Weight Loss advice

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ah yeah it is kind of like I want it to make the day feel a bit more eventful too! Like it’s something to do to eat a takeaway 😬 would love a baileys right now 😩

I do feel a bit like maybe we shouldn’t be too hard on ourselves though, it’s a weird time, if food is a bit of enjoyment then I don’t wanna deny myself too much. Hoping I can just reign it in enough to maintain until Christmas when I will eat my weight in chocolate 🍫
Indeed! It’s been such an awful year and lockdown 2 is ugh! I’m trying to find that balance too so it’s not too catastrophic in the new year and I can still at least fit in my joggers 😄 but if I need something I’m having it! McDonald’s for lunch tomorrow, this is all I have to look forward to nowadays! X

Reactions: 1
Sorry to hear you are struggling.
Do you have help with comfort eating? Would it be a possibilty to start and get some help with that first and then go and see a dietician, maybe one that specializes in that?
And maybe start with cutting out the Coca cola and try replacing it with fizzy water. It will take some time because of the addiction to caffeine but really worth it.
I don’t have any help with comfort eating as I’d be so embarrassed seeking help for this, but maybe I should? I think I honestly need hypnotising or something at this rate!! I didn’t even realise you could really get help for it.

I think take it slow and steady. Don’t put yourself on another diet, that just makes us feel restricted and then we want to rebel. Don’t cut out all the things you love, just start off by cutting down. I love coke too it’s my favourite drink. I don’t know how much you drink of it now but say it’s 2 or 3 cans, just cut out one a day for a bit and then work your way down. So maybe your day could look a bit more structured. What could you eat that you’d enjoy for breakfast? What about a chocolatey porridge, or even a cereal just so you’re eating one thing instead of snacking. What would you enjoy for lunch? Even if it’s a sandwich, some crisps and a chocolate?

I found it really important to just do it very gradually and it really worked. When I first started losing weight I still allowed myself something nice every day so there was always something to look forward to and I didn’t feel like I was just eating boring foods. I committed to moving my body 3x a week for at least 30 mins. After around 4 weeks I built up momentum so then I found I actually wanted to eat less stodgy food and I wanted to exercise more. I think where so many people fall down is going from how we have been to trying to be a saint and it’s just unrealistic. Small changes that are sustainable lead to long term results. Good luck, I know it’s really hard xx
This really is such great help, thank you so much for your response. I’ve kind of figured whatever I eat from now on will be a calorie deficit anyway for a while as I was over eating beforehand by a long shot I’m sure (I dread to think!) I have managed to go 3 days without Coke (I was drinking well over 1.5-2L a day and no water 😬) and the drop in sugar and caffeine has been so hard and I’ve felt so tired but I know it’ll be worth it and my poor kidneys will thank me for it. I ate a full brunch and a hearty dinner and had loads of water today and some hot chocolate to satisfy some cravings and hopefully I can continue this kind of mindset. Thank you so much again, it’s so nice to know gradually easing in has worked for you as I definitely cannot do strict/restrictive diets, my mind just wants to eat everything in sight!! And knowing I can still treat myself definitely helps too Xx

Since you already say you don't like breakfast, just drink tea or coffee (black, no milk or sugar) and don't eat until dinner. That is called intermediate fasting and already saves you calories. Try having a salad with grilled chicken. I used to make my husband grill me chicken every Sunday so I could add it to my salad for the week. Maybe you can have a diet coke instead of regular. And that could be something to look forward to, like have one with tea. I find sometimes to get started it helps me to fast for a day or two. No food, just lots of water and tea. It sounds crazy but it really helps get your body off the sugar and is really not as hard as it sounds.
I know it all sounds easy in theory but is really hard. Take pictures of yourself before and then every week or so take pictures to compare. It really helps to get you motivated. Even if it is hard to take that first initial picture. Good luck, you can do this xx
I have always liked the idea of intermediate fasting and have lost a fair bit of weight on the 5/2 diet before in the first couple of weeks (my dad is a full on advocate of this and has done it for years!) but it never works for me as I get seriously horrendous migraines even after a couple of weeks and I just cannot cope with it. I have also tried the only eating in certain windows I.e between 12-6 and I think this works better but also leads to late night binges. I may have to kick start myself by having a couple of days of pure liquids to be honest, thank you so much for your response it’s really helpful hearing people’s tips and tricks as I’m open to anything at this rate !! Xx

Last edited:
I don’t have any help with comfort eating as I’d be so embarrassed seeking help for this, but maybe I should? I think I honestly need hypnotising or something at this rate!! I didn’t even realise you could really get help for it.

