Wednesday - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just watching episode one and I really want to like it but the casting feels all wrong and acting is cringey 😫

Reactions: 4
Currently on ep 5 and I'm really enjoying it. Like someone said its like a cool version of Harry Potter. Hope there is a second series.

Reactions: 6
I've just watched over a couple of days, started strong but I did start to get a bit bored in the middle, thought the mystery was fairly obvious. But its really well made and written, which is a bit unusual for Netflix these days. Much is owed to Tim Burton and Danny Elfman who really have created a world you want to be in, with their signature style and atmosphere evident. It has a slight 80s/90s feel and is like what Harry Potter would be if directed by Tim Burton

Reactions: 9
I thought it was crap. Boring, contrived, unoriginal. Weak script and character development. Too similar to other shows (Stranger Things, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, etc)... dull cliché mystery. Dull, cliché back story involving Morticia and Gomez. Seen it all before. I didn't like the supernatural boarding school element either. It took away from Wednesday's weirdness which is what makes her unique.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 10
I thought it was crap. Boring, contrived, unoriginal. Weak script and character development. Too similar to other shows (Stranger Things, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, etc)... dull cliché mystery. Dull, cliché back story involving Morticia and Gomez. Seen it all before. I didn't like the supernatural boarding school element either. It took away from Wednesday's weirdness which is what makes her unique.
I know where you're coming from about originality and it did feel familiar and formulaic so I do agree with you, to a point....but if you like that kind of thing (Sabrina, ST etc) then I think it's still a fun ride, done well, and the trademark Burton vibe gives it a slightly different edge.

Yes, the characters didn't have an awful lot of depth and the plot was simple but I wasn't really expecting intricacy and there was still enough to keep me watching. I loved the stylish cinematography, costumes, soundtrack.....all done so beautifully.

Wednesday didn't totally fit in at Nevermore, hence her and Eugene hanging out together as the different ones....although I agree that, despite her protesting about enjoying her own company/space, Miss Addams didn't struggle with boarding school as much as you might expect.

Her amazing dancing scene (hands-down the best bit of the whole series!) reminded us that she was still weird and different to her peers though, despite all being outcasts.

I was surprised at how much of a softer side we saw of Wednesday though, especially when she thawed at Tyler's advances. In many respects the content felt like other teen, 'coming of age' dramas but I don't think it necessarily suffered because of that.

Overall I liked Ortega's incarnation. She did have more warmth and glamour about her and she didn't feel quite as odd and awkward as Christina Ricci's portrayal but I like them both and don't feel the need to choose between them.

At times this show felt like a super stylish "Scooby Doo" but I still loved it! 😄

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
Wednesday (Addams Family)

'While attending Nevermore Academy, Wednesday Addams attempts to master her emerging psychic ability, thwart a killing spree and solve the mystery that embroiled her parents 25 years ago'

Saw someone online describe it as a 'good spin-off to a childhood classic' and so far I'd agree

Anyone else watching?
Ha! In my mind I answered as "Thing," pointing my first finger up and down! Maybe I am waaaay to much into this!

😂

I loved episode 1 I started it last night, looking forward to the rest of it. Thing was definitely a highlight and that’s really cool it’s an actual person doing that part 😃
Well, a part of a person, if one wants to get technical! 😜

I'm just starting episode 5, very much enjoying it so far. Jenna Ortega is great (I loved her in You). I'm even quite liking Catherine Zeta Jones and I normally dislike her in everything she's in!
As a fun fact, Catherine Zeta Jones and the actor who plays 'Gomez' were in the movie "Traffic" together. I liked her in that. Have you seen that movie and, if so, what was your opinion?

On episode 5
LOVING jenna Ortega as Wednesday she plays it very well, even liking Catherine zeta-jones as Morticia however Luis Guzman as Gomez is missing something for me, growing up on Addams family values I feel Gomez is missing the eccentricness that Raul Julia brought to the character.. I knows it’s 2 different people playing him in both but it just doesn’t feel very Gomez
If you grew up watching the original Addams Family tv show (in black and white!) you may view it differently. Except for physical characteristic differences, Guzman re-creates the core essence of the original Gomez played by John Austin.

Yeah, I'm that old.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 1
I watched it twice over, absolutely loved it. Jenna Ortega was fantastic as Wednesday. Really looking forward to seeing her in the new Scream next year! Can’t wait for a Season 2 of this 🤞🏽

Christina Ricci was a highlight for me too. It was great seeing her - she played Ms Thornhill perfectly and of course the role was perfect for her style of acting/the genre of media she appears in most. I also absolutely adored Catherine Zeta Jones as Morticia. I love her! In Mask of Zorro - wow, one of the most beautiful women alive. Gwendoline Christie was fabulous as Principal Weems too.

