Weight Loss and Healthy Living #5 Tattlers Transformation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
OK bit weird one.i track calories burnt and steps on Samsung health app on phone.
I then sync with mfp.
I don't always eat my exercise cals that's on treat day.
Usually burn least 1500 cals a day.
Mfp has me on 1380 target but most days I go over some days slightly to 1500 but last few days honestly more like 1800.
I worked out tdee calculator maintainance 2010 so anything under i guess means I should not gain weight just not lose as quickly or as much.
Last 3 days scales been going downward even on 1700 to 1800.
Whats going on?
I am walking a fair number of steps but lots say they don't exercise cals.
I put my calories in from exercise manually on mfp from my Samsung active 2 watch.

Do you burn 1500 without moving or is that from exercise alone ?

OK bit weird one.i track calories burnt and steps on Samsung health app on phone.
I then sync with mfp.
I don't always eat my exercise cals that's on treat day.
Usually burn least 1500 cals a day.
Mfp has me on 1380 target but most days I go over some days slightly to 1500 but last few days honestly more like 1800.
I worked out tdee calculator maintainance 2010 so anything under i guess means I should not gain weight just not lose as quickly or as much.
Last 3 days scales been going downward even on 1700 to 1800.
Whats going on?
I am walking a fair number of steps but lots say they don't exercise cals.
first thing I’d suggest is disconnecting your tracker from MFP, that way there’s no confusion and the calories you have to eat daily are clear then.

if you’ve calculated your TDEE correctly and your maintenance is 2010 then you will lose weight by eating less calories than that, so yes at 1700/1800 calories you would lose weight.

never use MFP to work out your calories, it hasn’t got a clue! Always calculate your TDEE like you have done and go from there.

ETA: your TDEE includes your activity (exercise) so there’s no need to add this again in MFP or you’ll be duplicating calories and eating at maintenance or perhaps more

sorry, also ETA: fitness watches and trackers are usually very generous when it comes to calories burned during workouts so it’s hard to rely on them, that’s why increasing your NEAT is important.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
first thing I’d suggest is disconnecting your tracker from MFP, that way there’s no confusion and the calories you have to eat daily are clear then.

if you’ve calculated your TDEE correctly and your maintenance is 2010 then you will lose weight by eating less calories than that, so yes at 1700/1800 calories you would lose weight.

never use MFP to work out your calories, it hasn’t got a clue! Always calculate your TDEE like you have done and go from there.

ETA: your TDEE includes your activity (exercise) so there’s no need to add this again in MFP or you’ll be duplicating calories and eating at maintenance or perhaps more

sorry, also ETA: fitness watches and trackers are usually very generous when it comes to calories burned during workouts so it’s hard to rely on them, that’s why increasing your NEAT is important.
Exactly ! And if youre burning 300 from exercise + 200 to 300 less calories you'll lose a pound a week

20210505_144406.jpg

Can't believe it after losing nothing for a few days lost 1.5 pounds 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9

Thanks i get so confused as 500 below tdde is 1510.
My fitness pal has allocated me 1340 as keeps decreasing each 1lb I lose.
Also not entirely sure on tdee calculator i am sedentary i walk least 10k steps a day sometimes walk dog hour a day and burn average total for day 1500.
So mfp takes that 1500 as exercise.
The amount exercise I do each day varies.
So if I ate 1800 cals today and Samsung health says I burnt 1500 and tdde meant be 2010 would I be in enough deficit lose 1lb a week?

Reactions: 1
Also not entirely sure on tdee calculator i am sedentary i walk least 10k steps a day sometimes walk dog hour a day and burn average total for day 1500.
So if I ate 1800 cals today and Samsung health says I burnt 1500 and tdde meant be 2010 would I be in enough deficit lose 1lb a week?
Have you tried Nutracheck? I didn't get on with MFP but managing to lose with NutraCheck and way less confusing (for me)

I was always told it was a bit of trial and error and to always pick sedentary as fitbits etc over estimate exercise. However if you're eating at 1700 and losing weight then go for it. It might slow down a bit after a while and then you can readjust.

I never eat back my calories from exercise personally as I just don't trust it's tracked that accurately however it does give me a little bit of leeway if I've gone over on a different day.

--------

I'm so happy to be back at the gym, I do their workout of the day and it was skipping and weights yesterday and my tummy muscles are so sore don't even know why!

Cardio tonight, I'm trying to get back into couch to 5k. I was all the way up to week 5 before lockdown so I started week one recently and it was a bit too easy so going to maybe try midway through week 2 tonight.

ignore the calories MFP suggests for you, it puts almost everyone on 1200 or 1300 calories no matter who you are and calories that low will be unsustainable for the majority of us.

if you walk 10k steps a day then in the TDEE calculator I would suggest putting ‘Moderately Active’ as your activity level, even if you are sedentary at a desk job all day. If this gives you 2010 as your maintence then you can lose weight at anything below 2010. To lose 1lb a week you would set your calories at 1510.

