Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Also the Beaumont children. All three children went missing after a day at the beach, they were seen talking to a man

Disappearance of Asha degree, she went missing in the middle of the night seemingly on her own accord, but a few months later, her rucksack was found buried. (I personally think someone who knew her lured her away)

Also disappeared of Mikelle Biggs. She went missing whilst waiting for an ice cream truck, and recently someone handed in a note that said “My name is Mikel Biggs, kidnapped from AZ, I’m alive”, they don’t know if she wrote that or not and if it’s true

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Manchester arena is one that will stick with me for a long time. For a very long time Manchester was my go to arena (until Leeds became an option) the foyer where it happened was the exit I’d used on multiple occasions (inc feb 2017) especially when I was at university and needed to catch a train back to where I was living at the time. I remember not sleeping the entire night because it could so easily been a show I’d attended . The situation was made so much worse because I knew multiple people at the show one of whom was only about 7 or 8 at the time.

7/7 sticks with me because it was the first big event I remember watching unfold online and a reasonably live pace. It was end of term Year 10 and we had a random computer room lesson and I just remember it breaking in the yahoo homepage.

Soham murders stick out to me as well because it even made the Australian news when I’d gone on holiday to see some family.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Irish here, we only legalised abortion about a year ago and there were some harrowing stories that stuck with me during the ban that forced women to go aboard to seek healthcare.

Savita Halappanavar's story always stuck with me. In 2012, she went into hospital while she was 17-weeks pregnant and she was in a great amount of pain. She asked several times for her pregnancy to be terminated because she had severe back pain and was miscarrying. But her requests were refused because there was a foetal heartbeat. Her waters eventually broke as she was miscarrying, but some severe complications occurred and she ended up developing sepsis. She died a day later of cardiac arrest. She was only 31 years old, leaving her widowed husband behind. If doctors could have intervened earlier on Savita's request, this situation could have been avoided altogether.

I know people might have different opinions on abortion, and it's not the nicest topic to discuss. However, Savita (and many other women like her) were denied the appropriate healthcare that they needed and left to die of something that could have been prevented.

On the day it abortion was legalised, I went along to a vigil for Savita. It was bittersweet knowing that we'll never face a situation like this again but for Savita and her family, it was too late.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 112
Milly Dowler. We’re the same age and I remember watching it on the news - so much news coverage about the case! - and feeling like ‘crap... she’s just like me / my friends’. She seemed like such a beautiful soul, I find myself thinking of her sometimes and wondering what she’d be doing now.

I read her sisters book a few years ago and it was heartbreaking- such a difficult read. But it really gave you an insight on how badly her family were treated by the police and the media. Not to mention the added trauma of the phone hacking scandal. Devastating for them. I hope they’ve been able to find some peace now.

• Sad
Reactions: 18
Mine are pretty recent ones. Grenfell Tower and Manchester Terror attacks. The Manchester one left me in shock for days. It was too close to home and I was just heartbroken that people had to go through that.

We flew into Orlando the day of the pulse nightclub shooting and I’ll never forget how devastated everyone was.

I obviously remember 9/11 and the London bombings like it was yesterday. Wish I didn’t because things like that play heavily on my mind.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Also the Beaumont children. All three children went missing after a day at the beach, they were seen talking to a man

Disappearance of Asha degree, she went missing in the middle of the night seemingly on her own accord, but a few months later, her rucksack was found buried. (I personally think someone who knew her lured her away)

Also disappeared of Mikelle Biggs. She went missing whilst waiting for an ice cream truck, and recently someone handed in a note that said “My name is Mikel Biggs, kidnapped from AZ, I’m alive”, they don’t know if she wrote that or not and if it’s true
That is such a huge mystery. Also the girls who went missing from the Adelaide Oval in the '70s ... there were some seriously bad things happening in Aussie at that time. It's very sad that Mrs Beaumont died recently, never knowing what happened to her children. If anyone wants a case to disappear down a rabbit hole with, that should keep you occupied for a fair while. A Dutch psychic was flown out to point to where he thought they might be buried (they weren't); the son of a respected businessman claimed seeing his father push them into a car boot; and there were many sightings of at least two of them over the years. So many twists and turns.

