Weight Loss and Healthy Living #10 Tattlers Transformation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I eat pretty much everything, chicken and red meat is key as they suspected anaemia as my blood was abnormal range.
But my bad trait is I skip breakfast or if I do eat, it’s very minimal.
---

Good idea thanks!
---

Thank you!
I don't think not eating breakfast is a bad trait, not everyone agrees that it is the most important meal of the day.

I have only recently started eating "breakfast" because I've started a new job and up by 5.30 at the latest. I don't actually eat until after 8am when I get into the office.

Take a look at what you are eating and snacking on and portion size, those were my issues I was eating too much crap at night when I was bored. I would try recording what you eat on the fitbit app or myfitnesspal to see how many calories you consume every day and slowly reduce it.

In the summer I have salads for lunch with chicken or (a small amount) of cheese. Salad is very low calorie but filling as you can eat more of it. It is full of fibre so you might have a change in erm toilet habits when you first start.

Reactions: 3
Does anyone use happyscale and is it worth the subscription? I just started using the free trial and will be billed in a few days but I really like it so far - I really like that there is milestones so that your weight loss doesn’t seem such a massive task to do all at once! I know I should be setting small goals in my mind anyway but it’s easier to do when it’s in front of you.
I wish there was a weight loss app that was rewards based, like a game! The more you lose the more resources you get, or customisations for a character etc. you could get rewards by sticking to healthy habits like drinking water and so on. Anyway enough of my ideas 😂

• Haha
Does anyone use happyscale and is it worth the subscription? I just started using the free trial and will be billed in a few days but I really like it so far - I really like that there is milestones so that your weight loss doesn’t seem such a massive task to do all at once! I know I should be setting small goals in my mind anyway but it’s easier to do when it’s in front of you.
I wish there was a weight loss app that was rewards based, like a game! The more you lose the more resources you get, or customisations for a character etc. you could get rewards by sticking to healthy habits like drinking water and so on. Anyway enough of my ideas 😂
Sounds fun but I think unfortunately for some it could be really problematic 😬

Haven't use happy scale myself, what does it do?

The thing about sugar free fizzy drinks like Diet Coke and diet Fanta is they are linked to insulin confusion with regular use. I know some people in the medical field who swear they wouldn't have diet drinks but just the regular version the odd time as its less damaging. I suppose if not consumed regularly, its harder to chug loads of cola than it is diet cola.

It's a tough habit to break, I know because I was a really bad addict for most of my life. I went cold turkey two years ago, it was hard but I just needed that clean break. I was struggling with inflammation due to a long term illness and read how diet soft drinks increase inflammation. After 2 months I had a can of Diet Coke and didn't bother to finish it. Realised it was the caffeine I was craving. I now limit soft drinks to maybe once or twice a week, if that. I never buy multipacks since I don't want to be tempted. I think my cravings for sugary things have overall gone down and I'm not as bloated.

Reactions: 5
I didn’t get weighed this week, I had a bad case of snacking over the last 4 days due to my period so I didn’t want to see my weight potentially go up 😂😂

My gym is hot, like the air con is basically non existent, which is making me struggle to enjoy my workouts and I’m leaving the gym in under an hour. it’s only going to get warmer over the next few weeks so I do need to get used to it but it’s hard 🥵

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Could you go to the gym first thing or last thing at night? It might be cooler then? My gym air con broke a couple of weeks ago and it was so hard lifting weights so I’m with you on the trying to workout in the heat. No fun at all.

I go at 8am and it’s already hot then. People have complained about the crap air-con since last year so I guess it’s an issue they haven’t fully fixed after all this time.
I hate being hot and sweaty in the summer especially since I sweat more than the average person due to medication, but I’m definitely one of the people who likes winter and being cold haha.

The thing about sugar free fizzy drinks like Diet Coke and diet Fanta is they are linked to insulin confusion with regular use. I know some people in the medical field who swear they wouldn't have diet drinks but just the regular version the odd time as its less damaging. I suppose if not consumed regularly, its harder to chug loads of cola than it is diet cola.

It's a tough habit to break, I know because I was a really bad addict for most of my life. I went cold turkey two years ago, it was hard but I just needed that clean break. I was struggling with inflammation due to a long term illness and read how diet soft drinks increase inflammation. After 2 months I had a can of Diet Coke and didn't bother to finish it. Realised it was the caffeine I was craving. I now limit soft drinks to maybe once or twice a week, if that. I never buy multipacks since I don't want to be tempted. I think my cravings for sugary things have overall gone down and I'm not as bloated.
There isn't really any solid evidence about negative impacts of diet drinks, in particular the insulin stuff just isn't true

What definitely has negative health impacts is being obese so if anyone finds it helpful to have diet drinks to shift the weight then that shouldn't be an issue. Positive effects from weight loss would outweigh any potential negative effects from drinks

I don't think not eating breakfast is a bad trait, not everyone agrees that it is the most important meal of the day.

I have only recently started eating "breakfast" because I've started a new job and up by 5.30 at the latest. I don't actually eat until after 8am when I get into the office.

Take a look at what you are eating and snacking on and portion size, those were my issues I was eating too much crap at night when I was bored. I would try recording what you eat on the fitbit app or myfitnesspal to see how many calories you consume every day and slowly reduce it.

