Wedding planning #2 sponsored by our opinionated MILs

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
£125 for a cake topper seems quite extreme, where did you find that? If you are looking for an acrylic cake topper I would have thought no more than £15. Not sure about wooden, but wouldn’t have expected anywhere near that amount.
That’s about standard for the type I was after, it was supposed to be a clay model of me, hubby to be and our dog similar to this

Attachments

Reactions: 1
That’s about standard for the type I was after, it was supposed to be a clay model of me, hubby to be and our dog similar to this
that makes sense ! I was thinking how are they charging that much 😅 can you go through your bank to get. Refund?

that makes sense ! I was thinking how are they charging that much 😅 can you go through your bank to get. Refund?
Sent by PayPal family and friends 🥲 there is loads of brides in the same boat with this lady we are all in a group together on Facebook! I’m not bothered about the money even though it’s a lot to lose I’m just gutted I won’t be getting the topper because her work is so good!

• Sad
My H2B finally sorted his family invites yesterday, he asked his uncle for his new address and the response was ‘party, what about an invite to the wedding. Congrats by the way’

We are only having 4 guests to our wedding, and he only speaks to his uncle perhaps once a year. Needless to say he’s no longer invited 🤣

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
My H2B finally sorted his family invites yesterday, he asked his uncle for his new address and the response was ‘party, what about an invite to the wedding. Congrats by the way’

We are only having 4 guests to our wedding, and he only speaks to his uncle perhaps once a year. Needless to say he’s no longer invited 🤣
Good for him. Some people have some bloody cheek.

I'm looking for some opinions on my hen do please. I am doing a small event with life drawing and afternoon tea, followed by drinks.

I have 9 people going and I have invited three of my longest standing friends, one is my 'honorary' maid of honor. The other two have said they will come, however one has not acknowledged my wedding party invite nor has told me she is coming but she has said she will come to the hen do.

I have already paid the deposit out of my own pockets for the event but asked everyone for £10 just to ensure they were coming as if they are not I have backups (i.e older family etc). One of the two friends text to say could I remind her nearer the time and she will pay, the other absolute silence. Now the deadline is Friday. Our friendship has dwindled recently, mainly because of their lack of commitment to events (backed our of a friends birthday last minute to redecorate!) and that we are always the ones sorting meet ups. They also never come to us unless they need somethings so I feel once my wedding is over I will probably not try with those two anymore.

To add, everyone else has paid in full even though they didn't need to until the end of May. I mentioned it to my H2B and he said do not remind they, as after all if you want to come you would make the effort. We are all in our 30s and I am a bit fed up of people being so lazy. They have me on online banking so it would take seconds to send the £10 or at lease message. At what point to I call it quits? Do I remind them or do I let the deadline pass and then deal with the aftermath.

• Sad
If it’s been a while since you first discussed it, I think I’d give them one more chance to pay up, reminding them of the deadline, and if they don’t respond that’s up to them (and I’d be considering my friendship going forward). It’s hard when you’ve already sent the wedding invites though.. does rescinding their invite seem like the next step or would that be a nuclear option? Will there be other friends at the wedding who would gossip about it all?

I just wouldn’t want anyone thinking I was as bad as they are/have been but only you know if they’ll kick off/bad mouth you or be as disinterested as they are coming across now. I’ve had friendships that have fizzled during the pandemic and it’s so disappointing. Its hard to decide how to react in a proportionate way though - not being a pushover/regretting inviting them and begrudging the money spent on their wedding breakfast in years to come (I know this was the case for a close friends wedding as she still brings it up!) or kicking them off the guest list and making things worse.. but you’re absolutely right that it takes nothing to quickly transfer £10 and any proper mate should have no issues with this. How do you think they’d react if you said nothing about the hen do , and they heard about it later or saw pictures on social media?

If it’s been a while since you first discussed it, I think I’d give them one more chance to pay up, reminding them of the deadline, and if they don’t respond that’s up to them (and I’d be considering my friendship going forward). It’s hard when you’ve already sent the wedding invites though.. does rescinding their invite seem like the next step or would that be a nuclear option? Will there be other friends at the wedding who would gossip about it all?

