Where have all the manners gone??

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think it is how you are bought up and environment. I have done a few customer service jobs and have seen some lovely people and some horrors.
I opened three doors for a bloke on Saturday and didn't get a thanks once.

Reactions: 8
Interesting that bin wars are a common theme. I lived in flats where we all had our own wheelie bin for normal refuse and shared recycling. So many tenants could not read what the bins were for so were putting bagged or loose refuse in the recycling bins which of course would not be emptied. I spent hours sorting through rancid rubbish and clearing other peoples mess up. I can only imagine the state of it after I moved out.

Part of the issue is that people are either too lazy to ask or think the answer will be no, if they want to put their additional rubbish in your bin so they do it anyway and hope for the best.

Reactions: 6
What annoys me about our bin is the neighbour is filling it up before we have, if they tapped on the door and asked I would of said yes anyway if there's room, and I'm sure as they have young kids they could get additional bins from the council if they phoned them. It's the pure lack of manners that's gets me.

Reactions: 10
What is with people constantly chatting at work now? I was at a self-serve checkout the other day which was having a hissy-fit as they do, and the two ladies there who are meant to keep an eye on things were just chatting away with their backs to the registers. I just stood there, waiting to see how long it would take for them to notice that the self-serve wasn't working for me and do their job.

And they're just standing there. Chatting away. At least turn around and face the customers so you can go and help people when they need it!

I'd get hauled into the office and reprimanded if I had done that at my old retail job.
I hate when you hear staff moaning about work etc IN THE WORKPLACE

similar at a self serve checkout, most tills were occupied by customers and I heard the staff that was supervising the checkouts ask I presume manager if she could swap with Susan as she was completely fed up and had enough now and wanted to work on *wherever*

it makes me as a customer feel uncomfortable!

Last edited:
What annoys me about our bin is the neighbour is filling it up before we have, if they tapped on the door and asked I would of said yes anyway if there's room, and I'm sure as they have young kids they could get additional bins from the council if they phoned them. It's the pure lack of manners that's gets me.
Someone by me is renovating and keeps dumping their rubbish outside mine and the house next to me. It’s tip rubbish, they’re obviously too tight to rent a skip and know it’s wrong otherwise they’d leave it outside their own property. I think I know who it is so if they leave anymore I’ll put it back outside theirs. The binmen are collecting it each week which is annoying because they left my bin one week as it was too heavy but these fuckers are leaving a house’s worth of pipes, tiles, wardrobes, radiators etc. and getting it taken no bother!

• Angry
  • Wow
Someone by me is renovating and keeps dumping their rubbish outside mine and the house next to me. It’s tip rubbish, they’re obviously too tight to rent a skip and know it’s wrong otherwise they’d leave it outside their own property. I think I know who it is so if they leave anymore I’ll put it back outside theirs. The binmen are collecting it each week which is annoying because they left my bin one week as it was too heavy but these fuckers are leaving a house’s worth of pipes, tiles, wardrobes, radiators etc. and getting it taken no bother!
It's infuriating isn't it?, our bin men are really fussy they search through bins to make sure it has right stuff in it and if they find a plastic bag in the recycling they won't take the whole bin. Maybe they are getting a few quid from the people dumping the rubbish to take it away 🤔

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I get a lot of "Miss, do you have a pencil / rubber / something extremely basic I should definitely have with me".

I absolutely LOVE saying "Yes thanks" and carrying on with what I'm doing. It takes some kids a frighteningly long time to work out the problem with their question.

It makes my bloody day when I get a polite "Excuse me miss, could I please borrow a pencil" first time. I hate to say it but it's the exception rather than the rule these days sadly.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I was listening to talkback on the radio before, while cleaning the kitchen.

There is a guy who does weeknights who seems to be a bit Jekyll and Hyde-ish in nature. Some nights, he starts (at 8pm) with a hiss and a roar and is entertaining; on other nights, he sounds like he should be somewhere else (or rather wishes he was somewhere else). As the night goes on - he works until midnight - he loses interest in the callers and can be quite rude.

I was in the kitchen at 9pm and every person who called in while I was listening (about 10 or so), would say, "Gidday X, how are you?" to which he'd either say, "Good," "Yeah," or let out a yawn or sigh ... a bit rude really (doesn't take much to say, "Good thanks Bob; how are you?") but then after a few calls when someone asked there was a very awkward pause. I thought my radio had cut out so I started fiddling with the knob, only for him to nastily shout, "Why do you people call me and the first thing you ask is how I am? It's boring. I'm bored. You're boring. I'm sick of it. Say whatever you have to say and make sure you're on topic." I couldn't believe it! The caller sounded a bit taken aback but then carried on with what they were going to say.

I appreciate it must be hard to sit there and talk for four hours, but he has a lot of breaks during that time (news and weather, advertisements ...), plus I'm sure he's not up at 6am to get to another job (so over-tired), so there really isn't an excuse for the rudeness. Perhaps he needs to pass his mic to someone who wants to do that job.

• Wow
Reactions: 12
I hate when you hear staff moaning about work etc IN THE WORKPLACE

similar at a self serve checkout, most tills were occupied by customers and I heard the staff that was supervising the checkouts ask I presume manager if she could swap with Susan as she was completely fed up and had enough now and wanted to work on *wherever*

it makes me as a customer feel uncomfortable!
I was approaching a check out one day where a woman (working in the shop) was holding forth in a loud voice about how much she hated customers and what a nuisance they were. 😳
She switched on a smile and greeted me quite pleasantly at the till. Strange experience.

