Weight Loss and Healthy Living #2 Tattlers Transformation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm not the person you asked but I've done slimming world on-and-off for about 15 years. It has a lot of pros and cons. I'd recommend the podcast The Secret World Of Slimming Clubs to find out more

Pros
- If you have several stone to lose you probably will lose quite a lot quickly by cutting down on 'junk' food. Women below 16st are allowed 15 syns and all men and women above 16st are allowed 25 syns. If there is no 'healthy' food component then one syn is equal to 20 calories so most people who go have up to 300 calories in syns.
- If you follow the rule that 1/3 of your plate has to be speed food (aka non-starchy fruit/veg) then that's going to cut down your calories a lot by default and help you to lose weight as well as getting you lots of good vitamins and nutrients.
- You are recommended to have two dairy (or vegan) sources of calcium and one source of fibre (such as brown bread or cereal bars) per day
- It can be good if you don't do much cooking as it encourages home cooked meals (though they do sell their own ready meals)
- Having a place to go to every week for support from people who know what it's like to be overweight is nice, especially if you don't have the support in your private life
- You can get useful tips and tricks in group
-The members pack explains that you need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight and that the plan works by reducing your calories by replacing 1/3 of your food with speed
- Some of the recipes in the cook books are nice

Cons
- You can get a very mixed experience with consultants. Some are good, some are dreadful. It can be the same with groups as well - some are just super cliquey.
- The term Syn is bad. They say that it stands for 'synergy' but if you look at booklets from the 90s they were called Sins so it does mean sinful food. Even with trying to rebrand it can still have an effect on members and it isn't unusual to hear someone sit and talk about eating 'naughty food.' If you go above your syns you might feel so bad that you binge (I have in the past), even though you could have been under your TDEE before the binge.
- If you suffer from binge eating or just have a very large appetite it is possible to stay within your syns and have 1/3 speed but still eat above your TDEE.
- Many leaders will never mention calories. A lot won't even mention portion size. I've sat in groups with people crying because they haven't lost anything in several months with the leader saying "oh, well increase your speed a bit more and maybe you'll lose next week."
- If you don't have much weight to lose you'll find it a lot more difficult
- Some people interpret 'unlimited free food and 1/3 speed' to mean 'an entire plate of pasta with one shallot' or they increase their portions by 1/3 to add the extra speed on rather than reducing and replacing with 1/3.
- You can easily fluctuate in weight for reasons other than eating. Most leaders nowadays will just say "oh, you've had a bit of a gain this week" but a few will still say "oh, you've gained two pounds this week" in front of everyone.
- Even though SW technically promote 'body magic' (aka exercise) in all the groups I've been to people avoided it like the plague because they didn't want to get a gain on the scales
- There is a big push towards buying the bars and other products. A lot of SW consultants get almost no money from their classes though so I don't begrudge them that.
- It isn't uncommon to find people drastically restricting on weigh-day (such as weighing at 19:30 so not eating after 10:00 and not drinking after 12:00) and then eating five SW bars as soon as they're weighed and then going home and having loads of food because they're trapped in a binge-restrict cycle
- The meetings can get annoying. When you hear "I don't know why I've gained weight four weeks in a row, I've followed the plan perfectly" it is hard to not shout "you're eating too much".
- A lot of the syn rules don't make much sense - if you eat a banana it is free but if you mash it up it is syns - if you have dried pasta it is free and unlimited but if you have fresh pasta it is incredibly high in syns
- A lot of people will end up scared of higher fat foods like olive oil and avocados because they are higher syn than chocolate bars
- A lot of people will eat the max amount of syns per day, even if they're not hungry, because you can't roll them over
- When you get to target you are allowed to go within -3 or +3 pounds and if you weight anything else you have to start paying again, even though you may be a perfectly healthy weight.
edit - Thought of another couple
- It is possible to go too low calorie. If you're having a small amount of cereal and skimmed milk for breakfast, a vegetable soup for lunch and a vegetable stir fry (in fry light) that is not going to be anywhere near enough calories long term and you'll end up breaking and thinking it is because you can't stick to a diet when the diet was unhealthy
- You get people making horrible desserts out of quark or sausage rolls out of wraps and saying "syn free" when they are often more calories (and taste much worse) than having an actual cake or small sausage roll.
Thank you this is super interesting and makes complete sense. I don't have a lot to lose maybe a stone would be ideal, I've cut out the crap, looked at calories and portion size and increased exercise and its coming off. All just put on from sitting bored in lockdown and snacking. I don't think SW would be for me. You're right thr people I know that have done well have all had several stones to lose. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: 5
Didn’t weigh last week as it was my TOTM but I’ve lost another 2lb taking my total to half a stone since 11th Jan! Thrilled 😍

