Weight Loss advice

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I use an app called Nutracheck. It's similar to myfitnesspal but I find it a lot more user friendly.
I 2nd nutracheck, really easy to use. I was advised to go for a loss of 1lb a week as it give you a more manageable calorie limit which I find helps.

Reactions: 1
Hi, does anyone have any tips for starting a calorie deficit diet ? Are there any good apps to help figure how many calories etc ?
Thank you
So you need to calculate your TDEE. These are the basic calories you need to maintain your current weight. If you google this there are lots of sites where you can work this out. It’s just based roughly on height and weight. Once you find that figure you can then work out a deficit.

For example my tdee is around 1700 a day and I currently eat 1200 a day which creates a 500 calories deficit per day. So 3500 calories a week. This tends to give me about a 1.5lb loss a week.

Reactions: 3
Nice oranges are good as snacks, they have few calories and theres a lot of peeling etc so your hands are busy and they are filling. Also hard exercise I've found works as an appetite suppressant. Say if you go out do a bike ride for 2 hours and push yourself theres no way you would then want a big meal when you got in , you would be sick.

online calorie calculator for working out your daily needs and weight loss goals.

Reactions: 2
So glad I stumbled upon this thread!
I've been a serial Slimming Worlder for the past 8 years or so. What I've come to realise in the last few weeks is that I have disordered eating and I'm in a binge / restrict cycle.
I'm not sure if any of you follow TC on Insta, but when she started her recent journey again (not following SW) I was so sure she wouldn't succeed because she was having smoothies for breakfast and SW has it so drummed into you that smoothies are bad. However after seeing her results I'm going to follow her lead, ditch the SW mantra, syns and healthy extras and cut down instead. Because of my distorted image of food, I will need to something that will continue to allow me to restrict and so I will be calorie counting.
I can't wait to have cereal AND a sandwich tomorrow!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I've been a serial Slimming Worlder for the past 8 years or so. What I've come to realise in the last few weeks is that I have disordered eating and I'm in a binge / restrict cycle.
I'm not sure if any of you follow TC on Insta, but when she started her recent journey again (not following SW) I was so sure she wouldn't succeed because she was having smoothies for breakfast and SW has it so drummed into you that smoothies are bad. However after seeing her results I'm going to follow her lead, ditch the SW mantra, syns and healthy extras and cut down instead. Because of my distorted image of food, I will need to something that will continue to allow me to restrict and so I will be calorie counting.
I tried Slimming World once and lasted a month or so. I noticed that people on it regularly come on and off it? There’s something about that that concerned me 🤔

Who is TC?

I hated SW!!! I was there for about 6 weeks, i remember one week i had followed the plan to a t and pretty much just eaten fruit,veg and protein, worked out everyday. So at weigh in i had gained 2 pounds, I got the look and the leader pretty much told me that I cant have ofllowed plan. I told her that I had and had exercised hard so its possibly fluid from my muscles. She told me that the fluid wouldnt cause weight gain and that I need to follow the plan for loss.
Boom next week i had dropped 4 pounds....I left after that as I hated that she had shamed me for following a healthy eating and exercise plan as opposed to her mugshot and limitless pasta diet.

I have a history or disordered eating which id rather not get into but for the past 3 weeks I have been doing one meal a day and exercising 7 days a week. This actually works for me as Im not feeling guilty about eating all the time and I am also in control of what I eat. I dont weigh myself but my clothes fit better and I have lost an inch off my waist and hips and all my bloat has gone.

I love working out at home, I was doing the 21 day fix and had great results with that in the past but I have discovered HAsfit on yt and I am loving their workouts.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Thanks for this thread. I have gained weight in lockdown (in my country we were not allowed out for exercise and I went from doing an active job to be confined into a small home) and want to lose 5 kilos.

I'm trying to eat lots of fruit and vegetables and cut down on alcohol.

Last week I had either yoghurt/fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch and 600-800 cal dinners. Had tea and coffee as normal and drank 3/4 litres of water of day. I also aimed for 10k steps a day and had two days of rest. I lost 9lbs in total. I’m aware a lot of that will be water weight, but regardless I’m glad all the same.
crash dieted for years, find calorie counting and walking daily works for me.

Reactions: 5
Has anyone ever tried the virtual gastric band/ hypnosis apps?
Would love to hear from someone who has used it too! I did one session of hypnosis years ago before I got married and I lost about a stone after it. I also had a CD to listen to at home. Of course I stopped using it after the wedding🙄🙄

Not technically weight loss related, but I noticed new breakouts where I’d not had them for years, eg chest, shoulders. Apparently this is down to my oestrogen going haywire because it can no longer cling to the fat my body kept for the purpose of storing it. I’ve started taking hormone balance vitamins to alleviate this but if you are a work in progress it might be worth doing the same to ready yourself for it.

