Wedding must haves

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As a guest you find that some weddings the down time is boring - like if the bride and groom go off somewhere for photos or there's a big gap between the afternoon bits and the evening, we've been to a wedding like that this weekend and they had put out games on the lawn of the hotel for everyone to enjoy and a pick a mix stall giant jeng, hoopla, coconut shy, a funny face in hole pic etc, all home made and rustic looking with palettes which suited the theme but everyone loved it and the kids carried on playing with them all evening which was great.

Reactions: 1
We have about 20 kids on the list! 💀 but lots of space for them to run and play around, we're also having a bbq out in the countryside 🥰
At my wedding I gave the kids little party bags as wedding favours- I think I spent around £3 on each bag, they had mini colouring pencils, book, mini games- they loved them and kept them occupied during the speeches (although it depends on the age of the children). . I also bought board games but becaus the weather was good, they spent most of the day outside running around and then they were dancing in the evening and they didn’t get used- if you do buy games, I would suggest not spending too much.
I agree with others who have said song requests.

congratulations and hope the planning goes well!

My friends wedding the other week had mini golf! It was great.

my tips and must haves would be high heel protectors to stop you sinking in the grass, flats for the evening.
photo list for the photographer and put best man in charge of rounding people up.
I love the light up love letters and photo booths.
a big postbox for your cards.
simple favours and table decor such as jam jar flowers, nothing too tall as no one can see each other!

I'm also a bride to be and I'm really stumped at the venue decision.. I'm between two and one is a fab restaurant that does weddings with top class food vs a hotel which isn't as fancy looking but the food is great but not fancy. Both are quite intimate and laid back but I'm conscious is the top class food going to be wasted on the guests 😂

Love the idea of mini golf, if I got married I would definitely do that as me and my other half always love playing mini golf on our holidays ⛳

My friends wedding the other week had mini golf! It was great.

my tips and must haves would be high heel protectors to stop you sinking in the grass, flats for the evening.
photo list for the photographer and put best man in charge of rounding people up.
I love the light up love letters and photo booths.
a big postbox for your cards.
simple favours and table decor such as jam jar flowers, nothing too tall as no one can see each other!

I'm also a bride to be and I'm really stumped at the venue decision.. I'm between two and one is a fab restaurant that does weddings with top class food vs a hotel which isn't as fancy looking but the food is great but not fancy. Both are quite intimate and laid back but I'm conscious is the top class food going to be wasted on the guests 😂
What would you prefer yourself, out of the two?

The restaurant personally. I've an axienty of people not liking the food as its not your typical roast dinner 😂 my partner just wants me to be happy
Unless your guests are foodies/all a similar type of person or not big drinkers, don’t worry so much about the food because there will always be people who don’t appreciate good food, ‘don’t eat foreign rot’, ‘it’s not like this at Prezzos’ etc. I’ve been to maybe 50 weddings in the last ten years, budget to £50k+ dos and I can only remember the food from 2. Have what you want for you, but don’t do it for the guests/accept they are not al going to be thrilled by it.
Like they say, no one remembers the wine, they only remember if you run out! It’s very true.

As someone above mentioned, the very best thing I’ve seen is a basket of cheap flip-flops for ladies. Primark do them for 80p.
Also little basket in the toilets with hairspray, body spray, plasters etc.

This only applies if your guests are drinkers - Anything you can do to stop people getting smashed before the speeches is a good idea so if you’re not having canapaes or eating on arrival, maybe a piece of brownie or cupcake exiting the church. If it’s a winter wedding flasks of hot choc or weak mulled wine at the church is lovely. Most churches will have a tea urn or facility to can access. I also suggest lots of water on tables and bottles/jugs of water out later for people to help themselves.

In terms of transport, I’ve been ferried from church to venue by bus and had to drive to church then the venue and both are fine. I would only consider paying for a bus if lots of people live walking distance of the church so they don’t have to even get in their car or collect it the next day. If they’re driving to church, may as well drive on to reception.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Oh another tip I remembered - my husband can be quite shy so was petrified of doing his speech. We decided to do the speeches before the meal so he could then totally relax and enjoy his food after. It really worked for us and was nice to do them as soon as everyone has sat down.

Reactions: 6
Oh another tip I remembered - my husband can be quite shy so was petrified of doing his speech. We decided to do the speeches before the meal so he could then totally relax and enjoy his food after. It really worked for us and was nice to do them as soon as everyone has sat down.
Two venues we have visited mentioned doing it at the drinks reception and I think no matter where we will go will 100% do this. It makes so much sense and I don't really want speeches so it's a win win.

Unless your guests are foodies/all a similar type of person or not big drinkers, don’t worry so much about the food because there will always be people who don’t appreciate good food, ‘don’t eat foreign rot’, ‘it’s not like this at Prezzos’ etc. I’ve been to maybe 50 weddings in the last ten years, budget to £50k+ dos and I can only remember the food from 2. Have what you want for you, but don’t do it for the guests/accept they are not al going to be thrilled by it.
Like they say, no one remembers the wine, they only remember if you run out! It’s very true.

As someone above mentioned, the very best thing I’ve seen is a basket of cheap flip-flops for ladies. Primark do them for 80p.
Also little basket in the toilets with hairspray, body spray, plasters etc.

