Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

skvallertant

Chatty Member
I love that you have made this thread!

I dont have any experiences with gynae issues(luckily)but i will say if anyone is scared or embarassed about a smear, dont be!! Its only awkward for like a second and the nurses are used to seeing all sorts.
Funny story though, my colleague recently had one and somehow she clenched her pelvic floors and the speculum shot out of her when the nurse had just taken the smear.
I had a kind of opposite experience. The radiographer asked me, mid exam, if I could "hold onto this for a second" as he needed to reach for something else 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I used to be scared to death. Fortunately I’m of the age when smears were done much younger than they are now. Luckily for me too as I had stage 3 pre cancerous cells. If untreated this stage can develop into cancer. I had them all removed followed by ten years of yearly smears. If the age for getting smears was what it is now, I would most likely have had cervical cancer and not known until it was possibly too late.
back then also the wait for me to be seen on the NHS was 16 weeks!! Now 4 months when you have stage 3 is a pretty long time to be left in my opinion! Luckily my parents paid privately. I was assessed in the day, the surgeon called me from his personal mobile at the night, and said this needs removing immediately and he did it the next morning. It’s annoying to think that some people might not be as lucky as I was! I’m not sure what wait times are now.
So long story but if you’re scared, don’t be. It’s over before you know it. It doesn’t hurt it’s just uncomfortable. I’d rather have a smear than my ears pierced again.
A couple of minutes of feeling exposed and uncomfortable is nothing compared to the treatment for cancer. ❤

Whaaaaat

I would just say go anyone please book a test - please!

A girl I know never went for them, she died this year age 36 because by the time her cancer was discovered it was too late to treat.

I know some people find them really hard to face - but the cancer treatment you could require will be 100x worse.

• Heart

BettyCrocker

VIP Member
I hate smear tests, I know I shouldn't say it, but I find them intolerable and I think there should be more help for women like me who really cannot cope with them. For those of you who say 'it's only a couple of minutes embarrassment/discomfort, you're very lucky. To me, it's torturous, truly unbearable and I have made the decision to opt-out. I also don't agree that the age should be lowered, results can vary wildly in the young and women have to undergo unnecessary treatment.
Can I ask what you find I unbearable about it? (Genuine question, I’m not trying to be rude)

I had an abnormal smear years ago. I was referred for a colposcopy where we found I had high grade (pre cancerous) cells. Had these been left undetected , they would have developed into cancer. I had the loop procedure done To remove the affected tissue and thankfully my annual screenings since then have all been fine.

a smear test is absolutely essential and yes ok it’s not the fun thing to do on any ones list but it literally takes what, 2 minutes at the most? 2 minutes to potentially save your life? Il take that any day of the week.

WilmaHun

VIP Member
I'm so grateful to see this thread!
I went to the doctors in Jan of this year because I kept getting blood after sex. She examined me and said she could see some abnormalities on my cervix so did an urgent "2 week wait" (cancer) referral to my local hospital. I asked for a smear there and then at the appointment but the dr was adamant she could not smear me due to me being under 25 (I was 24 at the time, turned 25 in October) and said I must instead go on the hospital pathway.
I was seen in the gynaecology clinic 5 days later. I had a biopsy of the womb taken (no pain relief, and the most painful experience I have ever been through) and the consultant diagnosed me with "cervical ectropion" otherwise known as cervical erosion.
I've now had my letter for my smear but I'm petrified to book it! The whole experience of being referred on the cancer pathway was traumatic and worrying enough, I'm worried that the nurse is going to take one look at my cervix and put me through it all again. Although I'm fully aware she can see my record and I can chat to her about it, I can't budge the feeling of dread. I know I'll also be horrendously anxious for weeks waiting for the results.

I feel like I'm guaranteed to have an abnormal smear due to the ectropion (despite the fact I've googled and googled and googled and there seems to be no connection between an ectropion and cancer). I feel like I've already convinced myself my smear will be abnormal before I've even had it done. I have health anxiety as it is!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Why though? I found it easy to relax right from my first smear as have everyone I know that has them. It's over very quickly and it doesn't hurt, so if you go in with that mindset then you'd find it easier to relax.

If more people stated it doesn't hurt etc then more women would have them instead of those who are scared not going for them. Sorry but I have a family member who died from Cervical Cancer because she was too scared to have her smears, so my advice is to have them and not fear them.

