Which shops do you miss?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Woolworths for sure! Their pic n mix counter and Christmas tat 😍
We used to have a stationers nearby (small chain in the north west) called Partners, it was amazing and started my obsession with stationery!
Any shop that sold stickers on the roll 😍
I miss the House of Fraser of old…..
We had Partners in the North East too. It was a fab stationery shop!!

And in the same theme - Stationery Box

Woolworths
Miss Selfridge
Dolcis
Faith
Disney Shop
C&A
BHS
Borders Books

Reactions: 4
I miss doing my christmas shopping in BHS and Debenhams. The Toys r us advert being on. Going in Woolies as a kid for the toys section, then later as a teen for the back to school stationary and CD's. Dorothy Perkins, Miss selfridge and Topshop too.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
There are more restaurants than proper shops now.
I miss shoe shops. Going in, looking around and being able to try on the footwear. There's only Clarke's and TK Maxx near me that do shoes but I don't like TK Maxx because it's not a proper range of footwear, just odds and sods.

Reactions: 7
Topshop when it was good and sold basics and not all the latest fashion items for teenagers like crop tops etc.

We used to have a stationers nearby (small chain in the north west) called Partners, it was amazing and started my obsession with stationery!
Any shop that sold stickers on the roll 😍
I miss the House of Fraser of old…..
we used to have Partners in the Midlands, as a preteen me and my best friend were obsessed with it and went every week!

I miss the brick and mortar Dorothy Perkins. They used to have decent blouse and trousers for workwear. I know they have a website but the quality has gone downhill. I pretty much stick to Sainsburies and Tesco clothes now, the offering in city centres is abysmal now.

Reactions: 8
It's easy to forget just how many great shops have now closed. I hope all the staff who lost their jobs (absolutely thousands) managed to find employment elsewhere.

Reactions: 9
I do miss BHS at Christmas. They had such good bits in there! Debenhams was one of my sale shops for next years bits. Clinging onto boots and card factory now 😆

Debenhams, because it will always be the shop where me, my brother and mum went shopping one day. Me in my pushchair, brother a couple years older. He ran ahead into the lift, doors closed and he pressed the buttons, unfortunately including the stop button.

Queue him panicking in the lift, a lot of waiting around until they got the lift going. And all I vividly really remember is me in my pushchair, my brother running up the stairs after they'd got him out. And then me getting the fizzy drink the staff had got for him because he didn't like fizzy drinks, so me sitting their in my pushchair like a little tit sucking my straw drinking, I think Fanta.

• Haha
Topshop circa 1999 to 2006. Now I’m middle aged my favourite shop is Wilkos and I pray that never goes into admin!

Reactions: 11
Topshop circa 1999 to 2006. Now I’m middle aged my favourite shop is Wilkos and I pray that never goes into admin!
Don't want to worry you, but there are question marks about Wilko. Lots of whispers of trouble potentially brewing. Lots of stores seemingly struggling to get stock in, to an extreme level, also apparently lots of talks between Wilko and their landlords.

I certainly hope they don't go under like you, because it's such a good shop and has so much range and when it's good it's great, just feels like they are in a sticky patch at the moment.

There seems to be so many high street shops closing that I thought we can discuss any popular ones that have now, sadly, closed.

I used to enjoy buying clothes from Principles, and still miss them.

But the biggest loss IMO is Debenhams. It was my go to for shoes, as they had a huge selection of many brands, all under one roof. I also bought the majority of my Xmas shopping at Debenhams, especially on Black Friday as their offers were brilliant. Many of their stores still remain empty and don't look good in cities and shopping malls.

And now, I've just realised that The Perfume Shop seems to be closing many of their outlets, which I regularly visited.
The people behind Principles started up Mint Velvet which is still going strong.

Reactions: 3
It's easy to forget just how many great shops have now closed. I hope all the staff who lost their jobs (absolutely thousands) managed to find employment elsewhere.
One of the assistant managers at Dorothy Perkins is on You Tube. Dainty Diaries. She's a nice girl.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
There are many stores with empty shelves right now. I spent my teens and twenties working in retail and if you had a shelf or arm end empty and god forbid your area manager walked in at that moment (even if you were carrying stock to replenish it) you’d be given some serious side eye and notes made on their visit report. Anyways enough of the reminiscing it just strikes me that things must be really bad to go from that extreme to the current situation. QUOTE="StephenTJackson, post: 12399525, member: 1065"]
Don't want to worry you, but there are question marks about Wilko. Lots of whispers of trouble potentially brewing. Lots of stores seemingly struggling to get stock in, to an extreme level, also apparently lots of talks between Wilko and their landlords.

I certainly hope they don't go under like you, because it's such a good shop and has so much range and when it's good it's great, just feels like they are in a sticky patch at the moment.
[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 2
Oooh thank you, I didn't know that. I've just had a look on their web site and I'm liking their dresses, albeit rather pricey.
The staff are lovely especially in the York concession in Fenwick's?
I went in once feeling depressed as I'd put on weight and couldn't find anything to wear for a social do.
Thanks to a member of staff I left there with a great top which everyone remembers and has lasted. I try not to over wear it as I don't want it to wear out 😄

• Heart
The Body Shop. I know it still exists but it used to be a lot better than it is now.