For me, it was the Pike River mine disaster in New Zealand, in 2010. Twenty nine men lost their lives in an underground explosion. Nobody knows if they died instantly or lived - in hope that someone would come and rescue them (they never did, and their bodies are still there until this day). It's just such a sad story and I think of those poor souls often.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Grenfell Tower fire. I have nightmares and often think of what I would do / say in the same situation 😔

Morecambe bay 2004
Makes me sick to this day
I just read about this and I’ve got goosebumps all over my body and OMG it’s so sad I’m sobbing 😭😭😭

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
The story of Ken Bigley, Jack Hensley and Eugene Armstrong who were kidnapped and subsequently beheaded by Al Qaeda.

I remember crying when the first captives were killed. The captives seemed to be keeping Ken going and I was hopeful he would be rescued by forces or a deal would be struck, but he was killed about three weeks later.

I was in my early teens and really shocked by the cruelty of it all.

• Sad
Reactions: 15
This thread has been an eye opener as there’s so many I didn’t know about 😢
I had two weeks left before giving birth to my first child when James Bulger was murdered. I, like the rest of the country and world was heartbroken for his poor parents. Unbelievable what kids could do to a little toddler. 💔

• Sad
Reactions: 9
Gosh so they don’t know who the bones belong too?
Not as yet. I think it’s an ongoing investigation but they think they’re much older (as in it was from a lot longer ago, not necessarily older than these boys)

Mine are pretty recent ones. Grenfell Tower and Manchester Terror attacks. The Manchester one left me in shock for days. It was too close to home and I was just heartbroken that people had to go through that.

We flew into Orlando the day of the pulse nightclub shooting and I’ll never forget how devastated everyone was.

I obviously remember 9/11 and the London bombings like it was yesterday. Wish I didn’t because things like that play heavily on my mind.
Manchester stays in my head too. I was 9 months pregnant and felt so sad about the children and the baby I was bringing into this world.

Grenfell happened the night I went into labour so I thought a couple of people had died. I was then in hospital for 5 days and didn’t see any news so was shocked when I got home and saw it was so so many 😢

This thread has been an eye opener as there’s so many I didn’t know about 😢
I had two weeks left before giving birth to my first child when James Bulger was murdered. I, like the rest of the country and world was heartbroken for his poor parents. Unbelievable what kids could do to a little toddler. 💔
The James Bulger one sticks with me, that footage of them taking him away is so chilling. I have a 3 year old now so cannot even imagine how awful it was.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
This wasn’t national news or anything but I knew a girl growing up, we went to the same primary school but she was in the year below. We knew each other because we walked the same route to school and got to know each other over time.

Anyway skip to a few years later, we were never super close friends or anything so we had drifted apart. I was reading the local paper one day only to read that at 17 years old she had hung herself in the local park. Still sticks with me today. She was always so bubbly and bright, who knew she was going through so much pain. I can’t even go to that park now without thinking of her.

Lots but recently those two kids, the milk carton ones, that went missing.

they think it was a local guy who they took in at the time all these years ago but couldn’t get evidence to actually take to court...I think.

recently they’ve found bones buried in the same area this ‘man’ would dump rubbish and I'm Needing to read up to see if any updates. I hope it’s them simply because the family can get closure, poor kids.

I live quite close to the area the remains were found. I think they’ve concluded that the remains don’t belong to those boys. Those poor lads. I do hope the families can get some closure.

Holly and Jessica also sticks with me. It was the first time I had been aware of children going missing and I was of a similar age to them. I remember my step mum telling my step sister and I that we must be careful when out and about and she seemed genuinely scared by what happened to them. As an adult and a parent now I totally get it.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
Manchester arena is one that will stick with me for a long time. For a very long time Manchester was my go to arena (until Leeds became an option) the foyer where it happened was the exit I’d used on multiple occasions (inc feb 2017) especially when I was at university and needed to catch a train back to where I was living at the time. I remember not sleeping the entire night because it could so easily been a show I’d attended . The situation was made so much worse because I knew multiple people at the show one of whom was only about 7 or 8 at the time.

