Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

simonsays

Oh, I remember that stage. There was a noticeable change after a while following it - the most spectacular binge in the history of binges (and I had never had that response triggered in me in all my life before that moment).

There's a reason why Japanese style diets are so successful in maintaining a lower BMI - there's no cutting out entire food groups and it's normal to have sugar/sweetness in all meals.
Yes, you can use honey. I add a teaspoon to porridge in the morning. There is also a lot of sugar free chocolate around now. Apparently, stevia is the best sweetener. Some good quality sugar free dark chocolate from time to time is a nice treat!

simonsays

But honey is sugar - it's just sugar refined by bees instead of factories.

The only reason I don't eat cakes, sweets, biscuits or chocolate is that I don't like them. I certainly wouldn't be trying to find a substitute for the things, as I think they're horrible in the first place. Cutting out so many food groups, though - at the first accidental hint of natural sweetness, I binged on all the sugar in the shop - is asking for dysfunctional eating patterns and/or a resounding collapse in response to something like the scent of some flowers or an accidentally sweeter strawberry than usual.
Honey is very different from refined white sugar. As someone else said, you are not cutting out any food groups. I now eat fish about twice a week for the protein and omega 3s, etc. The amount of sugar in food in the modern diet is excessive.. so limiting it in any way has to be a good thing in my book.

takhana

Try not to feel disheartened, Sven. It doesn't have to happen all at once (it shouldn't happen all at once) - increasing your muscle mass/strength first means that any fat loss happens slightly later on, rather than the saggy, deflating balloon effect I've always had from just not eating as much that makes a quick difference to measurements but does nothing to improve your health. And there's also the point that fat loss isn't just on the one bit you want it to be. Get into the habits and that makes it sustainable and the changes will come when you are too busy being active and healthy and happy to notice them.

I've got some more gym gear being delivered today at some point. Including some cycle shorts - not because I think they'll turn me into an IG Gym Bunny (laughs at the thought), but because they're going to be comfortable, cooler and are long enough to protect the softer bits of my legs from rubbing against one another. It might sound a bit weird, but there is something else to the purchases;

I've always just bought the cheapest thing that came in my size, so was generally in colours that I would never touch with a bargepole - even plain stuff seems to almost always come with pink and purple bits as though I can't be female and in a gym without them. This time, I've ordered stuff in 'my' colours (OK, what that actually means is green, dark green, forest green, dark army green, dark red....) to go with the other stuff I've got in the least offensive versions of black and with the smallest logos possible. In my head, that means I'm not putting on a costume to go and exercise, I'm me, putting on a specific variation of my normal clothes to do it, which means exercising/being healthier is also me. Trying to deliberately mess with my head, as it were.

Constipation - water, black coffee in the morning and abdominal work including stuff targeted at your obliques (so twisting, bending, stretching) and things to strengthen the muscles on your lower back (like laying on your stomach and lifting your upper half (Cobra yoga moves, for example) and lifting alternate legs and arms) to create a firm supporting girdle that helps things move along.

Fibre works because it provides bulk and something to absorb water. Without water, you just have more bulk sitting there and without muscles working, even with water, it all just sits there. And medicines can't work without water, something to move and muscles working.
If you don't mind me asking, what shorts did you order? I desperately need some longer shorts for running that won't ride up - trouble is I've got thick thighs that slim down around the top of my knees/bottom of my quads and at the very top of my legs (I've got a natural thigh gap even at 10lbs overweight) so anything I buy just ends up look like a pair of knickers on me.

I would like to connect on MFP how do we do it? You sound like me with the whole meal things and carbs. Baby weigh to shift.
My downfall is eating too many sweets and snacking during love Island or a film!
you can add people as friends! go to the “more” bit (bottom right) then friends and add (top right corner) and you can find people via email/username

edit: once you’re friends, always “complete your diary” once you’re done then you can see each others food!

