Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Flowergirl14

VIP Member
I have been working from home since the16th March, and have not had any problems. Do you think people will want to return to the office? I just love it, no decisions on what to wear each morning, no make up, I have not worn a bra in 3 months! No 2 hours commute, those 2 hours I have been online and working! Having said that I feel desperately sorry for people who will lose their jobs and businesses, heartbreaking. What do you think?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36

Sheeeet

Chatty Member
I've just seen the request for thread name suggestions- I'll suggest what I think every time I see this thread

Who wants to go to the office? #2 : No-one

In other news, I didn't win the lottery this weekend

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23

AllSeeingEye123

VIP Member
I am all for returning to the office. The amount of people who have lost their jobs because of people not working in offices is largely over looked. Reception, security, cleaning, canteen, engineers, landscapers, the vending machine companies, the companies who supply things like food for the canteen, pest control, the paper shop down the road where the colleagues get their rolls from in the morning, the coffee shop, the list goes on. They’re all taken a huge hit.
It might sound harsh but not our problem. It's up to them to move with the times. There was a time people were miners or sold fax machines. Should we keep buying them or working down them? No. People are still spending as much money as they always have, just that different industries are now benefiting. The money saved from travel and lunch is going towards saving for a better property, better car, better holiday etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 23

emm

VIP Member
I really don't understand all the people who are desperate to go back to the office, most of my colleagues seem to be. The time/stress/money you save not commuting is great, just things like being able to make a nice lunch. The only situation I can envision not wanting to WFH would be if you don't have space or live with lots of other people which makes it difficult

• Heart
Reactions: 21

jaymie

VIP Member
This thread has gone a bit quiet!! Just wanted to wish a safe return to anybody that is now back in or will shortly be returning. Keep us posted on how things are working out.
I just got a job offer, salary okay (I probably get lesser now than before since I won’t be getting any bonus) but the fact that I don’t need to commute to work and work in an office just make me happy.

• Heart
Reactions: 19

Tyla73

VIP Member
The fact that IDS thinks that being in the office ‘fosters better mental health’ proves he has has no idea about the daily pile of bullshit that working in a lot of offices entails :rolleyes:.

Reactions: 19

MissTeddy

VIP Member
We are going back soon, they still apparently need to risk assess our office :rolleyes:

Someone I work with sold their car during the pandemic to save money but now has no way of getting into the office but we have to go in 3 days a week once they have risk assessed our office. So now my colleague needs to buy or hire a car again. They have to come via motorway as they live too far out for buses and there's no train option...
i do think some people made some quite rash decisions in lockdown… selling your only means of travelling to your place of employment seems like one IMO… like all the folk who bought puppies and now realise they can’t WFH full time.

Reactions: 18

Tyla73

VIP Member
Being serious. People have saved thousands from being home a year and a half saving on 5 lunches and 5 journeys a week. It's been great to save from not spending on things that can be avoided. My bank balance as never looked so good.
That is a direct example of the 'this is how things are for me so it should be like this for everyone' attitude that is not helpful in the return to work debate or any other debate around Covid and the societal changes that will result from the pandemic. Just because you saved thousands doesn't mean that will have been possible for everyone and there's a lot more to moving home than just being able to afford to do it anyway.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17

House of Tea

VIP Member
I have done a few days back in the office. Turns out the dickheads I work with are still dickheads. Why did I think it would be different.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 16

judgejohndeed

VIP Member
Theres absolutely loads of ppl who say people working from home do nothing.
Yes! My Mum says this to me all the time (I'm doing a mix at the moment). What she means is she personally doesn't have the discipline to work at home so she assumes everyone else doing so is just as lazy as her. I find a day out of the house an easy ride now - an enforced lunch time, end of day time, few chats here and there that waste time? Yes please. At home, I forget about/work through lunch, never 'leave' on time because I'll always think 'I'll just finish XYZ', nobody to talk to to pass/waste some time...I get masses done. If you can't, then by all means go to work, but other people's inability to manage their time at home is not my problem 🤷‍♀️

AllSeeingEye123

VIP Member
Positives of WFH to why I wouldn't want to see an office ever again.....

1) Money saved on five travel days a week.

2) Money saved on lunches/snacks five days a week.

3) More of a lie in from not having to be up so early as I will not be leaving the house.

4) When work is done for the day I am already home saving on an hour travelling home (ten hours a week there and back).

5) No more office politics or small talk with people I only associate with because I work with them and wouldn't otherwise.

6) Less distractions. I can get the same work done much quicker in a quiet room without being interrupted all the time.

