Which shops do you miss?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Debenhams
Dolcis
Faith
Woolworths
C&A (great for skiing stuff)
Allders

Shopping online may be convenient but how grim compared to all those Saturdays with our mates at the local shopping centre.

Reactions: 6
There seems to be so many high street shops closing that I thought we can discuss any popular ones that have now, sadly, closed.

I used to enjoy buying clothes from Principles, and still miss them.

But the biggest loss IMO is Debenhams. It was my go to for shoes, as they had a huge selection of many brands, all under one roof. I also bought the majority of my Xmas shopping at Debenhams, especially on Black Friday as their offers were brilliant. Many of their stores still remain empty and don't look good in cities and shopping malls.

And now, I've just realised that The Perfume Shop seems to be closing many of their outlets, which I regularly visited.
Aww I miss Debenhams

Debenhams, because it will always be the shop where me, my brother and mum went shopping one day. Me in my pushchair, brother a couple years older. He ran ahead into the lift, doors closed and he pressed the buttons, unfortunately including the stop button.

Queue him panicking in the lift, a lot of waiting around until they got the lift going. And all I vividly really remember is me in my pushchair, my brother running up the stairs after they'd got him out. And then me getting the fizzy drink the staff had got for him because he didn't like fizzy drinks, so me sitting their in my pushchair like a little tit sucking my straw drinking, I think Fanta.
You reminded me I once dropped an ice cream cone in Woolworths once and whilst my dad consoled (crying) me, my mother tore a strip off me.

I also once got lost in Roches Stores (a local department store which incidentally was bought by Debenhams) and for the rest of the story please see above

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1
I loved C&A carrier bags
HMV
Wimpey
BHS
Whitakers ( was a local department store)
Partners
Au naturel
Chelsea girl
Talibs, not sure if this was local but had the best jeans
Andy’s records
Index
Butty shop at bottom of my mums street, was woman’s front room I think but she made the best sandwiches
local chippy for Friday night tea while I watched Monkey, NOW a kebab shop
but I miss catalogues the most, more so at this time of year and making my Christmas list. You can see old Argos ones online, gives me all the nostalgia feels of fave toys I had as a kid, and also good for a laugh if you are an oldie like me.

Reactions: 4
I loved C&A carrier bags
HMV
Wimpey
BHS
Whitakers ( was a local department store)
Partners
Au naturel
Chelsea girl
Talibs, not sure if this was local but had the best jeans
Andy’s records
Index
Butty shop at bottom of my mums street, was woman’s front room I think but she made the best sandwiches
local chippy for Friday night tea while I watched Monkey, NOW a kebab shop
but I miss catalogues the most, more so at this time of year and making my Christmas list. You can see old Argos ones online, gives me all the nostalgia feels of fave toys I had as a kid, and also good for a laugh if you are an oldie like me.
Whitakers in Bolton?
A great store.

Reactions: 1
Back in the early days of Trafford Centre we had both Bath and Body works and The Pier
Loved and miss them both even now

Reactions: 3
It was always the go to place for engagement & wedding rings.
Off topic - When I worked there I sold a Bolton Wanderers player an engagement ring for £800. For Prestons this was one of their cheaper rings, even in the 90's. Not long after he bought a £10,400 Rolex for himself. Cheapskate!

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Wedding ring world Ha ha. Always had fabulous adverts that made it look like New York…. Preston’s of Bolton the diamond centre of the north….. or something like that.

gutted sweetens bookshop closed to. I also got my first white boot roller skates from Gibson sports next door.

When the original Nevada burned down I literally wept.

Wedding ring world Ha ha. Always had fabulous adverts that made it look like New York…. Preston’s of Bolton the diamond centre of the north….. or something like that.

gutted sweetens bookshop closed to. I also got my first white boot roller skates from Gibson sports next door.

When the original Nevada burned down I literally wept.
Sweetens bookshop was such a sweet little shop. I was a bit of a swot at school and often won vouchers for there. I remember buying a Judy Blume book the first time I won. It was right opposite Whitakers.

I haven't lived in Bolton for a long time, but what once was a thriving town centre is now just a shell of it's former self. The only time I ever go back is to bulk buy from Ye Olde Pastie Shoppe to freeze!

Reactions: 2
We used to have InShops, which I miss.
It was like a little shopping village...I know there were a few dotted around the country.
I remember being able to get stuff in the InShops that I couldn't get anywhere else. I could actually go in and place an order for Commodore 64 cassettes and Sweet Valley Twin books.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Sweetens bookshop was such a sweet little shop. I was a bit of a swot at school and often won vouchers for there. I remember buying a Judy Blume book the first time I won. It was right opposite Whitakers.

I haven't lived in Bolton for a long time, but what once was a thriving town centre is now just a shell of it's former self. The only time I ever go back is to bulk buy from Ye Olde Pastie Shoppe to freeze!
Ye olde pasty shoppe.
So not a Carrs fan then?