Burrito88

VIP Member
Can anyone recommend some decent weighing scales? Mine are salter but a few years old and tend to stick on a weight for a few days (to the exact oz so I know it can’t be right??).

simonsays

I'm quite wary of anyone who suggests going gluten free if you're not coeliac. I've literally just done a 2 minute search for academic papers on this topic and there are multiple peer reviewed journals suggesting there are dangers to going gluten free if you're not coeliac and that healthcare practitioners should be asking patients why they're doing this if it isn't clinically indicated. Unfortunately I'm also sceptical of anyone who isn't actually a dietitian because 'nutritionist' is not a protected term and the qualifications of many who call themselves a 'nutritionist' are dubious.
Well, in 2 mins of searching online I found a good number of research papers that show a link between gluten free adherence and a healthier life.

"After adjustments on confounders, a healthy dietary pattern was positively associated with total gluten avoidance (ORQuintile5vsQuintile1 = 14·44, 95 % CI 8·62, 24·19). Our study highlighted that, in this population, individuals who avoid gluten from their diet tend to have a diet more favourable to health. These results can serve as a basis for future studies investigating the potential consequences of a gluten-free diet in non-coeliac population."

Lalalala1212

Hi -
I know it’s not the best nutritionally but has anyone had success with slimfast? I’m thinking of doing it for 2 or 3 weeks to kick start weight loss then counting cals and walking / weights for workouts. Thanks x

Lalalala1212

I bought some slimfast shakes last year but stuck to it for a few days, max. I’ve been calorie counting for six months now, it’s much more sustainable in my experience to eat 250 calories of food than 250ish calories in a shake, and you’ll kickstart the weight loss either way.
Thanks - can I ask how many cals a day you stick to? Just need something to kick myself into gear and thought if I see some results quickly I’ll be more motivated to continue.

Notworthy

VIP Member
Thanks, this is really interesting as I’ve previously (pre weight loss) had high blood pressure so it’s very unfamiliar to feel a bit woozy now! Might see if I can borrow a BP monitor, my mum has one I think. I will increase my salt slightly too 👍🏻 That’s what I was thinking, try 100 more a day this week, and see what the scales say.
If your current calorie deficit makes you feel awful it's definitely a good idea to up it, weightloss has to be sustainable long term.

Ahahha

Chatty Member
Does anyone else absolutely love pickled onions ? I’ve been using them as a snack instead of something like crisps of chocolate 😂 I’ve been buying these silver skin ones from Lidl and the jar is 40 cals for the whole thing. Might seem weird but it’s such a yummy snack and feels like you are eating a lot
might have to go to lidls for these

Lyndsaym

I have been so slack at reading here. Life has been so hard but I’m now swapping to night shifts.
does anyone else do them? Wondering what to take and how to work out cals? Like do I just restart the next day at midnight? Any ideas/tips would be amazing. I can’t wait to weigh in and just restart. Finish the year right.
I work night shifts, I tend to just count calories from midnight like you mentioned. That way it's less confusing when you go onto have days off etc.
For meals etc, I don't eat any different on night shift than I do if I was day shift or off. The only difference to me is meal times are usually backwards. I tend to have my "lunch" during the night and my breakfast before bed!

Anyone tried Team RH? Considering joining myself. I’m desperate at this point
[/ don’t bother with it - app doesn’t work and you can keep track on my fitness easier! I used it and
Anyone tried Team RH? Considering joining myself. I’m desperate at this point
it is useless - app doesn’t work most of the time and when you try to get out of it they are a nightmare to get hold of. Think a few others experienced the same thing - don’t waste your time with it

fireflies

VIP Member
Ahh glad the morning has started well for you! I'm taking my little girl on a lon walk into town today, tracking steps with a pushchair in an absolute nightmare, I'm thinking I'll need to buy a traditional pedometer!
I use my Samsung phone and regularly push a buggy . Use Samsung health app.
Only managed 6 k steps yesterday as was so hot.
Really want be productive around the house today as its a mess.