Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

judgejohndeed

VIP Member
@pommynoir have you asked a medical professional about the safety of delaying it? Obviously it’s best to get it treated asap but my understanding is that cervical cancer grows very slowly. Speaking to a professional they’ll tell you straight if it’s okay to risk it or not. Your wedding is a huge and expensive event, it’s not silly that you want to enjoy that and not have the horrid side effects ruin this special time in your life!

Reactions: 4

Amyx1518

VIP Member
@pommynoir have you asked a medical professional about the safety of delaying it? Obviously it’s best to get it treated asap but my understanding is that cervical cancer grows very slowly. Speaking to a professional they’ll tell you straight if it’s okay to risk it or not. Your wedding is a huge and expensive event, it’s not silly that you want to enjoy that and not have the horrid side effects ruin this special time in your life!
I am a colposcopy secretary and we have a bit in our standard letters that says if you have anything special like a holiday or a wedding let us know and we will delay the treatment, so yes I’d say it’s fine to do that :)

• Heart

bongsandstuff

Chatty Member
are the tests and results you're getting back being done via. the gp or a gynae department at the hospital?? i found that when i was diagnosed with pcos the gp only suggested a referral once i had tried the combined pill which didn't agree with me hormonally or make a difference to my symptoms. i think you deserve better care either way - they're dismissing you when you have debilitating symptoms *and* a potential cause which i would really want investigating further!

(not saying you should try the pill btw but doctors often see referrals as a last resort when we should be listened to if it's clear something isn't right)
The blood tests are done by the gp and the ultrasounds were done in the hospital based on gp referral🙂 it’s just saddening that women are ignored like this, especially those of us that are young and would like to preserve our fertility! It would nice to know sooner rather than later if there’s a serious reproductive issue😵💫🤦🏻‍♀️

Have you tried any of the contraceptives on offer to see if they can relieve your symptoms and help you to manage your condition? If these can help, then it must be worth a try to give you a better quality of life?
Hi☺ I haven’t really been offered anything else besides the pill when I was 15 and honestly I don’t fancy it. The potential side effects and the issues they can cause fertility just aren’t worth it for me, especially when I may already struggle with fertility in the future if I do have this disease🥲

I know this thread hasn’t been posted in for a while but wasn’t sure where else to ask this!
has anyone had hpv show up 3 times (over 3 years)? Rang the doctors yesterday as had been waiting 7 weeks for my smear results and the receptionist told me I need a colposcopy but can’t tell me why! And no doctor can speak to me until next week. Assuming that it is that I’ve still got hpv but just worrying now! What is a colposcopy like if any ones had one? Thank you
Hey. It may be because you now have some cell changes due to the HPV. I’m no professional but this is what I have (HPV and low grade changes) so I needed a colposcopy x

Lola UK

VIP Member
I’ve been to all of my smears, however I was about 1 year late for my latest one. I kept putting it off as I had found it quite uncomfortable.

turns out the fear and anxiety about NOT going was worse than the actual smear!

it’s such a relief to get a letter saying everything is a-ok! ☺

and if they do find something.. hopefully it’s caught early enough that it’s just zapping off some naughty cells.

all the nurses I’ve had, have been very nice and calm, especially the lady I had for my first ever smear, she was so reassuring.

BettyCrockerr

VIP Member
@Pixipoppy @Gembo thank you both ♥ I find the information they give you really lacking. I’m not even actually worried about having cancer at this point, just the procedure itself and the aftermath (smears give me nightmares for weeks 😔)
I’ve had a colposcopy & LLETZ.

colposcopy:

the Dr will discuss what’s going to happen,usually in a side room/office. A general consultation based on why you are there etc. nurses will be there, who are usually lovely! They will take you through to the treatment room - I think you usually have to do a urine sample so they can make sure your not pregnant. you’ll be asked to go and out on a gown and undress from the waist down.
you’ll come back into the treatment room and lay on the examination bed/couch - it’s got the separate leg sections with stirups etc. You’ll get comfy, and you’ll be given a modesty sheet to cover yourself with it you want to. The nurses will stand talking to you and make sure your ok! The Dr will ask you to part your legs like a smear test and use a speculum, they will then use a microscope to look at the cervix and the image comes up on a screen beside them - the camera/microscope never goes inside you/never touches you.

they will use a swab with some solutions on it to dab onto the cervix to show the abnormal areas - so the swab will go inside and touch the cervix - not sore, but just feels cold. Smells like vinegar!!!

if they want to do biopsy they will give you a small injection of local anesthetic into the cervix - this feels like a sting abd lasts for just a second or two. You probably won’t feel them take the biopsy - I had them taken from the cervix and the uterus- the only thing I could feel was when they fit the uterus biopsy it felt like mild period cramps for a minute or two.