This really is such great help, thank you so much for your response. I’ve kind of figured whatever I eat from now on will be a calorie deficit anyway for a while as I was over eating beforehand by a long shot I’m sure (I dread to think!) I have managed to go 3 days without Coke (I was drinking well over 1.5-2L a day and no water 😬) and the drop in sugar and caffeine has been so hard and I’ve felt so tired but I know it’ll be worth it and my poor kidneys will thank me for it. I ate a full brunch and a hearty dinner and had loads of water today and some hot chocolate to satisfy some cravings and hopefully I can continue this kind of mindset. Thank you so much again, it’s so nice to know gradually easing in has worked for you as I definitely cannot do strict/restrictive diets, my mind just wants to eat everything in sight!! And knowing I can still treat myself definitely helps too Xx

I have always liked the idea of intermediate fasting and have lost a fair bit of weight on the 5/2 diet before in the first couple of weeks (my dad is a full on advocate of this and has done it for years!) but it never works for me as I get seriously horrendous migraines even after a couple of weeks and I just cannot cope with it. I have also tried the only eating in certain windows I.e between 12-6 and I think this works better but also leads to late night binges. I may have to kick start myself by having a couple of days of pure liquids to be honest, thank you so much for your response it’s really helpful hearing people’s tips and tricks as I’m open to anything at this rate !! Xx
Have you tried 16:8 rather than 5:2 so you fast up to 16 hours a day and only eat in an 8 hour window which isn't too hard once you get used to it. So I tend not to eat until either 11 or 12 and then stop either 7 or 8pm. I also am following exante at the moment so getting bigger losses but yeah it means your body is still benefitting from daily fasting and normally cuts out being able to have that evening chocolate or wine unless you wait until later in the day to eat x

finding it sooo hard at the moment with motivation to exercise and eat well. keep comfort eating/ staying indoors and not venturing out for daily runs (managed to do that in the last lockdown- think due to the nicer weather!)
anyone else just feel out of control when they can't seem to reign in their eating habits?

Hi @Sailorontheseasea , I'm no expert in a professional sense but I can empathise with a lot of what you've written and can recognise a lot of what I used to think / feel / do in your posts. I'd really recommend looking at Intuitive Eating, as I think the principles would help with some of the dieting behaviours, and help you to get more in touch with what your body wants and needs over the longer-term. Have a look at this book and perhaps follow the authors and other IE practitioners on social media?

I am an emotional eater who has struggled with my weight most of my life. I am on an anti-depressant that didn’t work alone so I take prescribed Lithium too. As with so many of us I’m sure, lockdown compounded by depression and I’ve been eating worse than ever. I eventually psyched myself up to go back to the gym and used My Fitness Pal to track my calories. Disappointingly, over an 8-week period, I stated exactly the same.

I have a lot of weight to lose so had hoped to have had a great start. The PT had heard that Lithium can affect the weight-loss process and the worst thing about that is, I don’t even feel great mentally with being on this combination - if I was feeling stable to happy rather than miserable, it would be easier to take.

I spoke to my Doctor and she (couldn’t really be bothered with me but still) prescribed Olistat. I’m scared to take them, because of the side effects. I know I have to have a really low fat diet and if I stick to that, I shouldn’t get side effects. But it’s daunting. My want to lose weight is great but the thought of my crutch (food) being taken away is also great. I’m speaking to the Psychiatrist who oversees my medication etc tomorrow and I’ll see what she says.

Does anyone have any experience of Orilstat they’d be willing to share? ETA I haven’t read the whole thread yet so apologies if this has been discussed previously.

• Heart
I am an emotional eater who has struggled with my weight most of my life. I am on an anti-depressant that didn’t work alone so I take prescribed Lithium too. As with so many of us I’m sure, lockdown compounded by depression and I’ve been eating worse than ever. I eventually psyched myself up to go back to the gym and used My Fitness Pal to track my calories. Disappointingly, over an 8-week period, I stated exactly the same.

I have a lot of weight to lose so had hoped to have had a great start. The PT had heard that Lithium can affect the weight-loss process and the worst thing about that is, I don’t even feel great mentally with being on this combination - if I was feeling stable to happy rather than miserable, it would be easier to take.

I spoke to my Doctor and she (couldn’t really be bothered with me but still) prescribed Olistat. I’m scared to take them, because of the side effects. I know I have to have a really low fat diet and if I stick to that, I shouldn’t get side effects. But it’s daunting. My want to lose weight is great but the thought of my crutch (food) being taken away is also great. I’m speaking to the Psychiatrist who oversees my medication etc tomorrow and I’ll see what she says.

Does anyone have any experience of Orilstat they’d be willing to share? ETA I haven’t read the whole thread yet so apologies if this has been discussed previously.
Hi Lenny. From what you’ve described my experience sounds quite similar. I convinced my doctor to prescribe me Orlistat but didn’t end up taking it precisely for the reasons you’ve said. I don’t really have anything useful to offer in way of weight loss advice but can empathise with the fear of giving up certain foods (usually fatty!) that provide the emotional crutch. The only thing I can think of is although it doesn’t solve your weight loss desire immediately, perhaps working on finding other ways of coping so the need for certain foods isn’t so great before focussing on the weight loss?