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Week 6 weigh in: Well, who knows?! I bought some new fancy scales 3 weeks ago and they were consistent with my old scales to start with. This morning i’ve lost 6lb, 10lb, gained 6lb, lost 2st etc. Completely useless. My old scales suggest a loss of 3/4lb or 1lb 3/4. I’ve walked every day, i’ve been under my calories. I’m upset and demoralised about the whole thing as i can’t seem to rely on any scales to give me an accurate reading so i’ve no idea if I’m actually losing weight. 😔

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Week 6 weigh in: Well, who knows?! I bought some new fancy scales 3 weeks ago and they were consistent with my old scales to start with. This morning i’ve lost 6lb, 10lb, gained 6lb, lost 2st etc. Completely useless. My old scales suggest a loss of 3/4lb or 1lb 3/4. I’ve walked every day, i’ve been under my calories. I’m upset and demoralised about the whole thing as i can’t seem to rely on any scales to give me an accurate reading so i’ve no idea if I’m actually losing weight. 😔
Oh geez, that is frustrating. Is your floor level? It DOES sound like you've lost if the old scales are giving you those readings. I would go with that and return the new scale!

Digital scales are always going to be less accurate but I've had these for years with no issues: Amazon product

No BMI, no smart data, but it's always been accurate and I've only had to change the battery once.

Reactions: 3
Yeah, i’ve weighed in the same place for the last 3 weeks and the first two weeks were fine. I’m not overly fussed about all the extras, so I’ll definitely check those scales out @carriebooboo. Thank you.

ETA -just checked and those are my old scales! Might be time for me to get some new ones though 😁

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Weight loss is a funny thing isn't it? I'm now 9lbs down since the start of jan (got 12lb to go) which I'm really pleased with, but the week before last I walked 20 miles, ate really well and lost nothing, whereas the week just gone I did no exercise at all, ate pretty much the same as the week before and lost 2lbs? Not complaining but my calorie deficit the week before was a lot more - wondering if due to the walking my muscles were retaining water? It wasn't time of the month or anything like that either, which I know makes my weight not budge!

Having takeaway tonight (I'll have a chicken wrap and chips from the kebab shop) and steak and mash for V day tomorrow but will do my best not to go over my maintenance weight - not had this kind of food since starting this so won't let myself feel guilty!

Reactions: 9
Haha! Good ol' WW. Mine are probably 10 years old by now. Maybe try a new battery?
i changed the battery shortly before buying the new ones. To be fair, the new one and old one showed the same weight the first time I used the new ones, which does give me some confidence in the old ones.

Reactions: 2
I sympathise with you all so much, you can follow all the rules to a T and not get the results you expect. For example, according to my scales between Mon and Fri this week I only lost .5lb. I weighed myself again this morning and was down another .5lb. IT MAKES NO SENSE 🙃🙃
Whaaat nooooo 😭 Damn I thought we'd be getting at least one more after this, I'm so upset.
Mate.. me too. I’m devo’d 😭😭 it’s the worst. Ah well, I will just keep constantly rewatching it like I do right now anyway 😅

So I weighed in early as I'm planning a valentine's extravaganza (a lot of pasta and creme brulé for dessert).

1.5 lb off since Monday so quite pleased with that. Total of 14.5 lb since start of Jan. So into a new stone bracket and now I'm officially only overweight not obese!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Hi all new to the thread, so happy I found it though as I am staring again today in trying to lose weight (although I have been saying this everyday for the past year).
I'm shaking as I write this as I am so ashamed of my weight but i'm going to take a deep breath and be brave........I have weighed myself today and I am 16st 4lbs. I feel and look awful and I am struggling to keep up with my very energetic 4 year old son. I have a pretty terrible relationship with food (always have done), and I am a binge-eater, it used to be once or twice a week- but now it is everyday and I can't handle feeling like this anymore. I am a single mum and am terrified that If I carry on like this I won't be around for much longer and my son will be left on his own, (it keeps me up at night).
So i'm starting again today and hoping that you lovely bunch will be able to give me any advice that you have.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Absolutely @mamanoodle - you have come to the right place 🙏🏻 There is great support on this thread, and so much advice which I’ve found so helpful to my journey.

• Heart
Welcome @mamanoodle! I think most of us had the 'shaking' moment in recent months, realising we had to do something about our weights, so you're definitely in the right place. :)

My tips:

- clear out any temptations (not always easy with kids around)
- snack on fruit (stops the slippery slope of wanting more treats)
- come up with a list of lower calorie meals you actually enjoy so you can rotate them and not have to think too much about cooking.