In the summer I have salads for lunch with chicken or (a small amount) of cheese. Salad is very low calorie but filling as you can eat more of it. It is full of fibre so you might have a change in erm toilet habits when you first start.
I find if I eat breakfast I’m hungry sooner, if I skip it I’m quite content til lunch!

I find if I eat breakfast I’m hungry sooner, if I skip it I’m quite content til lunch!
I'm the same. I think people should identify when they are personally the hungriest and aim to leave some calories for then. I'm more hungry in the evenings and if I'm starving, i can't sleep which in turn affects my motivation for diet and exercise. So I don't eat much in the morning and eat more dinner time !

The evidence on whether diet drinks are fine or harmful seems mixed, there doesn't seem to be concrete evidence either way. Lots of studies into them haven't been able to control for other factors - there's a few from the States for example where they say things like 'over time, those who drank diet drinks gained more weight than those who didn't' when there's obviously a whole issue of cause vs correlation there. To be honest, as someone who works with a lot of medical professionals, I actually would take with a pinch of salt any medic who says things like 'I avoid diet drinks and would rather drink a full sugar one now and again'. The medical degree in this country as regulated by the GMC provides next to no nutritional education, and plenty of medics in my social circles smoke, take drugs, are obese, etc. Not to mention that full sugar drinks are absolutely terrible for your teeth and my own dentist has even told me to try to stop drinking diet drinks as they're harmful too.

I think stuff like this is a kind of 'pick your battle'. Maybe they're not the best for you, but if it staves off the sweet tooth and you need to lose weight for your health, then take the hit. I'm the same with sugar free syrups in my coffee, I'm never going to give it up and I've made my peace with that. That being said I do agree with @Tove_drew that if you try to give up diet coke for a month it ends up tasting very weird and unpleasant. I did this for lent a few years ago having suffered a terrible diet coke addiction most of my life and now I can't stand it. I genuinely prefer water now.

The evidence on whether diet drinks are fine or harmful seems mixed, there doesn't seem to be concrete evidence either way. Lots of studies into them haven't been able to control for other factors - there's a few from the States for example where they say things like 'over time, those who drank diet drinks gained more weight than those who didn't' when there's obviously a whole issue of cause vs correlation there. To be honest, as someone who works with a lot of medical professionals, I actually would take with a pinch of salt any medic who says things like 'I avoid diet drinks and would rather drink a full sugar one now and again'. The medical degree in this country as regulated by the GMC provides next to no nutritional education, and plenty of medics in my social circles smoke, take drugs, are obese, etc. Not to mention that full sugar drinks are absolutely terrible for your teeth and my own dentist has even told me to try to stop drinking diet drinks as they're harmful too.

I think stuff like this is a kind of 'pick your battle'. Maybe they're not the best for you, but if it staves off the sweet tooth and you need to lose weight for your health, then take the hit. I'm the same with sugar free syrups in my coffee, I'm never going to give it up and I've made my peace with that. That being said I do agree with @Tove_drew that if you try to give up diet coke for a month it ends up tasting very weird and unpleasant. I did this for lent a few years ago having suffered a terrible diet coke addiction most of my life and now I can't stand it. I genuinely prefer water now.
Yup exactly that, a lot of the studies are correlational and majority of studies actually found that people either lost weight or stayed the same weight, definitely no weight gain.

Agree on pick your battles. If someone doesn't drink fizzy juice now no one is saying they should start, but if it's a tool they can use to move in the direction they want then they can be really helpful. Better than sugar ones for sure.

I also think the focus in those studies is off because they tend to measure outputs such as 'how often per week do you drink diet drinks' when actually a more important question would be how are they being consumed. When studies report that there's a link between diet drinks and obesity for example it makes me wonder is it that those people consume fast food several times a week and tend to get a Diet Coke with their McDonalds - in which case, arguably it's impossible to tell whether it's the diet drink that's linked to obesity as opposed to the fact those individuals eat a lot of fast food.

• Heart
I'm the same. I think people should identify when they are personally the hungriest and aim to leave some calories for then. I'm more hungry in the evenings and if I'm starving, i can't sleep which in turn affects my motivation for diet and exercise. So I don't eat much in the morning and eat more dinner time !
Yes I am the exact same. Everytime I speak to my nutritionist she asks how am I doing with breakfast, I just want to scream I DONT LIKE BREAKFAST!!!! 😂😂 I don’t see the point in eating for the sake of it if I’m not hungry or even wanting it. I’ve tried, and honestly some times I was gagging because I was forcing it down.

Just to add onto this, I do the same. I basically save my whole days calories for one meal and something sweet after because it works best for me. I've lost a lot of weight doing this but it does take a lot of willpower

Haven't use happy scale myself, what does it do?
It’s just an app that records and tracks weight loss but it breaks it up for you into little milestones based on your goal weight/date! I really like it so far.

Reactions: 1
Just to add onto this, I do the same. I basically save my whole days calories for one meal and something sweet after because it works best for me. I've lost a lot of weight doing this but it does take a lot of willpower
It does but for me it takes way more will power to not have my little evening treat so i think it's fair enough 🤣

Day 3 has been harder, went over by 20 calories so I'm not stressing. Walked to work & back, did half hour on the exercise bike.

Reactions: 2
I’ve had a rubbish few months and put a bit of weight back on so I’m back.
Ordered some new bathroom scales as mine aren’t reliable. Need to move my body more and eat less shite 😂

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.