Cervical smears are terribly painful and traumatic for me, and many women I know. It hurts very, very badly and simply telling people to 'relax' is a bit like telling a drug addict to 'stop taking drugs'. I'm sorry for your loss but you are widely off the mark for a lot of people. It is invasive and traumatic.

• Heart

bongsandstuff

Chatty Member
Hi everyone! I’ve had heavy periods since I started my period at 11 years old (young I know!). My mum always brushed it off as ‘normal’ as she said she experienced the same. I went to the doctors at 15 as the pain was crippling, I was losing a lot of blood and I was always underweight/really thin. At my appointment the doctor just pushed me onto birth control which I was prescribed but then decided against taking. I am now 22 years old and I’ve had chronic bloating for 3 years, my stomach is huge. I always experience pelvic pain and still have my period issues. Recently my periods have become irregular and my cycles are quite long (40 days on average) so I’ve been pushing for a diagnosis for 3 years. Back in December after being in agony with random pelvic pain, an out of hours doctor referred me for a transvaginal and abdominal ultrasound. I waited till March for the results and was told they’d found that my myometrium wall was abnormally shaped and thickened. They suspected Adenomyosis. They told me there was nothing they could do besides book a repeat scan in a few months and see if there were any changes. I had my repeat scans three weeks ago now and I’m awaiting results. Last time I waited over three months so I don’t have much hope. I am terrified about my potential diagnosis and more than anything, I’m extremely worried about my fertility. My dream has been to have children my whole life and the fact that it could be difficult or not possible is consuming me. I’m also extremely worried about my health as despite all of this I’ve been told “not to worry” and it’s “not a big deal” by doctors. I’m fed up of feeling heavy and bloated all the time, I’m fed up of the crippling period pain and leakage and I’m fed up of begging to be taken seriously. I have no family support as I’m estranged from them so I’m very much alone. I hope there’s a light at the end of this tunnel.

• Heart

CherryAcid

VIP Member
I love that you have made this thread!

I dont have any experiences with gynae issues(luckily)but i will say if anyone is scared or embarassed about a smear, dont be!! Its only awkward for like a second and the nurses are used to seeing all sorts.
Funny story though, my colleague recently had one and somehow she clenched her pelvic floors and the speculum shot out of her when the nurse had just taken the smear.

• Haha

Thelife&times

Chatty Member
I am 27 and haven’t been for my smear since I got the letter at 25. I know it’s bad but I’m struggling to pluck up the courage to go. I had one aged 15 at a clinic and it was a really horrible experience. I also had traumatic experiences as a child (sexual abuse) and so I find the whole thought of it daunting

I am 27 and haven’t been for my smear since I got the letter at 25. I know it’s bad but I’m struggling to pluck up the courage to go. I had one aged 15 at a clinic and it was a really horrible experience. I also had traumatic experiences as a child (sexual abuse) and so I find the whole thought of it daunting
Thank you for sharing. I’m in a very similar situation to yours (I’m 33 now) and it’s extremely hard for other people to understand. I get very frustrated with myself over it all.

• Heart

Scorpihoe

VIP Member
I just got my letter for my first smear :) I’m going to book in this week. I’m really excited for some reason 😂

Lola UK

VIP Member
An update after my post last night... I’ve booked my smear test for Monday. Already feeling panicky about it, wish me luck!
good luck! ☺ You might already know this, but I just recently found out you can ask for a smaller speculum or lube? I also find it painful so might be worth an ask! I think I’ll ask at my next one.

also this might sound silly but after my smear I always treat myself to some nice chocolates or wine as a “reward”🤣

The best thing to do is relax. I'm a lot older than you and they used to use a metal speculum which was even more uncomfortable but now they use plastic, so it's a lot less uncomfortable nowadays. It is over so quickly so take a deep breath and try to relax. I think when you're tense it can make it more painful.
With respect, it can be impossible to 'relax' on this occasion.

