William and Kate

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think we need to bear in mind what their role is and their function.

And senior members of the royal family they are representing the country. Their appearance is therefore important, if they look good they make the country look good.
This might be superficial, but this is how it is. Look at the Obamas, the Kennedys, Angela Merkel, the other European Royals - they all try to look their best.

None of them wears anything that an actor on the red carpet might wear, and vice versa, people in show business have a different style.

in addition, once William becomes king or the old photos will be looked at and Kate’s outfits will still look appropriate in 40 years.
Same with old photos of the Queen. And Joaquin Kennedy. And Angela Merkel and Michelle Obama.

Megan often wore outfits that were crumbled aNd simply too tight.
The dress she wore at the Disney premier was too tight, compared to how it should have looked. Even the light blue dress in the iconic rain photo is too tight.
I did not intend to body shame her, but during and after her pregnancy her outfits did not properly fit and a often were too tight.
Kate always wore outfits that fit properly. Even the short dresses did fit and suited her, despite them flying up in the wind.

she also has amazing hair, even when she was in Asia it looked great. And she’s very put together and stands out, I do not understand how people can say that she does not look good.

Again, I am not a big fan. I cannot imagine that she is a bit snobbish and a bit work shy, but she does look good when out and about.
I agree she wears classic stuff that will look ok and not ridiculously dated in 30years.S he is pretty in a natural way and can't turn out in public like someone off a reality show anymore than she can have tons of Botox.

Reactions: 4
I agree she wears classic stuff that will look ok and not ridiculously dated in 30years.S he is pretty in a natural way and can't turn out in public like someone off a reality show anymore than she can have tons of Botox.
I mean. I think she’s had some tweaks for sure?

Reactions: 5
Actually I prefer Meghan's style to Kate. Kate has dressed inappropriately with skirts flying up so why is she getting a pass but not the others? It is a matter of taste. You prefer Kate's 'appropriate' dressing, others find it dull and bland. The point is why are we discussing what they (only the women??) look like and not what they are doing? Surely that is a far better and healthier discussion. Or are we saying that the only part that matters for royalty is that they dress according to some outdated rule book because frankly of that's all we are bothered about I'm sure we can get that done by others and far more cheaply.
Unfortunately I think that is what people want. A wife who does nothing but smile, shake hands, dresses appropriately and pushes out a few babies. None of the Royals are role models to me or my children and I cant think of much really to admire in any of them. At best they are just 'there' as they always have been. Dutifully hand shaking and giving us some pomp and ceremony to gasp at occasionally. There are also other women from other Royal Houses who are older than Kate but dress better and as a result look younger. Michelle Obama was always stylish. I dont think Meghan did look that great a lot of the time. I think shes very short and was swamped in material for a lot of her clothes but I loved the green caped dress that everyone else hated so what do I know

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
Unfortunately I think that is what people want. A wife who does nothing but smile, shake hands, dresses appropriately and pushes out a few babies. None of the Royals are role models to me or my children and I cant think of much really to admire in any of them. At best they are just 'there' as they always have been. Dutifully hand shaking and giving us some pomp and ceremony to gasp at occasionally. There are also other women from other Royal Houses who are older than Kate but dress better and as a result look younger. Michelle Obama was always stylish. I dont think Meghan did look that great a lot of the time. I think shes very short and was swamped in material for a lot of her clothes but I loved the green caped dress that everyone else hated so what do I know
I loved the green caped dress too. The problem with it was she wore a weird bra that you could see which made the dress look not right. But I still loved that dress and the red caped one she wore at the end too

Reactions: 4
Isn’t that the function of Royalty? They are not allowed to be political, not allowed to work... What are they supposed to do?

They do charity work and keep relationships with political leaders and engage with the public. That‘s what they do

Reactions: 6
Not role models for me either.
To me, they are like a soap opera to watch.

Reactions: 7
I loved the green caped dress too. The problem with it was she wore a weird bra that you could see which made the dress look not right. But I still loved that dress and the red caped one she wore at the end too
Yes, that’s the thing. Whether someone likes the dress or not is down to individual preferences, but the bra shouldn’t show - this could have been avoided

Reactions: 7
Isn’t that the function of Royalty? They are not allowed to be political, not allowed to work... What are they supposed to do?

They do charity work and keep relationships with political leaders and engage with the public. That‘s what they do
That is their function, yes, so they should be more transparent about their personal wealth and tax affairs, modernise the way they work, so they are not stuffed with courtiers who are desperate for it to be the 1950's again, not spend all their time leaking to the press against each other and doing deals with them to hide their dodgy dealings etc and there should be far fewer of them. And they dont need all their Royal residences either. But they're not that important. They are there because they are desperate to be there while they tell us how essential they are and how dutiful they are and how they serve us, aided and abetted by our apparently free press, who dont allow any anti monarchist sentiment to be expressed.

