Who wants to go to the office?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I mean I get why someone can go stir crazy at home, especially if they are sociable and/or don't have a decent work space at home but for me, WFH has done wonders for my mental health. I wish all jobs were flexible enough for the employees to find a happy sweet spot between WFH and being in the office buy that's very much daydreaming on my part. I've been back in the office since early July and the brain fog I feel after work is nothing like how I felt at home after I finished my work. Now I am so drained I barely have the energy to do the things I must do, let alone my hobbies or things that can relax me. I hope this is just an adaptation phase but I dearly miss working from home and not being weighed down by this fuzzy head in the evening. Oh well.

Reactions: 9
Eww people who fuss around with work stuff on a day off get on my nerves. My husband will have a days leave and pop on his emails, probably shagging his office wife 😂😂
Checking your emails is bad (I'm guilty of that), especially as it just puts you right back into work mode mentally and all relaxation is gone. Imagine dropping by the office your day off though. When I'm OOO, I even try to avoid walking past the office and take another route to make sure I'm fully disconnected! You have to be another level of "crazy" to drop by and collect a badge to prepare for your return. I'm sure no one requested him to do so since the manager is in Asia and the other one in the US. It was his own initiative. Jeez. Mental.

Reactions: 4
Eww people who fuss around with work stuff on a day off get on my nerves. My husband will have a days leave and pop on his emails, probably shagging his office wife 😂😂
Maybe my husband is your husband haha! He did the same thing, he will log on to his email or join any calls if he has to, who does that? He starts planning his week on Sunday evening, lol.

I couldn't say much since he is the main bread winner haha, good for him

Checking your emails is bad (I'm guilty of that), especially as it just puts you right back into work mode mentally and all relaxation is gone. Imagine dropping by the office your day off though. When I'm OOO, I even try to avoid walking past the office and take another route to make sure I'm fully disconnected! You have to be another level of "crazy" to drop by and collect a badge to prepare for your return. I'm sure no one requested him to do so since the manager is in Asia and the other one in the US. It was his own initiative. Jeez. Mental.
Same, I will avoid seeing the office. Why would anyone want to live at Canary Wharf working at Canary Wharf is so depressing, I supposed if you are earning 6 figures that kinda make sense?

I mean I get why someone can go stir crazy at home, especially if they are sociable and/or don't have a decent work space at home but for me, WFH has done wonders for my mental health. I wish all jobs were flexible enough for the employees to find a happy sweet spot between WFH and being in the office buy that's very much daydreaming on my part. I've been back in the office since early July and the brain fog I feel after work is nothing like how I felt at home after I finished my work. Now I am so drained I barely have the energy to do the things I must do, let alone my hobbies or things that can relax me. I hope this is just an adaptation phase but I dearly miss working from home and not being weighed down by this fuzzy head in the evening. Oh well.
Same here, without the he said she said, it has really helped my mental health.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Maybe my husband is your husband haha! He did the same thing, he will log on to his email or join any calls if he has to, who does that? He starts planning his week on Sunday evening, lol.

I couldn't say much since he is the main bread winner haha, good for him

Same, I will avoid seeing the office. Why would anyone want to live at Canary Wharf working at Canary Wharf is so depressing, I supposed if you are earning 6 figures that kinda make sense?
OMG! I've heard this many times. I remember, we had this conference with a pretty high up person in consulting (back in 2019) and she said she only allows herself to rest on Saturday, but the week actually starts on Sunday for her. The way she expressed it made it seem so "natural", it was shocking. Unless I'm making 6 figures, no way I'm working on weekends anymore (used to do it a lot, not worth it. You're basically offsetting your paid hours with unpaid ones if you also count overtime during the week).

Last edited:
  • Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
OMG! I've heard this many times. I remember, we had this conference with a pretty high up person in consulting (back in 2019) and she said she only allows herself to rest on Saturday, but the week actually starts on Sunday for her. The way she expressed it made it seem so "natural", it was shocking. Unless I'm making 6 figures, no way I'm working on weekends anymore (used to do it a lot, not worth it, you're basically offsetting your paid hours with unpaid ones if you also could overtime during the week).
Did the person also have kids, so she is like the role model? haha

It is so toxic, a senior manager in my husband’s team like to boost that she works hard, sacrificing personal time but when you deep dive into it, some of them have live-in nanny and the husband/wife have high paying job too - because of that, they were able to focus on their careers. They make it sounds like you aren’t dedicative enough for the cause but normal people just don’t have that kind of time and energy to clock in 16h of work.