the lletz procedure is ok - you’ll be numb, they stick a plaster to your leg to keep the wire out of the way and the Dr will use the tool to take a small area of tissue off the cervix - you probably won’t feel anything other than it can feel quite warm - but not burning hot - just a warm sensation. I will say that this procedure does have a smell element to it, it smells like the way your hair smells if you’ve ever singed it on a candle or whatever!!!

after they have done it they use a solution to help the cervix heal and stay clean, then they take the speculum out and you’ll be helped to sit up, they will make sure your feeling ok and then let you get dressed and leave.

plesase let them know if you feel able to how you feel and the reasons why you are nervous - and take any medication you feel you need to be comfortable. you are doing a great thing in taking care of your health but I appreciate it must feel difficult given your history.

• Heart

skvallertant

Chatty Member
Hi guys,

If this is inappropriate then I'm sure it'll be removed, but this is just off the back of another thread where we were talking about the importance of proper sexual health advice and smear tests.

I'm 31 and I'm having a bilateral salpingo-oophrectomy due to family history and some quite large ovarian cysts. I am also under more-regular-than-usual observation with regards to cervical screening.

Just wondered if anyone has any experiences to share regarding this kind of thing or if chatting about women's issues would be helpful to others because, as much as I'm bricking it, I'm also interested in women's health and the importance of a discourse around it.

This was my most pertinent post from the other thread:

Please book your test!

I know it's uncomfortable and embarrassing and might be traumatic for some people*, but it takes like 3 minutes. It's just a little brush, a bit like a soft interdental brush but made of soft stuff instead of bristles. It might hurt, but it should be just a bit uncomfy. Then you may get some spotting but that's it. Cervical cancer is aggressive, that's why they test early and regularly.

Sorry. Soapbox.

*I don't mean to minimise this in any way.

• Heart

Base2019

VIP Member
I just wanted to say that please be persistent with the GP or consultants if you are having any issue even with clear smear results. Not trying to say that to scare anyone at all just saying it to please be aware of your own bodies so you know when something isn’t right. Cervical cancer can also be caused due to hormonal changes, it is not always down to HPV. It maddens me that the media is so conditioned to think it’s just HPV that causes it and that if a woman gets cervical cancer it must be because they “failed” to get their smear; this is not always the case.

If I didn’t persist and go to A&E I probably wouldn’t be here right now. I know women that had clear smear results and got cervical cancer. I also know women that got cervical cancer because the lab made an error on their smear results. If you feel like something isn’t right, please don’t give up

• Heart

justhavinganosie

Chatty Member
Is anyone finding it a bit annoying that they now only test for HPV? If HPV negative, then they don't check your cells? This is quite worrying as I know a few people who had abnormal cells but didn't have HPV. My last smear was in 2017 when they checked the cells and it was clear, this year I had it and just said HPV negative, therefore they don't check the cells. If they're going to do smear tests then they need to bloody do it properly. If I want to know whether I have HPV then I'd pay myself to find out but I don't care. I just want to know if my cells are normal or abnormal. So I'm not happy with this and I'm trying to find a private clinic where they will check the cells but so far, no clinics are! Unless I pay private for a colposcopy which I've been quoted nearly 3k. Private online test only checks for HPV. I just can't settle down about it.

• Sad
  • Angry

Sc00byDont

Hi, following up on my previous comment. I went for a smear test on 3rd December and received the results in the post today.

Firstly, I’m 30 years old and have never had a smear. I think was nervous about the judgement aspect of it before I went - if the nurse would make me feel badly about delaying it for so long. That’s what kept me from booking it (as opposed to being embarrassed about the accrual procedure!) 🙄

The test was fine and took 5 mins end to end. I felt no pain and the nurse was amazing. She was so kind and reassuring, wow it felt like such a relief speaking to her. No judgement at all.

She talked me through each part of what she was doing, procedure wise which was great. If I had been nervous about this aspect of things, it would have put me at so much ease!

(During covid they have removed the privacy curtains, so just an FYI for anyone going for an exam, you will need to undress in front of the nurse)

She asked me a few questions eg could I currently be pregnant, when was my last period then done the exam. I told her I had been in pain recently with intermittent cramping / spotting etc and some days had been worse than others. She reassured me that those symptoms aren’t necessarily a sign of cancer but that either way after my smear test results I should make a GP appointment to look into it.

The results came today. No HPV found in my sample 🎉 which is great and (somewhat) of a relief. I’m wondering now though if you already have cancer, would you test positive for HPV?

