Weight Loss advice

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just popping on the thread to say:

PLEASE don't do any diets that mean you're only eating one meal a day!! It will mess up your digestive system because your body gets used to not digesting food. I had anorexia and did this and now I have IBS as a result.

I think the best weight loss strategy is honestly a lifestyle change with an everything in moderation attitude. If you deny yourself something you're going to desperately want it. Either have a small bit, substitute it for something (for example, if you really like chocolate bars, try having a chocolate and nut cereal bar. It's not the same thing but it will satisfy the sweet craving and it is healthier) or cut down to once a day or tell yourself that you're only going to have it on weekends. (this works well with fizzy drinks and ice cream imo - nothing better than a Saturday night in with treats). It takes 21 days to break a habit so it really is going to be trial and error for what works for you.

Work with what you are as a person. Some people do not like breakfast, if you don't that's fine. Don't force it. I hate eating breakfast and I tried for ages to eat a healthy one at breakfast time. Now I normally have chocolate milkshake or nothing until around an hour and half later and then try some fruit or a cereal bar, or a healthy wrap. I still eat my healthy breakfast but I eat it as an evening snack. Still got the nutrition but not at the time where I hate it. If you force it you're just going to miserable. -also I find that if I eat breakfast 1. I'm hungrier throughout my day and 2. I can only have a few mouthfuls before I start to feel sick which is just pointless.

Don't look at the number on the scale, especially if you're weight lifting. I'm actually the heaviest I've ever been but I'm also the smallest and most toned. Measure inches if you want to but what's most important is how you feel (and to a degree how your clothes fit)

also on comfort eating, I can't remember the poster who said it but you absolutely can seek help for comfort eating. There's a reason that we eat for comfort and it's probably not your fault. Think about it, when you were a kid and you got an injection/went to hospital/had to have something done in the dentist, afterwards they give you a lollipop, or you'd be bought sweets etc. It's ingrained in you that food is a comfort. It comes with so much shame as well which is just so unhelpful. Remember that if you are comfort eating, then you do need the comfort so don't be nasty to yourself about it because you need it and that is the time you deserve the most love and care.

I'll be really honest about my own experiences with comfort eating. I ate McDonald's a lot (I'm talking almost every day, even if it was just some chips or whatever. I still struggle with this but it's a bit better now). Even at the worst of my anorexia I still ate McDonalds so, during a therapy session I went mental cause I'd had enough of feeling like I was addicted and having no control over it. We established that the reason I eat it so much is because when I was kid no one spent any time with me, food was just sort of thrown my way and it was always something that could just be chucked in the oven or the microwave. We never ate together. We didn't even own a dining table. I don't remember ever seeing my parents eat. They certainly never made healthy family meals.
After my parents split, once a week when my dad would pick me up from school and we'd go to McDonald's. It was the only time anyone ever sat with me and actually spent any time with me. It's really no wonder why it's such a comfort to me as an adult. Sounds airy-fairy but after I realised this, I really did just let it go and forgave myself for it. It's just what I need while I work on other things and it'll fall into place when I've sorted out the other stuff.

I didn't mean for this to be so long but it properly breaks my heart to see everyone on here beating themselves up. once again, don't want to sound like an airy fairy twit but please try and be kinder to yourselves and remember that you're not bad for eating food. There's no such thing as bad foods. There's just food with less value than other foods. Forgive yourself for not eating perfectly, it's okay. Just pick yourself up and try again for the next meal/snack ❤

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 27
Off the wagon. I have officially gone into ‘duck it, it’s Christmas’ mode. Eating whatever I want and I don’t feel bad about it because this has been a tit year.

Once I have some real optimism for 2021 (which I’m hoping there will be soon), in January I’m gonna work on eating healthier again but until that point it’s gonna be a food free for all and I’m not sorry 😂

Reactions: 3
Off the wagon. I have officially gone into ‘duck it, it’s Christmas’ mode. Eating whatever I want and I don’t feel bad about it because this has been a tit year.