I just wouldn’t want anyone thinking I was as bad as they are/have been but only you know if they’ll kick off/bad mouth you or be as disinterested as they are coming across now. I’ve had friendships that have fizzled during the pandemic and it’s so disappointing. Its hard to decide how to react in a proportionate way though - not being a pushover/regretting inviting them and begrudging the money spent on their wedding breakfast in years to come (I know this was the case for a close friends wedding as she still brings it up!) or kicking them off the guest list and making things worse.. but you’re absolutely right that it takes nothing to quickly transfer £10 and any proper mate should have no issues with this. How do you think they’d react if you said nothing about the hen do , and they heard about it later or saw pictures on social media?
To be honest there is little ‘politics’ about it all. We are only a friendship group of four, so there would only be the only the others of that group that know each other and my ‘honorary’ maid of honour and I have recently questioned our friendship with them, ours would carry on for sure. So there would be no gossip as none else at the wedding knows them no do we have other connected friends.

They would be welcome to the wedding party, but I doubt they would come after not coming to the hen do and we’re just having a garden party so no wedding breakfast or cost for them not coming. It’s been probably a month, I think I’ll send one reminder and that’s it. I’m too old for this type of one sided friendship!

I also don’t care about social media, I’m not on it much and to be honest I’ve bigger things to worry about on the front as it’s how my MIL will find out we got married 🙈

To be honest there is little ‘politics’ about it all. We are only a friendship group of four, so there would only be the only the others of that group that know each other and my ‘honorary’ maid of honour and I have recently questioned our friendship with them, ours would carry on for sure. So there would be no gossip as none else at the wedding knows them no do we have other connected friends.

They would be welcome to the wedding party, but I doubt they would come after not coming to the hen do and we’re just having a garden party so no wedding breakfast or cost for them not coming. It’s been probably a month, I think I’ll send one reminder and that’s it. I’m too old for this type of one sided friendship!

I also don’t care about social media, I’m not on it much and to be honest I’ve bigger things to worry about on the front as it’s how my MIL will find out we got married 🙈
Ahh, in those circumstances I probably wouldn’t bother reminding them then 😊

Just found this thread. Getting married next year. No dramas at all so far but imagine there might be a bit of hassle when the invites go out as we have been brutal. If we don't see you regularly, you're not coming. Don't care if you're family, it's not a free pass.

Everything is a rip off and the absolute audacity of some places and suppliers incredible. I see loads of bridal shops now charge to shop. duck the duck off. I don't mind paying a refundable deposit if I turn up to the appointment and I get the issues with no shows, but if I attend and you keep the money, it's greed pure and simple.

Even trying to do stuff cheaply costs a fortune. Only things that's actually justifying the cost we're paying is the honeymoon.

But that'll teach me for wanting the wedding I've always dreamed of.

I'm so keen for our guests to have a good time and am worried people will be bored if we don't entertain enough.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Booked my honeymoon with over 400 days to go 😅

But very excited! Felt weird to book it in what will be my new name

• Heart
We brought our rings and the groomsmen suits this week! 4 months to go and the to do list is finally less stressful 😂

Reactions: 3
We brought our rings and the groomsmen suits this week! 4 months to go and the to do list is finally less stressful 😂
We’re going to get Mr Fudges suit and ring this weekend hopefully! 3 months tomorrow for us eeeek!

Reactions: 3
Omggg it’s the weekend for suit buying! We are going for ours tomorrow 😂 wish me luck, I’m pure dreading it!

Then wedding rings in two weeks time. The only wedding task I can say with absolute certainty that I will absolutely love doing 💖

Omggg it’s the weekend for suit buying! We are going for ours tomorrow 😂 wish me luck, I’m pure dreading it!

Then wedding rings in two weeks time. The only wedding task I can say with absolute certainty that I will absolutely love doing 💖
How come you're dreading it?

I’m lucky that my fiancé knows what he wants in terms of clothes and that he doesn’t need me there. He’s taking his best man to look at suits and I’m happy with that. He’s got good taste so I trust him.

I ordered suit for him online haha. He tried one on in Zara just so we knew the size and I ordered Calvin Klein one from BestSecret, it was heavily discounted and it fits him perfectly. It went so much smoother than I expected. 😂

We went to see our venue yesterday with someone from our catering and a coordinator and I got goosebumps again when I saw the place. Honestly so magical I can't believe we found that. Seeing their reaction for the first time was priceless and I can't wait for our friends to all be there. It was a perfect warm spring day with birds chirping and all their cherry trees were blossoming and it got me so so so excited for the day again. 😭

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.