Good luck and keep us updated!

• Heart
Morning all. I've lost 1lb, which I'll take after two weeks of STS, so that's 6lb overall. Hope everyone is doing ok and has a great weekend.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Absolutely @mamanoodle - you have come to the right place 🙏🏻 There is great support on this thread, and so much advice which I’ve found so helpful to my journey.
Thank you ❤ I've never felt brave enough to talk about this stuff before, but reading this thread has made me see that there are such wonderful and supportive people out there.

Welcome @mamanoodle! I think most of us had the 'shaking' moment in recent months, realising we had to do something about our weights, so you're definitely in the right place. :)

My tips:

- clear out any temptations (not always easy with kids around)
- snack on fruit (stops the slippery slope of wanting more treats)
- come up with a list of lower calorie meals you actually enjoy so you can rotate them and not have to think too much about cooking.

Good luck and keep us updated!
Thank you ❤ I was scared to reach out but feel like I've taken the first step and I look forward to sharing this journey with all of you.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Huge well done to everyone this week, you look like you’ve all smashed it!!!

I’ve fully fallen off the bandwagon this week, all of those old disgusting habits have come back. I think I’ve had a bit of a bout of depression (long term sufferer), aided by the fact we lost another family member to Covid in the week and February is going to be a rough month anyway as it’s been a year since my Grandad passed. BUT, I‘ve had a stern word with myself and I think if this is a true lifestyle change then these things happen. That’s the good thing about it not being a “diet”, is that some weeks are just better than others. I’ll get back on the wagon on Monday after a weekend takeaway/Valentine’s and I’ll have a healthier week next week. As frustrating as it is that I’ve let it go this week, I’m not undoing all my hard work. I’m nearly 20lbs down!!! Not going to beat myself up as that just triggers so much need to binge.

I have to say, I’ve semi avoided this thread this week but reading everyone’s losses and encouragements has just spurred me on to get my head back in the game. Have a good weekend everyone 🥰

Hi all new to the thread, so happy I found it though as I am staring again today in trying to lose weight (although I have been saying this everyday for the past year).
I'm shaking as I write this as I am so ashamed of my weight but i'm going to take a deep breath and be brave........I have weighed myself today and I am 16st 4lbs. I feel and look awful and I am struggling to keep up with my very energetic 4 year old son. I have a pretty terrible relationship with food (always have done), and I am a binge-eater, it used to be once or twice a week- but now it is everyday and I can't handle feeling like this anymore. I am a single mum and am terrified that If I carry on like this I won't be around for much longer and my son will be left on his own, (it keeps me up at night).
So i'm starting again today and hoping that you lovely bunch will be able to give me any advice that you have.
Welcome!! Please don’t be ashamed to talk here, we are all in the same boat and I’ve already learned so much from everyone since it was started. You’ve got this and when you feel like you don’t, we are all here ❤❤

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Welcome @mamanoodle - I bloody love this thread and have found it so helpful!! There’s also loads of amazing girls on Instagram who document their weight loss so I’ve found that amazing for meal ideas!!

My big recommendation is to work out the calories for all your meals first thing in the morning then you know whatever you have left you can use for snacks! I know when I’ve tried previously I haven’t done this then got to dinner time and realised I don’t have any calories left🤣 if you plan properly you can still eat most things you were before as you’ll fit it into the calories!! Like I know tomorrow I’ll be having pizza and garlic bread for tea so I’ll put those into Nutracheck first, then work out the rest of my meals and snacks to make sure I stay in my calories!! But even if you go over one or two days, if you stay on track the rest of the week it’ll balance out. Weight loss is a fully ol game and it definitely goes up and down!!

I will say food shopping takes me so much longer now that I’m looking and comparing calories on everything 🤣 but as weeks go on I think I’m getting into more of a groove!!

Reactions: 2
Hey, welcome. So I just wanted to comment because my original starting weight was the same as you give or take a pound. I got down to 9stone 2 within about a year and a half and that was without depriving myself. I just calorie counted and did lots of walking and some hiit here and there. It really is about a lifestyle and mindset change but I just wanted you to know it is possible and it is worth it. I’ve gone back up to currently being 10 st 9 but I know why that is, I had a few bereavements close together, 2 of which were my parents and I consciously knew I was comfort eating, I stopped tracking calories and my exercise was sporadic. So I’m letting myself off but anyway that’s why I’m on this thread as I’m back to calorie counting and exercising again now but I truly don’t see it as a diet or a hardship, I just see it as a healthy way to live. Good luck, you’ll get lots of support here and you can do this! X

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.