Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
C476CF66-FBFC-4855-89D7-F42B37756EE3.jpeg
how long till my comment on vee’s recent post about this whole voluntourism trip to cambodia gets deleted?! place your bets!

Reactions: 18

MrsMarshmallow

Surely the point of going to Harvard was to get a degree? No? Graduation is nice but you go to uni to get a qualification
I mean that’s why I go to uni. Graduating and all is a nice celebration, but the main purpose is getting the knowledge + degree in order to pursue a good job in the future. Seems like she cares more about the Instagrammable moments than the actual Master’s?

• Heart
it makes me so mad because I think Vee could do sooo much good, not just with her platform but also the education she's had, but all she does is the bare minimum / superficial influencer activism. I wish she would just take a regular job at a NGO or something?? also.. I don't see her getting a phd at all. she did well at uni but actually working in academia?? it's tough and it doesn't really suit her imo, it's just another thing on the checklist it seems like

She hasn’t even written a dissertation for her MA so she has no track record at all for carrying out substantial pieces of (independent) research - I don’t see how she thought she was qualified to get a fully funded place? The competition will be huge
This. She finished her masters degree in 8 months. She didn’t do a dissertation. Only having Harvard in your name doesn’t cut it.

pumpkin87

Yeah and, I mean, what is exactly her social action or humanitarian efforts?

I don't deny the fact that her platform and her message, at least at the begining, might have inspired you POC girls and that having representation of POC in academia, Oxbridge&Ivy League, etc is very important. But what has she actually achieved?

That being said, I think Vee has a lot of potential and that she could really achieve great things and do a lot for girl's education, she has the platform, the presence, understands the issues, is very outspoken, communicates very well. I always thought she would go far when i started watching her and was very excited to follow her journey, but right now i am finding her quite hard to watch.

bigreputation

I’ve asked before and I’ll ask again… what has she actually done? Those bullshit workshops can’t be it… Honorary doctorate for riding Malala’s coattails?

Also the way she uses the fact she worked at McDonald’s as a point to emphasise how hard she’s come is irrationally annoying to me. Most students have jobs in hospitality or retail alongside studying. She talks about it like she was dependent on that job and had to struggle for a way out of it, etc etc.

judgejohndeed

VIP Member
It seems Oxford and Harvard are not enough for her 🙄 She should strive to go somewhere with the best department for the field she wants to study, not just the overall name above the door of the institution. She's already living off the name of Oxford and Harvard, what more does she want?
Exactly this. And I would say the specific supervisor too, even more important than department in fact, although that’s definitely a more important factor than the overall name of the uni. Plus Oxbridge are notorious for giving out many more PhD offers than they can fund, I bet she would be the type to take an unfunded Oxbridge PhD over a funded ‘less prestigious’ name because she’s that dopey.

emmer_moans

VIP Member
What a state that party was. You’re only 25…. You don’t need that sort of thing. But maybe she realises by the time she’s 30 she’ll be Irrelevant so strike whilst the iron is hot

but two dresses, the second one was ugly and you can tell her friendships are quite fake

she deffo sought Malala out to be a social climber. That’s all she is
I just noticed the two dresses, does she think she is Beyonce or Taylor Swift doing costume changes at a concert or something?!
Screenshot_20230410-071738~2.png

Screenshot_20230410-071742.png

And so many single use balloons, the woman is obsessed with balloons 🤣

I just can't get over the narcissism here.

Vee, it's ok to be proud of yourself but showing off like this will only make those close to you eventually bitter at your constant self congratulations. Does her sister get such parties?!

I just can't get over influencers narcissism over things like birthdays.

artemist

Chatty Member
I don’t know Vee very well and only watched a few of her YT videos as I was at Oxford soon after she was, but I made the mistake of following her on LinkedIn and wow is it the most triggering, depressing crap I have seen. She doesn’t just share and enjoy her achievements, she smacks you in the face with them and smears them all over while grinning at you from a bazillion smug photos. She’s disgustingly boastful and I had to take a step away from LinkedIn cause it was so toxic. Nothing to do with jealously as there’s no part of me that could or would do any of the stuff she is doing, it’s just the way she comes across and shares her life. It makes you feel so shit in comparison no matter how great your own achievements are. She’s genuinely insufferable.

Reactions: 17

slamvs27

VIP Member
I stopped following her as she made her IG more like an influencer's page. Couldn't honestly tell you what she studied at Harvard because she never mentioned it.
Almost like she just went for the name/ brand. Sad she probably took a spot away from someone more passionate about education.
Also TTTHHHEEE Diana award? Nope, never heard of it 🤷‍♀️. And how did she earn it, exactly? Raised money? Awareness? Found a new discovery?

DevilsIvy

Yes! I'm sure Malala has other friends who don't post her for clout. She seems super genuine and sweet, I get a good vibe from her. I can't even stand to watch Vee's vlogs anymore. I get updates from you guys here!🙃

macaroon

Omg, I feel like all she does is having parties for herself.
Maybe it's because I only follow her on YouTube, but can't remember a party she went that wasn't hers.
Do you really need to throw a party every week? Why do you need to celebrate your bachelor's degree if you just celebrated for your master? There was the house warming party, the EBV day was basically another party, and I'm sure there are many more that I don't remember

• Heart

ggacc

This is what I have issue with too. She's banking on the old "I did it, so anyone can!" rhetoric to seem like she's doing something, as opposed to actively opening doors for various demographics she wants to represent.
I agree. Motivational speaking is great but it isn't the same as educational activism/outreach with tangible impact and goals e.g. facilitating schools relationships with universities, providing free or subsidised UCAS mentoring, lobbying for change etc. Maybe she's doing those things and I just haven't noticed. But I see lots of praise for Vee on social media saying that she is doing amazing work, but I don't actually know what she is doing and no one seems to know...? Does anyone know lol. (I would like to give her credit where it's due.)