Vignettes and Pets #3 Friends Reunited

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What an absolute treasure and what a talented singer! I had no idea she could sing and so powerfully too. A real lady and a wonderful orator. ❤
She’s 94! Another genius from Birkenhead...
I think we should treasure our national treasures. Now that we have this celebrity culture where people become famous with NO talent whatsoever, before long all the true talent will have left us and we will be left with - well - not very much at all...

• Heart
Reactions: 3
She’s 94! Another genius from Birkenhead...
I think we should treasure our national treasures. Now that we have this celebrity culture where people become famous with NO talent whatsoever, before long all the true talent will have left us and we will be left with - well - not very much at all...
So agree. I can’t have any sympathy with Aldi considering he earns - what did we say? £180,000.. for holding up walls? For pouting? Honest to god, we have just today rented out our house to a couple - he is Assistant Professor in UCD and she is an engineer and their joint income is €128,000 pa.

• Sad
So my daughter asked me what was my ‘favourite’ book of all time this evening and I take that as the most powerful and meaningful book as opposed to favourite and I thought back and honestly think the one that affected me most, when younger certainly and still is - is White Oleander by Janet Finch. I found it so meaningful, disturbing, cruel and sad. I would love to know your favourites, ie what affected you most as a book, yesterday and today still?

• Heart
Reactions: 2
So my daughter asked me what was my ‘favourite’ book of all time this evening and I take that as the most powerful and meaningful book as opposed to favourite and I thought back and honestly think the one that affected me most, when younger certainly and still is - is White Oleander by Janet Finch. I found it so meaningful, disturbing, cruel and sad. I would love to know your favourites, ie what affected you most as a book, yesterday and today still?
I don't know that book....Will have a look.

Wild Swans by Jung Chang...Read it a long time ago and it's almost a cliché to choose it.
The Choice by Edith Eger...Read in last few years.

For literary works I would have to say House of Mirth, Henry James; The Great Gatsby, FScott Fitzgerald...I could go on.....

• Heart
The book I have read more times than any other is The Other Side of Midnight by Sidney Sheldon.
I loved all the Jilly Coopers!
I also loved Little Women and What Katy Did . There is a chapter in Katy where they are away at school and Katy and Clover’s box is the only one to get through the blizzards at Christmas! That one chapter still gives me complete joy to read today. I read it every Christmas and will never stop loving it. I still remember being seven and reading it for the first time. Utterly spell-binding and magical…

As a child I remember going to a church rummage sale with my mother. I went and got myself completely lost and immersed in all the children’s books and my mother bought me Angela Brazil’s Princess of the School! Oh how I loved that book! I have since collected her books as I love the front covers…I think they were published in the 1920’s.

21848F8A-8360-4E40-9A58-C18DE2990F30.jpeg

My copy of The Youngest Girl of the Fifth was given as a birthday present to a woman who was 19!!Imagine that? How times change!

298FECDA-2A13-4199-92C4-9A1C31C1B358.jpeg
05128F68-3572-4145-A8DA-F4B16A0D9360.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Heart
I have read Wild Swans - wonderful book - but not The Choice so I’ll put that on the list.

I adored Les Liaisons Dangereuse by Choderlos de Laclos - the translation. This book was lent to me by an American diplomat when I worked at the embassy. His name was Dwight Cossit III (great name!) We exchanged lots of books together and were great friends. He was a happily married man so no attraction just a shared love of books. He introduced me to this book and I was enthralled. A brilliant study of sharp, astute minds in French society with literally nothing to do so manipulate, deceive and betray for their own amusement. It’s a series of letters so beautifully written that they almost hide the cruelty they are communicating.

I also love Gatsby and have read it about 7 times! I never got along with Hemingway though... The Mayor of Casterbridge is a Thomas Hardy favourite - I’ve read all his books.

In my teens I read a book by Paullina Simons called Tully and have since read all her books but Tully reminds me of that time in my life and I loved that book so much. It was her debut novel and it was remarkable. I think it was the first time I really fell in love with a book. It’s not to be confused with the movie - it’s nothing like the movie, thankfully.

I have read all the Jilly Coopers too - loved them. They were all womens names if I recall, Imogen, etc. A great collection.

• Heart
Watching the coronation atm…

Thank The Lord the pen didn’t leak!

• Haha
I am still processing how I feel about the Coronation. However, my initial reaction is to notice what a morose looking man the King is. A morose looking man with darting eyes.

It was hard not to imagine Diana, Princess of Wales at this ceremony. For me (even though I can acknowledge that The Queen Consort has done a lot of tireless work for charity) I find it hard not to think that if events had been different and if the wedding vows had not been broken she would not have been dead. Therefore, him now being head of the church in England is somehow inappropriate ( I understand others may see this differently).

Another thing that struck me is how soaked those thousands of uniformed people would be marching in the final procession. It must have been SO heavy and uncomfortable waiting outside in the rain!

I loved Zadock the Priest - that was wonderful and totally fascinating to see the Crown Jewels used.

