West End Gossip #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yeah, I found the leads quite wooden too. Enjoyable but flat
A better production was at the ENO in 2017. Katherine Jenkins and Alfie Bo were the leads and Nicholas Lyndhurst played the Starkeeper. The setting was brought forward to the 1940s and it worked really well. It was "semi staged" but much better done than the 2008 travesty. Only Alfie reallllly not being an actor was a weak point.

Reactions: 1
A better production was at the ENO in 2017. Katherine Jenkins and Alfie Bo were the leads and Nicholas Lyndhurst played the Starkeeper. The setting was brought forward to the 1940s and it worked really well. It was "semi staged" but much better done than the 2008 travesty. Only Alfie reallllly not being an actor was a weak point.
I can't stand Katherine or Alfie so I avoided that haha. But glad it was good, sounds interesting. It is a show that doesn't necessarily have to stay in its original time and setting.

I hope a major revival comes alone that hits the casting and staging

I can't stand Katherine or Alfie so I avoided that haha. But glad it was good, sounds interesting. It is a show that doesn't necessarily have to stay in its original time and setting.

I hope a major revival comes alone that hits the casting and staging
Katherine was surprisingly good, I thought. I was skeptical when she was cast but I liked her. Otherwise I don't really follow her career. I just love that musical, flaws and all. The score is the dreamiest ever.

I'd love to see a reivial that really tries to turn the book on its head. Not sure what they could do but something. It would be fascinating to see if a musical where the message just really isn't welcome can be salvaged in that respect.

Reactions: 2
Katherine was surprisingly good, I thought. I was skeptical when she was cast but I liked her. Otherwise I don't really follow her career. I just love that musical, flaws and all. The score is the dreamiest ever.

I'd love to see a reivial that really tries to turn the book on its head. Not sure what they could do but something. It would be fascinating to see if a musical where the message just really isn't welcome can be salvaged in that respect.
I didn't see it, but the Open Air theatre did a reworking of it a couple years ago

I didn't see it, but the Open Air theatre did a reworking of it a couple years ago
I saw it; it was fine. The score is beyond beautiful as ever, but the script just doesn’t stand up to today’s recognition of toxic relationships, domestic violence and misogyny. The central idea of a slap feeling like a kiss just can’t be avoided…

In a similar vein, I recently saw Sister Act. In the first production, the song where the guy is listing all the ways he’s going to hurt Dolores when he finds her was genuinely funny and clever as a send up of the genre of those smooth love songs. This time around, it was huuuugely uncomfortable. Some of that is because Lemar is almost entirely charmless as an actor, but also because times have moved on and a song celebrating extreme violence against women just doesn’t land well.

Reactions: 3
I saw it; it was fine. The score is beyond beautiful as ever, but the script just doesn’t stand up to today’s recognition of toxic relationships, domestic violence and misogyny. The central idea of a slap feeling like a kiss just can’t be avoided…

In a similar vein, I recently saw Sister Act. In the first production, the song where the guy is listing all the ways he’s going to hurt Dolores when he finds her was genuinely funny and clever as a send up of the genre of those smooth love songs. This time around, it was huuuugely uncomfortable. Some of that is because Lemar is almost entirely charmless as an actor, but also because times have moved on and a song celebrating extreme violence against women just doesn’t land well.
True, although I think Carousel is still very timely for that reason. Victims of domestic abuse do see it as a sign of love sometimes. It's a tricky show to adapt to show the reality of the story and victim, but not romanticise it so much. It could probably do with some slight book alternations

Here's a radical thought.. lets see some new and innovative work both plays and musicals. I have seen some fantastic new small musicals at the likes of Southwark Playhouse that would be so cheap to mount that ppl could actually have affordable ticket prices and therefor take a punt on something you may not enjoy
I agree, I’ve seen some brilliant new musicals at the Union and Wimbledon as well, they both have original work there and I often prefer them although they definitely are lower budget, but I guess people have to start small