I think is part of the Big4’s culture, grafting and logging on on weekend seem to be norm :/

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
OMG! I've heard this many times. I remember, we had this conference with a pretty high up person in consulting (back in 2019) and she said she only allows herself to rest on Saturday, but the week actually starts on Sunday for her. The way she expressed it made it seem so "natural", it was shocking. Unless I'm making 6 figures, no way I'm working on weekends anymore (used to do it a lot, not worth it. You're basically offsetting your paid hours with unpaid ones if you also count overtime during the week).
Yep, my husband is paid from 7.30am till 4.30pm. He drives to the understand station and parks nearby to avoid paying parking fees. Hes on the first tube out and will be at his desk just after 6am and never leaves before 5pm. Daft tart. His money isn't even that great, he earned more on nights.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Did the person also have kids, so she is like the role model? haha

It is so toxic, a senior manager in my husband’s teamI like to boost that she works hard, sacrificing personal time but when you deep dive into it, some of them have live-in nanny and the husband/wife have high paying job too - because of that, they were able to focus on their careers.

I think is part of the Big4’s culture, grafting and logging on on weekend seem to be norm :/
Haha, a "role model" indeed!

That's very true about the live-in nanny! I used to live in another complex and an SM lived in the same complex but in a penthouse. Her husband is a doctor and she had two small children (lol - classic). I was wondering about how she was managing the workload + two small children. One day, I can't recall what we were talking about and she said she had a live in nanny who was there to help her out with the kids. It was during lockdown 1, so we were already WFH and she had a nanny at her disposal. It made complete sense why she was able to manage.

I had another manager (at Director level) who has three children (including twins) and would work late at night and during weekends as well. She managed because her husband does mainly freelance and was able to help with the kids.

Most of these people definitely have someone to fall back on indeed. That's the luxury having enough disposable income!

Reactions: 3
This will be us in a few weeks. I swear 90% of managers can't cope not physically seeing their staff, without micro managing they must feel redundant. Have you had anybody off sick yet? We've got a few off sick with covid and we're still working from home.
yeah this is my workplace. If you cannot trust your staff to work you have chosen the wrong people, also most of my workplace are on comission so they have the incenstive to work regardless of location. I have worked much less in the last two days in the office than at home due to the constant chit chat in the office

Reactions: 7
yeah this is my workplace. If you cannot trust your staff to work you have chosen the wrong people, also most of my workplace are on comission so they have the incenstive to work regardless of location. I have worked much less in the last two days in the office than at home due to the constant chit chat in the office
Completely agree. Call centres are miserable places to work. You aren't a human anymore. Sounds a bit dramatic but they only care about the call queues. I get that management are under pressure too but my family will always come before my job.

Reactions: 2
Being serious. People have saved thousands from being home a year and a half saving on 5 lunches and 5 journeys a week. It's been great to save from not spending on things that can be avoided. My bank balance as never looked so good.
Offset by the costs of working from home..electricity bills wifi and the likes.

Tbf I think it depends on the cost if your commute. It costs us 5.5K a year for my husband to travel to work. There is no way we'd spend that on fuel bills and our WiFi is still the same price.

• Heart
Completely agree. Call centres are miserable places to work. You aren't a human anymore. Sounds a bit dramatic but they only care about the call queues. I get that management are under pressure too but my family will always come before my job.
Ive worked in a call centre before and it was the worst job I've ever had, it was horrendous so I do feel for you. I lasted 8 months and how I did that I dont know because I was completley miserable.

I remember one time I felt unwell at work, I ran off too the toilet to be sick and put my phone on break. I got a warning for having my phone on break for over 7 minutes which was our toilet break "limit". I handed my notice in soon after that.

