Vegan and Plant Based Recommendations and Reviews #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you so much for the recommendations for Iron - the liquid sounds brill (and I'm going to look up each of the items you've recommended in the thread and show them, so my family member can maybe try a couple to see which one works best) :)

Reactions: 1
Some reviews lads:
- Violife "Cheddar"
1643141637487.png

Actually nice. Doesn't taste like Cheddar-Cheddar, more like a cheese puff/cheese flavoured Cheetos with a slight aftertaste of margarine but it was quite decent in sandwiches and as a snack. If you grate it on the fine grater (like you would with a hard cheese such as parmesan), and put on top of hot pasta, it will melt a bit.
- Violife Smoked Slices
1643141866691.png

Only got it tonight but I keep going back to it while cooking dinner. Similar flavour to the one above plus the smoky flavour, which is as strong as you'd expect from the dairy version this is trying to "impersonate". Again, slightly margerine aftertaste but you get used to it. I think it'll be nice in sandwiches but will have to confirm that once I tried.
- Aldi No beef strips
1643142062966.png

Nice but not on their own. Not enough teriyaki flavouring on them and since they contain wheat protein, they have this slight sweet taste of wheat flour? However, we drenched them in some more teriyaki sauce and had as a strir fry with a pile of lovely vegetables.
- Aldi no chicken tikka
1643142275580.png

Good texture, not too dry but barely seasoned at all! And I don't even mean a tikka flavour, they're not even salted enough! Texture is similar to Quorn chicken pieces (non-frozen) but do bear in mind that some Quorn ones are not vegan. Again, we had it in a stir-fry with veg and noodles and extra sauce (we used chow mein - but only because you couldn't taste the tikka at all so wasn't worried about the flavours clashing).
- Wicked Kitchen Spicy Coconut & Rice Noodles

1643142550496.png

Guys, I tried cooking them like someone here recommended. More water, in proper bowl, in a macrowave, a good few minutes, stirring every coupl of mins. Didn't do the job :( The noodles were too soft in the end and the sauce/soup was still quite starchy, if you know what I mean? Like not fully cooked. I was at work that day, by myself all day and it was so cold in the office and I was very much looking forward to eating these and they just didn't do it.
- Made a sort-of spaghetti carbonara using This isn't bacon lardons, mushrooms and this cream:
1643142907683.png

It was tasty, I made this recipe before using traditional cream so I knew the lardons would work but it made me gassy! Sorry for TMI. I think the cream has some lentil protein in it and I wondered if that was what made me fart-y 😂 Because when I had this previously with dairy cream, I didn't have that issue. So maybe be careful. The uncooked cream was quite tasty and I can see it work in deserts and bakes.

So a mixed bag. This is not the best veganuary I have done, I don't think I have ever before relied on so much ready made food which isn't the healthiest. I cooked a few dishes from scratch but not as many as in previous years but also I started a new job where I am working longer hours than before so it's just so much easier to have some meat alternatives or pot noodles 😂

We also bought these today:
1643143442724.png

1643143492503.png

Will report back once tried ;)

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Some reviews lads:
- Violife "Cheddar"
View attachment 1015981
Actually nice. Doesn't taste like Cheddar-Cheddar, more like a cheese puff/cheese flavoured Cheetos with a slight aftertaste of margarine but it was quite decent in sandwiches and as a snack. If you grate it on the fine grater (like you would with a hard cheese such as parmesan), and put on top of hot pasta, it will melt a bit.
- Violife Smoked Slices
View attachment 1016006
Only got it tonight but I keep going back to it while cooking dinner. Similar flavour to the one above plus the smoky flavour, which is as strong as you'd expect from the dairy version this is trying to "impersonate". Again, slightly margerine aftertaste but you get used to it. I think it'll be nice in sandwiches but will have to confirm that once I tried.
- Aldi No beef strips
View attachment 1016014
Nice but not on their own. Not enough teriyaki flavouring on them and since they contain wheat protein, they have this slight sweet taste of wheat flour? However, we drenched them in some more teriyaki sauce and had as a strir fry with a pile of lovely vegetables.
- Aldi no chicken tikka
View attachment 1016023
Good texture, not too dry but barely seasoned at all! And I don't even mean a tikka flavour, they're not even salted enough! Texture is similar to Quorn chicken pieces (non-frozen) but do bear in mind that some Quorn ones are not vegan. Again, we had it in a stir-fry with veg and noodles and extra sauce (we used chow mein - but only because you couldn't taste the tikka at all so wasn't worried about the flavours clashing).
- Wicked Kitchen Spicy Coconut & Rice Noodles

