West End Gossip #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Our local is Trafalgar Group now too, council owned theatre, run by them. The touring productions have gone up from around £30 a ticket to £50 a ticket, and no lower rates for the weekday performances where there is no way it'll sell out. The Panto is outregeous (especially for the poor quality it was last time I saw it!)
I have a blue light card and I can get discounts at ATG theatres for touring shows but it’s always the middle of the week. Tend to get decent stalls for £30ish with that….the original price is nearer to £50 though.

Reactions: 2
Anyone here interested in Broadway goings on and or do we have a board for that?

Just me over here screaming into the void and ranting today hahah
I'm also into Broadway, no idea if there's a separate thread however.

Reactions: 3
I don't see why it couldn't be broadway too. Tours get mentioned sometimes. Probably more of a general theatre thread

Reactions: 6
I'm amazed at the price of those tickets for strictly (£130 another poster said)

We saw it a few years back and the tickets weren't that bad. At that point £50 - which wasn't bad compared to Glasgow tickets

But prices have went bananas for all shows.

Me and the old dear are going to a motown show tonight at the Glasgow Pavilion. Saw it about 18 months ago - prices £32 for an adult - £30 for a pensioner.

Tonight - £39.25 each!!! I didn't realise until I'd pressed pay!!!

The Glasgow Pavilion used to be a very competitively priced night out. Tickets were rarely over £30. Definitely not near £40. Since its changed ownership to the Trafalgar group, the prices have went though the roof. You're lucky if you can find a ticket under £35.

Even their panto tickets are shocking. The tickets used to be cheaper with lots of 2-4-1 deals. And that's what worries me. Generations of theatre goers start by going to the panto. If they're priced out the panto how will kids experience live theatre???
I’ve been going to the Edinburgh panto every year since I was 4, and my mum has been going every year since she was the same age. My grandparents used to pay for all of us (12 in total with cousins) to go. Now I pay for myself now that I’m late 20s 😂 but my mum wants to take us all (7) is year as my niece and nephew are finally old enough to go. My parents can afford it, but the price of how much it’ll cost is making me 😬😬😬😬

I have a blue light card and I can get discounts at ATG theatres for touring shows but it’s always the middle of the week. Tend to get decent stalls for £30ish with that….the original price is nearer to £50 though.
I've got the access membership for ATG because of my mum (87, frail, memory like a sieve - we can't go to plays or comedies any more cos she can't follow the storyline)

The deals are brilliant. I got 2 tickets for the Drifters Girl for £25. 2 tickets for Aladdin are £65 - which very good for a Disney musical.

And I do apologise. I think its me that drags this thread away from West End theatre.

Reactions: 1
I've got the access membership for ATG because of my mum (87, frail, memory like a sieve - we can't go to plays or comedies any more cos she can't follow the storyline)

The deals are brilliant. I got 2 tickets for the Drifters Girl for £25. 2 tickets for Aladdin are £65 - which very good for a Disney musical.

And I do apologise. I think its me that drags this thread away from West End theatre.
How do you do that? As my friend has signed up for their access scheme and when she logs in it gives an option to buy a single ticket for a tenner off.

Anyone seen the news about the Bonnie and Clyde tour being suddenly cancelled? It's been announced today.

Posters on TheatreBoard are saying it's a repeat of the Cinderella closing, with current and future cast members finding out via social media at the same time as everyone else, and apparently the current cast were waiting at the next venue wondering why nothing else was arriving!

• Wow
Reactions: 13
Anyone seen the news about the Bonnie and Clyde tour being suddenly cancelled? It's been announced today.

Posters on TheatreBoard are saying it's a repeat of the Cinderella closing, with current and future cast members finding out via social media at the same time as everyone else, and apparently the current cast were waiting at the next venue wondering why nothing else was arriving!
I’ve just seen this - ouch!! Surprised as it seemed to have a cult following at the West end! Apparently it’s due to poor ticket sales!

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Oooft. I saw B&C recently because I got a cheap ticket for a midweek matinee. I really enjoyed it, and thought the cast were great, so I’m disappointed for them. Audience was pretty full when I was there but not sure how much that was down to seat filling sites/discounted group tickets. Such a shame.

Reactions: 4
Seen a few comments on theatreboard and Twitter that the next cast that were due to start in a few months found out via the What’s On Stage article - it definitely is just like Bad Cinderella if that’s true

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I’ve just seen this - ouch!! Surprised as it seemed to have a cult following at the West end! Apparently it’s due to poor ticket sales!
Yeah I was booked to see it in a few months time and it hadn't really sold at all at my local venue! I was surprised too as there was so much hype over it.

• Sad

WTF!! That's appalling - I wonder why they cancelled?
---
Seen a few comments on theatreboard and Twitter that the next cast that were due to start in a few months found out via the What’s On Stage article - it definitely is just like Bad Cinderella if that’s true
It's cruel to the cast members, they should find out before the bloody press!

• Sad
WTF!! That's appalling - I wonder why they cancelled?
---

It's cruel to the cast members, they should find out before the bloody press!
Whatsonstage have quoted a statement from the producers blaming 'disappointing ticket sales', which does seem to be true based on what people who have been are saying.

• Sad
Coincidence with the announcement of the streaming of the Bonnie and Clyde pro-shoot last week?

The cast and creative are all technically employees, it’s awful for them to hear about it via social media 🙄

• Sad
How do you do that? As my friend has signed up for their access scheme and when she logs in it gives an option to buy a single ticket for a tenner off.
I've no idea - I've attached a screenshot of when I try to buy tickets for a show

Maybe she needs to speak to them to find out why
Screenshot_20240521_201052_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: 1
I think the point mainly for access schemes the companion ticket is free? So many theatres do it differently and it can also change by show. It’s not always the venues that govern prices, it’s the production companies of the shows too.
---
Also the access scheme asks you whether you need a free essential companion (ie you need help with food, drink, toilet) or if you’re more able generally but still a wheelchair user, then you can have a companion but at reduced price. All of that is in the application form. It’s a long old process to apply for this. My OH said it felt as long as applying for PIP 🤣

I just can't believe the Bonnie & Clyde situation and that it keeps happening. I feel awful for all involved, especially the crew who were waiting at the venue to get started only to find out that was that.

There really has to be more effort made to ensure cast and crew of shows are treated better than this, it's pretty appalling and just shouldn't happen.

• Sad
Reactions: 10