ETA: if you’re putting ‘sedentary’ into the TDEE calculator and it gives your maintenance calories as 1700 for example, if you then minus 500 to lose 1lb a week you will be on 1200 calories. Always ask yourself, is this less than my BMR? Your daily calorie intake should never fall below your BMR number. If it is then you’ve calculated wrong.

I wouldn’t focus so much on the calories your watch is telling you you’ve burnt as these can be quite inaccurate at times, as long as you have calculated your TDEE correctly and are eating below that maintenance number you will lose weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Hey all, glad to see you are all still doing so well 💖

Not really been around on this thread lately as my mind has been totally consumed by TTC however I am still losing weight.

Also just wanted to say that stopping my pill has had a crazy effect on my appetite, I’m not constantly hungry anymore and have more energy which is really helping with weight loss. I know they say the pill doesn’t make you gain weight but I personally have to disagree as I’m noticing big changes.

If any of you are on hormonal contraception and are also a bottomless pit as I was, it may be something to think about x

• Heart
Reactions: 7
ignore the calories MFP suggests for you, it puts almost everyone on 1200 or 1300 calories no matter who you are and calories that low will be unsustainable for the majority of us.

if you walk 10k steps a day then in the TDEE calculator I would suggest putting ‘Moderately Active’ as your activity level, even if you are sedentary at a desk job all day. If this gives you 2010 as your maintence then you can lose weight at anything below 2010. To lose 1lb a week you would set your calories at 1510.

ETA: if you’re putting ‘sedentary’ into the TDEE calculator and it gives your maintenance calories as 1700 for example, if you then minus 500 to lose 1lb a week you will be on 1200 calories. Always ask yourself, is this less than my BMR? Your daily calorie intake should never fall below your BMR number. If it is then you’ve calculated wrong.

I wouldn’t focus so much on the calories your watch is telling you you’ve burnt as these can be quite inaccurate at times, as long as you have calculated your TDEE correctly and are eating below that maintenance number you will lose weight.
OK revisited tdde

Used 1st one on Google

Tddee calculator net.

Entered in age 40 female 5, 6 180lb.

Came up with maintainance calories based on me saying I'm moderately active.
2330 so if I was 500 below that be about 1800 a day

I don't think in sedentary I'm sahm small toddler 4 kids and 1 dog.
If I entered sedentary it would be 1804 which would put me on 1200 day lose weight.
Light exercise 2667 which I don't get as that's more than moderate?

Ideal weight 129 to 135lb.
Bmi is 29.01 so overweight
Anything 24.99 or below would be normal
So basically I need lose 40lb to not be overweight.
So far I lost 8lb as was 13 stone 5 now 12lb 11.

If mfp has me much lower
Also I been fairly active why am I not losing weight faster.
Husband still saying 1lb a week is lame.
1500 to 1800 cals very manageable for me.
Feeling frustrated

There is such a thing as eating too little calories, if you can sustain 1500 to 1800 a week and steadily lose weight then that is ideal!

As frustrating as it is, it is better to lose weight slowly and sustainably than to lose 5lbs in a week.

1lb a week and managing to keep it off is a lot better than 3lbs a week but then gaining it back because you were eating too little.

Slow and steady wins the race is a very apt saying for weight loss.

OK revisited tdde

Used 1st one on Google

Tddee calculator net.

If I entered sedentary it would be 1804 which would put me on 1200 day lose weight.

If mfp has me much lower
Feeling frustrated
1lb a week isn’t lame 🤨 it’s progress! Sometimes it can be better to lose weight at a slower rate.

have you seen the model of the 1lb of fat? It’s quite an eye opener, maybe get one and throw it at your husband next time he says a lb is lame 😁

Reactions: 6
I was always told it was a bit of trial and error and to always pick sedentary as fitbits etc over estimate exercise. However if you're eating at 1700 and losing weight then go for it. It might slow down a bit after a while and then you can readjust.

I never eat back my calories from exercise personally as I just don't trust it's tracked that accurately however it does give me a little bit of leeway if I've gone over on a different day.

--------

I'm so happy to be back at the gym, I do their workout of the day and it was skipping and weights yesterday and my tummy muscles are so sore don't even know why!

Cardio tonight, I'm trying to get back into couch to 5k. I was all the way up to week 5 before lockdown so I started week one recently and it was a bit too easy so going to maybe try midway through week 2 tonight.
With couch to 5k I would say do the 1st run of week 2 and if that's too easy, next time do the 1st run of week 3 or you could try and go a little quicker. I did couch to 5k 2 years ago but I still use the app to try to improve my pace as I'm stuck on a 32 min 5k

OK revisited tdde

Used 1st one on Google

Tddee calculator net.

If mfp has me much lower
Feeling frustrated
firstly, in the nicest way possible, your husband doesn’t know what he’s talking about - unless he’s actually secretly a registered dietician (but if he was I’d be even more concerned).