Reactions: 9
Yes, that’s the thing. Whether someone likes the dress or not is down to individual preferences, but the bra shouldn’t show - this could have been avoided
Yes I agree. I actually liked quite a few of Meghan’s outfits, I think she needed to have them tailored to fit better tho, not many people can wear off the peg as our bodies are all different. Kate has her clothes tailored to fit and it makes a world of difference. I’m a seamstress so this is my line of work.
Also a lot of Meghan’s outfits were too crumpled or not appropriate for the occasion. Same can be said of Harry’s crumpled linen suits and holes in his shoes. They were supposed to represent the country.

Same can be said of Boris and Nicola Sturgeon I guess, Nicola always looks immaculate and Boris looks like he’s just got out of a tumble dryer?

Reactions: 15
You have to remember that meghan was new to the royal family and she made small mistakes with her clothes just as any new royal bride has. Let's not forget kate has had 12 or 13 years to get groomed. They married 10 years ago and her first few years saw quite a few mistakes with skirts too short, hemlines flying, hair in her face etc. I imagine it takes a few years to get the right wardrobe people to help you get it right.

Kate definitely has botox. Its my line of work and I can see it.
The key to good facial aesthetics is that you look fresher rather than immobile. Her forehead has changed, I can see it when I compare photographs of her.

Kate is very lovely im sure, she's a great ambassador for the country on the face of it but I would prefer my children to look up to others who are themselves as well as being figureheads. Michelle Obama for example.
The days should be long gone when a royal wife takes on the Queens accent, sounding posher than her husband and his family. They should be long gone where the wife is just an incubator and a clothes horse.
I wish she could show her personality because I think her real one might be lovely.
Her mum seems really nice as does her dad

Reactions: 11
You have to remember that meghan was new to the royal family and she made small mistakes with her clothes just as any new royal bride has. Let's not forget kate has had 12 or 13 years to get groomed. They married 10 years ago and her first few years saw quite a few mistakes with skirts too short, hemlines flying, hair in her face etc. I imagine it takes a few years to get the right wardrobe people to help you get it right.

Kate definitely has botox. Its my line of work and I can see it.
The key to good facial aesthetics is that you look fresher rather than immobile. Her forehead has changed, I can see it when I compare photographs of her.

Kate is very lovely im sure, she's a great ambassador for the country on the face of it but I would prefer my children to look up to others who are themselves as well as being figureheads. Michelle Obama for example.
The days should be long gone when a royal wife takes on the Queens accent, sounding posher than her husband and his family. They should be long gone where the wife is just an incubator and a clothes horse.
I wish she could show her personality because I think her real one might be lovely.
Her mum seems really nice as does her dad
I'm listening to Michelle Obama's book and she really is an inspirational woman. The beginning bit of the book, before she even met Barack was really interesting. She spoke about her ' faux pas'. Putting her arm around the Queen. To be honest, it made the people who made the fuss sound like twats to denigrate this intelligent accomplished noble woman who put her arm round an elderly woman as an act of kindness and humanity. I doubt The Queen minded, but she wasnt told how to behave and not to touch the Quren

• Sick
I'm listening to Michelle Obama's book and she really is an inspirational woman. The beginning bit of the book, before she even met Barack was really interesting. She spoke about her ' faux pas'. Putting her arm around the Queen. To be honest, it made the people who made the fuss sound like twats to denigrate this intelligent accomplished noble woman who put her arm round an elderly woman as an act of kindness and humanity. I doubt The Queen minded, but she wasnt told how to behave and not to touch the Quren
It's a bit ridiculous and generally people around certain top dogs make a bigger deal of things than the top dogs themselves.
I don't think the queen is unilaterally great as many seem to, but she never came across as someone who is stuck up and would make a big deal over being touched on the shoulder or back. If anything I think it might be welcoming and more human as interaction than the stuck up fakery usually surrounding these things (unless she's the type who doesn't like to be touched, in which case the rule is welcome 😂 ). Like the press went crazy when Putin offered the queen a coat and touched her on the shoulder, ffs like really?

I watched an American docu series on first ladies, they only had about six talked about (1 episode for each), 3 of them being Jackie K, H Clinton and M Obama and I'm mighty impressed with these women, esp Clinton and Obama (though I still absolutely can't stand the Clintons, but H's accomplishments and career are fantastic and quite a bit of the bad press she got was over things like not wanting to take Bill's surname back in the day, bascially some press going against her because she didn't stick to the kitchen, wore glasses and retained her maiden name (till she was bullied enough into ditching the glasses and adding "Clinton")).