Once I have some real optimism for 2021 (which I’m hoping there will be soon), in January I’m gonna work on eating healthier again but until that point it’s gonna be a food free for all and I’m not sorry 😂
I am too, I’m feeling really bad about it though 😭 I’m too scared to weigh myself but all my clothes (and pyjamas 😔) are feeling much tighter. I gain so easily! I feel horrible, I wish I could just relax and enjoy it 😬

• Sad
Reactions: 1
I am too, I’m feeling really bad about it though 😭 I’m too scared to weigh myself but all my clothes (and pyjamas 😔) are feeling much tighter. I gain so easily! I feel horrible, I wish I could just relax and enjoy it 😬
Please don’t feel bad, we all have so much on our plates at the moment. We all deserve to enjoy ourselves a bit where we can.

You are always so kind and compassionate to others in your comments on here as other threads, save some of that kindness for yourself ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Please don’t feel bad, we all have so much on our plates at the moment. We all deserve to enjoy ourselves a bit where we can.

You are always so kind and compassionate to others in your comments on here as other threads, save some of that kindness for yourself ❤
Thank you that’s really kind to you. I will try 😬xx

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I've just joined weight watchers after gaining 4 stone over the past 2 years. I had mild depression and what I can now see was a breakdown of some sort. It was really hard to recognise all of that when I was "in it" but I've recently started to come out the other side and part of my recovery is addressing my weight gain.
Nothing extreme, I'm currently 18 stone and I would like to get to 12 stone as I have been stable at that weight and didn't feel like it was too restrictive. I'm not putting a time goal in place, the only marker is that I attend a festival in the Summer (fingers crossed cos Covid!) and I would like to be somewhat healthier by then.
I use to run, so I am hoping to start that again but need to lose some weight first as I know that it will lead to injury.
I requested a new smartwatch for Xmas off the hubby, a Fitbit Versa 3, as I know something new and shiny will give me motivation. I also have my eye on some new trainers. Already I'm trying to remove the physical and mental obstacles I know that I will use to self sabotage.
I'm here if anyone else wants to share advice and experiences. I'll be checking in from time to time, if that's ok?
Hate the slogan as I think it's insincere sometimes but I do mean this and remind myself daily of it frequently........Be Kind, especially to yourself ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I've just joined weight watchers after gaining 4 stone over the past 2 years. I had mild depression and what I can now see was a breakdown of some sort. It was really hard to recognise all of that when I was "in it" but I've recently started to come out the other side and part of my recovery is addressing my weight gain.
Nothing extreme, I'm currently 18 stone and I would like to get to 12 stone as I have been stable at that weight and didn't feel like it was too restrictive. I'm not putting a time goal in place, the only marker is that I attend a festival in the Summer (fingers crossed cos Covid!) and I would like to be somewhat healthier by then.
I use to run, so I am hoping to start that again but need to lose some weight first as I know that it will lead to injury.
I requested a new smartwatch for Xmas off the hubby, a Fitbit Versa 3, as I know something new and shiny will give me motivation. I also have my eye on some new trainers. Already I'm trying to remove the physical and mental obstacles I know that I will use to self sabotage.
I'm here if anyone else wants to share advice and experiences. I'll be checking in from time to time, if that's ok?
Hate the slogan as I think it's insincere sometimes but I do mean this and remind myself daily of it frequently........Be Kind, especially to yourself ❤
Best of luck to you 💕 people sneer about snartwatches but I found getting one 2 years ago really motivated me to get moving! Be careful with what trainers you buy and for what purpose (running vs weightlifting for example, just because it’s a pair of trainers doesn’t mean you should use them for running etc) x

I've lost 1lb which is good, a loss is a loss but after 4 months I was honestly aiming for a stone 😂 I've no advice, I'm just loving food right now, it's like a big cuddle for when I hate myself for being fat. Strange that 🙄

