Women's health.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
hey there! I never usually comment but I’ve just read your post and felt the need to reply!

I had exactly the same issue last year. I was bleeding on and off inbetween my periods for about 6 months but I’d come off the pill and assumed it was hormone related. I eventually booked an appointment with my GP who referred me to have an internal and external ultrasound. During this appointment I was told that everything was fine and not to worry at all. Obviously if you’re told that by the hospital, you tend to want to believe them! annoyingly over the next few months the issue persisted and I became more concerned. I am really lucky because I have private healthcare through my job and decided to pay the excess and use it. I got an appointment with a gynaecologist and she took one look at my cervix and said “you have a bad case of cervical ectropion”. I would have been petrified but had been following a gynaecologist on Insta called Gynae Geek (highly recommend following her) who had mentioned the condition in a post. she told me I could be treated then and there by painting a chemical on my cervix which would cauterise the bleeding. It didn’t hurt at all, I just had some cramping afterwards. She also carried out a smear test as a precaution and told me that if the bleeding symptoms reoccurred then I may need another procedure done but this time involving the use of heat to “burn” the tissue away.

Anyway I had some improvement but the bleeding again happened 2 months down the line. Annoyingly my smear also came back abnormal which freaked me out massively as I assumed it was due to the ectropion and convinced myself I actually had cancer. To cut a long story short I was referred to another gynaecologist. He performed the colposcopy etc and assured me there is NO LINK between ectropion and cervical cancer. Those results came back clear and then I was booked in to have the cervical tissue cauterised using heat. This procedure involved a local anaesthetic in my cervix which stung a little bit but was otherwise fine. They then “burnt” my cervix using a small device which emits heat. It took about 20 mins. It didn’t hurt at all, just felt weirdly warm around my groin area. I was fine afterwards, had some period type pains but managed to get the tube home by myself. Since then touch wood I’ve had absolutely no bleeding. It totally sorted out the issue.

To sum it up, please don’t be scared to attend your Smear due to your ectropion! They are completely unrelated and it does not put you at risk of having abnormal cell changes. Also if your bleeding is persisting and bothering you, pester them for further treatment because it isn’t something you should have to put up with. I am the biggest wuss when it comes to medical procedures but honestly the treatment was worth it to now be without abnormal bleeding. Hope this helps!
Thank you so much for your reply, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. It's nice to hear from somebody who has been through similar!

I've joined a few FB groups for cervical problems but I'll also definitely follow Gynae Geek - thanks for the recommendation.

It's reassuring to hear that you were told there is no link between ectropion and cancer. At my appointment where I was diagnosed, I was told "there would be no point in doing any treatment" so I didn't pursue matters but I think I probably will ask for details of what treatment would be available, as it does get me down not knowing when I will or won't bleed. Luckily I've been with my partner a long time and he's very understanding so the blood doesn't bother him but it's still embarrassing and really shouldn't be happening.

Thanks again for your message, I really appreciate it. Although I do still feel nervous I do know that I need to book my smear so I am going to try and arrange it some time next month when I have some time off work.

Reactions: 1
I had my first smear last year aged 25 and it picked up HPV.

I was supposed to have another one in May which was delayed due to pandemic but I complained to the NHS as I’d spent a year worrying about it and got it done a few weeks late (like others here I even find sex uncomfortable but I can’t go without a smear as I’m too paranoid so just force myself to get on with it).

My second smear showed cells changes so I went for a colposcopy at my local hospital and the wait for the results was horrendous, but then came back saying no cell changes which confused me as the smear picked up cell changes 🤷🏻‍♀️

So I was discharged from the clinic and now I’m back to 3 yearly smears and I’m terrified that somehow the colposcopy was wrong and when I next have a smear done they’ll pick up something even worse 🙄

I had my first smear last year aged 25 and it picked up HPV.

I was supposed to have another one in May which was delayed due to pandemic but I complained to the NHS as I’d spent a year worrying about it and got it done a few weeks late (like others here I even find sex uncomfortable but I can’t go without a smear as I’m too paranoid so just force myself to get on with it).

