Vegan and Plant Based Recommendations and Reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't like the texture but if it helps at all, my mum swears by the meatless farm one
I'm on the fence with this one, it's alright but deffo not a "could eat all the time", my head also tells me constantly when cooking with it "It's still raw" as it doesn't really take any colour on :censored: Asda's plant base range is great too.

Jewish deli is such a good call, I've never even thought about it!

Re vegan fish, I tried the vegan tuna as well and it was as icky as the tinned Seitan from Marigold..just thinking of either of the two makes me feel queasy. For sure two things I wouldn't even serve my worst enemy.
Happy to take one for the team though as I love Salmon. :D

I tried the ASDA Plant Based Thai Style Fishless Cakes this weekend and really enjoyed them, nice kick to them, but not overwhelming and nice fishy taste.

Reactions: 1
Hi I'm looking for good mince alternatives if anyone can recommend ?
Thanks in advance ☺
I usually go for the new Richmond mince now that the Naked Glory one has sadly been discontinued. There's a new brand in Tesco called Garden Gourmet but I haven't tried it yet. Don't think I've ever had 'real' mince before as I was brought up pescatarian. I don't like Quorn mince or the frozen supermarket ones in the bags but I'll eat it in the Quorn lasagne ready meal when its on offer.

Btw Quorn nuggets are a pound on the Tesco clubcard deal this week - don't know if they're the vegan or veggie ones though!

If anyone is looking for a good vegan recipe site, try Fat Free Vegan Kitchen. She’s also on Instagram under @susanffvk.

Reactions: 2
Thanks everyone for your replies, I am attempting to go meat-free in November .. really glad I found this thread! Going to try the Beyond mince as its on offer in Tesco if you have a clubcard(y)

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Thanks everyone for your replies, I am attempting to go meat-free in November .. really glad I found this thread! Going to try the Beyond mince as its on offer in Tesco if you have a clubcard(y)
what is it that you're making? If you can't find an alternative that you like or find them too expensive, green lentils make a fairly decent replacement. I use them for cottage pies, chilli's, spag Bol. It's not mince like obvs but it does the job

• Heart
what is it that you're making? If you can't find an alternative that you like or find them too expensive, green lentils make a fairly decent replacement. I use them for cottage pies, chilli's, spag Bol. It's not mince like obvs but it does the job
If I am using cans green are fine but red/orange lentils are better if you are cooking from scratch, they take less time to cook. Lots of chilli, cottage pie recipes etc on the net.
If anyone is looking for a good vegan recipe site, try Fat Free Vegan Kitchen. She’s also on Instagram under @susanffvk.
Another brilliant one is veganricha. She does use oil but not much and she posted a great gluten free recipe yesterday which I am going to cook tomorrow.

If I am using cans green are fine but red/orange lentils are better if you are cooking from scratch, they take less time to cook. Lots of chilli, cottage pie etc on the net.

Another brilliant one is veganricha. She does use oil but not much and she posted a great gluten free recipe yesterday which I am going to cook tomorrow.
I really dislike red lentils in things that aren't pasta based. I think cause to me red lentils have a flavour that green don't. I have hyper sensitive taste buds though so that is probably not normal 🤣

Saw a good review of the Future Farm vegan tuna on Instagram earlier - the poster said it was the nicest out of all the brands they'd tried. Apparently it smells rank and the texture isn't exactly the same but as an ex-tuna lover, they really enjoyed it. I think most vegans who want tuna make a sort of mashed chickpea and mayo mixture and then add ripped up seaweed sheets to add a fishy flavour. I love tuna so I think I'd have to give it up for a long time before trying a vegan version 😬

I really dislike red lentils in things that aren't pasta based. I think cause to me red lentils have a flavour that green don't. I have hyper sensitive taste buds though so that is probably not normal 🤣
OK - I do prefer them to green except when making burgers and I love spices and herbs so really does not matter which I use if I am honest and usually cook them all in the Instant Pot cooker.

• Heart
Probably will use for chilli and bolognaise sauce as they are both favourites in our house

Saw a good review of the Future Farm vegan tuna on Instagram earlier - the poster said it was the nicest out of all the brands they'd tried. Apparently it smells rank and the texture isn't exactly the same but as an ex-tuna lover, they really enjoyed it. I think most vegans who want tuna make a sort of mashed chickpea and mayo mixture and then add ripped up seaweed sheets to add a fishy flavour. I love tuna so I think I'd have to give it up for a long time before trying a vegan version 😬
I tried this last week. I have to say I was a bit scared to try it but it was very tasty. I agree the smell was off putting but after it was mixed up with vegan Mayo the smell disappeared. The texture is more chunky than flakes of tuna but the taste was spot on.
I’d definitely buy it again.

I tried this last week. I have to say I was a bit scared to try it but it was very tasty. I agree the smell was off putting but after it was mixed up with vegan Mayo the smell disappeared. The texture is more chunky than flakes of tuna but the taste was spot on.
I’d definitely buy it again.
Ooh this is reassuring...

Saw the salmon in saino but they were £4. May wait a little longer to try! The best sausages in my opinion are meatless farm ones.

I prefer brown lentils to green unless they are the Puy version.

Anyone tried these? They are at Iceland.. quite a good range of plant based stuff including the Richmond Sausages. Also No Bull products which I’ve not tried yet.

Attachments

I’ve been eating the No Bull burgers for years - I think they were one of the first brands to start doing proper beefy vegan burgers as opposed to the thin hamburger ones. Beyond burgers are amazing but too expensive!! Gonna try the new aldi ones soon I think😍

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.