(I also know that in very small numbers you can have cervical cancer without having HPV)

Now, although I’m glad and happy that I’ve had the exam, this pain is still bothering me. I’ll call the doctor today to book a follow up app.

• Heart
Reactions: 3

bongsandstuff

Chatty Member
Going on the pill is a vicious circle when it comes to this sort of thing, if you don't have a diagnosis yet I wouldn't do it. I have endo and it was ignored by doctors for years because my symptoms were 'managed' due to being on the pill. They wouldn't do a laparoscopy on me while I was on it. It wasn't until I'd been off the pill and back to fainting/being unable to move from pain when I had periods, and I was steadfast that I wanted an answer and not just fobbed off with the pill again, that anyone bothered to look into it more. If you're trying to get an answer I definitely would not go on the pill until you have one. Getting something that masks your symptoms is not an answer, and there are lots of valid reasons not to want to go on the pill - it affects the mental health of a lot of women.
I personally do not want to take any medicinal forms of birth control and never have done🙂 it just doesn’t agree with me, especially after having severe side effects to the plan b pill once (I know they aren’t the same but just seeing what putting artificial hormones into my body did reassured me that I never wanted to do so again). I do believe that doctors are so quick to dismiss you even when you are suffering so taking the pill to mask my potentially worsening symptoms is not the answer, you’re right!😅 It’s difficult as it is to get them to listen so if the pill ‘solved’ any one of my issues per say I would never get a diagnosis. I’ve been told I could have ibs, polycystic ovaries without the cysts, that it’s nothing or suspected adenomyosis so my point is - who the hell even knows at this moment in time?!🤯 So I ultimately need to wait and see what the diagnosis is before taking any further action such as birth control I don’t even want, which in turn could stop me getting the answers I deserve!🥲

• Heart

Begborrowsteal

VIP Member
I’m sorry to hear you had difficult labours. Some hospitals offer a talking service where by you can talk through what was happening and hopefully answering why with a midwife. This can help as a therapy to move forward in processing what you experienced. Maybe that may help? Completely understand if not, it isn’t for everyone
Thank you ❤ I had a debrief from my first labour (where the trauma stemmed from) and while it confirmed what I thought and I got an apology, the damage was done lol.

• Sad

judgejohndeed

VIP Member
I have my smear next week and I'm so anxious about it. I'm 29 so had my first one a couple of years ago and have been avoiding this one for a year... Don't know why I'm so worried about it because the last one was uncomfortable but not traumatising - I did cry before and after but it was nowhere near as bad as I expected. Weirdly I think knowing what will happen is making me worry more about it?
I'm the same. I think I've had 3 if not 4 smears in the last 2 ish years, plus a colposcopy, and it doesn't get any easier. I try to give myself a designated 'worry time' so I try to tell myself I won't worry or think about it until 2 days before, and if I'm really really stressed then I will remind myself that I can always cancel it on the day and book it in a few more months, and I mentally give myself permission to do so (haven't needed to yet, but I think having the option there helps). You've made a big step forward just booking it, you know it will be uncomfortable but you also know you can get through it, and it will be over in minutes. Good luck ❤

• Heart

Pixipoppy

VIP Member
Hello, looking for some more advice. I posted before about having HPV, well after 2 more smears I still have HPV and now also low grade abnormal cells. So I’ve got to have a colposcopy. Can’t remember if I mentioned before but I was raped as a teenager and I find all this really distressing. Not knowing exactly what is going to happen at the colposcopy is stressing me out and I haven’t even got the appointment yet. I’ve read that with low grade then it’s likely they’ll need to do a biopsy but probably not any treatment there and then. Would anyone mind telling me exactly how long your colposcopy took, what it was like pain wise (I find smears painful every time unfortunately) what I’m most worried about is if they do say I need the LLETZ there and then. I’m debating asking my GP for some diazepam which apparently they will prescribe for sexual assault survivors. Does anyone have any experience of this either?
Sorry for a long rambling post, this is honestly my worst nightmare 😔 it was bad enough having to have 3 smears in not even 2 years tbh, I cannot believe my bad luck.
Hi! I had a colposcopy and subsequent LLETZ a while ago, and I’ll bang on about it forever because I hated not knowing what to expect and the gp was useless at reassuring me 😅 So this is my experience - this was about 5 years ago mind so things might be different.

Got booked in for the colposcopy after an abnormal smear. Got given a crap leaflet which didn’t really help. I found Jo’s Trust website such a good source of information, they also have a forum on there with loads of women sharing their experiences. *Please remember though it is a cancer website so you do often see the more serious sides of things, or negative outcomes. People don’t tend to post about something if it was straightforward (same with people usually only bothering to post a bad review of something etc) - so you’ll hear/see more negatives than positives online.

