Weight Loss and Healthy Living #2 Tattlers Transformation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think my binge eating is triggered by anxiety and the 2 occasions I’ve binged lately were after difficult conversations that made me feel anxious.

I’m a tight arse so always prefer free apps. What is so game changing about nutracheck?

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Just catching up and weirdly pleased to see everyone struggled yesterday! I went way over my cals on Saturday as was hungover and had a cheat day (got nandos delivered - which was a waste of cals, then had freezer pizza for dinner, whoops!) and yesterday I really wanted lunch (I've been doing one meal a day) so had that then dinner which put me at maintenance. Trying not to worry too much about it and back on the wagon today.

Feeling a bit meh in general tbh - I think for me it's the fact that normally when January ends it feels like finally we're getting out of winter and there's stuff to look forward to but not this year!

Reactions: 3
I got nutracheck after hearing you lovely people talk about and it’s game changing! So much better than MyFitnessPal and the daily allowance is much more sensible
Me too! I had used MFP for years but thought I’d see what the fuss was about Nutracheck - took a little bit of adjustment to get used to but the search results are just so much better it’s swung it for me. I also like being able to have 5:2 built into my allowance plans so it’s easier to keep track

Absolutely had a bad week last week, barely any veggies in my meals and had 3 take aways. Follow SW and much prefer it being via Zoom than having to attend a group.

Reactions: 1
I think my binge eating is triggered by anxiety and the 2 occasions I’ve binged lately were after difficult conversations that made me feel anxious.

I’m a tight arse so always prefer free apps. What is so game changing about nutracheck?
I’m also a tight arse! Nutracheck offers a 7 day free trial, I’m definitely going to stick with it! It’s very user friendly and way easier to track food. Has lots of UK products on there too and it’s accurate. Whereas MFP sometimes the calories wouldn’t be right so I’d have to create the food manually :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4
I’ve just downloaded it and can definitely see the appeal. So much easier to navigate than MFP. I may stick with it too as it only works out as a couple of quid a week.

I don’t want to be an armchair psychologist but I would suggest that you need to start focusing on the triggers for the binging which don’t from what you’ve said seem to be hunger-related unless I’m mistaken?

Are you struggling in general with anxiety and/or insomnia or is the late night thing so you can do it in secret?

Whilst it is a good idea not to have foods in you know you’re tempted by I think you’re saying it doesn’t really matter what it is as it’s not a craving for a particular food, it’s a compulsion to fill a void?

Personally I’d suggest seeing if you’re able to access some counselling to discuss this with a proper professional who can listen without judgement.

My other advice would be to be kind to yourself - getting angry and bullying yourself for doing self-destructive behaviours is just creating a vicious circle of not loving yourself enough to stop.

And if I’ve got that all wrong and it is just hunger driven perhaps you need to look at the foods you’re eating and understand what keeps you fuller for longer.
no you’re spot on it’s a direct cause of depression and anxiety. I suppose at least I know the triggers! I just felt like I needed to write all it down last night helped a little. Trying to find ways to cope instead of bingeing.

Is there anyway you can reset your body’s metabolism?!

I weigh 10.5 stone. I want to lose another 10lb ish and I’m struggling like mad! I know it’s bad but I literally eat nothing all day except my main meal and I’m lucky if I lose a lb. I have coffee in the morning and water all day.

I know people say to eat more but honestly if do eat more then I guarantee I’ll put weight on. It’s SO frustrating.

Hope everyone is feeling a bit less meh today, seems it was a common theme yesterday!!

I made sure I did my usual 5k walk this morning and felt so much better for it. Have been way way under calories today but literally not feeling hungry at all? Do I eat for the sake of it?! I had porridge with fruit and Nutella just after 1 and a pork stir fry this evening with a fibre one bar, aero bubbly mousse and 3 cal jelly thrown in. Maybe I’ll have some malteasers later as a treat although I did end up scoffing a full big bag of magic stars last night even after a bloody pizza....oops. Probs not a bad thing I’m way under today 😂😂

Checking in!

After losing 8lbs in Jan and being over the moon about it, I have also had a terrible few days overeating and not moving. Broke my Dry Jan in style and it totally screwed me.

Managed to exercise today and was just over my cals. Dreading getting back on the scales 😖

• Heart
Reactions: 7

I weigh 10.5 stone. I want to lose another 10lb ish and I’m struggling like mad! I know it’s bad but I literally eat nothing all day except my main meal and I’m lucky if I lose a lb. I have coffee in the morning and water all day.

