Weight Loss and Healthy Living #5 Tattlers Transformation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ooh I’m glad I’ve found this thread, I’m starting to healthy eat and get into walking more and exercising on Monday. I’m thinking of doing the couch to 5k and have some hello fresh boxes coming.

do people have any healthy snack suggestions? As that’s my downfall, and also any exercise to loose weight around my hips? I just want to loose abit of weight and tone up a little bit ❤
For healthy do you mean nutritious or low cal? Nutritious snacks, nice things are fruit, nuts, veggies (like carrots) and some hummus. Low calorie snacks - can be anything really if you portion control! Like a few squares of chocolate for example. But good things would be popcorn, plain low sugar biscuits (rich tea).

Reactions: 1
do people have any healthy snack suggestions? As that’s my downfall, and also any exercise to loose weight around my hips? I just want to loose abit of weight and tone up a little bit ❤
Welcome! I think it’s quite tricky to target weight loss into specific areas, but if you combine losing weight with strength exercise you can tone those muscles up for when they’re unveiled once fat is lost. I have seen this particularly in my arms so far 😊.

I don’t have many healthy snack ideas (sorry 😂), but I like one lotus biscuit with my morning cuppa (37 cals) and have Cadbury’s treat size chocolates in for after dinner watching tv. They’re between 54 - 80cals but satisfy my cravings perfectly.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I have to have snacks. One at around 10.30 and one at 2.30. No matter what I eat for meals I need something in between.

Reactions: 3
not really sure how you can promote 80/20 lifestyle if you then don’t promote snacking - if you enjoy chocolate or crisps for example like you mentioned how do you make a biscuit or a packet of crisps part of your meal? There’s no difference to eating crisps WITH your lunch or an hour or two afterwards. At the end of the day you’re consuming the same amount of calories, just at different intervals?
Bit in bold - true for calories, but every time you eat something after not eating for a while, you're also triggering changes in your weight-related hormones, like insulin, ghrelin and leptin, and scientists are really only starting to figure out the effects of that.

Reactions: 4
At the end of the day, people should be doing what works for them as long as it isn't doing them any harm. If only eating three meals a day helps you keep on track, great! If having snacks between meals, allows you to feel full and not deprived without faceplanting into a family sized bar of chocolate and crisps then great! Weight loss is such a personal thing and while the basics of it are the same for everyone (eating at a defecit for your tdee) how everyone goes about it is different.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
At the end of the day, people should be doing what works for them as long as it isn't doing them any harm. If only eating three meals a day helps you keep on track, great! If having snacks between meals, allows you to feel full and not deprived without faceplanting into a family sized bar of chocolate and crisps then great! Weight loss is such a personal thing and while the basics of it are the same for everyone (eating at a defecit for your tdee) how everyone goes about it is different.
this is how I feel about it :) there’s no right and wrong way - only the way that works for each individual!

Bit in bold - true for calories, but every time you eat something after not eating for a while, you're also triggering changes in your weight-related hormones, like insulin, ghrelin and leptin, and scientists are really only starting to figure out the effects of that.
That’s interesting! does that also go for eating lunch a few hours after eating breakfast too then? Would love to read more of this if you have any docs or references!!

Reactions: 2
this is how I feel about it :) there’s no right and wrong way - only the way that works for each individual!

That’s interesting! does that also go for eating lunch a few hours after eating breakfast too then? Would love to read more of this if you have any docs or references!!
Yes, absolutely, I agree with you - we're all different and in the end you've got to do what works best for you :)

There's a really good book by a bariatric surgeon called Andrew Jenkinson called Why We Eat (Too Much) which looks at the effect of hormones on appetite and metabolism, I've found it really helpful.

If you want a brief overview of ghrelin and leptin, try this: https://www.precisionnutrition.com/leptin-ghrelin-weight-loss

Yes, absolutely, I agree with you - we're all different and in the end you've got to do what works best for you :)

There's a really good book by a bariatric surgeon called Andrew Jenkinson called Why We Eat (Too Much) which looks at the effect of hormones on appetite and metabolism, I've found it really helpful.