7/7 sticks with me because it was the first big event I remember watching unfold online and a reasonably live pace. It was end of term Year 10 and we had a random computer room lesson and I just remember it breaking in the yahoo homepage.

Soham murders stick out to me as well because it even made the Australian news when I’d gone on holiday to see some family.
Yes, I always used the foyer as well. It was much easier than going up and down those steep steps into the main entrance. I remember going to see the Scissor Sisters with my mum in about 2007/8 and we sat in the foyer for ages before the gig because we’d arrived really early. I actually know people who were caught up in the arena bombing (unharmed thankfully) and because of that it felt closer to home than any other terror attack.

There was a story in the paper a while back that has haunted me ever since. It is so awful.

A doctor decided to surprise her lover with a visit. So she scaled a ladder to the roof, removed the chimney cap and slid down the flue of the property in California.

The lover obviously did not know about this (or maybe just ignored it - as he described the relationship as "on and off") and her decomposing body was found days later wedged inside the chimney of his home!

She was believed to have been stuck in the chimney for three days.

Can you imagine the sheer horror of that situation? To go down there as a bit of a lark and then find you are completely stuck and alone!

I am claustrophobic so this scenario is utterly unbearable to even think about.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 36
There are 3 that absolutely haunt me. I remember the Beslan School Siege https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beslan_school_siege going on and what those poor children and parents went through, how scared they must have been breaks my heart.

This is a girl I went to college with and I just don’t understand how her partner managed to go on I don’t think I could have https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....n-mcmullan-murder-pregnant-claire-2906152.amp

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....p/18/starved-boy-mummified-corpse-hamzah-khan this poor angel I can’t even comprehend how bad it would be to be one of the police officers who discovered him.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Probably Jessica & Holly.

I was about 9/10 at the time, so the same age as both of them. I was on holiday with my parents & younger sister in Mousehole, Cornwall. I remember it being all over the newss, radio and on the newspaper. I can picture a particular area of Mousehole anytime the story is mentioned. The story is awful and I think because I was the same age that's maybe why I remember is so well or where I was when the story broke anyway,

• Sad
Reactions: 10
I always wonder about the Claudia Lawrence disappearance. There seemed to be people who knew more but never came forward. Her poor family.

Reactions: 21
The story what happened in my city. A man killed his wife and 2 daughters. He told the police that they were missing. It turned out that he killed them a couple of days before and buried them somewhere. He did this because he was cheating on his wife with someone from Poland and she was going to visit him. This happened 15 years ago but I still remember.

I also still remember the Dutroux case. This was in Belgium. I was the same age as Julie and Melissa and saw the missing posters when we went on holiday in France.

Probably Jessica & Holly.

I was about 9/10 at the time, so the same age as both of them. I was on holiday with my parents & younger sister in Mousehole, Cornwall. I remember it being all over the newss, radio and on the newspaper. I can picture a particular area of Mousehole anytime the story is mentioned. The story is awful and I think because I was the same age that's maybe why I remember is so well or where I was when the story broke anyway,
Ive read the book that the parents of Holly wrote. It’s so sad. I remember them being missing also so well. I was 13 and in love with David Beckham. So I was buying English newspapers because he was in them a lot. So I saw all these stories about them also.

Reactions: 4
Jodie Jones. I used to drive through Dalkeith every Friday on the way to our caravan with my parents and every time we drove through it made me think of it.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Rachel Nickell's murder in 1992.

Michael Ryan in Hungerford was so shocking as mass shootings just don't happen here.

That sick f*ck Mick Philpott who killed his kids in a house fire. Seeing their little faces in a photo montage was so upsetting. They had their whole lives ahead of them and he killed them for the insurance money.

• Sad
Reactions: 19

This case is just disturbing. The video alone is disturbing. I'm still baffled how a woman, by herself got into the hotel water tank. Do not believe it one bit.

• Wow
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.