Vegan and Plant Based Recommendations and Reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What do you guys recommend as a good packed lunch vegan option? I’ve been vegetarian for most of my life and me/my boyfriend are going to do veganuary. He’s struggling for lunch ideas so any help is appreciated!
I fake the M&S orzo salad, very easy and cheap. Just some orzo, peppers, red onion, red wine vinegar, fresh chives and olive oil. It’s so good.

06060B27-7485-43E3-BF11-82E6C1924AF1.jpeg

295FB47C-4EE1-46E2-9F4D-E22958A8E399.jpeg

Asda have quorn vegan meat on offer for 2 for £3. The Granovita spreads are nice on tiger bread for a “meat paste” style butty. Falafel, red onion and houmous on some crusty bread is good, too!

Is anyone else doing Veganuary? I’m going to try, I don’t eat much meat anyway and can easily cut it out. But cutting out cheese is going to be a problem for me. Are there any decent vegan cheese substitutes?
That’s fab 🥳 I don’t know if I’m repeating what others have said but these are my fave cheeses:

EC78D6C9-C374-4E7B-A3C7-C5B190139BCE.jpeg

B795D2AE-B3EB-4700-98AA-6EA522B2DEC1.jpeg

48FF2B24-D50D-46B6-B79C-3BF524FA4545.jpeg

The bottom two you can get from Asda, top one I got from a vegan shop. 1. Tastes like an onion dairylea 2. Despite its name, reminds me of a mild cheddar (not that horrible coconut taste, though) 3. Philadelphia.

The Mexicana vegan cheese is great for toasties as it melts well, but it’s not great on its own in a sandwich.

🚨 Beyond burgers are £3 a pack in Tesco atm!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Tried these tonight on a toasted muffin. Greasy but tasty. Like a sausage McMuffin. They have a burger version too which I haven’t tried yet. On offer at Waitrose now - 3 for £10. Also at Sainsbury for £3.50 per pack.
71FA250D-BB30-4760-85FD-95B2914E4E59.jpeg
CA91A6F9-EEF7-4050-B3E6-8035A3AB730A.jpeg

Waitrose has all their Strong Roots products on offer now until 26th January, including these.
AC2E0B95-41B7-487C-A817-B50B08290DF6.jpeg
7A00DBF8-8E24-4D70-A11F-7506BAAC8353.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Has anyone seen the post that seems to be doing the rounds on Instagram about “Regenuary” ??

It seems to be posted originally by @ethicalbutcher it basically from how I read it says swopping meat for nuts etc is much worse for the environment that eating well raised animals.
As somebody who is doing veganuary with a view to carrying on I’m very conflicted I don’t really know who to believe, anybody got any thoughts?

Has anyone seen the post that seems to be doing the rounds on Instagram about “Regenuary” ??

It seems to be posted originally by @ethicalbutcher it basically from how I read it says swopping meat for nuts etc is much worse for the environment that eating well raised animals.
As somebody who is doing veganuary with a view to carrying on I’m very conflicted I don’t really know who to believe, anybody got any thoughts?
I believe that it depends on your personal views.
For example, hazelnuts are frequently picked with the use of child labour.
Almonds are really bad for bees. Around 80% of world almonds are from California, and they ship bees from various places in USA to pollinate them, which exposes bees to pesticides from neighbouring fields, diseases, etc.
So I personally try to avoid these nuts.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I thought I'd make a thread to share my favourite plant based products (inspired by @Emmapism). I was vegan for a long time and now I'm vegetarian but mostly plant based.

A few favourites I could start with (I would need some time to make a full list :ROFLMAO:), starting with a few easy to find supermarket items, as opposed to homemade/from scratch:

Cheese - Violife cheese, seems to be the closest taste to real cheese I've found. The grated version is amazing on pizza too.
Sausages - Richmond 8 Meat Free Sausages, closest to meat I've tried.
Burgers and Sausages - Beyond the Burger products are amazing but ££££.
Marks and Spencer's do a range 'Plant Kitchen' where they have vegan 'Chicken' Kiev, nuggets, 'Duck' spring rolls and a lot of vegetable alternatives (cauliflower florets in batter, wraps and more).
Milk - Koko
coconut milk is great in coffee or with cereal, Koko doesn't really have any taste to it so you really can't tell it's coconut.
Milk - Oatly Barista Milk is great in coffee or black tea (shaking it makes it froth like latte milk). They also do an amazing chocolate version.
Yoghurt - Koko again, Beleaf Almond Yogurt, The Coconut Collaborative do amazing yoghurts (chocolate too).
I'd recommend Oatly in general tbh, they do ice cream, custard, various types of milk.
Tofoo Tofu
is great, I've used it to make scrambled tofu in place of eggs, you can by it plain or flavoured now.
Ice cream - Magnum, Oatly as mentioned above, Alpro Hazelnut is outstanding.

Off to make a list of more...if there's an alternative you're looking for please comment and maybe someone knows of one!
I used to know someone who worked in food production and apparently the Tofuu tofu is the exact same as cauldron and made in the same place but double the price!

• Wow
I’ve tried the Richmond Vegan sausages today and am blown away by how good they are. They look, taste and smell so much like the original Richmond Pork sausages that you could trick someone into thinking they were eating them. Easily the best veggie sausages I’ve ever tasted.

Reactions: 5
I’ve tried the Richmond Vegan sausages today and am blown away by how good they are. They look, taste and smell so much like the original Richmond Pork sausages that you could trick someone into thinking they were eating them. Easily the best veggie sausages I’ve ever tasted.
I gave them to my friend and she said she wouldn't of known they weren't meat if I hadn't told her. I get the frozen ones

They are on offer at Waitrose now until end of January.

So today I tried this from Aldi. I’m actually blown away yet again. This as good as any non vegan, deli coleslaw Ive ever tasted! Going to try the vegan Mayo next!

9D70C946-9F06-4C97-A590-771DE0B342EF.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Aldi have so many new things in for veganuary!! I'm avoiding the shops though 😭

I used to know someone who worked in food production and apparently the Tofuu tofu is the exact same as cauldron and made in the same place but double the price!
They are not the same. Maybe made by the same company but the texture of the two is very different! Tofoo is much firmer.

Apparently Aldi is now on Deliveroo, though I can’t find them in my area.

Apparently Aldi is now on Deliveroo, though I can’t find them in my area.
We don't have deliveroo here. They do click and collect though for £4.99, you have to put your order in as soon as you book though and can't amend it

We don't have deliveroo here. They do click and collect though for £4.99, you have to put your order in as soon as you book though and can't amend it
Yes, I saw that about click and collect. Do you see a list of everything they have in the store?

Tried the new Starbucks vegan breakfast sandwich today it's really good. Also I'm a little obsessed with the new subway vegan chocolate cookies 😜

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.