If you want a brief overview of ghrelin and leptin, try this: https://www.precisionnutrition.com/leptin-ghrelin-weight-loss
thank you! I’m qualified to Level 4 in Nutrition Coaching so familiar with the biosciences but was particularly interested in the trigger you mentioned that was having new research! Will check out the book ☺💕

Starting a 100k walkathon tomorrow for charity for the whole of May. Im getting 50 to 70k a week so want to be done by the 14th 😊

Got to 17'2 today. 2 more pounds to go for 3 stone loss. And Im down 23 pounds since March 🤞🥂

These pictures are 18 stone 2 and 17 stone 2 today 😊

Calories 1800-2200 a day. Burn 300 to 900 a day exercising. Height 5 foot 11 🥰

Screenshot_20210430-202848_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210430-202851_Gallery.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Maintained this week. That’s the old slimming world in me!
happy enough as I’ve eaten cake every day and had wine. Just need to refocus. I’ve upped my steps too, no where near as much as I need to but having an office job going from an average of 2,000 steps a day to 4000-5000 a day consistently is pretty good for me.

Reactions: 10
I forgot to 'watch' this thread so I'm just jumping to the end ...

NSV:
I've now done the first 2 weeks / 6 runs of couch to 5km.

I went to the gym the other day and I'm 30s quicker to get to 1km on the cross trainer, 40s faster on the stationary bike and I've lost 1 inch around my waist!

This might actually be working!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Re Snacks, all the time you are calorie counting and staying within your calories great it's not a problem however once you reach your target weight and stop calorie counting or ease off a bit you're now in the habit of having 3 meals and 2 snacks a day and it is very easy to consume an extra 1000 calories over a day, a couple of 100 calories on each meal, a couple of extra biscuits at snack time and boom 1000 calories over There is a reason people have to keep going back on diets. Also 80/20 isn't confined to 80% of meals 20% snacks, it's 80% of food consumed should be healthy, 20% treats, for me thats a bowl of porridge wih golden syrup and some cream or a couple of slices of toast with poached eggs and Avo but on 1 of the toast I put nutella on. I dont have 3 healthy meals and then an unhealthy snack.

Re Snacks, all the time you are calorie counting and staying within your calories great it's not a problem however once you reach your target weight and stop calorie counting or ease off a bit you're now in the habit of having 3 meals and 2 snacks a day and it is very easy to consume an extra 1000 calories over a day, a couple of 100 calories on each meal, a couple of extra biscuits at snack time and boom 1000 calories over There is a reason people have to keep going back on diets. Also 80/20 isn't confined to 80% of meals 20% snacks, it's 80% of food consumed should be healthy, 20% treats, for me thats a bowl of porridge wih golden syrup and some cream or a couple of slices of toast with poached eggs and Avo but on 1 of the toast I put nutella on. I dont have 3 healthy meals and then an unhealthy snack.
the mindset of ‘easing off’ once you’re at target isn’t just a case of suddenly eating loads more (1000s of calories extra as you suggest) - if you reach target weight then you should recalculate your TDEE accordingly to find maintenance calories and then reverse diet (gradually increasing calories) until you reach your maintenance allowance & you can easily find snacks that fit into any calorie allowance. Eating at maintenance doesn’t mean a sudden free for all.

I think it’s important to reiterate what another poster said earlier and that’s that everyone is different and what works for you may not work for others so telling someone they don’t actually need snacks as they’re detrimental to weight loss, therefore drop the snacks is not really fair or great advice to be giving. That’s all my point is really, what anecdotally works for you isn’t going to work for everyone (or anyone) else. :)

Reactions: 9
thank you! I’m qualified to Level 4 in Nutrition Coaching so familiar with the biosciences but was particularly interested in the trigger you mentioned that was having new research! Will check out the book ☺💕

Pippa campbell health on insta does really good posts on insulin resistance
@Falkor
@Laur91

Reactions: 1
Feeling bit deflated today.
No change on scales
Picked up some new clothes yesterday charity shop.
1 too said extra large dident fit.
1 hoody not flattering at all gave to my daughter.
Got some gym leggings and denim shorts.
But major issue that seems spoil every outfit is my tummy.
I look like I'm expecting.
So maybe sticking to floaty dresses is best for now.
Just want to see my tummy reduce.

