Who wants to go to the office?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Rishi Sunak isn't wrong. Being in the office and being able to build professional relationships in person in very beneficial for younger workers. I don't agree that it will stop people being promoted though, that certainly hasn't been the case in my company.

We've had a lot of new starters in the last 15 months, varying in age, and all of them agree that starting a new job remotely made things much harder. Starting a new job is difficult enough as it is without having it all conducted via Teams. There are many advantages to being in the office.

Like everything to do with Covid, there is no 'one size fits all' answer to return to work issues. Everyones experience of the last 15 months has varied wildly and therefore their feelings about how things should be done going forward are different. Just because you (generic you, no one specific) feel the office is dead and you could happily work from home forever, doesn't make it so. Not everyone who's been working from home wants to do it forever and neither do all employers.

Like it or not, employers are the ones paying you to do your job, so actually you need to do that job where they want you to do it. Going forward if we want to work from home permanently we will need to seek out companies who offer that as an option, not just try and force a change in the culture of the companies we currently work for if that's not how they want to continue operating. The job market is buoyant at the moment so if people don't like what is being proposed for their working arrangements there should be other options available.
We had a large group of young workers starting in January and for a lot of them it was hard because they didn’t know us so they were not comfortable asking questions and didn't know how to interact. For many it was their first job after uni. So they had no foundation of the workplace and its culture. So, I totally agree about going in the office or having a flexible arrangement for young workers.

For me though, I'd rather walk on glass than go back to my office. The rent near my workplace is 2k. That's already 90% of my income. Now add commuting, petrol, car insurance and it's killing my mental health. I have never felt better since I started working from home. But I am in a privileged position where I have enough experience to pick such employment.

Reactions: 10
Yes so much this. I'm not surprised employers are wanting people back into the office if people are using saving on childcare as a reason to WFH. You're supposed to be focusing on your work not looking after your kids. I've had so many calls/meetings interrupted by people having to dip out to see to their kids, it's so disruptive and unprofessional.
The only caveat I’d make is that the wfh environment can be hard on parents who don’t have an office space that’s completely isolated from the rest of the house. I’m part-time and it’s hard to make my 2yo understand that he can’t pop and see Daddy today, even though he can hear him talking in the next room. Obviously we go out as much as possible on my days off, but sometimes I want to stay at home!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
The only caveat I’d make is that the wfh environment can be hard on parents who don’t have an office space that’s completely isolated from the rest of the house. I’m part-time and it’s hard to make my 2yo understand that he can’t pop and see Daddy today, even though he can hear him talking in the next room. Obviously we go out as much as possible on my days off, but sometimes I want to stay at home!
People who don't have the space have now had a year and a half to save up thousands of pounds towards moving somewhere with more space.

I’m genuinely not sure if you’re being serious or not. Hopefully not because?!?!?!
Being serious. People have saved thousands from being home a year and a half saving on 5 lunches and 5 journeys a week. It's been great to save from not spending on things that can be avoided. My bank balance as never looked so good.

Being serious. People have saved thousands from being home a year and a half saving on 5 lunches and 5 journeys a week. It's been great to save from not spending on things that can be avoided. My bank balance as never looked so good.
Personally speaking, I always made my own lunches at home to bring to work and I had a very minimal commute. The stamp duty holiday has made house prices around me go crazy, so it’s not as simple as that for me. But, yeah, great if you do have a quiet office area.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
That is a direct example of the 'this is how things are for me so it should be like this for everyone' attitude that is not helpful in the return to work debate or any other debate around Covid and the societal changes that will result from the pandemic. Just because you saved thousands doesn't mean that will have been possible for everyone and there's a lot more to moving home than just being able to afford to do it anyway.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
That is a direct example of the 'this is how things are for me so it should be like this for everyone' attitude that is not helpful in the return to work debate or any other debate around Covid and the societal changes that will result from the pandemic. Just because you saved thousands doesn't mean that will have been possible for everyone and there's a lot more to moving home than just being able to afford to do it anyway.
Absolutely but WFH has saved people thousands of pounds from cash they would have otherwise spent going to work. Most of that period leisure activities have been shut such as pubs, cinemas etc to save more money. It's not been as easy for people to have their usual holidays so more money saved. Just a few examples. It's been a lot easier to save money for more important things by being forced to WFH and places not being open to relax at.

Lol I haven't saved a penny extra. My bus fare is £60. This has gone up now so will be £68 per month. I always took my own lunch and didn't really spend in the shops or pret across the road. The travel expense has simply moved over to different expenses.
Whereas working from home I am finding myself spend more. It isn't a one size fits all approach. Not everyone has saved thousands by WFH.

