Weight Loss and Healthy Living #2 Tattlers Transformation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Another -2lbs 🤩 it’s been a week and a half since my last weigh because of changing the day so I’m made up with this!! Officially at -11lbs! I think this is the most I’ve ever lost and longest I’ve ever stuck to a diet 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Another -2lbs 🤩 it’s been a week and a half since my last weigh because of changing the day so I’m made up with this!! Officially at -11lbs! I think this is the most I’ve ever lost and longest I’ve ever stuck to a diet 🤣
Well done!! 🎉🎉 don’t forget...not a diet! You’re doing so well! Xx

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Friday was my weigh in day but I have fallen off the horse for the last 4 weeks due to a new job which is FULL ON! I weighed myself today and glas to see I havent put any weight on for the past 4 weeks despite lots chocolate and one can of coke most days which I had completely cut.

I need to get back on it...starting today!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Just to say both running and lifting make me ‘gain’ weight even if I’m sticking to a cal deficit because they make your muscles sore which causes water retention or something...I can’t remember exactly but it’s a legit thing though. Eventually it plops off. Don’t have any advice because tbh I avoid exercise that isn’t just walking for this reason but I know that’s a stupid thing to do 😬
Yep this is spot on - your muscles retain water to repair themselves which causes an uptick in scale weight. Basically if you feel slightly sore you'll be retaining water

I really want the gym to reopen, I weightlift (in normal times) and it really helps me focus on the food side of things because it's important for my macros to be good so I hone in on protein. I just can't get into at home workouts, I'm too lazy for cardio and any bodyweight stuff doesn't have enough of an immediate impact for me to do it more than once.

Despite yesterday's claim that I was back on the wagon I ordered a mcdonalds in the afternoon about two hours after my healthy lunch. Didn't have dinner though so ended up at maintenance. Not going to make any amazing claims about today as that hasn't worked once this week!

Reactions: 3
Well done!! 🎉🎉 don’t forget...not a diet! You’re doing so well! Xx
Definitely not a diet, I’ve had a burger, pizza, sweets and chocolate this week.. just in moderation which I never did before 🤣🤣 thank you 💗💗

• Heart
Friday was my weigh in day but I have fallen off the horse for the last 4 weeks due to a new job which is FULL ON! I weighed myself today and glas to see I havent put any weight on for the past 4 weeks despite lots chocolate and one can of coke most days which I had completely cut.

I need to get back on it...starting today!
This always surprises me! I drank loads and ate whatever I wanted in the first lockdown because I was furloughed so when I weighed myself when I came back to work in october i was amazed that I'd only gained like 2lbs in 6 months. I did feel crap though and was certainly doughier than when I actually pay attention

This always surprises me! I drank loads and ate whatever I wanted in the first lockdown because I was furloughed so when I weighed myself when I came back to work in october i was amazed that I'd only gained like 2lbs in 6 months. I did feel crap though and was certainly doughier than when I actually pay attention
Yes it is so odd. I do feel much more bloated than when I was eating better. I have this thing in my head that the body gets used to eating less calories so the "marginal gains" are harder to find every month.

Reactions: 1
Yes it is so odd. I do feel much more bloated than when I was eating better. I have this thing in my head that the body gets used to eating less calories so the "marginal gains" are harder to find every month.
It doesn't really work like that, it's more a case of as you weigh less your body uses less energy just carrying yourself around which is why your TDEE goes down, but if eating less you tend to have less energy so don't move around as much which also has an impact

Morning girls, weigh day, -3! I’ve lost one stone four pounds, this week was definitely the hardest with the snow and the sheer lack of motivation but I remember how I feel ever single summer and miss out on lots of lovely days out because I’m too mortified at the lumps 😂 I’ve completely changed the way I look at food after years of SW and the awful relationship with food they teach it’s turned my world around! Off to Sainsbury’s to get the 400kcal stonebake pizza 🤤 Happy Weekend 🤍

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I’m .5 lb down since I last weighed myself on Monday, got in a bad habit of weighing myself twice a week 🙃 it’s interesting what you said @judgejohndeed about walking/other exercise and water retention, I walk on the weekends and do more during the week so I might go back to a Monday weigh in 😂

In other exciting news I am having my first cheat meal in six weeks on Sunday for Valentines Day! Thai takeaway and a mini bottle of Prosecco, I cannot wait 🤩 I’m going to try and not go too mental but I’m sooooo looking forward to it.