Reactions: 2
Feeling really good today, especially after I binned the weighing scales. I am by definition a compulsive weigher and I have found that I can get up, feel great, race to the scales only to then find my mood for the day will be dependent on what I see.
I know you should weigh in weekly when you follow WW but I'm gonna pitch it at 2lb loss a week until I feel confident that I can step on the scales and not find the result harmful.
Hope everyone is having a great day ❤

• Heart
I got a versa 2 for my birthday and it definitely encourages me to move!! I asked for new runners and a coat to wear while running for Christmas to get me out. I've 2 under 3 and piled on weight after both and we're getting married in 2 years so I'd like to look my best.
Downloaded nutracheck after seeing recommendations here. Down 7lb in a week 🙌🙌

• Heart
I got a versa 2 for my birthday and it definitely encourages me to move!! I asked for new runners and a coat to wear while running for Christmas to get me out. I've 2 under 3 and piled on weight after both and we're getting married in 2 years so I'd like to look my best.
Downloaded nutracheck after seeing recommendations here. Down 7lb in a week 🙌🙌
That's amazing, well done!

• Heart
I lost two stone this year, but have put one back on since October. I train most days but my eating is all over the shop. I am going to do a fast over the weekend just for Christmas 😂 I can't wait for January to come - I always diet and exercise really well in the spring/summer!

I lost two stone this year, but have put one back on since October. I train most days but my eating is all over the shop. I am going to do a fast over the weekend just for Christmas 😂 I can't wait for January to come - I always diet and exercise really well in the spring/summer!
out of interest, what do you do in the spring/summer that is different to the winter?

out of interest, what do you do in the spring/summer that is different to the winter?
As I'm in uni, it hits Nov and I have deadlines/exams/revision, extra classes etc and, unfortunately for me, I do better work at night when it comes to essays so I pull all nighters! In the days then I'm tired etc, no energy to train.

In the summer I enjoy road running, so I usually do two hours in the gym in the morning and a 3-4k run in the evenings (as long as its dry I love running outside). It's easier then for me to keep to a routine and good habits etc. Plus, I drink a lot more in the winter than what I think I drink in the summer - for example, I stayed completely sober this year between March and August (even when I was going out after lockdown) but for some reason it creeps closer to Christmas and I drink 10 cocktails on a night out 😂 😂 honestly, it's purely accountability and discipline - I am a lot harder on myself in summer and a lot easier on myself in winter.

i have been losing weight but now also got into the christmas duck it mode 😂
i will continue the weight loss journey in 2021

Reactions: 5
I've lost around 30kg over quite a long period of time - probably around 3 years. t came off so slowly that I still find it hard to believe and feel very unaware of my size now. I'm a size 10/12 but often buy 12s that are far too big for me and still won't buy the 10 because in my mind it won't fit. I did it mostly through exercising, more effort to 'move' (walking a lot)

I've had a bad relationship with my weight and eating in the past - I dropped from about a size 16/18 to a size 8/10 when I was 18 over a short period of time basically through daily exercise and a lot of restriction on my eating. My whole family are image obsessed who just went on about how great I looked - even my mum who knew how little I was eating. Then I got depressed and developed hypothyroidism in my 20s so piled a lot of it on again. It wasn't til I got engaged to my husband I was determined to make a more permanent adjustment and thus the very slow weightloss to where I am now.

• Heart
I’ve started going low carb (not strictly low carb but around 100g a day compared to the average 250g!) and have found it has really helped any typical cravings I normally have and dips in energy, particularly after work. I would highly recommend anyone to try it out, even just for a week, to see how it goes. Diet doctor is a really good website. Interestingly, when you look at who created the eatwell guide (the food recommendations in the U.K.) most people on the panel have links with food companies! Kellogg’s, pepsico, nestle.. you name it.. makes you wonder if they really have our health in their best interests 😉

Edit to add.. I also have lost body fat from this. I haven’t weighed myself but my husband has commented that I have lost weight and I can see in a photo I had yesterday there is a difference!

