out and them putting a new one in🤢 if I could be put under general for it then it would be fine but obviously that’s ott for such a small and quick procedure. I just think I’m going to faint or be sick and make it into a whole drama. Add to that the current situation, and I don’t even know if my doctors surgery is open or what the procedures are or which just makes me put it off for even longer. I know it needs to be done but it’s so daunting.
getting the implant out is easy, don’t sweat it.

they give you a local anaesthetic to numb your arm so you don’t feel anything. You just lay with your arm out, turn your head away if you want, and they do it. It take a few minutes and it’s not sore, sometimes you can feel pressure on your arm - as if someone is kneeling on it!!! But it’s not painful. Then they put a few steri strips on it and wrap a bandage around it and your done. Or if you are having a new one in, they do it at the same time. Quick & easy!

Reactions: 1
I used to be scared to death. Fortunately I’m of the age when smears were done much younger than they are now. Luckily for me too as I had stage 3 pre cancerous cells. If untreated this stage can develop into cancer. I had them all removed followed by ten years of yearly smears. If the age for getting smears was what it is now, I would most likely have had cervical cancer and not known until it was possibly too late.
back then also the wait for me to be seen on the NHS was 16 weeks!! Now 4 months when you have stage 3 is a pretty long time to be left in my opinion! Luckily my parents paid privately. I was assessed in the day, the surgeon called me from his personal mobile at the night, and said this needs removing immediately and he did it the next morning. It’s annoying to think that some people might not be as lucky as I was! I’m not sure what wait times are now.
So long story but if you’re scared, don’t be. It’s over before you know it. It doesn’t hurt it’s just uncomfortable. I’d rather have a smear than my ears pierced again.
A couple of minutes of feeling exposed and uncomfortable is nothing compared to the treatment for cancer. ❤
Sorry you had to go through this, but so glad everything is okay. This is the exact reason why smears are so important. Yes they aren't comfortable but they can save your life. It's more than worth it!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
An update after my post last night... I’ve booked my smear test for Monday. Already feeling panicky about it, wish me luck!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
An update after my post last night... I’ve booked my smear test for Monday. Already feeling panicky about it, wish me luck!
good luck! ☺ You might already know this, but I just recently found out you can ask for a smaller speculum or lube? I also find it painful so might be worth an ask! I think I’ll ask at my next one.

also this might sound silly but after my smear I always treat myself to some nice chocolates or wine as a “reward”🤣

Glad to see a thread about this. I've got to bite the bullet and book an appt. My periods are just so heavy it's getting me down. I've had to stay in today as I'm worried about leaking whilst I'm out. Has anyone had any experience of this. Hormonal contraception is a no no for me and all I keep getting suggested is the mirena coil.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Glad to see a thread about this. I've got to bite the bullet and book an appt. My periods are just so heavy it's getting me down. I've had to stay in today as I'm worried about leaking whilst I'm out. Has anyone had any experience of this. Hormonal contraception is a no no for me and all I keep getting suggested is the mirena coil.
The Mirena coil is still hormonal though, although in a lower dose and directly in the uterus.
Have your periods always been this heavy??

book in to see your GP, you don’t have to suffer in silence!!!

I had this, some days I could not move from my chair as I was too scared I would leak.

Assume you have had some tests etc done just to make sure all ok?

Mine came back clear but was advised to have the mirena coil fitted which I did. The heaviness stopped after about a week and it took about three months for it to completely stop. But it's a life changer.

Not sure how old you are, I was 46 when mine was fitted, so five years on due to be changed. My next one will take me over the menopause and I will never have it removed.

Hope that helps x

The Mirena coil is still hormonal though, although in a lower dose and directly in the uterus.
Have your periods always been this heavy??

book in to see your GP, you don’t have to suffer in silence!!!
Yeah they have, I've always had heavy painful periods since a year after I started then at 14. They get better after I've had a baby then over the years just get worse and worse it's been 4 years since my last baby. I'm lucky in that they only last 3-4 days but I'm so heavy that I still leak with a moon cup and two large sanitary pads. I had a scan just before I fell pregnant last time and they said my womb lining was slightly thickened but weren't concerned about it, just warned me that it could affect fertility which it didn't.

I know I've got to book myself in, I'm a midwife and always nag everyone else to sort out their gynae health but I also get scared. I'm up to date with smears and have no issues with spotting in between. But they just push the mirena which I know is hormonal so can't take it (plus I am oddly weirded out about having something in my body).

I'd be happy for them to take the whole lot out. I don't want anymore children and it's just a pain. My eldest also is struggling with heavy periods too, if seems to be a family curse.

I have never been able to get on with any kind of hormonal contraceptive apart from Dianette, which they stopped being prescribed solely as an oral contraceptive (typical). Everything I tried before and since made me sick. After our 4th child I had the Mirena. Was supposed to be a miracle solution but it was awful for me. I know its only a low dose of hormone but I think I must be particularly sensitive to any changes in my body's normal make-up, because I had nothing but problems with it. Continuous spotting, night sweats, spots, too many other things to mention. I gave it 4 months to see if it would settle down but getting the damn thing out was such a relief.

I have never been able to get on with any kind of hormonal contraceptive apart from Dianette, which they stopped being prescribed solely as an oral contraceptive (typical). Everything I tried before and since made me sick. After our 4th child I had the Mirena. Was supposed to be a miracle solution but it was awful for me. I know its only a low dose of hormone but I think I must be particularly sensitive to any changes in my body's normal make-up, because I had nothing but problems with it. Continuous spotting, night sweats, spots, too many other things to mention. I gave it 4 months to see if it would settle down but getting the damn thing out was such a relief.