I know people say to eat more but honestly if do eat more then I guarantee I’ll put weight on. It’s SO frustrating.
Hi lovely, you may gain weight initially if you eat more but this will be water retention and not fat. Doing OMAD is good but you should only do it for so long I believe (or so I have read!). My dad does the 5:2 diet but fasts 3 days and he hit a wall a long time ago and couldn’t shift the extra weight...he then started to eat more daily (his TDEE + exercise daily) and amazingly the weight fell off. I think your body holds onto fat if you are depriving yourself of everything you need for a sustained amount of time xx

there’s a good chance your metabolism has gotten used to that low amount of food therefore your tdee is now lower and it’s making it harder to create a proper deficit. If you don’t want to increase by a huge amount then I would suggest gradually increasing by 1-200 calories each week and giving your body time to adjust back to a higher intake. I have definitely found eating more has helped me in the past and helped overcome plateaus.

Hi lovely, you may gain weight initially if you eat more but this will be water retention and not fat. Doing OMAD is good but you should only do it for so long I believe (or so I have read!). My dad does the 5:2 diet but fasts 3 days and he hit a wall a long time ago and couldn’t shift the extra weight...he then started to eat more daily (his TDEE + exercise daily) and amazingly the weight fell off. I think your body holds onto fat if you are depriving yourself of everything you need for a sustained amount of time xx
thank you - without sounding thick, what does TDEE mean? I’ve tried upping a little bit by having some breakfast or lunch every now and again but like you say, the weight comes back and it scares me into not eating again!

there’s a good chance your metabolism has gotten used to that low amount of food therefore your tdee is now lower and it’s making it harder to create a proper deficit. If you don’t want to increase by a huge amount then I would suggest gradually increasing by 1-200 calories each week and giving your body time to adjust back to a higher intake. I have definitely found eating more has helped me in the past and helped overcome plateaus.
Thanks - should I up it with anything in particular? I’ve tried sneaking a slice of toast in on a morning on the odd occasion but I don’t lose weight so it puts me off.

I definitely have issues with food and diets, I’ve probably been on a diet my whole adult life and it’s so difficult to change something you’ve done forever!

Eat more and lift weights. The more muscle you have the more calories you burn at rest which makes it a lot easier to lose weight and not have to be at a really big deficit. Your body composition will change also so even if you’re not losing a lot you’re more likely to lose inches and tighten up.

thank you - without sounding thick, what does TDEE mean? I’ve tried upping a little bit by having some breakfast or lunch every now and again but like you say, the weight comes back and it scares me into not eating again!

Thanks - should I up it with anything in particular? I’ve tried sneaking a slice of toast in on a morning on the odd occasion but I don’t lose weight so it puts me off.

I definitely have issues with food and diets, I’ve probably been on a diet my whole adult life and it’s so difficult to change something you’ve done forever!
Ok so TDEE is your “total daily energy expenditure” aka the amount of calories you burn every day just by being the weight/height/age you are - the result of this is your maintenance calories so how many calories you’d need to eat to maintain your current weight. For weight loss you need to be eating about 500-1000 less. So my TDEE is 2495 and I eat around 1500 a day to lose weight and so far it’s worked and I’ve lost -1.5-2lbs a week for 4 weeks so far.

I use this calculator http://tdeecalculator.net/ but Nutracheck also works out a rough calorie guide and there are lots of others online 😊

Reactions: 2
Hope most of you have had some sort of hint that Spring is coming, if only through it being lighter in the afternoons.

I've had a phone call to give me a brief recap of the findings from an MRI of my foot and ankle today; no fractures, no tears in tendons (which is a risk with the number of steroid injections I've had), but [takes deep breath] intrametatarsal bursitis and inflammation of the left Tibialis posterior tendon. Which is good new, apparently. This means I have to have custom orthotics made for me following the first available appointment with them. At the end of April. It might help my right tendinopathy on the greater trochanter as well, but not until they get around to the appointment and prescribing the things.

In the meantime, I'm supposed to wear 'good running shoes'. Like what? I hated my Brooks as they disintegrated on top within a couple of months, the Nikes I had felt great but made my feet stink, encouraged heelstrike when I'd never done it before, Adidas are too narrow, New Balance are even narrower and, to be honest, I really, really don't want day glo orange/yellow/pink Asics or Hokas. I already buy from the men's ranges for the width (and my weight). Oh, and some generic insoles online to tide me over. But I can't go and try anything on for size. Plus a hundred and fifty notes is a lot of dosh to bang out.

Still coming in under each day. Have been enjoying slow cooked chilli/spicy meals, with rice or, as tonight, the last of Sunday dinner's one with baked sweet potato and half an avocado/salad.

Upped activity last week as I was in the office (did 3 miles a day just to and fro on site). Foot bloody hurts. And so does my grumpy hip tendon on the other side.