Last edited:
I’ve started going low carb (not strictly low carb but around 100g a day compared to the average 250g!) and have found it has really helped any typical cravings I normally have and dips in energy, particularly after work. I would highly recommend anyone to try it out, even just for a week, to see how it goes. Diet doctor is a really good website. Interestingly, when you look at who created the eatwell guide (the food recommendations in the U.K.) most people on the panel have links with food companies! Kellogg’s, pepsico, nestle.. you name it.. makes you wonder if they really have our health in their best interests 😉
There is a documentary on Netflix called What The Health which looks into the same thing in the US. It’s really interesting. Warning though it will put you off meat if you are a meat eater!

Does anyone have any tips for making yourself stick to a diet/ exercise routine? I've been doing 4 workouts a week on the Shreddy app (using their tone up programme) and eating 1,500 cal a day which I track using nutracheck. I'm mostly trying to loose belly fat and tone up and I'm not so fussed about the number on the scale. For ref I'm currently 5'7 and weigh 10st. I'm definitely not overweight but I do have a bit of excess belly fat that I've had since I was a teenager and I really just want it gone 😂

My main issue seems to be that I just can't stick to doing this plan for more than 2 weeks! Whenever it gets to the weekend I'll try to relax the diet a bit but I usually end up just thinking duck it and I don't track anything at all and end up eating what I want! So then I find that I'm completely demotivated to carry on with the diet or the exercise! It just feels like I'm stuck in this vicious cycle and I'm making absolutely no progress 😢getting super frustrated w myself bc it just feels like I have no willpower.

I'm not dieting now for the Christmas period (but still doing 4 workouts a week) then hoping to get back on it come January with a 'no excuses' mentality. I'm also going to buy a fitbit as hopefully that will motivate me much more if I can see how many cals I'm burning.

Just wondered if anyone has any tips at all? I'm trying to tell myself that it'll be a fresh start in January and I'll only have to do it for 3 months of my life!

Does anyone have any tips for making yourself stick to a diet/ exercise routine? I've been doing 4 workouts a week on the Shreddy app (using their tone up programme) and eating 1,500 cal a day which I track using nutracheck. I'm mostly trying to loose belly fat and tone up and I'm not so fussed about the number on the scale. For ref I'm currently 5'7 and weigh 10st. I'm definitely not overweight but I do have a bit of excess belly fat that I've had since I was a teenager and I really just want it gone 😂

My main issue seems to be that I just can't stick to doing this plan for more than 2 weeks! Whenever it gets to the weekend I'll try to relax the diet a bit but I usually end up just thinking duck it and I don't track anything at all and end up eating what I want! So then I find that I'm completely demotivated to carry on with the diet or the exercise! It just feels like I'm stuck in this vicious cycle and I'm making absolutely no progress 😢getting super frustrated w myself bc it just feels like I have no willpower.

I'm not dieting now for the Christmas period (but still doing 4 workouts a week) then hoping to get back on it come January with a 'no excuses' mentality. I'm also going to buy a fitbit as hopefully that will motivate me much more if I can see how many cals I'm burning.

Just wondered if anyone has any tips at all? I'm trying to tell myself that it'll be a fresh start in January and I'll only have to do it for 3 months of my life!
I think that might be where you’re going wrong, seeing it as only a portion of your life. You have to make it sustainable to your life. It’s never a short term fix, it has to be a balance forever. If you are consistent in eating well generally and exercising then the odd day of overeating shouldn’t do any harm. I do absolutely know where you’re coming from though, I successfully lost weight and kept it off by making it a lifestyle but since my parents died I just keep going from being on it to being off it and gaining weight. I know what works I just can’t seem to stick to it at the moment. But I do believe that’s the key, a lifestyle change, not a temporary fix x