Found a influencers who said shes fuller figure
Emily Lucy reschedule she has you tube and insta she's good 10 years younger than me.
I don't like all her style but do like fact she's confident and she really makes the effort.
Depends what video you watch she seems range from size 12 lowest to size 16.
I like her honestly she put on lockdown weight.
Shes done few videos how to dress a big tum.

Today have walk the hound and hope hes doesn't growl at joggers again.
Take kids to sports shop so should get few steps in.

Meeting freind shopping and lunch wed was hoping lost a few lb by then but doubtful.
I don't anticipate finding any nice clothes so will stick charity shops and jumble sales I think for now until shifted the weight.
Trying find bits that make me feel good now.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Feeling bit deflated today.
No change on scales
Picked up some new clothes yesterday charity shop.
1 too said extra large dident fit.
1 hoody not flattering at all gave to my daughter.
Got some gym leggings and denim shorts.
But major issue that seems spoil every outfit is my tummy.
I look like I'm expecting.
So maybe sticking to floaty dresses is best for now.
Just want to see my tummy reduce.

Found a influencers who said shes fuller figure
Emily Lucy reschedule she has you tube and insta she's good 10 years younger than me.
I don't like all her style but do like fact she's confident and she really makes the effort.
Depends what video you watch she seems range from size 12 lowest to size 16.
I like her honestly she put on lockdown weight.
Shes done few videos how to dress a big tum.

Today have walk the hound and hope hes doesn't growl at joggers again.
Take kids to sports shop so should get few steps in.

Meeting freind shopping and lunch wed was hoping lost a few lb by then but doubtful.
I don't anticipate finding any nice clothes so will stick charity shops and jumble sales I think for now until shifted the weight.
Trying find bits that make me feel good now.
I'm in a plateau also, so I know how disheartening it is. We've just got to keep on keeping on. The time will pass anyway, and if we carry on with dieting we stand a much better chance of losing weight than if we give up.

Another 1.4lbs gone this week! I’m 1.2lbs away from goal 🥺😭🤪

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Plateaus are just awful. I'm so sorry but please keep going - they do pass!

I have been stalled for almost 6 weeks (in my case because I had started a new exercise program and water retention - there is an excellent link on reddit about how this works, if you Google psa reddit exercise) but it has just started to come off again. I think one of the hardest parts of weight loss is patience and trusting that something is going on even if you can't see it on the scales.

So much to be said for other ways to measure progress - measurements, do your clothes fit better and how you feel overall.

I finished a 10 week exercise programme yesterday (Caroline Girvan Epic). I lost no weight at all (in fact was 2kg up for most of it) but I have got so much more lean and toned and I feel so strong. I'm giving myself a week off but will still walk and run and then I will start epic 2.

The time will pass anyway, and if we carry on with dieting we stand a much better chance of losing weight than if we give up.
i could not agree more with this!

• Heart
Week 17 (week 16 was a week off where I ate everything in sight in celebration of losing 2st and my friend & walking/diet buddy turning 40) - lost 3lb, however this is from the 5lb I put on in my week off 😂. 2lb to go to be back to 2 stone. Totally worth it 😂

• Heart
Make sense of this!!!

I was on a diet for 7 weeks, in that time I only lost 4lbs and managed to put it all back on for some reason unknown, I did eat at Easter but stuck to it otherwise.

I was so peed off, for 2 weeks (just gone) I stopped dieting and ate, not madly just the 'nice' bits that I had cut out.

I also stopped running (I use that word very loosely) for those two weeks as I had an injury.

So I started running again last Sunday and decided to give dieting another go.

My diet week goes from Wednesday to Wednesday.

So!!!!!!!!!

Tuesday - my weight was 10st 9lbs
Wednesday - (weigh in day) my weight was 10st 7lbs (??????)
Friday - (today) my weight is 10st 6lbs.

My TDEE is 1397 but I have under eaten by about 200 calories as I just could not work out what 'good' to eat extra.

But 2lbs had come of before I started on my TDEE.

What is going on? In this week, I have nearly lost more weight than in the 7 weeks that I was on my diet

As per above and my strange weight loss, this morning I put on a brand new pair of Wallis size 14 jeans, with none of the normal gymnastics!
And they are a bit loose on me.

This dieting game is weird!

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.