Should I have put a Moaning Warning on this?

Oh, how I wish I could be in the pool. I wish I could be on the Concept 2 or nailing the abductor/adductor and smirking when a big guy gets on it next and can't do the weights I did. And the steam room and sauna when it's cold and dark and miserable outside and my bastard hip and hole foot and cunty ankle tendons are warmed and coaxed into submission.

Feels like I'm never going to get active enough to lose weight without going all disordered about it. I MISS MY GYM!!!!!!!!

Anyhow, now that's off my chest, anybody got some recommendations for neutral (as they're going to have orthotics in them in the end), cushioned but not too cushioned, vaguely firm, deep heel cupped, men's running shoes that don't look frankly ridiculous on a fat, middle aged bird who would rather be anywhere than being seen to be exercising in public. And preferably for less than a week's wages?

(Suggestions for good but cheap OTC orthotics and the best way to KT tape for toes and ankle at the same time would also be appreciated).

Reactions: 5
I was doing so well today healthy breakfast, managed a HIIT workout, nice lunch and then around 2pm it all went downhill I started grazing on everything in sight. Then I had a RAKE of potatoes with dinner and my stomach has swelled to to the size of a Kardashian pregnancy. My check in is tomorrow but I'm fairly certain I've put on weight this week. I've been good other than that I just don't know why the weight won't shift this time round.

Just popping my head in to say hi, was hoping there might be a healthy eating/weight loss thread here somewhere! Have just started a proper effort at losing some weight as I'm currently the heaviest I've ever been and I'm really starting to feel it in terms of moving around. It's been 2 weeks so far and I've lost 6lb, 3lb each week, through basic calorie counting using MFP. That said, I always find the first bit easiest to lose, so I'm under no illusion that it'll carry on so well 😐 . This week is PMS week for me too so I'm finding I'm hungry all the time.
Will have a proper read through the rest of the thread when I get a mo!

Reactions: 7
I’m struggling massively with binge eating lately. I don’t think it’s ever been this bad. I can’t go two days on my calorie deficit without ending up bingeing on the third. I can’t even do a week of weight loss.

I’m so angry with myself. It’s always in the middle of the night. Just now I ate 2x pieces of white bread, 3 biscuits, a twix, packet of crisps, 2 fibre bars and some haribo all within 5 minutes. I hate it because I don’t even enjoy the food. Those of you that suffer with binge tendencies will know it’s not about enjoying it it’s just about filling that emptiness for a few minutes.

i don’t even know what to do anymore. This has been going on back and forth since Christmas and I can’t break the cycle. I haven’t lost a pound since Christmas I seemed to have somehow maintained my weight which is a miracle but i can’t continue like this 😭😭

I get anxious beforehand because I can feel a binge coming on then anxious afterwards because I’m so stressed with the vicious cycle. For a minute I genuinely contemplated laxatives or making myself sick. I’ve never done either of those I was just in a desperate state. I won’t do it but it’s kind of worrying me.

Stepping out of my Due-on-tomorrow and limping self pity for a moment;

That sounds like you're craving warmth and sweetness in terms of carbs. Could you be a) restricting too much, so your blood sugar is down, b) not satisfying your real hunger with protein and good fat, plus more 'useful' carbs so you're still feeling unsatisfied or c) not making sure that you have things that you are happy eating because you've bought all the grab-in-a-second stuff instead?

I've made a point of not cutting out any food groups for a change - going cold turkey from carbs can mean after feeling tit for 2 days, no carb is safe from me. I have always got rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, peppers, cherry tomatoes and small crispbreads around; I've also got plenty of protein (mostly eggs, admittedly) at hand, along with some relatively nutrient rich fat sources around (Avocados, small packs of assorted cheeses, Ziplocs with Brazils, pine nuts and crunchy peanut butter). As it is, I've left enough over today that I can have a smoothie with half a banana, frozen berries and a splosh of Kefir for some protein/calcium in a minute, as I'm feeling like I would be hungry later if I didn't have it. And when I can feel the urge for a blow out, I've started preparing by boiling up half a dozen eggs, for example, as if I can't handle preparing something but need to eat NOW, I can always manage to shell them.

I'd also wonder whether somebody's behaviour is upsetting you/making you feel uncared for/unsafe? Or (and this isn't meant tritely) is lockdown getting to you?

It's a tough time of year at the best of times. And this year is most definitely not the best of times.

Oh, good grief. Mr D is making my stick blender squeal like an overexcited six year old. Reckon I'll be in the market for a Nutribullet at this rate. Back soon. Possibly asking for blender recommendations as well as foot wear, insoles and battlefield repairs for limbs.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.