Cannot understand why a cloaked Prince Andrew wearing medals was filmed.
Hated the King’s black buckled shoes…
---
It’s a shame they kept the ermine robes too. The argument they wanted to save money so used robes used before doesn’t wash imho.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I am still processing how I feel about the Coronation. However, my initial reaction is to notice what a morose looking man the King is. A morose looking man with darting eyes.

It was hard not to imagine Diana, Princess of Wales at this ceremony. For me (even though I can acknowledge that The Queen Consort has done a lot of tireless work for charity) I find it hard not to think that if events had been different and if the wedding vows had not been broken she would not have been dead. Therefore, him now being head of the church in England is somehow inappropriate ( I understand others may see this differently).

Another thing that struck me is how soaked those thousands of uniformed people would be marching in the final procession. It must have been SO heavy and uncomfortable waiting outside in the rain!

I loved Zadock the Priest - that was wonderful and totally fascinating to see the Crown Jewels used.

Cannot understand why a cloaked Prince Andrew wearing medals was filmed.
Hated the King’s black buckled shoes…
---
It’s a shame they kept the ermine robes too. The argument they wanted to save money so used robes used before doesn’t wash imho.
I’ve only just started to watch it as I’ve been out but I agree with you. It’s impossible not to think of Diana on this historical day. He had a duty of care to her but failed miserably. Whether the marriage was arranged or not makes no difference - he had a moral obligation to protect her and care for her. I think he was jealous of her when he should have been a bigger man and been proud of her.

I haven’t seen the buckles yet.. or Andrew.. so I’ll report back ❤

• Heart
I’m very interested in your thoughts about Harry’s attendance - I personally feel a break with a family is a break so why would you go? He has made his issues with the family known so why attend at all? I’m confused. If I were him I would not attend for the reasons he has outlined - rather than attend and being sandwiched between Beatrice and Eugenie? Please fill me in my friends ❤
---
Btw - I loved the personal touch by Prince William. Respectful but personal touching the crown and kissing his dad.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
The book I have read more times than any other is The Other Side of Midnight by Sidney Sheldon.
I loved all the Jilly Coopers!
I also loved Little Women and What Katy Did . There is a chapter in Katy where they are away at school and Katy and Clover’s box is the only one to get through the blizzards at Christmas! That one chapter still gives me complete joy to read today. I read it every Christmas and will never stop loving it. I still remember being seven and reading it for the first time. Utterly spell-binding and magical…

As a child I remember going to a church rummage sale with my mother. I went and got myself completely lost and immersed in all the children’s books and my mother bought me Angela Brazil’s Princess of the School! Oh how I loved that book! I have since collected her books as I love the front covers…I think they were published in the 1920’s.

View attachment 2151586
My copy of The Youngest Girl of the Fifth was given as a birthday present to a woman who was 19!!Imagine that? How times change!

View attachment 2151604View attachment 2151609
Childhood faves

Ballet Shoes - Noel Streatfield

The Chalet School Books - ?

Thomas Hardy - loved all his books

• Heart
Having now had a little time to process my thoughts on the Coronation I am prone to agree mostly with Shabaz!
All that money plus an extra Bank Holiday!
The King could barely smile. He looked totally hacked off for the day he has spent his entire life waiting for. Did no-one coach him?
Quite oppositely his wife looked like she really enjoyed it - along with her sister who later danced all over the balcony not knowing where to stand and generally being in the way.
You’d never believe we live in a time of austerity if you judged by the coronation would you?
Sorry but it’s all a bit bah humbug.
There’ll be another one along soonish; so maybe that’ll be a bit better.

I think that it’s made me realise that having been a staunch royalist all my life I‘m now developing ambivalence, impatience and a much more critical outlook to them now that The Queen is dead. I cannot abide Prince Andrew and don’t like the way Harry has behaved. I think my distaste is mostly against Andrew who was allowed to make an appearance in his Garter Robes yesterday! That overshadowed everything for me and spoke volumes. We now have a hypocrite as head of the English Church and we allow completely the wrong people to turn up in their regalia! That was another NO Prince Andrew didn’t get when he should have done.

• Heart
Did you see me man bring the house down at the end of the concert in Windsor tonight?🥰😍Sheeeeesh!

(None of the royals apart from Sophie Duchess of Edinburgh can dance…sooo uncomfortable to watch. 🤪😜)

• Haha
Did you see me man bring the house down at the end of the concert in Windsor tonight?🥰😍Sheeeeesh!

(None of the royals apart from Sophie Duchess of Edinburgh can dance…sooo uncomfortable to watch. 🤪😜)
I was thinking about you darling @Oops... as I watched it.
Agree about the dancing! 🤣

• Heart

Whoooo? Just kidding @Oops... ! The BBC cut him off just to show the news which would cover what they stopped? Mind boggling decision making there. The sainted one is exceptional but Howard looked good too 🥰

The dancing... so agree. Abysmal. 😂

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.