Who wants to go to the office?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm baffled by people saying they won't return to the office or they have told their boss they will only work two days in the office. I have been told when I'm returning and thats its full time, thats it. If I don't like it then find another job. I'm 45, I've had quite a few jobs since I left college over 25 years ago and never have I been able to dictate to my employer what I'm doing. Are people really able to do that?
I think it really depends on your employer. My employer really values our opinion and has done multiple surveys to find out what we want. At the mo going into the office is completely optional & and a hybrid model is being worked on.
Also - everybody has the right to apply for flexible working?!

Reactions: 3
I think it really depends on your employer. My employer really values our opinion and has done multiple surveys to find out what we want. At the mo going into the office is completely optional & and a hybrid model is being worked on.
Also - everybody has the right to apply for flexible working?!
Thats good that they're asking staff what they want. I can apply for flexible working but I won't get it. I can't even get a day off approved in 6 months time. They're a nightmare.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Thats good that they're asking staff what they want. I can apply for flexible working but I won't get it. I can't even get a day off approved in 6 months time. They're a nightmare.
I’ve worked at places like that before! To be fair this is the first time I’ve worked somewhere thats made it seem like they really care what we want. I have actually booked to go in for a day next week. I’m very nervous it’s been so long 😅😅

• Heart
I've been on annual leave this week so I need to wait until I log back on tomorrow. However my friends were saying that apparently we might not be going back in the office/on site until March 2022! We are based in Scotland but even still! I had assumed August!

Reactions: 6
I've been on annual leave this week so I need to wait until I log back on tomorrow. However my friends were saying that apparently we might not be going back in the office/on site until March 2022! We are based in Scotland but even still! I had assumed August!
To be honest, with the Delta variant, it's probably the best approach. Winter is approaching and we don't know how this variant is going to develop in cooler weather. Companies rushing to bring people back in August might need to rethink their plans come October at this rate. we're due back in September, but I personally don't think this will happen.

Reactions: 1
To be honest, with the Delta variant, it's probably the best approach. Winter is approaching and we don't know how this variant is going to develop in cooler weather. Companies rushing to bring people back in August might need to rethink their plans come October at this rate. we're due back in September, but I personally don't think this will happen.
My place emailed everybody before the restrictions were lifted. They’ll be the first to complain when people are off sick.

People who don't have the space have now had a year and a half to save up thousands of pounds towards moving somewhere with more space.
My company put us on a 4 day week during the original lockdown. The fifth day being unpaid leave. Three months of that removed any extra savings we might have made.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
Yea I'm really curious to know where their head is at. The info we were getting from up on high was don't get to comfortable, your work is at your office etc. A few people had moved house and they were getting slated because they will need to come back to the county. Guess they've got until at least march if it comes to it.

I've got a team meeting tomorrow to get the low down lol.

Reactions: 2
I cannot wait to get back to the office 3-4 days a week! My husband is back in his office 4 days and I feel so lonely in the house all by myself. I like the routine of walking to work everyday (5mile round trip so good for my basic health too), popping to the shops on lunch, having casual chats with colleagues and getting to know them. I started a new job earlier this year and it's been extremely difficult doing it totally remotely.

Reactions: 4
This is relevant only to certain types of jobs of course but I seem to have meetings and then get on with my normal job around those. It might be suitable for us to have all the meetings in person and then go home and crack on with the work produced by the meetings.

Reactions: 2
This one was one of her best looks hands down.

She actually looked her age and healthy.

niomi-smart-has-been-dating-fiance-joe-woodward-since-2016--1578309324.jpg

Last edited:
A friend of mine works for an investment bank and has wfh for years. I can't see many organisations going back full time.
I work in consultancy and we have all been forced back into the office full time, despite easily being able to work from home, and because our office is now reduced in size (with the same number of staff) there is no distancing, it is chaotic and noisy, difficult to have meetings either online or in person due to noise and lack of space...