View attachment 1016039
Guys, I tried cooking them like someone here recommended. More water, in proper bowl, in a macrowave, a good few minutes, stirring every coupl of mins. Didn't do the job :( The noodles were too soft in the end and the sauce/soup was still quite starchy, if you know what I mean? Like not fully cooked. I was at work that day, by myself all day and it was so cold in the office and I was very much looking forward to eating these and they just didn't do it.
- Made a sort-of spaghetti carbonara using This isn't bacon lardons, mushrooms and this cream:
View attachment 1016052
It was tasty, I made this recipe before using traditional cream so I knew the lardons would work but it made me gassy! Sorry for TMI. I think the cream has some lentil protein in it and I wondered if that was what made me fart-y 😂 Because when I had this previously with dairy cream, I didn't have that issue. So maybe be careful. The uncooked cream was quite tasty and I can see it work in deserts and bakes.

So a mixed bag. This is not the best veganuary I have done, I don't think I have ever before relied on so much ready made food which isn't the healthiest. I cooked a few dishes from scratch but not as many as in previous years but also I started a new job where I am working longer hours than before so it's just so much easier to have some meat alternatives or pot noodles 😂

We also bought these today:
View attachment 1016072
View attachment 1016075
Will report back once tried ;)
Ahh thanks so much for this really helpful review!! I like the Violife epic mature cheddar too but will give the smoky slices a go for sandwiches. I actually love Tesco's own brand smoked cheese but not sure if they still do it - I took a long hiatus from vegan cheese after a few v disappointing trial runs lol. And that's such a shame about the Wicked noodles! I think I'm the one who recommended microwaving the Mac - I haven't tried these noodles, but yeah I agree, even with the Mac, it seems the recommended water level and prep instructions just don't cut it... Such a shame because I like most of what Wicked do and these pots are so handy. I actually love the flavour with the Spicy Mac, just wish it cooked more consistently!

Ooh also, if you can get your hands on the Wicked Katsu Kievs, those are some of my favourite vegan kievs, right after the M&S one! The sauce almost tastes like Wagas katsu haha

I resent paying £2.50 for the red Thai soulful pot when I'm sure they make the same curry for Aldi that costs £1.70, but is rarely in stock!
Yeah I agree, I love all the Soulful pots I've tried but the price to quantity ratio is just not worth it... The only one I'll willingly treat myself to is the West African peanut stew because it's gorgeous and not something I'd make for myself at home.

The Cucina Pianta aubergine parm in the freezer at Asda. £3 but absolutely delicious. Would he even better served with pasta but as a diabetic sometimes I need a lower carb option so it is great. Beautiful flavour.

They do a mushroom ravioli too which my husband loves. I don't hate it but it's very intense with mushroom so not for me.

Their lasagne is also delicious.

They are pricey for ready meals but we are going through a period where they're a necessity so it's a great option.

Tried the Goodfellas Chickenless Supreme pizza. Needs a grind of salt but the texture of the base and "chicken" are fab. The Ristorante pomadoro is still my fav frozen vegan pizza though.

Still trying to get my hands on the PB Philadelphia but can't locate it in my Tesco.

Recently enjoyed Sainsbury's vegan chow mein and husband liked their korma. The former is more "generic Chinese flavour", than chow mein-specific but dead nice. I'm not a korma fan as usually too creamy but I had a bite of husband's and it was great. Really fragrant rice. I'll stick to the Tikka one for the most part though.

Golden Syrup sponge puddings at ASDA are fab. 50 secs in the microwave and...et voila...a sweet treat. A very sweet treat. It is golden syrup after all ha.

I wonder what items will remain post-Veganuary and I wonder what the year holds in terms of new releases.

I don't normally consume so much ready-made stuff, (nothing against it), but the convenience factor while unwell is great and the variety available now is nice. I've been vegan for six years and so much has changed in that time.

Best wishes to all

Reactions: 4
Ok, I've had the Richmond Rashers twice now and I think they're the best bacon alternative I've tried. Also, they don't repeat on you for several days afterwards, which is a bonus.
That’s interesting as I swear by This Isn’t bacon. I will give the Richmond ones a try.

That’s interesting as I swear by This Isn’t bacon. I will give the Richmond ones a try.
I love their lardons, rashers - not so much!

I like the This Isn't too. The richmond ones look a bit more realistic and they're bigger :)
I personally don't like it when fake bacon is made look like the real thing, can't explain it but I really don't need it to look streaky as long as it tastes good and has nice texture. Each to their own I guess?

