What are the worst presents you've received?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
At work I received a massage gift card. I had it for a while and called the place to see if they expire and she said no. So I made the appointment and had my massage. When I gave them the gift card they said it had already been used....by the person who gave it to me.
That is so bad....but so good. Did you have to,pay in the end? I hope you said something to the gift giver 😂

Reactions: 7
That is so bad....but so good. Did you have to,pay in the end? I hope you said something to the gift giver 😂
Yes I had to pay, it was super awkward because the girl didn't know what to do. I never said anything to the lady that gave me the gift card but I should have. Technically she stole from the company since they gave her that money to buy me the card.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
Yes I had to pay, it was super awkward because the girl didn't know what to do. I never said anything to the lady that gave me the gift card but I should have. Technically she stole from the company since they gave her that money to buy me the card.
Some people really have no scruples do they. That’s shocking.

Reactions: 11
A guy I had a long distance relationship with for Christmas gave me brown socks his mum had knitted and a man's dressing gown (I maybe tall with long arms, but it was hideous)!

My mum once bought me a watch like she would wear, sort a grandmother would wear back in the '80s! She said I could return it if I hated it, which I did. Every year since she's wanted to buy me a new watch (I have not worn one in over 10 years).

• Haha
Reactions: 4
My aunt once gave my sister a long strip of velvet material. No tag or anything just a strip of material. It’s been years and we are still unclear what it was!

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Worst present i received from a ex (boyfriend at the time) for my birthday i got a sex position book! Obviously it would come and handy in years to come but i was 17 at the time 😳

• Haha
Reactions: 2
One mango for my birthday, wrapped. He made me sit on my knees in front of the table and close my eyes for the big reveal when he presented it. He genuinely thought I'd love it since I once mentioned I liked mango. He had hyped me up all day to get ready for the best present ever. He's my ex.

Oh and a penis shaped lollipop from someone's grandfather I had never met before. In front of a bunch of people. I was not at an age that I knew much about penis... He thought it was hilarious. I was mortified 😅

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
A trip to a tomato farm in Iceland. Iceland wasn't the present just to clarify, I paid for this out of my own money but the tomato farm was my birthday gift 🤦‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 13
My boyfriend at the time back in 2010 said he got me a present, it weren't my birthday or anything special but I was excited wondering what he got me which was in his coat pocket...imagining jewellery etc.
He took out half of a broken pedal bike light 😄 The reflector plastic cover was missing and it was open so the two batteries was showing. He said he thought I find it useful.

The same boyfriend another time gifted me two home grown cucumbers from his friends garden..both separate occasions so a cucumber one time and another months later . 😄

• Haha
  • Sick
For a wedding gift, my husband's 8 friends from his school days bought us each an identical cheap, basic, Asda toaster. So we got 8 white crap toasters. They thought it was hilarious.

Also for our wedding my husband's uni friends (see a theme here?!) clubbed together to get us a kitchen utensil set. 7 of them chipped in for 5 kitchen utensils.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
When I was a kid my friend had a crazy mother whole other topic though but anyway for presents she would go around the house and give u literally anything she didn’t want when I was about 10 for my birthday I got used lipstick pair of fluffy socks they were out of the packet so most likely pre worn 🤢 and a few hair bands it wasn’t like they couldn’t afford gifts she just wasn’t bothered to go and buy something one year I got a plant like she literally pulled it out of her garden and gave it to me I was like 9!!!😂

• Haha
  • Wow
A present I never got but my mother’s friend’s children did. My mother brought lots of Oreos
from the US when she came to visit me. They were not available here at that time. However, I wasn’t given any as she said they were for her friend’s children. I was gutted.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
A present I never got but my mother’s friend’s children did. My mother brought lots of Oreos
from the US when she came to visit me. They were not available here at that time. However, I wasn’t given any as she said they were for her friend’s children. I was gutted.
That is really crappy. I would have been gutted too.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
A family friend bought me one of these a few years ago. It’s the most hideous thing you’ll ever see. I had to open it in front of this person and wow that was an Oscar winning performance if I do say so myself. The hardest work I’ve ever done was trying to look excited and grateful without pissing myself laughing.

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 17
For a birthday present, my colleagues, who must have thought I was a bit punk or goth (maybe had been 20 years ago at the time!) bought a burgundy red plastic chandelier, with dangling “jewels”. It was hideous! I had to pretend to like it 😳

Reactions: 3
Always the MIL isn’t it. Mine is legendary at giving me the worst presents ever.

It’s always the same tat from the charity shop with no box or labels
Candles
Unknown Perfume
Scarfs
Socks
Blankets
Even clothes

Last year for our wedding anniversary we got a pig money bank. I’m not kidding you. A pink with colour dotted pig. Clearly for a child first penny’s. Kept it in the cupboard, chucked it after a few months. Most things go in the bin now, I don’t even bother keeping it for a while out of politeness

She’s regifted too. A bath set she received from our cousin who works for this company. She then went: you like your gift? I just gave her a smug look.

I’m not giving to receive either but the last couple of years I’ve really stopped making an effort myself. They all per couple get £25 worth of M&S vouchers. That way they can buy what they want and I’ve spend £12.50 per person. Oh and a cheap box of chocolates or Biscuits from Poundland. So they can actually unwrap something.

My husband always gets liverpool tat. Like a calendar or dvd that stays in the wrapper Years later. Who still watches dvds 🤣🤣 And I’ll be dammed to have a crap looking liverpool calendar in my pretty white kitchen. Get the duck out

Phew feels better to have a rant 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 6
A very good friend of mine was asked by his sister for cash rather than a gift for Xmas she did the same with her other 3 siblings and her father. Whilst sitting at the table on Xmas day she announced to the entire family that her and her partner had given all their money to charity he was fuming 😤 He said that if he’d known that’s what she was going to do he wouldn’t have given it to her as he felt if he was going to donate money it should of been his choice. What do you think?

Reactions: 1
A very good friend of mine was asked by his sister for cash rather than a gift for Xmas she did the same with her other 3 siblings and her father. Whilst sitting at the table on Xmas day she announced to the entire family that her and her partner had given all their money to charity he was fuming 😤 He said that if he’d known that’s what she was going to do he wouldn’t have given it to her as he felt if he was going to donate money it should of been his choice. What do you think?
I think if you give someone money as a gift they can do what they want with it 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Reactions: 10