• Sad
  • Heart
My internet is the same price it was before I started WFH and my electricity increased slightly but I applied for the £6 a week tax relief which covers the increase. I’m saving over £100 a month on fuel and probably the same on lunches/snacks.

I’m in Scotland so luckily WFH is still the default, I really don’t want to go back to the office.

• Heart
Ive worked in a call centre before and it was the worst job I've ever had, it was horrendous so I do feel for you. I lasted 8 months and how I did that I dont know because I was completley miserable.

I remember one time I felt unwell at work, I ran off too the toilet to be sick and put my phone on break. I got a warning for having my phone on break for over 7 minutes which was our toilet break "limit". I handed my notice in soon after that.
Very similar experience to me. It was a very dark time in my life, they really don't let you breathe. I was on shifts, doing 37 hours a week, for 14000 at the time. On top of that, being treated like sh*t when I was a good worker.

Update on my current situation, we are still WFH but we will get a new boss next month (😔 gutted because my boss has been so supportive), so I expect the new boss will want us all in so they can meet us. I think I'm happy to try the hybrid that that keep mentioning but have not actually started yet.

My internet is the same price it was before I started WFH and my electricity increased slightly but I applied for the £6 a week tax relief which covers the increase. I’m saving over £100 a month on fuel and probably the same on lunches/snacks.

I’m in Scotland so luckily WFH is still the default, I really don’t want to go back to the office.
Yes I'm the same. Was just responding to someone saying people were saving loads of money which isn't necessarily the case. A hybrid approach is definitely what we are getting which is good anyway. I will be happy with that and if the weather is awful we won't have to go in ( as in dangerous weather conditions)

• Heart
I've spoken to two colleagues today who are both off sick with Covid. They only only been to Tescos and wfh like the rest of us. Makes me really concerned about catching it once we're back in. We've already been told that we are moving to a smaller office area and no social distancing. I'm double jabbed so hopefully I'd be OK if I did test positive but a few friends at work can't have the vaccine for medical reasons.

• Sad
  • Wow
We had a call this morning and it sounds like the return to office is going to be one hot mess.

They don't have enough space with all the hiring they've done during the pandemic, so they keep asking/coordinating with other teams as to who's in and out to get some of their desks etc.. Hot desking will remain in place as not enough space. You can basically end up anywhere.

Also, they keep giving mixed messages. One minute we're due in September/October and they circulated spreadsheets for people to give their preferences, now we're told it's on a voluntary basis. Make your mind up people.

How about you stop giving us and yourselves a headache and let us remain WFH at least until next March?

Apple in the US has asked people to pick the same three days a week they want to come in. It's too rigid in my opinion and will slowly turn into you need to be in 5 days a week. It's not flexible working if you need to stick to the same 3 days.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
We had a call this morning and it sounds like the return to office is going to be one hot mess.

They don't have enough space with all the hiring they've done during the pandemic, so they keep asking/coordinating with other teams as to who's in and out to get some of their desks etc.. Hot desking will remain in place as not enough space. You can basically end up anywhere.

Also, they keep giving mixed messages. One minute we're due in September/October and they circulated spreadsheets for people to give their preferences, now we're told it's on a voluntary basis. Make your mind up people.

How about you stop giving us and yourselves a headache and let us remain WFH at least until next March?

Apple in the US has asked people to pick the same three days a week they want to come in. It's too rigid in my opinion and will slowly turn into you need to be in 5 days a week. It's not flexible working if you need to stick to the same 3 days.
I suppose now restrictions have been lifted they can get staff back in whenever they want. Its hard for people to pay the train fares again. Staff wfh have experienced a better work life balance and I can totally see why people won't want to go back to 5 days in.

Reactions: 1
I've spoken to two colleagues today who are both off sick with Covid. They only only been to Tescos and wfh like the rest of us. Makes me really concerned about catching it once we're back in. We've already been told that we are moving to a smaller office area and no social distancing. I'm double jabbed so hopefully I'd be OK if I did test positive but a few friends at work can't have the vaccine for medical reasons.
I live in London and the tube this morning was packed, like pre covid packed, half people either not in masks, or wearing them incorrectly. All of my colleagues take different tube lines and there is no distance in the office. I am terrified.

• Sad
  • Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.