My second smear showed cells changes so I went for a colposcopy at my local hospital and the wait for the results was horrendous, but then came back saying no cell changes which confused me as the smear picked up cell changes 🤷🏻‍♀️

So I was discharged from the clinic and now I’m back to 3 yearly smears and I’m terrified that somehow the colposcopy was wrong and when I next have a smear done they’ll pick up something even worse 🙄
the cells on your cervix can change back & forth from being normal cells to abnormal cells. You can have an abnormal result and then the cells can change again and return to a normal state. Abnormal cells are not always cancerous. If you’ve had a colposcopy and smear done in the hospital and everything was clear take some reassurance from that. If you experience anything that worries you - bleeding/pain during or after sex, abnormal bleeding etc then go back to your GP.

Reactions: 4
Thank you so much for your reply, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. It's nice to hear from somebody who has been through similar!

I've joined a few FB groups for cervical problems but I'll also definitely follow Gynae Geek - thanks for the recommendation.

It's reassuring to hear that you were told there is no link between ectropion and cancer. At my appointment where I was diagnosed, I was told "there would be no point in doing any treatment" so I didn't pursue matters but I think I probably will ask for details of what treatment would be available, as it does get me down not knowing when I will or won't bleed. Luckily I've been with my partner a long time and he's very understanding so the blood doesn't bother him but it's still embarrassing and really shouldn't be happening.

Thanks again for your message, I really appreciate it. Although I do still feel nervous I do know that I need to book my smear so I am going to try and arrange it some time next month when I have some time off work.
I just remember how anxious I felt at the time! It’s horrible and what really helped me was talking to people. You soon realise how common these issues are and that you’re not alone!

I meant to add; the smear I had at the time was outside of my normal NHS routine smears. It was just done as a precaution and it was totally by chance I had some abnormal cells show. Last month I was invited for my usual NHS smear test and I felt anxious I would have cell changes again etc but thankfully when I received my letter, everything was clear!

and yes when you go for your Smear, the nurse may notice and mention your ectropion. I would discuss with her that the bleeding is bothersome and hopefully she will be able to refer you to look into options for having it sorted. I would at least try the chemical solution on the Cervix. I think that usually fixes the issue it’s just that mine was quite severe and needed further treatment.

the joys of being a women eh?! :)

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Have been reading but not posting. Wondering has anyone actually had a smear that showed HPV, gone back the next year, and it's been clear the second time?
I have to have the second one soon and I'm worried about the colposcopy, smears are traumatic enough for me for reasons I won't disclose, but I think a colposcopy would push me over the edge. Haven't ever heard of anyone who did have the HPV gone by the second smear though :(

Have been reading but not posting. Wondering has anyone actually had a smear that showed HPV, gone back the next year, and it's been clear the second time?
I have to have the second one soon and I'm worried about the colposcopy, smears are traumatic enough for me for reasons I won't disclose, but I think a colposcopy would push me over the edge. Haven't ever heard of anyone who did have the HPV gone by the second smear though :(
yes me 😖 I have no idea how it happened? Wondering if anyone can shed some light on it?

hey there! As mentioned in my post above, I had a smear done privately as a precaution when I was undergoing treatment for a separate issue. My results showed some minor cell changes and the HPV virus being present. I had the colposcopy and a biopsy done, and thankfully didn’t need any further treatment.

almost a year later, my NHS smear was due. I was really apprehensive about the results, I fully expected to have to undergo a colposcopy again as it was so recent since the smear I had done privately. Thankfully when I received my letter, everything was clear! the cervix and cell changes are so unpredictable in bad ways but also good, which is exactly why it’s important to keep on top of your smears.

Obviously everyone is different but hope this helps!

• Heart
yes me 😖 I have no idea how it happened? Wondering if anyone can shed some light on it?
Yours was clear the second time?
Basically HPV is just the virus that can cause cells to become cancerous but doesn't always. It's the same virus that causes warts. Usually, your body clears it within about 2 years. If you have HPV at one smear, they make you have the second the next year to see if the HPV has gone. If it hasn't, they offer the colposcopy. I really don't want to have this so I'm crossing everything that my second one comes back clear of HPV, however I'd never heard anyone tell me that the HPV had gone by the second smear. Even if at the colposcopy everything was fine. It can take longer than 2 years sometimes for the body to clear the HPV and lots of people seem to go for the colposcopy and be told there's nothing wrong there so I really don't want a procedure that I don't need that is going to traumatise me for weeks like the smear does.