I proper need this, as of this week I have no idea whether my wedding is going to go ahead or not this year, and they confirmed yesterday that Brooklyn 99’s next season would be the last one and it’s my favourite ever show so yesterday I was DEPRESSED.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
February has been one giant failure - I damaged a tooth on the 1st and have had two days so far this month without crippling toothache and inadequate sleep so I haven't even cared slightly about dieting/exercising.

I'm slowly coming out the other side of it so I'll start trying again on Monday - whatever the scales says it says and I'll work down from that. I'm thinking of giving the New 5:2 a go for the rest of February - two non-consecutive days of 500-800 and then eating near maintenance for the other five days. I've tried it before and found it easier than fretting about making a small deficit each day, will see how it goes.

Well done on your weightlosses this week everyone!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Morning girls, weigh day, -3! I’ve lost one stone four pounds, this week was definitely the hardest with the snow and the sheer lack of motivation but I remember how I feel ever single summer and miss out on lots of lovely days out because I’m too mortified at the lumps 😂 I’ve completely changed the way I look at food after years of SW and the awful relationship with food they teach it’s turned my world around! Off to Sainsbury’s to get the 400kcal stonebake pizza 🤤 Happy Weekend 🤍
Well done! Know what you mean about SW. Took me ages to unlearn what they taught. Finding calorie counting much better

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Tried to get some steps in just now so went for a walk, full on slipped over flat on my face so that’s enough for today 🤣🥺

• Haha
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
My period has started today so I feel very round and heavy and tired and angry. Have had naughty lunch and a couple of biscuits, logging everything though and I've spare calories leftover from being pretty good this week, so it's not the end of the world. It's all a process and one off day doesn't undo everything else (even if it takes the scales a few days to work themselves out 😂) got loads of cleaning and errands to do over the weekend which will stop me mindlessly eating!

Tried to get some steps in just now so went for a walk, full on slipped over flat on my face so that’s enough for today 🤣🥺
Ouch!! Hope you're alright!

• Heart
Anyone else with the Courtney Black app - if you go on workouts then suitable for home only, does it not give any options for upper body? I don't have any and that seems odd? The only options for upper are ones you need gym equipment for like a lat pulldown machine etc :/

That's interesting, what is the problem with SW as you see it? I've never tried it myself but thought it sounded amazing, being able to eat as much of certain foods etc. Sounds ideal. I've always gone with counting calories.

No loss this week but probably just one of those weeks, I tracked everything on MFP but never mind! On to next week.

That's interesting, what is the problem with SW as you see it? I've never tried it myself but thought it sounded amazing, being able to eat as much of certain foods etc. Sounds ideal. I've always gone with counting calories.
I'm not the person you asked but I've done slimming world on-and-off for about 15 years. It has a lot of pros and cons. I'd recommend the podcast The Secret World Of Slimming Clubs to find out more

Pros
- If you have several stone to lose you probably will lose quite a lot quickly by cutting down on 'junk' food. Women below 16st are allowed 15 syns and all men and women above 16st are allowed 25 syns. If there is no 'healthy' food component then one syn is equal to 20 calories so most people who go have up to 300 calories in syns.
- If you follow the rule that 1/3 of your plate has to be speed food (aka non-starchy fruit/veg) then that's going to cut down your calories a lot by default and help you to lose weight as well as getting you lots of good vitamins and nutrients.
- You are recommended to have two dairy (or vegan) sources of calcium and one source of fibre (such as brown bread or cereal bars) per day
- It can be good if you don't do much cooking as it encourages home cooked meals (though they do sell their own ready meals)
- Having a place to go to every week for support from people who know what it's like to be overweight is nice, especially if you don't have the support in your private life
- You can get useful tips and tricks in group
-The members pack explains that you need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight and that the plan works by reducing your calories by replacing 1/3 of your food with speed
- Some of the recipes in the cook books are nice