The Cucina Pianta aubergine parm in the freezer at Asda. £3 but absolutely delicious. Would he even better served with pasta but as a diabetic sometimes I need a lower carb option so it is great. Beautiful flavour.

They do a mushroom ravioli too which my husband loves. I don't hate it but it's very intense with mushroom so not for me.

Their lasagne is also delicious.

They are pricey for ready meals but we are going through a period where they're a necessity so it's a great option.

Tried the Goodfellas Chickenless Supreme pizza. Needs a grind of salt but the texture of the base and "chicken" are fab. The Ristorante pomadoro is still my fav frozen vegan pizza though.

Still trying to get my hands on the PB Philadelphia but can't locate it in my Tesco.

Recently enjoyed Sainsbury's vegan chow mein and husband liked their korma. The former is more "generic Chinese flavour", than chow mein-specific but dead nice. I'm not a korma fan as usually too creamy but I had a bite of husband's and it was great. Really fragrant rice. I'll stick to the Tikka one for the most part though.

Golden Syrup sponge puddings at ASDA are fab. 50 secs in the microwave and...et voila...a sweet treat. A very sweet treat. It is golden syrup after all ha.

I wonder what items will remain post-Veganuary and I wonder what the year holds in terms of new releases.

I don't normally consume so much ready-made stuff, (nothing against it), but the convenience factor while unwell is great and the variety available now is nice. I've been vegan for six years and so much has changed in that time.

Best wishes to all
I never shop at ASDA, I have a Tesco and Aldi closer and ASDA is a bit of a detour. But I might have to check it out just to see what's on offer as your recommendations sound so good!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
@martaS I must add that these are gorgeous too. They're not remotely eggy and don't try to be really. They're just gorgeous balls of savoury loveliness.

I really rate Asda at the moment. Good job because it's only a 10 minute walk away haha.

I also like their own brand frozen vegan spaghetti bol with some of their own brand grated vegan mozzarella in it. Delicious!

Attachments

• Heart
These are a nice dessert and on offer £1 for 2 in Tesco (usually £2). I bought 4 boxes as they have good dates.

1643368110497.jpeg

A woman with an embarrassed bf was actually shouting around the meat free aisle “why do they want it to look like meat, does me head innnn” 🤣 it was like seeing a Daily Mail comment brought to life.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
These are a nice dessert and on offer £1 for 2 in Tesco (usually £2). I bought 4 boxes as they have good dates.

View attachment 1022573
A woman with an embarrassed bf was actually shouting around the meat free aisle “why do they want it to look like meat, does me head innnn” 🤣 it was like seeing a Daily Mail comment brought to life.
Ooh I love these too! The pistachio version is good too. Has anyone tried the new Coconut Collab choc & cream pots? Any good?

Ooh I love these too! The pistachio version is good too. Has anyone tried the new Coconut Collab choc & cream pots? Any good?
I bought those as well! Not tried yet but they looked too good to leave on the shelf. They were £2.75 but bigger than their little pots. Half tempted to go back and buy more mousses 🤔

• Heart
I bought those as well! Not tried yet but they looked too good to leave on the shelf. They were £2.75 but bigger than their little pots. Half tempted to go back and buy more mousses 🤔
The new Gu chocolate mousses are divine though - best vegan mousse I've had!

• Wow
  • Heart
I just watched (on free trial on Discovery plus via Amazon) Mary McCartney “Serves it up” she had some lovely recipes.

Has anyone tried the new Coconut Collab choc & cream pots? Any good?
Just had one, they don’t go off til April so was gonna save them. Very nice, remind me of those Cadbury choc trifle pots without the sponge, but far too small. Who are they making these portion sizes for 😢 waste of plastic.

Ahh thank you! Will get some then! And yeah I totally agree - I love their small chocolate pots but damn they're tiny for the price! That being said, those choc pots are pretty rich, but still... I think the Alpro choc/vanilla dessert pots are a much better size, but alas they're nowhere near as good.

Just popping back to say a huge thank you for the Iron recommendation's you gave ❤ :)

Family member bought Feroglobin liquid and also Spatone. They are loving the Spatone at the moment (they use Orange juice with it) and rather oddly, they have brighter eyes, colour in their cheeks (for the first time in a very long time).

Also found mood felt better, less headache and calmer :giggle:

Going to try the Feroglobin soon, but I thought I'd nip on and say it went really well (Holland & B were the best on price and size) thanks again and have a lovely weekend 🤗❤

• Heart
Reactions: 6