What are the worst presents you've received?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
From my sister-in-law. One of those fake bamboo freebie calendars from a Chinese takeaway, the ones with the adverts for local businesses on the bottom 😏

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
My sister once got me a pair of PJs in a size medium. I'm an XS so these were swimming on me, when I queried it she said she got medium because "you're tall" (I'm not)

• Haha
Reactions: 6
My lovely dear old dad is in the beginning stages of dementia. Last Christmas he was all pleased with himself cause he went into town to buy my present. What he gave me was this giant box of Lush bath bombs, soaps etc. He kept repeating ‘because I know you really like lush!’ (I’ve never mentioned lush once and I hate bath bombs specially the feckin glitter ones 😫) I pretended I was really delighted but I was actually upset because I found out he’d spend about £75 in there and I felt so guilty! Anyway, it smelled like a brothel in my spare room for weeks. I was practically giving them away to the postman just to get rid of them 😂😂

Also, I have unfortunately been the bearer of bad gifts. When I was about 14 I had a boyfriend at school and when it was coming up to Christmas he kept banging on about Bathing Ape shoes and I think I may have said I would get them. But then I saw that you could sponsor a donkey for a village in Africa through Oxfam and I got him that. We met up and when he opened the card he said ‘you got me a card? Of a donkey?!’ 😂🤭 Whoops!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
A tub of Peanut Butter from a a friend's friend, despite being told hundred times I am allergic to it. This even after the time my she made me a sandwich and I had due to the allergic reaction and my lips swell up like a baboon's ardehole.

A Newcastle United football shirt, despite being a Sunderland fan.

• Wow
  • Haha
Also, I have unfortunately been the bearer of bad gifts. When I was about 14 I had a boyfriend at school and when it was coming up to Christmas he kept banging on about Bathing Ape shoes and I think I may have said I would get them. But then I saw that you could sponsor a donkey for a village in Africa through Oxfam and I got him that. We met up and when he opened the card he said ‘you got me a card? Of a donkey?!’ 😂🤭 Whoops!
Toilet Twinning is a great gift for the person who has everything... I got one for my Mom one year! You buy a toilet for some people in a poor country (you can choose which or do it randomly) and get a certificate to hang in your bathroom, with co-ordinates so you can look up your toilet on Google Earth... it's a great balance of being silly/funny but also helping people.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Toilet Twinning is a great gift for the person who has everything... I got one for my Mom one year! You buy a toilet for some people in a poor country (you can choose which or do it randomly) and get a certificate to hang in your bathroom, with co-ordinates so you can look up your toilet on Google Earth... it's a great balance of being silly/funny but also helping people.
This is a lovely idea. I’m going to get one for myself!

Reactions: 2
All my Christmas gift problems have been solved this year, I know just what to buy everyone!

2020-11-25 12.18.17.jpg

Yours for only £130. 😁

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
One Christmas I was gifted nothing but loungewear from my ex. Also the same ex ran out the morning of my birthday and gifted me a wok and a chopping board loving wrapped in a plastic bag. Don’t think I’ve ever gotten over it 😂

• Wow
  • Haha
One year my current partner and I had made an agreement not to buy proper gifts and just get a couple “little” things. I got him; jeans, couple hoodies, new shaver and clippers, pair of Adidas sambas which he loves, some after shave etc. Just wee bits n bobs.

I gave him this and he was sweating giving me mine... a box of Lush bath bombs, a SLINKY and a joke gift of a wee bell... for him to ring for me to make him cups of tea. (This was 100% a prank gift. He’s not a pig!)

He was absolutely mortified. I was a bit hurt and confused but tried to hide it. He took me out to shop the sales, dinner etc. Even now he cringes and get all red if that bell and slinky gift comes up.

I find it quite funny now and I guess he just had different ideas of “a couple small” gifts.

A bloody tea bell 🙄🙄🙈

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
One year my current partner and I had made an agreement not to buy proper gifts and just get a couple “little” things. I got him; jeans, couple hoodies, new shaver and clippers, pair of Adidas sambas which he loves, some after shave etc. Just wee bits n bobs.

I gave him this and he was sweating giving me mine... a box of Lush bath bombs, a SLINKY and a joke gift of a wee bell... for him to ring for me to make him cups of tea. (This was 100% a prank gift. He’s not a pig!)

He was absolutely mortified. I was a bit hurt and confused but tried to hide it. He took me out to shop the sales, dinner etc. Even now he cringes and get all red if that bell and slinky gift comes up.

I find it quite funny now and I guess he just had different ideas of “a couple small” gifts.

A bloody tea bell 🙄🙄🙈
So what’s a big gift in your eyes then. I think in this case you made him look bad

Reactions: 30
So what’s a big gift in your eyes then. I think in this case you made him look bad

A bloody tea bell 🙄🙄🙈

Like the above poster I would also love to know what you'd buy each other normally, your idea of a few small gifts is more than me and my partner would do generally 🤣🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Like the above poster I would also love to know what you'd buy each other normally, your idea of a few small gifts is more than me and my partner would do generally 🤣🤣
Me too! They are the big gifts!

I did laugh at the tea bell though, my nan kindly gave me a similar bell for when I was poorly and I could summon her from my sick bed upstairs for Lucozade and ice cream.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Me too! They are the big gifts!

I did laugh at the tea bell though, my nan kindly gave me a similar bell for when I was poorly and I could summon her from my sick bed upstairs for Lucozade and ice cream.
Nans are the best - i would have enjoyed a sick bell too!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Not me, but I do remember at a workplace not-so-Secret Santa (you knew who you were buying for), one guy got a dirty pair of knickers which wasn't funny at all. The team administrator kept the list of who was buying for who, so was able to find the culprit quite swiftly. They were issued with a written warning.

My worst gift was also my best - another Secret Santa. I worked in a super-hot office where the air conditioning just did not work no matter how many times the guys came in to fix it. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a USB-powered desk fan but when I plugged it in it sparked, causing me to get a fright and spill my hot coffee all over myself. I was in agony for days.

• Wow
Every year we get each other the same thing:

We always (except this year) go away for a weekend break in December for the Christmas markets. Berlin, Munich, Seville, London etc. The most expensive was NYC one year. We just 1/2 the cost and this is our Xmas to each other.

That year was our first xmas together and we didn’t go away but have every other time. This year we obv can’t get away 😭😭 so he has bought me a pair of Doc Martins I had my eye on and got a good discount on. I’m getting him a new pc monitor.

So no, my idea of a big gift isn’t anything insane like designer bags or jewellery 😂

Reactions: 3
I did Secret Santa two years ago and made a real effort and in fairness actually everyone got really lovely thoughtful gifts. The person who bought for me just got me a Lynx set so when everyone was going around the office asking people what they got I had to keep showing them the Lynx set. It was so embarassing.

• Sad
  • Haha
This thread is brilliant!

In-laws got us a hamper one Christmas. It hasn't been kept in the fridge so the cheese had gone mouldy. When I opened the jam it was also mouldy (it was homemade by someone..god knows who!) Just a really tit hamper which I binned. We had bought them really lovely gifts, how they weren't embarrassed I don't know!

• Wow