Overall, I loved everything about it. The casting, the storyline, the Tim Burton atmosphere, the scenery & characters. Everything kept me interested, and I loved the mystery plot. The monster for me visually could have maybe been better but again it ties into Tim Burton’s usual style/feel so I enjoyed it nonetheless 🥰!

I have to say, even though Wednesday and Enid had two separate love interests, I feel that their hug was the most genuine and romantic moment of the series. Enid was also a highlight of the series for me - I loved her character so much.
Enid’s wolf storyline was so beautiful! The fact that her mother was trying to pressure her into attending camp to help her wolf out was so saddening. She went to save Wednesday not knowing she would wolf out at all, knowing she’d be facing the monster in her human form. I really feel she wolfed out because Wednesday was in danger & feel it’s so special to her storyline as she was struggling with reaching full wolf form before. Their friendship just bloomed so beautifully, it took its time and it felt very real to Wednesday’s personality. The hug at the end of the series was my favourite moment❤ When Wednesday pulled away, then pulled her back & initiated it and closed her eyes - one of the only times in the whole series we see her blink or close her eyes. For me Wednesday & Enid are end game❤ The similarities between the old Addams Family Gomez & Thing and Enid & Thing when Morticia/Wednesday we’re in danger really stuck out to me! Enid seems to also be the only non member of the Addams family who fully understands Thing. That has to be big! I believe it’s because of her connection to Wednesday. Jenna & Emma also want them to be together 🤗

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I watched it twice over, absolutely loved it. Jenna Ortega was fantastic as Wednesday. Really looking forward to seeing her in the new Scream next year! Can’t wait for a Season 2 of this 🤞🏽

Christina Ricci was a highlight for me too. It was great seeing her - she played Ms Thornhill perfectly and of course the role was perfect for her style of acting/the genre of media she appears in most. I also absolutely adored Catherine Zeta Jones as Morticia. I love her! In Mask of Zorro - wow, one of the most beautiful women alive. Gwendoline Christie was fabulous as Principal Weems too.

Overall, I loved everything about it. The casting, the storyline, the Tim Burton atmosphere, the scenery & characters. Everything kept me interested, and I loved the mystery plot. The monster for me visually could have maybe been better but again it ties into Tim Burton’s usual style/feel so I enjoyed it nonetheless 🥰!

I have to say, even though Wednesday and Enid had two separate love interests, I feel that their hug was the most genuine and romantic moment of the series. Enid was also a highlight of the series for me - I loved her character so much.
Enid’s wolf storyline was so beautiful! The fact that her mother was trying to pressure her into attending camp to help her wolf out was so saddening. She went to save Wednesday not knowing she would wolf out at all, knowing she’d be facing the monster in her human form. I really feel she wolfed out because Wednesday was in danger & feel it’s so special to her storyline as she was struggling with reaching full wolf form before. Their friendship just bloomed so beautifully, it took its time and it felt very real to Wednesday’s personality. The hug at the end of the series was my favourite moment❤ When Wednesday pulled away, then pulled her back & initiated it and closed her eyes - one of the only times in the whole series we see her blink or close her eyes. For me Wednesday & Enid are end game❤ The similarities between the old Addams Family Gomez & Thing and Enid & Thing when Morticia/Wednesday we’re in danger really stuck out to me! Enid seems to also be the only non member of the Addams family who fully understands Thing. That has to be big! I believe it’s because of her connection to Wednesday. Jenna & Emma also want them to be together 🤗
Thank you for your post. You summed up for me what i could never put into words👍🏻😁

• Heart
Started it today and only have two more episodes to watch. Love the costumes and make up. Platting my daughter's a la Wednesday for school tomorrow

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Did anyone see that when Wednesday has a vision it's when she touches something or someone related to that vision.At the dance she has a vision about the bee kid but he isnt even there but in an aerial shot you can see Tyler standing next to her and then miss thornhill comes and check on her. Did she get a vision because she touched Tyler? Or is it not that deep?

Late to the party but only started to watch it this week. Absolutely loved it (I’m in my 50’s) and agree felt a bit Harry Potter.

Loved the trailer for the 2nd season using Gaga’s Bloody Mary. Let’s hope that features a j the new season!!