hey there! As mentioned in my post above, I had a smear done privately as a precaution when I was undergoing treatment for a separate issue. My results showed some minor cell changes and the HPV virus being present. I had the colposcopy and a biopsy done, and thankfully didn’t need any further treatment.

almost a year later, my NHS smear was due. I was really apprehensive about the results, I fully expected to have to undergo a colposcopy again as it was so recent since the smear I had done privately. Thankfully when I received my letter, everything was clear! the cervix and cell changes are so unpredictable in bad ways but also good, which is exactly why it’s important to keep on top of your smears.

Obviously everyone is different but hope this helps!
Thanks, I did see your post but it's the colposcopy and biopsy part I really want to avoid! Really hoping I don't have to have it. Good to know it came back clear so quickly though!

Yours was clear the second time?
Basically HPV is just the virus that can cause cells to become cancerous but doesn't always. It's the same virus that causes warts. Usually, your body clears it within about 2 years. If you have HPV at one smear, they make you have the second the next year to see if the HPV has gone. If it hasn't, they offer the colposcopy. I really don't want to have this so I'm crossing everything that my second one comes back clear of HPV, however I'd never heard anyone tell me that the HPV had gone by the second smear. Even if at the colposcopy everything was fine. It can take longer than 2 years sometimes for the body to clear the HPV and lots of people seem to go for the colposcopy and be told there's nothing wrong there so I really don't want a procedure that I don't need that is going to traumatise me for weeks like the smear does.

Thanks, I did see your post but it's the colposcopy and biopsy part I really want to avoid! Really hoping I don't have to have it. Good to know it came back clear so quickly though!
thank you for this! The nurse didn’t explain it to my. My second one was clear so my body must have cleared the virus! I was so confused but I was too worried to call and ask I just wanted to believe the clear result 😅

• Heart
thank you for this! The nurse didn’t explain it to my. My second one was clear so my body must have cleared the virus! I was so confused but I was too worried to call and ask I just wanted to believe the clear result 😅
Ah this gives me hope! I'm debating putting it off a few months to give my body longer to clear it. It doesn't really make sense. If I got HPV the month before my smear last year, then it hasn't been two years so I probably still have it. And I'd have to go through a colposcopy to potentially just be told there's nothing wrong. I'm so glad to hear someone has had it come back clear quickly though. Will have to think about it.

Reactions: 2
Glad to see a thread about this. I've got to bite the bullet and book an appt. My periods are just so heavy it's getting me down. I've had to stay in today as I'm worried about leaking whilst I'm out. Has anyone had any experience of this. Hormonal contraception is a no no for me and all I keep getting suggested is the mirena coil.
I've had a few mirenas over the years, it's hormonal but a very low dose.

I loved mine, my periods stopped and I had no pmt

Oh! Just saw this thread because I was searching for some experiences (original post was in reply to me haha over on another thread)

I have my smear booked for next week, I've booked the morning off work for it and I'm so nervous :( My boyfriend was meant to be coming with me, just to wait in the car but as he has a job interview at the same time as my appointment I'm having to brave it alone :/

I'm so scared it'll hurt. TMI, but I find sex painful ever since I got the implant (I've had that removed this year), to the point where I've bled slightly after. Usually once I've adjusted to my partner the pain does goes away but not always (so sorry for the tmi). I've never even attempted to use tampons or menstural cups because I've never really liked the idea of putting anything in down there.
Ugh, the whole procedure just feels so intrusive. I don't want someone I don't know to see me naked down there :(

I just wish they taught us about this in school, so it wasn't like venturing into the unknown with no idea what to expect. Part of me so badly wants to cancel the appointment but I'm too paranoid for the results to do that

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Oh! Just saw this thread because I was searching for some experiences (original post was in reply to me haha over on another thread)

I have my smear booked for next week, I've booked the morning off work for it and I'm so nervous :( My boyfriend was meant to be coming with me, just to wait in the car but as he has a job interview at the same time as my appointment I'm having to brave it alone :/

I'm so scared it'll hurt. TMI, but I find sex painful ever since I got the implant (I've had that removed this year), to the point where I've bled slightly after. Usually once I've adjusted to my partner the pain does goes away but not always (so sorry for the tmi). I've never even attempted to use tampons or menstural cups because I've never really liked the idea of putting anything in down there.
Ugh, the whole procedure just feels so intrusive. I don't want someone I don't know to see me naked down there :(

I just wish they taught us about this in school, so it wasn't like venturing into the unknown with no idea what to expect. Part of me so badly wants to cancel the appointment but I'm too paranoid for the results to do that
Ok so with regards on what to expect...