Losing 1lb a week is what I would always recommend to 99.9% of weight loss clients, it’s sustainable and that’s the most important thing.

secondly, the maintenance calories for lightly active can’t be more than the calories suggested for moderate - are you sure you’ve read that right?

ive just used the TDEE Calculator myself with your numbers to work it out and it’s as follows:

BMR is 1503
Sedentary (aka zero exercise, bed-ridden unable to move) - 1804 calories
Light exercise - 2067 calories
Moderate - 2330 calories
Heavy - 2593

2330-500= 1830

If you eat around 1800 calories , keep up your 10k steps a day then you’re on track for a 1lb loss a week.

youre currently eating LESS than your BMR, your body needs 1503 calories approx to function, that’s things like breathing, digestion, pumping blood etc.

Last edited:
Hi all, I have a question i’d like your opinions on please as you’re all so knowledgeable and supportive 😊. I’ve been calorie counting since Jan and i’ve roughly stuck to the same amount each day and this has worked for me, losing 2 stone a few weeks back. I took a week off after getting to 2 stone and ate what I wanted for a week (which was delightful 😂). I’ve since gone back to calorie counting at the same amount prior to the week off but i’ve found that i’ve been really hungry, which I wasn’t before on the same cals/food. So my question is, is that because of my week off and it will eventually get used to the amount again? Or am I now not eating enough? I’ve been having more fruit (compared to none before) so is that causing this? Am I thirsty? Something else entirely? Any help gratefully received.

Hi all, I have a question i’d like your opinions on please as you’re all so knowledgeable and supportive 😊. I’ve been calorie counting since Jan and i’ve roughly stuck to the same amount each day and this has worked for me, losing 2 stone a few weeks back. I took a week off after getting to 2 stone and ate what I wanted for a week (which was delightful 😂). I’ve since gone back to calorie counting at the same amount prior to the week off but i’ve found that i’ve been really hungry, which I wasn’t before on the same cals/food. So my question is, is that because of my week off and it will eventually get used to the amount again? Or am I now not eating enough? I’ve been having more fruit (compared to none before) so is that causing this? Am I thirsty? Something else entirely? Any help gratefully received.
have you recalculated your TDEE since losing 2 stone using your new weight? Just so you know you’re eating the right amount of cals I’d do that to start with :)

Secondly, do you actually have much more to lose still after losing 2 stone? How close are you to your weight loss goal?

firstly, in the nicest way possible, your husband doesn’t know what he’s talking about - unless he’s actually secretly a registered dietician (but if he was I’d be even more concerned).

Losing 1lb a week is what I would always recommend to 99.9% of weight loss clients, it’s sustainable and that’s the most important thing.

secondly, the maintenance calories for lightly active can’t be more than the calories suggested for moderate - are you sure you’ve read that right?

ive just used the TDEE Calculator myself with your numbers to work it out and it’s as follows:

BMR is 1503
Sedentary (aka zero exercise, bed-ridden unable to move) - 1804 calories
Light exercise - 2067 calories
Moderate - 2330 calories
Heavy - 2593

2330-500= 1830

If you eat around 1800 calories , keep up your 10k steps a day then you’re on track for a 1lb loss a week.

youre currently eating LESS than your BMR, your body needs 1503 calories approx to function, that’s things like breathing, digestion, pumping blood etc.
Thanks so much taking time double check and work out for me.
Appears I was counting exercise calories twice..
Working out active levels so hard as always attached a job role.
I dident seem to fit into any if job roles.
Be more useful if they said step count.

Today will go over as 1st time met up with bestie in over a year.
So had few drinks today.
Tommorow is another day.

Thanks so much taking time double check and work out for me.
Appears I was counting exercise calories twice..
Working out active levels so hard as always attached a job role.
I dident seem to fit into any if job roles.
Be more useful if they said step count.

Today will go over as 1st time met up with bestie in over a year.
So had few drinks today.
Tommorow is another day.
yes I think applying it to step counts is much easier, I did a post in this thread a few pages back showing what steps = which activity level :) it’s all estimates of course but easier to understand!!

you are doing well, it’s an ongoing journey don’t forget so don’t be hard on yourself. Those extra few lbs are not worth sacrificing memories with friends and loved ones :)

Did 30 mins of HIIT today. Sweat pouring off me! Hard to do with a preschooler trying to walk around me or rest her toys on me while I’m balancing !!
Wishing I could eat more today. Brushed my teeth to stop myself! Due on so I’m assuming that’s why.
Hoping to weigh on Friday and see a change...

With couch to 5k I would say do the 1st run of week 2 and if that's too easy, next time do the 1st run of week 3 or you could try and go a little quicker. I did couch to 5k 2 years ago but I still use the app to try to improve my pace as I'm stuck on a 32 min 5k
Thank you that's what I ended up doing with your advice!

It was a little bit too easy so I just ran for 4 minutes at the end just to get the heart pumping.

So I think next time I'll try day one of week 3 or last one of week 2. It's such a good app, I love Sarah Milligan telling me "good job flower".

Reactions: 3
have you recalculated your TDEE since losing 2 stone using your new weight? Just so you know you’re eating the right amount of cals I’d do that to start with :)

Secondly, do you actually have much more to lose still after losing 2 stone? How close are you to your weight loss goal?
yeah i re-did it just before the 2 stone loss. I’ve not really set an end target but I’d probably need to lose another 5-6 stone to be anywhere near a ‘healthy’ (term used VERY loosely) weight.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.