• Heart

judgejohndeed

VIP Member
Yeah but what are the treatment options? Either management of symptoms with medication (I.e contraception) or surgery (I.e a hysterectomy)

if quality of life is being effected by a condition surely you use the medication available to control the symptoms? Surely she needs to at least try something to see if it helps??
But first and foremost she needs to know what is causing these symptoms, not least to know whether it needs future monitoring etc? Sticking women on the pill isn't the answer, it's lazy medicine

judgejohndeed

VIP Member
In case anyone's wondering - spoken to a GP today who won't prescribe Diazepam, apparently it's 'not done anymore' and shouldn't be asked for. So I'm not very happy about that. Debating paying for a private GP appointment and seeing if they say otherwise but not sure if it's worth it for £100 odd quid. She is prescribing me naproxen which I've not had before and said I could have co-codamol OTC with it. I've got some leftover codeine at home anyway so wondering if that would do.
Really need to stop reading horror stories online, I'm worried I'll talk myself out of it. Have barely told anyone I know because I don't want to hear the usual 'it'll save your life' 'it's not that bad.' Or the real kicker - 'it's nothing compared to birth' which I haven't done and don't intend to, so why on earth anyone thinks that's helpful I will never know! I do think the abject lack of understanding towards people who have been assaulted and so find all this much more difficult is just horrendous, and if I feel like that having what most would consider a 'legitimate reason' for fear and panic then god only knows how other women are treated (for the record my personal view is it's very invasive and so fear/worry is totally valid for everyone anyway)
Find it very interesting that LLETZ is done under general in America and we're expected to just put up with cervix injections here.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 4

HinchythetwattyGrinchy

I hope you have managed to get an appointment and speak to a a qualified professional about this.
Thank you. I booked an appointment with my GP the day after I posted in this thread. She felt my stomach and could see I was in some discomfort so has booked me in for an ultrasound scan with the hospital and that’s in over a weeks time. X

• Heart

BettyCrocker

VIP Member
I had my first smear last year aged 25 and it picked up HPV.

I was supposed to have another one in May which was delayed due to pandemic but I complained to the NHS as I’d spent a year worrying about it and got it done a few weeks late (like others here I even find sex uncomfortable but I can’t go without a smear as I’m too paranoid so just force myself to get on with it).

My second smear showed cells changes so I went for a colposcopy at my local hospital and the wait for the results was horrendous, but then came back saying no cell changes which confused me as the smear picked up cell changes 🤷🏻‍♀️

So I was discharged from the clinic and now I’m back to 3 yearly smears and I’m terrified that somehow the colposcopy was wrong and when I next have a smear done they’ll pick up something even worse 🙄
the cells on your cervix can change back & forth from being normal cells to abnormal cells. You can have an abnormal result and then the cells can change again and return to a normal state. Abnormal cells are not always cancerous. If you’ve had a colposcopy and smear done in the hospital and everything was clear take some reassurance from that. If you experience anything that worries you - bleeding/pain during or after sex, abnormal bleeding etc then go back to your GP.

HinchythetwattyGrinchy

How was it?
I had the scan yesterday. I’d say most of it was a waste of time due to the fact on the letter it stated I need to fast for 6 hours prior to my appointment - so of course, I went in with an empty stomach and a full bladder as stated. Turns out I needed to eat but I did let them know the letter said I shouldn’t 🤷🏼‍♀️ Anyway, they couldn’t see everything clearly because I didn’t eat anything, they could see one ovary and could see clearly that it was on the larger side than ‘normal’. They couldn’t make out the other one so I am being booked in for a re scan. It’s extremely frustrating as I am still having these awful pains every day and have been for 8 weeks now. My period is late again this month, as stated in my first post, this is unusual for me. Hopefully in my next scan, they can give me a proper diagnosis and we can start looking into things. Thank you for asking x

• Heart
  • Sad

Begborrowsteal

VIP Member
I find smears difficult after two upsetting labour experiences, and cannot stand the thought of being prodded and poked. Lots of emotions are stirred up. I also find them painful and they cause me to bleed. I still get it done, but it really isnt as straight forward as 'just relax, it doesnt hurt'.

I have HPV and am due my first smear since finding that out. I keep forgetting to book it 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Heart

Platypusfattypus

VIP Member
Glad to see a thread about this. I've got to bite the bullet and book an appt. My periods are just so heavy it's getting me down. I've had to stay in today as I'm worried about leaking whilst I'm out. Has anyone had any experience of this. Hormonal contraception is a no no for me and all I keep getting suggested is the mirena coil.

• Heart