Which shops do you miss?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ye olde pasty shoppe.
So not a Carrs fan then?
I do like them, but always preferred Ye Olde. I find the pastry a bit too thick on Carrs.

Oh blimey, we have a Wiganer on here. Bet they have something to say about Pies and Pasties!

Reactions: 1
I do like them, but always preferred Ye Olde. I find the pastry a bit too thick on Carrs.

Oh blimey, we have a Wiganer on here. Bet they have something to say about Pies and Pasties!
I’m fancying a Ye Olde pasty though now.
Not had one in years.
I think a trip to see what shops remain in Bolton is in order.

I’m fancying a Ye Olde pasty though now.
Not had one in years.
I think a trip to see what shops remain in Bolton is in order.
You escaped too then? I'm not too far away, south Manchester. It's about a 25 minute drive for our Pasty pilgrimage. I introduced a local friend to them and they do trips now too! Non Bolton people going there specifically for them.

You escaped too then? I'm not too far away, south Manchester. It's about a 25 minute drive for our Pasty pilgrimage. I introduced a local friend to them and they do trips now too! Non Bolton people going there specifically for them.
I’m still in Wigan but rarely get to Bolton town centre these days, any shopping trips in that direction are usually to Middlebrook, probably because of the ease of parking.

I loved C&A carrier bags
HMV
Wimpey
BHS
Whitakers ( was a local department store)
Partners
Au naturel
Chelsea girl
Talibs, not sure if this was local but had the best jeans
Andy’s records
Index
Butty shop at bottom of my mums street, was woman’s front room I think but she made the best sandwiches
local chippy for Friday night tea while I watched Monkey, NOW a kebab shop
but I miss catalogues the most, more so at this time of year and making my Christmas list. You can see old Argos ones online, gives me all the nostalgia feels of fave toys I had as a kid, and also good for a laugh if you are an oldie like me.
I think Chelsea Girl became River Island

Me and a friend went to our local city centre the other day, it was abysmal. Basically just takeaway food outlets where all the highstreet shops used to be. The shops are all mostly in the shopping centre. Pretty much we just kept to the shopping centre and even that has just the usual same 20 shops as other towns. JD Sports, Perfume Shop, Warren James, New Look, H&M etc. There's no unique boutiques any more. I think I will have to drive quite a way to get somewhere with unique shops.

Without Debenhams in my city, it does feel more difficult to find gifts for people who are hard to buy for. Usually Debenhams would save the day, for me.

Reactions: 6
I really miss Our Price. It was my favourite shop as a 90s teen. I spent hours and hours in there, it was paradise.

Woolworths is second choice. It had everything and was so convenient. Their pick n mix was the best.

Reactions: 7
I know it has been said, but HMV and Virgin I remember going to free concerts for album launches of big bands/artists in the Oxford St ones when I was younger, there is nothing free like that now, I have been to paid album launches recently but it makes me sad that there is nothing free. Also woolworths, of course, pick and mix in Wilkos is nowhere near as good/extensive

I know it has been said, but HMV and Virgin I remember going to free concerts for album launches of big bands/artists in the Oxford St ones when I was younger, there is nothing free like that now, I have been to paid album launches recently but it makes me sad that there is nothing free. Also woolworths, of course, pick and mix in Wilkos is nowhere near as good/extensive
Not a Londoner so never went to album launches etc. And I know HMV still just about manages to keep going. But for me it was never as good as Virgin Megastore/Zavvi it turned into. I was never big into music back then, but I loved nothing more than walking through the DVD selection, looking for something new or a good value boxset. Downloads/streaming just aren't the same.

But I'm guilty for using both, they just don't have that excitement of a shopping trip special event thing.

Not a Londoner so never went to album launches etc. And I know HMV still just about manages to keep going. But for me it was never as good as Virgin Megastore/Zavvi it turned into. I was never big into music back then, but I loved nothing more than walking through the DVD selection, looking for something new or a good value boxset. Downloads/streaming just aren't the same.

But I'm guilty for using both, they just don't have that excitement of a shopping trip special event thing.
Yeh I use streaming etc too, but the enjoyment of just spending hours wandering around a huge HMV etc is something I miss! I do the same in bookshops now, thank god they still exist !

Reactions: 2
Forfars (if you are from the SE)
Top Shop x10000000
C&A, Early Learning Centre and Woolies = my childhood
Anita Roddicks Body Shop

Yeh I use streaming etc too, but the enjoyment of just spending hours wandering around a huge HMV etc is something I miss! I do the same in bookshops now, thank god they still exist !
It's the browsing that made it special. Doing it for books is just as enjoyable, and the smell. Although I don't get the chance to do that as often as I'd like either.

• Heart
There are more restaurants than proper shops now.
It’s restaurants, cafes and charity shops now! I went somewhere last weekend and the market square (which is small) has 8 food places/cafes and 2 actual shops. It’s ridiculous.

Past Times
I wish there was a shop like this now

but I miss catalogues the most, more so at this time of year and making my Christmas list. You can see old Argos ones online, gives me all the nostalgia feels of fave toys I had as a kid, and also good for a laugh if you are an oldie like me.
Sounds odd but I can still smell the Argos catalogue - used to always want Barbies!

Reactions: 3
Early learning Centre was fab, their wooden toys were really good quality- everything they made was.
Remember when Debenhams had Rocha John Rocha and other designer lines? I miss those. Used to love a mooch in there through the beauty department and their cafe was always decent.
I will always miss TopShop Oxford Street. It was like a huge treasure trove with such a great vibe.

Reactions: 4
How DOES HMV keep going? Haven’t bought. DVD or CD in years 📺

Reactions: 2
Omg yes I spent half my teenage years at the virgin megastore on Tottenham court road, saw and met so many bands there!

• Heart