White Allyship

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I pray for the day where everyone will be judged on their personalities and their actions and not their skin colour. Where anyone can call out anyone for wrong doing and colour will not be brought into it. Have 13th on my watch list for tomorrow.

Reactions: 3
I pray for the day where everyone will be judged on their personalities and their actions and not their skin colour. Where anyone can call out anyone for wrong doing and colour will not be brought into it. Have 13th on my watch list for tomorrow.
The first time I tried to watch 13th I got about 9 minutes in and had to turn it off because it was so hard to watch.

Then I realised that that was my white privilege, if I didn’t like it I could turn off from it. Didn’t have to experience it. POC who experience racism can’t do it that.

I watched it all last night. A really really insightful watch and I definitely recommend it!

20200603_183319.jpg

Yes all forms of racism are wrong but I feel like this is not the time, let's help put out the fire first then work on the dry rot of our society. Perhaps you could set up a new anti racism thread and begin that discussion but please don't derail a thread that is for white allyship, a space for learning and support.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
QsI think maybe you meant to reply to the original poster and not me but I completely agree.
It’s so scary to see someone claim that all of this is ok because a minority of people from a certain culture did something horrendous (grooming gangs) while the bulk of abuse in the UK has been perpetrated by white men. Where is her concern for the victims of Jimmy Saville?
Oh yeah it was meant for the other post I'm so sorry I got really really angry and just started typing but you said everything I wanted to say and more it's scary that someone actually thinks it's OK imagine what they withheld inside and did t say it 😒

Reactions: 1
I have just seen a video of the New York police department running protestors over, who look to be behind a designated fenced off area. I can’t comprehend how they think that will help them take control of the escalating situation and earn them any respect from the people participating in the protest. My heart hurts, this is so awful. It’s a distressing watch. 🙁

Also this one where police departments are using excessive force, it brought tears to my eyes.

Oh my bleeping god. I find myself thinking these must be set ups because surely to duck no police department would act like this but the worst thing is I know it's real. Absolutely disgusting.

• Sad

This video is absolutely horrific. Glad to see it getting a large amount of coverage. Seen it on the news multiple times already this morning.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 2
Wouldn’t 1st degree require proof that he planned the murder ahead of time? I’m not sure how well they would be able to prove that beyond reasonable doubt (correct me if I’m wrong). 2nd degree I have no doubt about though - there’s more than enough evidence for any normal person to see that!
Exactly, we have watched the evidence with our own eyes. If they get out of this, their lawyer deserves to become king because I don't see how they can defend it. They will surely be looking for some technicality to mean it won't even get to trial.

I read his first autopsy a few days ago when it was released. I don't really know whether to believe it given that it was carried out by the same institution that killed him, but the comments on the post were beyond ridiculous.

From "he had meth & fentanyl in his system, that must've contributed" (even though I think the drug traces were very small) to the even more ridiculous "he tested positive for covid so he died from that..." and "so covid killed him then!" People seem desperate to find some kind of narrative... 9 minutes of a knee on your neck would kill ANYONE. No matter if you had traces of drugs in your system or a heart issue. Drives me completely insane.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Oh yeah it was meant for the other post I'm so sorry I got really really angry and just started typing but you said everything I wanted to say and more it's scary that someone actually thinks it's OK imagine what they withheld inside and did t say it 😒
No worries! I thought so but I was like please don’t think I would say these things. ❤
It’s so scary. Especially cos that’s what they think in public albeit anonymously.

This is SUCH a great resource. In real life, when I come to the defence of the BLM movement, I'm not eloquent enough to put my thoughts in to words even though I know what I mean, I cant for the life of me explain.

I'll be sharing these with family and all my social medias. Many thanks @GossWhore x

I’m really glad I have found this thread, I have tried to have adult conversations with other adults who made some ignorant comments (the whole ‘one bad apple shouldn’t spoil the bunch’ comment and even brought up George Floyds history up, almost using it as an excuse to justify his Murder), they then said that they don’t ‘see colour’. I tried to get them to understand that even if they don’t ‘see colour’ we live in a world that clearly does and it favours certain people (white/straight/Christian folk).. anyway, the comments were going back and forth and it wasn’t getting anywhere so I deleted them. I feel exhausted and so mad they can’t see it from other perspectives!! I can’t imagine how tiring this must be for those who actually experience these discriminations!!
Sorry, I’m not looking for sympathy, just to vent. Thanks for this thread. Off I go to try and convert some more privileged people!

• Heart
This is very helpful - thank you for sharing. I am one of those people who “doesn’t see race”. I genuinely don’t notice it. When I was at university, my mum asked me if there were many people of colour on my course. And I couldn’t answer her, as I really didn’t even notice. When I thought about it, I had Indian/black/Asian friends. I now realise that is wrong, and will work on that ignorant side of myself. Thank you again.

I read his first autopsy a few days ago when it was released. I don't really know whether to believe it given that it was carried out by the same institution that killed him, but the comments on the post were beyond ridiculous.

From "he had meth & fentanyl in his system, that must've contributed" (even though I think the drug traces were very small) to the even more ridiculous "he tested positive for covid so he died from that..." and "so covid killed him then!" People seem desperate to find some kind of narrative... 9 minutes of a knee on your neck would kill ANYONE. No matter if you had traces of drugs in your system or a heart issue. Drives me completely insane.
To me, this is the police officers defence being started up - “oh, of course I realise that kneeling on his neck doesn’t look good, but it was COVID-19/existing health conditions/drug taking that caused him to die. Not my fault. Now if you’ll just acquit me, I’ll be on my way.”

I hope the jurors in the case see through that and convict them.

One thing that really grinds my gears is people expressing a negative opinion about the protests when they are straight, white, men - and they’re trying to act as though they could possibly understand the oppression black people have faced for decades.

You are literally in a non-oppressed group for your gender, sexuality and race so how could you possibly know enough to be commenting on how black people should or shouldn’t react to this? Always seems to be middle aged men too. Saying it’s nothing to do with “race” and people are being violent/looting. 🙄

• Heart
Reactions: 6
One thing that really grinds my gears is people expressing a negative opinion about the protests when they are straight, white, men - and they’re trying to act as though they could possibly understand the oppression black people have faced for decades.

You are literally in a non-oppressed group for your gender, sexuality and race so how could you possibly know enough to be commenting on how black people should or shouldn’t react to this? Always seems to be middle aged men too. Saying it’s nothing to do with “race” and people are being violent/looting. 🙄
I agree, as a fat female with an ‘invisible’ disability (white) I’ve faced a fair few prejudices so for a few years now I’ve been actively learning and reading and ‘preaching’(to anyone who’ll listen) about racial/sexuality/disability injustices and even more so now. I just can’t tolerate it one bit. But even then anything I’ve ever faced, I have no real clue how black people feel, my life is not in consistent danger 24/7 and I am not oppressed as black lives are. I hope this is a wake up call for the ignorant because we damn well need it!

Regarding influencers they are posting about black influencers and sharing websites and companies run by WOC etc but surely they met black influencers at events so why didn't they post about them then? when some get called out for posting about them now their response is its 'better late then never' which in a way is true but they should have done this before IMO.