• Heart
Today I hit my lowest weight I’ve ever been! really pleased to have shifted the weight that I’d put on. Trying to stay on track till Christmas so I can have some treats.

ideally would like to lose another half a stone but I’m well within healthy weight for my height so not so much pressure now

Reactions: 16
Today I hit my lowest weight I’ve ever been! really pleased to have shifted the weight that I’d put on. Trying to stay on track till Christmas so I can have some treats.

ideally would like to lose another half a stone but I’m well within healthy weight for my height so not so much pressure now
how did you do it? Please spare NO details... the good the bad and the ugly.. really struggling withgaining weight in lockdown

Reactions: 4
how did you do it? Please spare NO details... the good the bad and the ugly.. really struggling withgaining weight in lockdown
nothing special just your average calorie deficit. I still have chocolate and crisps and treats along with healthier foods. I drink about 3 litres of water a day and aim for 10k steps every day. That’s really it tbh. :)

Totally understand how hard it is I have struggled with my weight since I was a teenager! At my heaviest I was 17 stone Once you start to see changes that’s when it becomes easier. The first couple of weeks are hard but it’s motivating once your clothes begin to fit differently. The key is not to restrict. Work out a calorie deficit and factor in the things you love!

Reactions: 4
Hi! Has anyone tried OMAD diet, or ‘one meal a day’ where you fast for 23 hours (or less) and eat for one hour?

For those interested to learn more about time restricted eating/fasting in the safe and proper way, please look into Dr Jason Fung, he is a nephrologist and author of The Obesity Code. He explains the hormonal science behind weight gain and debunks what we have always been told about calories in vs calories out. I was skeptical at first too. Lots of videos on YouTube, podcasts with Megan Ramos. There’s also a FB group “the fasting method network” with people who are generally very supportive and knowledgeable.

Reactions: 2
I would also recommend “Just Eat It” by Laura Thomas. Most diets fail because we restrict and our brains literally think there is a food shortage, so make up for it by binging. This book really helped me to see that and it’s really practical and full of advice and tips as to how to learn to see food as fuel and eat intuitively.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
What are peoples thoughts on weight watchers?
I spent a while on WW this year, my partner is still doing it while I’ve swapped to cal counting. I found it an ok plan, however it didn’t give me enough food at all and also, I really hated that because they try to put you off some foods and steer you towards others, some stuff has unreasonably high points. Like chocolate even small bars, could be 126 calories and 7 points when you only get 30 points a day! I find it a healthier mindset now I’m on calories, everything is equal so I crave junk food a lot less. My partner (male and has a lot to lose) has done really well on it though.

Reactions: 3
What are peoples thoughts on weight watchers?
I much prefer WW to SW. No food is really out of bounds And it teaches you more about portion control and I think more sustainable long term. I was doing really well with it a cpl years back but then was in a car accident and fell right off the wagon. Only recently have I had the focus to concentrate on my weight loss again but going it alone and just doing a calorie deficit and eating sensibly. So far so good.
Good luck :)

How does everyone get their steps in when it’s dark all the time 😩 I’m really struggling and it completely makes the calorie cutting worthless as I’m not moving enough to create a defecit! I do a long walk at the weekend plus a run and do workouts in the evenings during the week but I struggle to get more than 3000 steps some days. I work from home, live in a bungalow and can’t really leave my desk during the day. I really hate walking on my own at night after I was assaulted last year when I was out on my own (on public transport at midnight but still) and my partner isn’t always that enthusiastic about walking in the cold and dark with me! Which I can’t blame him for really.

How does everyone get their steps in when it’s dark all the time 😩 I’m really struggling and it completely makes the calorie cutting worthless as I’m not moving enough to create a defecit! I do a long walk at the weekend plus a run and do workouts in the evenings during the week but I struggle to get more than 3000 steps some days. I work from home, live in a bungalow and can’t really leave my desk during the day. I really hate walking on my own at night after I was assaulted last year when I was out on my own (on public transport at midnight but still) and my partner isn’t always that enthusiastic about walking in the cold and dark with me! Which I can’t blame him for really.
I try (some days!) to do 2-3 minutes of walking on the spot or around the house every hour and that soon racks up. There‘s also indoor walking videos on youtube for when it’s too miserable to get outside

I find it hard getting steps in as well as it gets dark so early, all I can suggest is getting up earlier to do it or on your lunch break doing some. You should be taking breaks from your work computer anyways and even if it’s 15 minutes x 2 you’d be surprised the distance you can cover

I am about 12.9 stone and it really is getting me down, doesn't help that its at the time of year where you just want to eat, drink and be merry! Have no idea where to start. If i could lose 2 stone I would be happy. The only exercise I really get now is walking to and from work which really isn't that far, about 10 mins and over two foot bridges. If I could cut out the snacks then i would be flying but I think i eat of being bored! I have no confidence really so I hate the thought of going to the gum, out for walks etc as i worry people would look at me... I have bought an exercise bike but i get so out of breath to the point its uncomfortable after 10mins. Just need a huge kick up the ass. Think being in a content and happy relationship hasn't helped lol maybe he should break up with me for a month so my fat ass can get skinny again!! Nothing quite like a break up diet haha. Just hate looking in the mirror, hate looking at old pictures etc.