• Wow

Can young people not be spoken to technically face to face on Zoom?
Lol I enjoy the fact that we all have to go into the office and wear a suit and it's about being well presented. He's clearly never worked in my office/heavy industry worksite.

I do agree to some extent that it won't be the same relationships as before. That's definitely the case. However we should find different solutions to this rather than saying everyone needs to go back in the office 100%.

I'm sure many years ago they would have said a 5 day working week would be chaos. Yet here we are.

I work in consultancy and we have all been forced back into the office full time, despite easily being able to work from home, and because our office is now reduced in size (with the same number of staff) there is no distancing, it is chaotic and noisy, difficult to have meetings either online or in person due to noise and lack of space...
This will be us in a few weeks. I swear 90% of managers can't cope not physically seeing their staff, without micro managing they must feel redundant. Have you had anybody off sick yet? We've got a few off sick with covid and we're still working from home.

We have been given a September date to go in. Teams doing 2 day weeks to start and she will want us back in for 5 as soon as possible.
Senior management dont care about staff as they all have their own little deals where they work off site as often as they want.
I was talking to one of the few people left that I like and we both agree that the atmosphere has completely changed and there is no more team spirit its everyone for themselves.
One person I used to get on really well with stopped talking to me last year because I tried to calm him down before he went to the big boss demanding that he never goes back in as he didnt like his commute anymore. I pointed out that telling her it was unfair he had to sit in his car for 50 minutes after work was not going to help him, she would quite rightly say that was his problem for living where he did and that others have a longer commute. That was it he no longer speaks to me because of that.
The issue with that particular colleague is that he took the piss with his hours prior to covid, he would wfh all the time claiming he had childcare issues etc. He changed his hours to suit himself and felt he could do what he wanted. Then we got a new boss and covid hit 2 months later.
He has spent so long doing what he wants he cant accept that he will have to conform with the rest of us, he thinks he is special
I know there will be more of that when we go back in as quite a few seem to think they are invaluable. Nope, everyone of us could be replaced in a heartbeat.

I have accepted that I have to go back in and am dreading it but cant do anything about it.
I know there will be no social distancing on the floor below and the company threw a few bottles of sanitiser about and stuck some stickers on the floor and that was it.

As soon as it settle down I will get a new job and leave this bunch behind.

I work for a medium/large business - 500 or so employees.

Back in minimum 3 days a week but allowed to ease ourselves in so doing 2 days for now which suits me. Originally were quite intense and said everyone had to be in after the 19th but backtracked after the pushback from staff - due to second vaccines/COVID cases etc - so it’s not a strict requirement.

They originally said the minimum would be 2 days pw then raised it to 3 months later which was weird. Annoying cause the former would be my preference but tbh I take it as a positive thing that they’re so keen to have us in, if I was told I was never needed back in the office again I’d be worried that they’d be looking into outsourcing my role at some point in the future. I also don’t know if I would switch jobs to a company that was strictly WFH! It would certainly put me off as I’d find it so hard to integrate and make friends.

Some people are seriously out of this world.

I spoke to a coworker this morning (one I utterly dislike) and asked if he's planning on returning to the office or would prefer to remain WFH. He said he already went and collected his badge on his day off because he doesn't want to waste any time. LOL 🤣. I can't. The guy is clearly eager to return to the office when we haven't received any specific schedule yet aside from the preferences we sent (i.e.: return in September, October or remain WFH) and staged return between September and October. Hilarious.

Some people are seriously out of this world.

I spoke to a coworker this morning (one I utterly dislike) and asked if he's planning on returning to the office or would prefer to remain WFH. He said he already went and collected his badge on his day off because he doesn't want to waste any time. LOL. I can't. The guy is clearly eager to return to the office when we haven't received any specific schedule yet aside from the preferences and staged return between September and October. Hilarious.
Eww people who fuss around with work stuff on a day off get on my nerves. My husband will have a days leave and pop on his emails, probably shagging his office wife 😂😂

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.