• Wow
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
What is with people constantly chatting at work now?
So glad someone else has noticed this! I was at the Aldi checkout recently and the young girl serving was having a full on, top of her lungs shouting conversation with a girl working on the checkout behind her across 2 rows of customers waiting. (Probably why she also had to talk so loud as they weren’t that close together!) Talking about some boy and college and how to do something with the online rota so that you don’t have to work Saturdays. Didn’t say a word to me the whole time. Felt like I was in their way, ruining their conversation 🥴 This happens a fair bit too across various places. I just can’t believe they’re allowed to do it as when I worked in retail we were NEVER allowed to talk to each other. Also when I worked in an office setting we weren’t allowed to talk about things not related to work very much before the boss would step in or call us and be like “I can hear you from my side or the room, if you can talk you’re not working hard enough” 😂

I also find trying to shop inside actual supermarkets now the workers that are picking the online orders block the aisles with their cart things, zoom past you and you have to constantly step out their way/around them 🤷‍♀️ Sorry that I exist… I’ll just grab my items and scuttle out…

Reactions: 16
So glad someone else has noticed this! I was at the Aldi checkout recently and the young girl serving was having a full on, top of her lungs shouting conversation with a girl working on the checkout behind her across 2 rows of customers waiting. (Probably why she also had to talk so loud as they weren’t that close together!) Talking about some boy and college and how to do something with the online rota so that you don’t have to work Saturdays. Didn’t say a word to me the whole time. Felt like I was in their way, ruining their conversation 🥴 This happens a fair bit too across various places. I just can’t believe they’re allowed to do it as when I worked in retail we were NEVER allowed to talk to each other. Also when I worked in an office setting we weren’t allowed to talk about things not related to work very much before the boss would step in or call us and be like “I can hear you from my side or the room, if you can talk you’re not working hard enough” 😂

I also find trying to shop inside actual supermarkets now the workers that are picking the online orders block the aisles with their cart things, zoom past you and you have to constantly step out their way/around them 🤷‍♀️ Sorry that I exist… I’ll just grab my items and scuttle out…
I work as a picker and I try not to do this (I definitely don't block the aisle horizontally). We have to put the carts somewhere though, same as customers with a trolley 🤷‍♀️

I was in Aldi one evening and the cashier was on her phone while dealing with customers, on what was quite clearly a personal call.
I was more than a bit surprised tbh. I think my eyes 👀 gave me away because she paused very briefly to greet me and then briefly again to ask cash or card.

• Wow
  • Sad
I work as a picker and I try not to do this (I definitely don't block the aisle horizontally). We have to put the carts somewhere though, same as customers with a trolley 🤷‍♀️
Oh I’m sure it’s not everyone at all! It’s just a bad system, especially in our local stores as the aisles are so small, it just doesn’t work. Most of the pickers are teenagers too and they all huddle together with the carts and chat to each other. I think it’s a management issue for not seeing the issue and resolving it. The same with the employees talking all the time. No one seems to want to step in and correct bad service or experiences for customers. But on the other hand some customers are horrendous to deal with too. We just seem to have lost our balance of manners and consideration for others in society somewhere along the road.

Im sick of people making excuses for rude old people I don't care about age if you're rude you're rude and in my experience many old people are. Irritates me the entitled attitude of them 🙈😂

Also can't deal with rude dog owners I love dogs but owners can be awful. Quite often the little ones. A little dog tried to bite my childs leg the other day he did nothing to the dog avoided it as he has additional needs and currently thinks dogs are monsters. Not even a sorry

• Sad
I was at the shop today and there was an elderly lady and man, might have been siblings perhaps as they were together but separate trolleys and groceries and she would not stop being rude to him! "Oh George, you're too slow, I'll pack! Oh George I need my trolley, what are you doing? You've got to pay NOW george" complete with snatching the money out of his hands and handing it over. And the thing is that she was so busy rushing and being rude that she messed up paying for her own groceries and got cranky.

Why do people have to be so rude like that by try and brush it off like it's some good deed. Oh, I helped him pack and pay for his groceries. You know how slow he is!"

Poor George seemed fine to me!

• Sad
100% people are more demanding, less flexible, and more self absorbed than pre COVID.

I'm a veterinary nurse and our clients can be so rude. For example we can't fit their dog in for a booster that afternoon, be more organised. You wouldn't ring up the dentist and expect a check up that day.

Actually, the worst is clients who don't plan properly for taking their pets to Europe, ring us a week before they leave and then blame us that they've left it too late to arrange. Oh yeh sorry about that, we should be fully aware of the travel plans of all of clients and ring them to tell them to come in 🤦🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 14
One of the reasons I hate old people so much is because of their unacceptable manners at the supermarket & the banks mostly. They expect to be served first because they are old and claim they are ''busy''. witch I have a job and a family what do you gοt? and old age pension? You can wait for your turn. People then accuse me of ageism but idfc.

• Haha
One of the reasons I hate old people so much is because of their unacceptable manners at the supermarket & the banks mostly. They expect to be served first because they are old and claim they are ''busy''. witch I have a job and a family what do you gοt? and old age pension? You can wait for your turn. People then accuse me of ageism but idfc.
If this is a example of you for real I would hate to meet the OAP you 😂

• Haha