But they just push the mirena .
Yep :( and when you have problems with it 'oh it can't be the Mirena'.

Reactions: 1
I did it! I had my smear test this morning so now keeping my fingers crossed that it comes back fine (was great news hearing that if it is okay then I don’t need another one for 5 years!).
Also apparently my cervix is at a funny angle and was slightly more difficult to access, which could explain why I found my previous test (and this one to be honest) painful!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I'm so grateful to see this thread!
I went to the doctors in Jan of this year because I kept getting blood after sex. She examined me and said she could see some abnormalities on my cervix so did an urgent "2 week wait" (cancer) referral to my local hospital. I asked for a smear there and then at the appointment but the dr was adamant she could not smear me due to me being under 25 (I was 24 at the time, turned 25 in October) and said I must instead go on the hospital pathway.
I was seen in the gynaecology clinic 5 days later. I had a biopsy of the womb taken (no pain relief, and the most painful experience I have ever been through) and the consultant diagnosed me with "cervical ectropion" otherwise known as cervical erosion.
I've now had my letter for my smear but I'm petrified to book it! The whole experience of being referred on the cancer pathway was traumatic and worrying enough, I'm worried that the nurse is going to take one look at my cervix and put me through it all again. Although I'm fully aware she can see my record and I can chat to her about it, I can't budge the feeling of dread. I know I'll also be horrendously anxious for weeks waiting for the results.

I feel like I'm guaranteed to have an abnormal smear due to the ectropion (despite the fact I've googled and googled and googled and there seems to be no connection between an ectropion and cancer). I feel like I've already convinced myself my smear will be abnormal before I've even had it done. I have health anxiety as it is!

• Sad
  • Heart
I'm so grateful to see this thread!
I went to the doctors in Jan of this year because I kept getting blood after sex. She examined me and said she could see some abnormalities on my cervix so did an urgent "2 week wait" (cancer) referral to my local hospital. I asked for a smear there and then at the appointment but the dr was adamant she could not smear me due to me being under 25 (I was 24 at the time, turned 25 in October) and said I must instead go on the hospital pathway.
I was seen in the gynaecology clinic 5 days later. I had a biopsy of the womb taken (no pain relief, and the most painful experience I have ever been through) and the consultant diagnosed me with "cervical ectropion" otherwise known as cervical erosion.
I've now had my letter for my smear but I'm petrified to book it! The whole experience of being referred on the cancer pathway was traumatic and worrying enough, I'm worried that the nurse is going to take one look at my cervix and put me through it all again. Although I'm fully aware she can see my record and I can chat to her about it, I can't budge the feeling of dread. I know I'll also be horrendously anxious for weeks waiting for the results.

I feel like I'm guaranteed to have an abnormal smear due to the ectropion (despite the fact I've googled and googled and googled and there seems to be no connection between an ectropion and cancer). I feel like I've already convinced myself my smear will be abnormal before I've even had it done. I have health anxiety as it is!
hey there! I never usually comment but I’ve just read your post and felt the need to reply!

I had exactly the same issue last year. I was bleeding on and off inbetween my periods for about 6 months but I’d come off the pill and assumed it was hormone related. I eventually booked an appointment with my GP who referred me to have an internal and external ultrasound. During this appointment I was told that everything was fine and not to worry at all. Obviously if you’re told that by the hospital, you tend to want to believe them! annoyingly over the next few months the issue persisted and I became more concerned. I am really lucky because I have private healthcare through my job and decided to pay the excess and use it. I got an appointment with a gynaecologist and she took one look at my cervix and said “you have a bad case of cervical ectropion”. I would have been petrified but had been following a gynaecologist on Insta called Gynae Geek (highly recommend following her) who had mentioned the condition in a post. she told me I could be treated then and there by painting a chemical on my cervix which would cauterise the bleeding. It didn’t hurt at all, I just had some cramping afterwards. She also carried out a smear test as a precaution and told me that if the bleeding symptoms reoccurred then I may need another procedure done but this time involving the use of heat to “burn” the tissue away.

Anyway I had some improvement but the bleeding again happened 2 months down the line. Annoyingly my smear also came back abnormal which freaked me out massively as I assumed it was due to the ectropion and convinced myself I actually had cancer. To cut a long story short I was referred to another gynaecologist. He performed the colposcopy etc and assured me there is NO LINK between ectropion and cervical cancer. Those results came back clear and then I was booked in to have the cervical tissue cauterised using heat. This procedure involved a local anaesthetic in my cervix which stung a little bit but was otherwise fine. They then “burnt” my cervix using a small device which emits heat. It took about 20 mins. It didn’t hurt at all, just felt weirdly warm around my groin area. I was fine afterwards, had some period type pains but managed to get the tube home by myself. Since then touch wood I’ve had absolutely no bleeding. It totally sorted out the issue.

To sum it up, please don’t be scared to attend your Smear due to your ectropion! They are completely unrelated and it does not put you at risk of having abnormal cell changes. Also if your bleeding is persisting and bothering you, pester them for further treatment because it isn’t something you should have to put up with. I am the biggest wuss when it comes to medical procedures but honestly the treatment was worth it to now be without abnormal bleeding. Hope this helps!

• Heart
Reactions: 8