So I went along, and took my mum with me but she did have to wait in the waiting room. I had a female nurse chaperone next to me and then I think a male consultant and another female nurse who was helping him. They ask you to undress from the waist down and you get into a sort of chair with places to put your feet. it’s really not as bad as it sounds. It can feel a bit exposed though so I think you can ask for a paper towel you if you want.

At this point you may notice there is a colposcopy machine/camera thing. In my case it was already pointing at my bits and seeing my foof blown up on the screen was a bit weird😅 but it was more awkward and they see so many every day.

The doctor put in the speculum just like with a smear. It wasn’t painful for me but I know some people can find it a bit horrible. My advice is don’t look at what’s happening and try and have a chat to the nurse next to you. Mine was asking me questions about my job etc, and holding my hand.

So next in my case, and I’m not sure why, the consultant said he wanted to take a slightly larger than normal biopsy which would need anaesthetic . This was the only bit that I really found quite difficult but it was more knowing what’s going on down there was making me squeamish rather than actual pain. The injection did go into my cervix, and then I guess he poked me a few times to check it had worked (it had). Then I assume he took a biopsy but I didn’t feel anything. Then it was done and I got dressed. I didn’t really have any bleeding that I can remember, maybe a couple of spots. The whole visited probably lasted about 15 minutes, the waiting beforehand is the worst.

I think it’s definitely worth having a chat to your doctor about it, I’m sure they will be happy to do anything they can to help you relax as it’s quite an invasive procedure. It’s so important to get these done and so just going for your smear is half the battle already, this is just like a slightly extended smear and so worth it to put your mind at rest🙂 good luck.

ps I also had LLETZ after that appointment but this post would go on forever! It was much the same to be honest.

• Heart

Whatevesmate

Chatty Member
Thank you so much for this, it does make me feel better. Except that I’ve my first dress fitting two days later - I don’t want to be smelly for it 🤣🤣. I’ve recently moved to the UK and will be going home to Ireland for dress fittings and for the procedure so I can’t actually rearrange the dress fitting.
I’m scared to leave it though, as we’ve two honeymoons planned, a mini moon for directly after then we have November and then travelling for the month of December so I’d have to rearrange for the new year. 6 months after the colposcopy and 9 months after the smear.

i know deep down this is more important but the chances are it’s probably nothing and I feel like it’s going to disrupt what I’ve had planned for the last two years, and spent a small fortune on 😭😭. (I do realise I’m probably being a spoilt brat)
You are absolutely NOT being a spoilt brat! You have every right to feel disappointed and upset at having to juggle so much around such an important date. It's good that you are getting more information so that you can properly plan and prepare. I think that you are right that it's best not to postpone it but hopefully it won't interfere with your plans too much. Good luck and hope that you have a wonderful wedding and honeymoon 😊 ❤

• Heart

tsuyu

Chatty Member
Oh! Just saw this thread because I was searching for some experiences (original post was in reply to me haha over on another thread)

I have my smear booked for next week, I've booked the morning off work for it and I'm so nervous :( My boyfriend was meant to be coming with me, just to wait in the car but as he has a job interview at the same time as my appointment I'm having to brave it alone :/

I'm so scared it'll hurt. TMI, but I find sex painful ever since I got the implant (I've had that removed this year), to the point where I've bled slightly after. Usually once I've adjusted to my partner the pain does goes away but not always (so sorry for the tmi). I've never even attempted to use tampons or menstural cups because I've never really liked the idea of putting anything in down there.
Ugh, the whole procedure just feels so intrusive. I don't want someone I don't know to see me naked down there :(

I just wish they taught us about this in school, so it wasn't like venturing into the unknown with no idea what to expect. Part of me so badly wants to cancel the appointment but I'm too paranoid for the results to do that

• Heart

HinchythetwattyGrinchy

I had my first smear today. I did a lot of googling before hand which put my anxiety into overdrive and almost cancelled last minute. I just wanted to say that it was incredibly straight forward, quick and not as bad as I thought it would be. My nurse was super lovely - spoke to me the entire time and made me feel at ease. It wasn’t super uncomfortable and I didn’t experience any pain, only a slight spotting. Just wanted to share my experience to anyone out there who is putting off their smears ☺

• Heart

judgejohndeed

VIP Member
@Pixipoppy @Gembo thank you both ♥ I find the information they give you really lacking. I’m not even actually worried about having cancer at this point, just the procedure itself and the aftermath (smears give me nightmares for weeks 😔)

• Heart

Redmama

Not very pleasant but over with quickly! Fingers crossed for nothing further needed down the line. Thank you for asking x

• Heart