This only applies if your guests are drinkers - Anything you can do to stop people getting smashed before the speeches is a good idea so if you’re not having canapaes or eating on arrival, maybe a piece of brownie or cupcake exiting the church. If it’s a winter wedding flasks of hot choc or weak mulled wine at the church is lovely. Most churches will have a tea urn or facility to can access. I also suggest lots of water on tables and bottles/jugs of water out later for people to help themselves.

In terms of transport, I’ve been ferried from church to venue by bus and had to drive to church then the venue and both are fine. I would only consider paying for a bus if lots of people live walking distance of the church so they don’t have to even get in their car or collect it the next day. If they’re driving to church, may as well drive on to reception.
Thank you for your tips. I think I just need to forget about pleasing everyone and just please myself and my partner. Not sleeping over the aniexty of all of it and we're only engaged a couple of weeks.

I got engaged at Christmas and have our wedding booked for October 2022. I’ve been reading through this thread to get some ideas!

I’ve got it into my head that I’m not out to please everyone, it’s our wedding and we are paying for it, so it should be to how we want it.

I’m gong to stay over at the venue the night before to save on transport costs and I’ve already planned to switch shoes as soon as the photos are done!

Reactions: 3
I got engaged at Christmas and have our wedding booked for October 2022. I’ve been reading through this thread to get some ideas!

I’ve got it into my head that I’m not out to please everyone, it’s our wedding and we are paying for it, so it should be to how we want it.

I’m gong to stay over at the venue the night before to save on transport costs and I’ve already planned to switch shoes as soon as the photos are done!
I wish I could get it into my head that it's our wedding 😂

I wish I could get it into my head that it's our wedding 😂
Hahah😂, once you do, it will make life so much easier! Someone in work was horrified that I wasn’t having children to the ceremony… 1. Only one person at the ceremony has a child under 18 and 2. It’s OUR wedding and we will have it how we want!

Reactions: 4
Hahah😂, once you do, it will make life so much easier! Someone in work was horrified that I wasn’t having children to the ceremony… 1. Only one person at the ceremony has a child under 18 and 2. It’s OUR wedding and we will have it how we want!
I am pretty certain I don't want kids at the wedding and I've told my family and they understand but my partner isn't so willinging to say it to his sister but I will have no problem putting it nicely on the invites. We don't have kids ourselves and we love our nieces and nephews but I don't want to be paying for their meals they're not gonna eat

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I am pretty certain I don't want kids at the wedding and I've told my family and they understand but my partner isn't so willinging to say it to his sister but I will have no problem putting it nicely on the invites. We don't have kids ourselves and we love our nieces and nephews but I don't want to be paying for their meals they're not gonna eat
We've had the same conversation with friends who have babies and toddlers. We just put on the invites that our ceremony would be an adults only occasion but children are more than welcome in the evening. As you say, the food is expensive enough without adding children into the mix. And a wedding is a long, boring day for a kid. And I don't want to watch our wedding video back in years to come to hear a load of kids crying and squealing! 🙊 Maybe it's selfish but I figure that your wedding is the one day when it's OK to put yourself first.

We've had the same conversation with friends who have babies and toddlers. We just put on the invites that our ceremony would be an adults only occasion but children are more than welcome in the evening. As you say, the food is expensive enough without adding children into the mix. And a wedding is a long, boring day for a kid. And I don't want to watch our wedding video back in years to come to hear a load of kids crying and squealing! 🙊 Maybe it's selfish but I figure that your wedding is the one day when it's OK to put yourself first.
I think most parents are happy to have a night off to let their hair down without the kids 😄

• Heart
  • Haha
And a wedding is a long, boring day for a kid.
😂 yep! I have our first wedding with our LO next month and absolutely dreading it, I have no idea how I’m going to keep her entertained for that period of time under wedding constraints and most importantly quiet during key parts. It’s not even just crying or screaming it’s simply not possible to make a young toddler do all the things a wedding participant needs to do on the day - eg sit still, be quiet, stop waving, stop grabbing. I honestly can’t understand ppl that start rows over their kids coming, I’d happily stay at home with mine and let my husband (the best man 😫) go enjoy his day in peace.

Also re food I wouldn’t expect a plate for a kid under 5 tbh, I’m packing our own food for her cos I’m conscious of salt.

😂 yep! I have our first wedding with our LO next month and absolutely dreading it, I have no idea how I’m going to keep her entertained for that period of time under wedding constraints and most importantly quiet during key parts. It’s not even just crying or screaming it’s simply not possible to make a young toddler do all the things a wedding participant needs to do on the day - eg sit still, be quiet, stop waving, stop grabbing. I honestly can’t understand ppl that start rows over their kids coming, I’d happily stay at home with mine and let my husband (the best man 😫) go enjoy his day in peace.

Also re food I wouldn’t expect a plate for a kid under 5 tbh, I’m packing our own food for her cos I’m conscious of salt.
Some parents probably expect their kidos to be fed then and they're feeding them pure trash.

I just think being honest from the get go with no kids is important.
I was at a wedding and they only had kids from one side which was unfair. It's all or nothing.

Some parents probably expect their kidos to be fed then and they're feeding them pure trash.

I just think being honest from the get go with no kids is important.
I was at a wedding and they only had kids from one side which was unfair. It's all or nothing.
I went to a large Greek wedding a few years ago (what a party that was). They had organised a crèche with a nanny to look after all the little ones.