Cons
- You can get a very mixed experience with consultants. Some are good, some are dreadful. It can be the same with groups as well - some are just super cliquey.
- The term Syn is bad. They say that it stands for 'synergy' but if you look at booklets from the 90s they were called Sins so it does mean sinful food. Even with trying to rebrand it can still have an effect on members and it isn't unusual to hear someone sit and talk about eating 'naughty food.' If you go above your syns you might feel so bad that you binge (I have in the past), even though you could have been under your TDEE before the binge.
- If you suffer from binge eating or just have a very large appetite it is possible to stay within your syns and have 1/3 speed but still eat above your TDEE.
- Many leaders will never mention calories. A lot won't even mention portion size. I've sat in groups with people crying because they haven't lost anything in several months with the leader saying "oh, well increase your speed a bit more and maybe you'll lose next week."
- If you don't have much weight to lose you'll find it a lot more difficult
- Some people interpret 'unlimited free food and 1/3 speed' to mean 'an entire plate of pasta with one shallot' or they increase their portions by 1/3 to add the extra speed on rather than reducing and replacing with 1/3.
- You can easily fluctuate in weight for reasons other than eating. Most leaders nowadays will just say "oh, you've had a bit of a gain this week" but a few will still say "oh, you've gained two pounds this week" in front of everyone.
- Even though SW technically promote 'body magic' (aka exercise) in all the groups I've been to people avoided it like the plague because they didn't want to get a gain on the scales
- There is a big push towards buying the bars and other products. A lot of SW consultants get almost no money from their classes though so I don't begrudge them that.
- It isn't uncommon to find people drastically restricting on weigh-day (such as weighing at 19:30 so not eating after 10:00 and not drinking after 12:00) and then eating five SW bars as soon as they're weighed and then going home and having loads of food because they're trapped in a binge-restrict cycle
- The meetings can get annoying. When you hear "I don't know why I've gained weight four weeks in a row, I've followed the plan perfectly" it is hard to not shout "you're eating too much".
- A lot of the syn rules don't make much sense - if you eat a banana it is free but if you mash it up it is syns - if you have dried pasta it is free and unlimited but if you have fresh pasta it is incredibly high in syns
- A lot of people will end up scared of higher fat foods like olive oil and avocados because they are higher syn than chocolate bars
- A lot of people will eat the max amount of syns per day, even if they're not hungry, because you can't roll them over
- When you get to target you are allowed to go within -3 or +3 pounds and if you weight anything else you have to start paying again, even though you may be a perfectly healthy weight.
edit - Thought of another couple
- It is possible to go too low calorie. If you're having a small amount of cereal and skimmed milk for breakfast, a vegetable soup for lunch and a vegetable stir fry (in fry light) that is not going to be anywhere near enough calories long term and you'll end up breaking and thinking it is because you can't stick to a diet when the diet was unhealthy
- You get people making horrible desserts out of quark or sausage rolls out of wraps and saying "syn free" when they are often more calories (and taste much worse) than having an actual cake or small sausage roll.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Great post, @AnderbeauJohnson.

Well done to everyone still here. This week was an absolute slog, wasn't it?! Weather, lockdown, the news... it's so hard to stay positive. This thread is really helping to keep me going!!

Weigh day for me:

Week 7: -3 lbs
Total: 1 stone 5 lbs

Shocked at that! 😮 I was stuck at -1 lb all week, then magically whooshed 2 lbs yesterday. Keep going and the results will come!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.