Which shops do you miss?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How DOES HMV keep going? Haven’t bought. DVD or CD in years 📺
It feels a bit weird in there now. It's always dead and they stock a strange mix of things. Nobody wants DVDs or CDs so the focus seems to be selling Funko Pops and other such tat that, again, nobody wants (but some people must otherwise they'd stop selling them!).

Reactions: 3
It really did. I do miss Debenhams (and BHS) especially at Christmas. When all else failed then you could always rely on it.
Our city centre is dire, even the large M&S has gone, have to travel five miles to another town now. I really miss Debenhams too, lots of choice in just one store.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Snob , which was part of etam
Didn't know this. Combining two posts in one as I was going to name snob as my fav missed shop.

It feels a bit weird in there now. It's always dead and they stock a strange mix of things. Nobody wants DVDs or CDs so the focus seems to be selling Funko Pops and other such tat that, again, nobody wants (but some people must otherwise they'd stop selling them!).
Maybe it's just used to wash cash through like the American sweet shops, nails, coffee, Turkish barbers etc.

HMV is hanging on due to a resurgence in the popularity of vinyl. I think their games sales help too.

I miss Morgan and USC for decently-priced clothes. Apparently Morgan still exists in Europe.

Has anyone else spent time in Liverpool and have fond memories of Quiggins?

House of Fraser.

I think there are still branches across the UK but they shut the one near me and it’s SUCH a miss at Christmas time.

I also miss Topshop.

Woolworths was great and reminds me of good times as a child. BHS, loved going in there with my Grandma.

Shopping just isn’t the same now!

Reactions: 4
House of Fraser.

I think there are still branches across the UK but they shut the one near me and it’s SUCH a miss at Christmas time.

I also miss Topshop.

Woolworths was great and reminds me of good times as a child. BHS, loved going in there with my Grandma.

Shopping just isn’t the same now!
I just don't get what Sports Direct are trying to achieve with HoF/Frasers anymore. They just seem to buy every failing brand and then shove everything into one store. But then are they launching Frasers department stores, Flannels department stores, sports Direct department stores?

I just don't get what Sports Direct are trying to achieve with HoF/Frasers anymore. They just seem to buy every failing brand and then shove everything into one store. But then are they launching Frasers department stores, Flannels department stores, sports Direct department stores?
They are opening a huge Flannels department store near me but that’s just too high end I think.

HOF was high end but it wasn’t like Gucci and all that jazz.
I’ll never forget going in HOF before it shut and seeing the big buckets full of Donnay socks. It just took the shine off the whole experience.

If I want cheap sportswear I’ll go to SD. I feel like they’re ruining their own brand…

Reactions: 5
the paper mill shop near liverpool central 😭 😭 quite niche but used to go every time we were in town and loved it when i used to make little cards as a kid

the paper mill shop near liverpool central 😭 😭 quite niche but used to go every time we were in town and loved it when i used to make little cards as a kid
We had one of those in Metrocentre too. I loved it there! I've still got a couple of boxes of card and paper I got from there years ago

Reactions: 1
Bookshops that are not Waterstones.

We had two Waterstones in our high street at one point. Ridiculous.

Reactions: 1
I really miss Principles it was my fave clothes shop back in the day (and a family friend worked there and used to put stuff by while I either thought about it or waited for payday). Also really miss Woolworths, rarely did you not find what you were looking for in homewear, Christmas gifts for friends children it was great. Woolworths closed about 3 weeks before I moved into my house my kitchen is full of basics purchased in the 75% off in the Woolies closing down sale, most of them I am still using today.

As for the house of Fraser - I last went there over 7 years ago to buy a decent toaster as £9 cheapy one was dying and we had received a gift card for them as a wedding pressie and I put about 50p towards a silicone spoon to use the voucher balance, both toaster and spoon are amazing but wouldn't have gone to HOF if I didn't have a gift card! I don't know how they survive! Hubby looks for my Christmas and birthday gifts every year but leaves empty handed, telling me it's like a ghost town!

Reactions: 3
Index. It was a slightly more crap version of Argos, but it was still pretty decent.

Reactions: 6
I really miss Principles it was my fave clothes shop back in the day (and a family friend worked there and used to put stuff by while I either thought about it or waited for payday). Also really miss Woolworths, rarely did you not find what you were looking for in homewear, Christmas gifts for friends children it was great. Woolworths closed about 3 weeks before I moved into my house my kitchen is full of basics purchased in the 75% off in the Woolies closing down sale, most of them I am still using today.

As for the house of Fraser - I last went there over 7 years ago to buy a decent toaster as £9 cheapy one was dying and we had received a gift card for them as a wedding pressie and I put about 50p towards a silicone spoon to use the voucher balance, both toaster and spoon are amazing but wouldn't have gone to HOF if I didn't have a gift card! I don't know how they survive! Hubby looks for my Christmas and birthday gifts every year but leaves empty handed, telling me it's like a ghost town!
Principles still exists in the form of Mint Velvet.

Last edited:
Loved this shop! I think there was one at Cheshire Oaks at one point…

I’m fancying a Ye Olde pasty though now.
Not had one in years.
I think a trip to see what shops remain in Bolton is in order.
OH’s family owned a pub (no longer there) a few doors down from the pasty shop, in the 1970s. He still asks his mum to bring pasties (we’re about 120 miles away!) and freezes them for a treat 🤣
Years back, I was in Bolton and called in to get some pasties. I told the staff who OH was and got treated like royalty. I was given some black peas too!

Last edited:
Woolworths had been awful for ages and it had an exclusive deal with its entertainment product supplier, which crashed.

I miss record shops run by The Chain With No Name. Some were called Spinadisc. There was one in Northampton that I spent many hours in as a nerdy, music-obsessed teen.