You go in, it’s usually done by a nurse if your at the GPs office. They will ask you a few general questions - like when your last period was/any irregularities etc
They will then tell you to go behind the curtain, take off your jeans & knickers and get on the couch. There’s usually a paper sheet thing that you can pop over you so that you don’t feel completely exposed. When you’ve done that you tell the nurse you are ready. They will come in, ask you to scoot down to the end of the couch, lay back and bend your legs letting your knees fall apart keeping ankles together. The nurse will then use a little plastic gadget called a speculum to pop inside the vagina so they can see the cervix. This doesn’t hurt - it’s more just pressure. They will then use a wee brush that looks like a long mascara wand to brush over the cervix. It takes literally 30 seconds from start to finish - honestly. She will take the speculum out and then let you get dressed etc. Tell the nurse that you are nervous and tell them about the pain you feel during intercourse. They usually use a bit of lube to help things stay comfortable and they usually chat away to you while they are doing it.

I know it feels daunting but please remember that the nurse has seen it all before and honestly to them, it’s no different to looking at someone’s ear or toe or nose. It’s just another part of the body! And the nurse will have had smear tests herself so she knows how you feel!!!!! It honestly is so quick and you’ll walk out of there wondering why you got so nervous!!!

you’ll be fine 🙂

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I had to make a burner for this because I’m so embarrassed. I’m 30 years old. I’ve always had irregular periods ever since I got my first aged 12. I maybe get 3 a year maximum and they are heavy and last for a long time. I went to the doctor when I was about 17 to discuss it but the doctor was awful; it was traumatic. She basically told me that my bmi was too high for my age and that losing weight would sort my periods.

After that, I was completely shut off from going to the doctor about anything gynaecology related (and anything else really, I go as little as humanly possible).

Obviously, I’ve ignored smear tests. I know how stupid this is and truthfully it’s the shame and embarrassment of not going that stops me from going 😶

My logical brain knows this is completely backwards. It makes no sense.

This thread has kind of made me turn a corner. I’m going to book the test tomorrow. I know it’ll be uncomfortable (emotionally) eg explaining why I’ve avoided it and that my period is not regular. Truth be told, I’m terrified.

Terrified of the results but also of how the nurse / doctor treats me 😦. I really hope they don’t shame me for non attendance / not seeking help about irregular cycles before now.

Sorry for rambling and well done if you got this far. I’ll report back with what happens, If anyone is interested.

Ps. Thanks to all for sharing their experiences, knowledge and fears.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I would just say go anyone please book a test - please!

A girl I know never went for them, she died this year age 36 because by the time her cancer was discovered it was too late to treat.

I know some people find them really hard to face - but the cancer treatment you could require will be 100x worse.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I forgot to reply to this at the weekend.
I got my test results on Saturday after putting off having the test for 11 (almost 12) years and was absolutely relieved to find out it was clear and I don’t need another test for 5 years now.
I nearly fell on the floor crying because I was so sure that I’d put it off for so long that something was bound to be wrong!
I know I’ll work myself up in to a state in 5 years again but I’m so thankful that I went and had it done and now I know everything is okay 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Just to update - I phoned to book an appointment this morning. It’s scheduled for the afternoon of 3rd of December. I was hoping it’d be sooner but the receptionist said they’re still delayed due to covid. Oh well, at least it’s booked.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Just to update - I phoned to book an appointment this morning. It’s scheduled for the afternoon of 3rd of December. I was hoping it’d be sooner but the receptionist said they’re still delayed due to covid. Oh well, at least it’s booked.
well done, you will be fine, dont worry if you get a little bit of blood for a day afterwards thats normal. The nurse will explain it all to you anyway. They are used to people being nervous, im nervous every time and i have been going for years. It is over really quick and then usually its fine, and you havent got to go for 3 years x

I just wish they taught us about this in school, so it wasn't like venturing into the unknown with no idea what to expect.
This. I think we are let down by our schools. A lot of us are also brought up in families that doesn’t discuss this sort of thing you so you end up finding out bits and bobs from reading news articles or threads such as this.