Absolutely but WFH has saved people thousands of pounds from cash they would have otherwise spent going to work. Most of that period leisure activities have been shut such as pubs, cinemas etc to save more money. It's not been as easy for people to have their usual holidays so more money saved. Just a few examples. It's been a lot easier to save money for more important things by being forced to WFH and places not being open to relax at.
I'm aware that some people have saved money by WFH for all the reasons you mention but some people haven't - as I keep saying life isn't 'one size fits all' and it depends on what your starting point is. Some people have been furloughed, made redundant, had to help support family members, didn't spend on holidays, pubs and cinemas in the first place etc. Having the whole family eating every single meal from home during lockdown at a time when food costs are increasing anyway has meant people spend much more on food and they've spent more of utilities because they're at home all day. Even if people have made some savings, anyone who has saved thousands was already in a place of privilege.

There seems to be an attitude amongst some parts of the workforce that WFH has been nothing but positive, everyone has saved a fortune, every one wants to keep doing it forever and it's a violation of their human rights to be asked to consider turning up at their place of work a few days a week. We all have a right to feel however we want about it of course, but not taking on board other people's experiences and feelings is self absorbed and not helpful.

I'm aware that some people have saved money by WFH for all the reasons you mention but some people haven't - as I keep saying life isn't 'one size fits all' and it depends on what your starting point is. Some people have been furloughed, made redundant, had to help support family members, didn't spend on holidays, pubs and cinemas in the first place etc. Having the whole family eating every single meal from home during lockdown at a time when food costs are increasing anyway has meant people spend much more on food and they've spent more of utilities because they're at home all day. Even if people have made some savings, anyone who has saved thousands was already in a place of privilege.

There seems to be an attitude amongst some parts of the workforce that WFH has been nothing but positive, everyone has saved a fortune, every one wants to keep doing it forever and it's a violation of their human rights to be asked to consider turning up at their place of work a few days a week. We all have a right to feel however we want about it of course, but not taking on board other people's experiences and feelings is self absorbed and not helpful.
E X A C T L Y. Especially since literally all I said was that my 2yo finds it hard to stay out of Daddy’s office. fwiw, we live in a 4 bed detached, but short of locking my 2yo and I in one room all day, I can’t escape the fact that the office is a repurposed bedroom and my 2yo knows where it is. And is, indeed, two years old, has lived his entire life through a pandemic and doesn’t really have a concept of the weekend v weekdays.

But, sure, all those trips to the cinema (that I wasn’t taking because, lol, 2yo) could have bought me a house with space in the garden for a home office with internet and heat.

People who expect others’ lived experiences to be the same as their own really annoy me, and for this reason I don’t particularly like going on a rant about my own personal circumstances, but please. It’s plain incorrect to say that parents who are disturbed by their kids in the working day are somehow failing as employees.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Once thing I am looking forward to is getting away from my mum in law. She has walked into countless meetings and invaded my privacy more at my age than I ever had as a teenager! I've been in trouble for her interruptions and it has embarrassed me professionally. And I know I'm lucky I have a spare bedroom to use as an office. I do prefer WFH for the benefits. But I don't think I've really saved anything more than usual and I don't think I would stay this way forever.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
I'm baffled by people saying they won't return to the office or they have told their boss they will only work two days in the office. I have been told when I'm returning and thats its full time, thats it. If I don't like it then find another job. I'm 45, I've had quite a few jobs since I left college over 25 years ago and never have I been able to dictate to my employer what I'm doing. Are people really able to do that?

Reactions: 8
I'm baffled by people saying they won't return to the office or they have told their boss they will only work two days in the office. I have been told when I'm returning and thats its full time, thats it. If I don't like it then find another job. I'm 45, I've had quite a few jobs since I left college over 25 years ago and never have I been able to dictate to my employer what I'm doing. Are people really able to do that?
I did as I've already said in my post above - although I didn't refuse to go back I requested to change my working pattern and asked if I could continue wfh. My reasons were my mental health. If they would have said no I understand why and I would have gone back to the office.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I think some people think they can do that, but that most of them will be in for a rude awakening! We had a lot of talk about what people would and wouldn't do at my company but once clear directions were in place people have had to fall in line or get another job. It does help that my company have been really reasonable and safety conscious but that doesn't stop some people moaning and feeling hard done to of course :rolleyes:.

I did as I've already said in my post above - although I didn't refuse to go back I requested to change my working pattern and asked if I could continue wfh. My reasons were my mental health. If they would have said no I understand why and I would have gone back to the office.
There's a big difference between requesting a move to home working and discussing it like a grown up which you did, and just demanding your own way and thinking you can dictate to your employer which some people seem to think they can do. I'm glad you got to move to a permanent WFH contract as that is what works best for you :).

Reactions: 7
Requesting and demanding are massively different. I have colleagues that have requested different hours and working patterns. They are happy for me to condense my week as long as I still work my contracted hours.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.