I am struggling with losing weight. I did SW twice to lose baby weight. I hated group and found the mindset of "syns" to be really negative and guilt inducing. I have recently started cutting back on refined carbs, sugar and alcohol. I feel so much better mentally and much less bloated than before. I am finding it being less about cutting out those food groups (because I have still had some of those things, just much less than before) but recognising how those foods make me feel awful and I feel better eating less of them. I'm hoping weight loss will follow!

Not technically weight loss related, but I noticed new breakouts where I’d not had them for years, eg chest, shoulders. Apparently this is down to my oestrogen going haywire because it can no longer cling to the fat my body kept for the purpose of storing it. I’ve started taking hormone balance vitamins to alleviate this but if you are a work in progress it might be worth doing the same to ready yourself for it.
Ready yourself for what if you don’t mind me asking?

I just want to chime is as a recovering anorexic. When I was recovering they spoke to us about things like slimming world etc and the lady doing it said that the plan is for you to lose weight quickly and put the weight back on because they make money that way. Makes a lot of sense if you think about it, you lose weight so you know it works but the lifestyle isn't sustainable so you put it back on and then you go back to slimming world/ww etc cause you know it worked before.

She also said that they don't account for healthy fats etc. wholemeal toast and avocado etc is too many syns (not 100% sure of the details as I've never done it) but those are healthy foods. "Empty" calories (or less valuable foods which what they like to use with anorexic patients were I was) like kit kats or mugshots are allowed but they don't have near enough nutritional value like beans or avocado would.

I hope that helps a bit!
Thank you for this 😊

Ok so in my heart of hearts I no there is no fast answer but interested to no which weight loosing ways worked for you? Since lockdown I have gained two stone , I feel disgusting and won’t leave the house for fear of people seeing me , any help is much appreciated
It upsets me that you feel like this ☹ You shouldn’t feel disgusting, it’s been a fucked up time for everyone. I too have got to the point where I don’t like to leave the house due to how I feel about myself and how I look in my clothes. I have about 3 stone to lose (so will be about 11st 10lb and am 5ft 5) to be honest if I could get to a comfortable size 14 I would be happy! All my weight is in the middle and I HATE it. I go out but I’m not comfortable or happy unless “I’m covered up”

We will get there, it’s just finding what works for us as individuals

Last edited:
Who is TC please xx

I’m an ex SWer who also struggled badly with binging in the aftermath. I know several people who lost a lot of weight on SW. 6-10 stone each kinda thing. They’ve all put it back on and more.

I’m having great success with the new WW plan. Didn’t much like it back in the day with pro points. It’s now like calorie counting for idiots plus a bit of a shove towards healthier food, so high protein stuff is low point but on the whole it’s very balanced and nothing is off limits. We have Domino’s and McDonald’s at least once a week if we fancy it, eat healthily the rest of the time, and always lose as long as daily and weekly points are stuck to. We’ve even had the odd weekend where I’ve gone over my total points for the week and still lost. I find it much easier than cal counting because I get so hungry as I just eat junk - if a banana and a Freddo are both 100 cal I’d always choose the Freddo, but on WW I’d have the banana as it’s 0 points and more filling for example. I haven’t binged once on WW as I don’t feel restricted at all and all food I want to eat is easily incorporated into the plan.

I’m sure it won’t be for everyone and some will have had bad experiences etc but just wanted to add a perspective! Best thing I’ve done tbh.

Also an ex SW're. For me personally it has always really worked. I always approached it with sense ie just because something is "free" doesn't mean I can really eat ten of them!! I struggled with the maintenance side of it a bit. The main issue for me was I did find it restricting and boring as hell. Once novelty wears off it can be very mundane. I didn't stay to groups etc because I couldn't deal with the clappy clappy rubbish. I don't have a huge amount to lose (maybe half a stone) so will just do calorie counting. I've joined my fitness pal. Really motivating me to exercise because it will give me more daily calories to eat. I'm really looking forward to going for a massive walk next week then going out for food. I will have banked extra calories that will allow for that. That was something that wasn't really achievable on SW because eating out was jacket potato and salad mostly which isnt really a treat. Nice to see this thread. Good luck everyone.

Ready yourself for what if you don’t mind me asking?
I meant the breakouts. I’m on a very low calorie diet where the weight has dropped quite fast. What this has meant is the oestrogen that was sitting in my more stubborn fat is now homeless, and causing breakouts and irritation. I didn’t know this would happen so just sharing it in case anyone else encounters the same problem with their weight loss.

Who is TC please xx
Hi I believe it’s Tilly Cutler, she’s on Instagram and YouTube

(hope I’ve replied to this ok, I rarley post usually lurk but thought it would be polite to answer as I knew who the OP was referring to!)