Meg was ill-informed and deluded on the Windsors and press relationship, but some things I think anyone would find shocking. Eg she pointed out the curtseying happens also behind closed doors and as so many here have discussed modernization and that some European monarchies have abolished curtseying completely, but the Windsors (effectively in this regard Liz, since it's up to her) are so stuck up in the old ways that they curtsey to each other in private as well. Pretty nutty if you ask me. Anyone (esp women, as women have to do this) would be shocked by this.

These other women that William dated seem if the "Old money" brigade with Royal connections. They have also carved out their own careers with varying success. Kate is not in the same class really, her Mum is of working class origin who married upwards. But they don't have the same royal connections or aristocratic links as the others. They are also familiar with how royalty works do didn't want to be stepford/ royal wives
Kate did not have a career but was determined to land William by being what his family wanted or a Stepford wife and brood mare. She must have massive confidence to pull it off .
Yet Kate does have some interesting aristocratic/landed gentry through her father’s family. Also her paternal Gfather was co-pilot or something with Prince Phillip. Although not born into the royal courtier cadre, she’s a commoner but well connected several generations back.

I’ve lost count how many times I’ve heard “Prince Philip is dead but they’re delaying the announcement” rumours. It was literally going around two or three times a year at one point.

The last time, around this time last year IIRC, my brother and his girlfriend swore blind that their friend’s dad had Palace links and it was definitely true. They even said “why would our friend lie to us?” I said nah, it’s bollocks, this is such a regular urban myth that goes around.

I was so smug when I was proved right 🤣
‘Why would our friend lie to us?’

Because they knew that you’d believe it, you numpties.

Reactions: 3
I watched an American docu series on first ladies, they only had about six talked about (1 episode for each), 3 of them being Jackie K, H Clinton and M Obama and I'm mighty impressed with these women, esp Clinton and Obama (though I still absolutely can't stand the Clintons, but H's accomplishments and career are fantastic and quite a bit of the bad press she got was over things like not wanting to take Bill's surname back in the day, bascially some press going against her because she didn't stick to the kitchen, wore glasses and retained her maiden name (till she was bullied enough into ditching the glasses and adding "Clinton")).
Jackie Kennedy was an amazing lady. She spoke about six foreign languages, and wrote most of JFK's speeches for him. She was a very intelligent lady.
She always dressed appropriately, but she still dressed very stylishly in what was the fashion of the day. Kate dresses way too old for her age. Queen Letizia and Queen Rania are both about ten years older than Kate, both dress appropriately but also very stylishly and both of them look much more up to date than Kate does. She really needs to modernise her look. Some of the coats and dresses she wears are quite similar to what Camilla wears and Camilla is more than thirty years older than her.

Reactions: 11
Michelle Obama always struck me as a class act during her time as First Lady.
I respect her even more, when she was asked about running for office?
It was basically a no, I've seen what goes down and how you get tied up in red tape no matter how good your intentions were starting out...

• Sick
Reactions: 10
Jackie Kennedy was an amazing lady. She spoke about six foreign languages, and wrote most of JFK's speeches for him. She was a very intelligent lady.
She always dressed appropriately, but she still dressed very stylishly in what was the fashion of the day. Kate dresses way too old for her age. Queen Letizia and Queen Rania are both about ten years older than Kate, both dress appropriately but also very stylishly and both of them look much more up to date than Kate does. She really needs to modernise her look. Some of the coats and dresses she wears are quite similar to what Camilla wears and Camilla is more than thirty years older than her.
I quite agree.

I also read often how Liz's dresses weren't that great and I never quite understood that, mostly because I think we all view figures from the past in their own bubble even though they were contemporaries. When I saw pics of Liz and Jackie together I completely understood what people meant by saying that Liz's dress sense wasn't great and old fashioned (at the time and compared to Jackie, the press also made a thing of it).

Reactions: 2
None of the royal women ever seem to update their hair styles either. Kate has had the 'bouncy brunette waves' for as long as we've known her.
The Queen has had that frosted helmut of curls all her life, and don't even get me started on the cottage loaf that Anne has had perched on top of her head for the past forty years!

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Ha, that is true about the hair styles, but Kate did switch it up occasionally - had a fringe, went a bit lighter, straight blow dry, a bit shorter.
But yes, generally the same.

I think Kate and TQ look very English. Latizia is from Spain, and Jacqui from the US - different countries with different styles.

I feel that Kate sometimes is a bit edgy - the dark sharp suit she wore when presenting the Photographer of the Year Award, the leo sprint maxi skirt, the purple blouse, the pink coat she wore recently, the wide legged trousers.
I also liked her long flowery dresses - she was obviously into them, a personal choice.
She likes romantic dresses, wedges, pussy bows, wide legged trousers, the military style, nude heels - I think this is her personal taste.

I don't think Be a, Eugenie or Meghan have a similar style personality - Meghan has her white pressed shirt and skinny jeans, but that's it. Other than that it is just random designer clothing, no clear direction.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.