Well.
My fiance and I are currently having a picnic in a park and the whole cast and swings of SiX are having a picnic next to us, as it’s one of the Queen’s birthdays and it’s very obvious - they’re sitting in a tight knit circle, sharing food etc and are celebrating. A whole gaggle of girls literally crashed the celebration. My fiance and I are just sitting with our mouths open.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
Hi everyone
I know this isn't West End news but has anyone seen that Sarah Brightman is coming back to musical theatre after 3 decades to play Norma in the Australian version of Sunset Boulevard.
I do love Sarah but she is getting good reviews so far! She is my favourite vocal (not acting) Christine.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Hi everyone
I know this isn't West End news but has anyone seen that Sarah Brightman is coming back to musical theatre after 3 decades to play Norma in the Australian version of Sunset Boulevard.
I do love Sarah but she is getting good reviews so far! She is my favourite vocal (not acting) Christine.
I wish this would come to the UK. The production set and costumes look perfect and I'd love to see Sarah. She never seems to perform in thr UK anymore.

They get Sarah, we got an ex pussycat doll lol

• Haha
Hi everyone
I asked a friend what she thought of Sarah when she saw it the other day and she said ‘go on a Tuesday, for the love of god’ (when the alternate is on). 😬 Hopefully she’ll settle into it though.

Hi everyone
Holy crap, that is very cool.

I've not seen her acting but vocally she is still my favourite Christine, I love listening to the OLC Phantom album so much.
---
I asked a friend what she thought of Sarah when she saw it the other day and she said ‘go on a Tuesday, for the love of god’ (when the alternate is on). 😬 Hopefully she’ll settle into it though.
Oaf, maybe not as cool as I thought then? Maybe she'll improve, early days and she's been away a long time?

Holy crap, that is very cool.

I've not seen her acting but vocally she is still my favourite Christine, I love listening to the OLC Phantom album so much.
---

Oaf, maybe not as cool as I thought then? Maybe she'll improve, early days and she's been away a long time?
I have a Saturday night show booked for next month so I’m really hoping I enjoy it!

Put this in the general celeb thread, but relevant here. Just wow...

• Sick
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
Anyone with a VPN i highly recommend Purlie Victorious on PBS Great Performances - free until June . A recent acclaimed Brodway show starring Leslie Odom jnr.

Watched it last night and found it very funny
---
Well.
My fiance and I are currently having a picnic in a park and the whole cast and swings of SiX are having a picnic next to us, as it’s one of the Queen’s birthdays and it’s very obvious - they’re sitting in a tight knit circle, sharing food etc and are celebrating. A whole gaggle of girls literally crashed the celebration. My fiance and I are just sitting with our mouths open.
ooh shame i didnt see this at the time Id have asked you to say Hi to my mate Kayleigh for me hahah

It’s like every school show I’ve had to sit through.

Apart from, you know, the inclusion of Nathan Lane, Jeremy Irons and an audience of 17,000.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
OMG Hey! Too late for me to get into London but if anyone wants to take one for the team someone is offering their Premium seat for Mickey Jo Theatre tonight for free on IG

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 7
Do you think they'll be a Norma Desmond style dramatic moment when the spotlight hits him?

• Haha

I try very hard not to hate anyone. There's enough of that in the world and it's a destructive emotion that does no good in the slighest to anyone...

But oh my God, I really hate the Kardashians. With the fire of a hundred million suns. Not North as she's just a kid but the adults in the clan.

Reactions: 8
I try very hard not to hate anyone. There's enough of that in the world and it's a destructive emotion that does no good in the slighest to anyone...

But oh my God, I really hate the Kardashians. With the fire of a hundred million suns. Not North as she's just a kid but the adults in the clan.
Sorry but I hate North along with the rest of them. This spoilt and arrogant at 10, there is no way she’ll grow up to be anything else.