7) Less contact with other people means less chance of picking up a bug like you get when people with a cold "soldier on" to work instead of staying at home.

8) If I want to chat as I work to colleagues I miss I can prop up my tablet with Zoom at the side of me as I work on the desktop.

9) I can break my day up so can pop out for a walk or shopping as long as what's expected of me gets done.

10) Better health/work balance from being less tired, less stressed and being around family/friends more.

• Heart

House of Tea

VIP Member
People now value flexible working over anything now. That last few years has revealed that time is more precious than anything money can buy. There isn’t any going back now.

• Heart

April773

I find that a lot of people that are keen to back to an office are people without a heavy commute, generally. People that that can walk or cycle to work with ease see it as much less of a burden going back than those that have long / expensive bus or train journeys.

I find that element of the discussion annoying! Of course if you can walk 5 minutes to an office it’s going to be much easier adjusting to office life again. Compare that to an hour+ each way of travel via car / train etc. It’s a no brainer for people that had a long commute to want to continue to work remotely.

I have saved over £9K since February 2020 on not commuting!

Yep most of our London based employees are eager to get back because their commute is nothing. For those of us with mortgages who cannot afford to live in London and have had to buy in the home counties, the commute is a bitch. Not to mention expensive. I'm based down in Kent, and my commute is awful. I don't live near a station so have to travel to get there at first, then its an hours train journey. I completely understand that people could say "well its your choice to live there" and my response to that would be well have you tried purchasing a house in London? I like my job and I like my salary, if I can do it WFH successfully then whats the problem.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Mamacita

VIP Member
I love working from home and really don't want to go back to office.
Same. Have a better work life balance, saving money, not harming the environment as much, only have to talk to people I want to speak to or those I have to talk to for work purposes. No small talk with randos from the office. Lunchtime lie downs. Better food. No aircon. Don't have to buy special office clothes I never wear outside of work. Genuinely can't see many benefits of going back.

• Heart

Anne1448

VIP Member
Let me correct you a bit haha, the government only seems keen for people to return to offices to keep the property tycoons afloat.:whistle: Office/ Commercial properties used to be a lucrative investment, until the pandemic.
Say it louder! They couldn't care less about us, it's just about making sure that companies are renting overpriced buildings.

I work in the tech industry and my office is just a bunch of desks next to each other. Which means that you have people around you 24/7. If one person is sick the entire office is sick. Not only that but I can hear everyone's conversation. It's hell!

My company asked us to come back in September so I gave my notice and accepted another position to WFH full time. Thanks to that I can finally move out from the city to buy a house.

• Heart
The anti WFH propaganda the Daily Mail keep spewing out is really getting quite ridiculous now.

Opposite in my house tbh, my children see me organising my world load, helping my colleagues when they call for advice, being professional in meetings.. they have also learnt how to use power point and excel (I delegated home learning to my retired teacher MIL so any learning they did with me was practical stuff within my skillset).

They also were in the house the other day when I was in a meeting with a government official in another country who couldn't speak any English and they thought it was amazing. I have colleagues in the US who they have 'met' and then went on Google earth to have a look around their home town. They see me being professional work Cheddar and they see how others interact with me as a professional. (And they have also learned how to do the wanker sign hidden from sight of the camera)

If it wasn't for WFH they would have seen none of that side of me at all and they would have no clue what people in offices actually do. I think it's pretty amazing really.

• Heart

no-no

VIP Member
Just seen a video on LinkedIn about a CEO lambasting WFH. So nice to see all the comments disagree. Her argument was basically humanity is failing because we’re not meeting people on our commute asking them if they want to go for a coffee and can’t listen to podcasts anymore because we’re not commuting 😂

I’ve just started a job search and now I’m reconsidering applications I’ve made and maybe focusing on ~90% agile working setup. My job is perfect for WFH, you can’t slack and it’s better for productivity. I’ve never got on in offices, my last open plan one (which was about 200 people, and one big air conditioned and bright office for the chief, naturally) really took its toll, so I don’t have that stress.

I know a large number of people do want the option to go in, but they should accommodate those instead of trying to get all bums on seats again.

• Heart

tarquin16

Chatty Member
I think the trouble is companies are seeing this as a way to cut costs, i.e. no rent, canteen services, maintenance contracts etc. but I do worry about employees wellbeing in the long term. People assume that everyone has got enough space at home to have a separate home office space but unfortunately the reality for many is the sofa or dining room table. A friend of mine works for a IT company with a quite young average age and lots of people either live in small flats or with their parents so not ideal for home working, and the company has just said they will not be returning to the office ever.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 14