In the interest of balance I’ll say my experiences were uncomfortable but I now know I can do them again when they are due, and the relief of having had them done is good.

I had my first smear this year after avoiding it. Results came back fine but they had to use the smallest speculum because for the life of me I could not relax. I would say I have White Lab Coat syndrome so as soon as I have to go to the doctors or dentists about anything I tense up.

So for anyone who has not been to a smear yet, it seems for some people it is “nothing” but for some of us it can be quite uncomfortable but you do have to try to push through and get it done for the peace of mind. I actually had a nurse who had an appalling bedside manner who basically tried the biggest speculum first so I said nun-uh, can you use a smaller one but she did nothing to make me feel supported so i was so tense it just didn’t work and I had to rebook, which was mortifying to me (I’m very sensitive).

The second time I went I managed but it was a struggle and they did have to use a smaller speculum, so it might be worth asking for that.
If going for the first time I would recommend booking the day off as annual leave if you are anxious, and try to get an early time slot so it is over with. Then you can relax and have the rest of the day to do something that you can look forward too, like shopping was for me. On the day of my first attempt where I was just unable to relax that I had to rebook, I had to go straight back to work, which was awful as I had to go whilst feeling so upset with myself.

In all, it’s not going to be a walk in the park for most but it is worth the try for peace of mind. I do wish however there would be a less invasive way to test it. Vaginas are designed to expand upon arousal, not when implements are inserted as a “cold start”. It’s so easy to feel useless in these situations but we do have to be kind to ourselves and if talking to a GP about concerns before a test can help then definitely do so.

Sometimes I think with these intimate checks if requires a bit of patience and perseverance.

I had to make a burner for this because I’m so embarrassed. I’m 30 years old. I’ve always had irregular periods ever since I got my first aged 12. I maybe get 3 a year maximum and they are heavy and last for a long time. I went to the doctor when I was about 17 to discuss it but the doctor was awful; it was traumatic. She basically told me that my bmi was too high for my age and that losing weight would sort my periods.

After that, I was completely shut off from going to the doctor about anything gynaecology related (and anything else really, I go as little as humanly possible).

Obviously, I’ve ignored smear tests. I know how stupid this is and truthfully it’s the shame and embarrassment of not going that stops me from going 😶

My logical brain knows this is completely backwards. It makes no sense.

This thread has kind of made me turn a corner. I’m going to book the test tomorrow. I know it’ll be uncomfortable (emotionally) eg explaining why I’ve avoided it and that my period is not regular. Truth be told, I’m terrified.

Terrified of the results but also of how the nurse / doctor treats me 😦. I really hope they don’t shame me for non attendance / not seeking help about irregular cycles before now.

Sorry for rambling and well done if you got this far. I’ll report back with what happens, If anyone is interested.

Ps. Thanks to all for sharing their experiences, knowledge and fears.

Well done. I’m 30 too. I ignored the letter too because I am a very sensitive person and I hit a brick wall with the idea of it. Eventually around New Years I realised I didn’t want it hanging over me, so i went. As described above, because i am quite sensitive I had to try twice, but now the relief of clear results and a 3 year gap until the next one feels really good. Hold onto that goal, the feeling of having done it, and not having to do it again for a while. Just be kind to yourself on that day, you can do it ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I did it! I had my smear today and I am so relieved it’s out of the way. The nurse was really lovely and she used the smallest speculum without me having to ask (I guess because I’m a smaller person anyway?) and I didn’t feel a thing. It wasn’t even that uncomfortable, just a little pressure when she opened it up, I couldn’t feel anything when she was doing the thing to the cervix and that was the part I was most worried about

I definitely built it up in my head as I couldn’t sleep at all last night and was reading a lot of horror stories online 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 14