Unpopular opinions #8

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh crikey here we go. I must be the worlds youngest grandma I’m not even 30 but ok.

I’m not homophobic and have no issue with people loving who they love.
This isn’t about love though, it’s about dancing. I like watching men and women dance together on strictly. That doesn’t make me homophobic.
The grandma reference obviously went right over your (youthful) head.

I wasn't insinuating you, the poster, are a grandmother. :D :D

The only other people I have heard talk about the same sex dancers on Strictly have all been women over a certain age, with the same 'sucked on a lemon' expression and insistent that they are not homophobic.

And dancing is, and always has been, an expression of love.

Reactions: 7
I think Nicola and John both said they felt more comfortable dancing with a person of the same sex - which I get.

I think it's added an interesting dynamic to the show which is much needed IMO considering Striclty is a pretty stale format now.
I just prefer watching all the couples as male/female I think it’s easier to compare them against each other that way too. I love seeing the dresses and suits and how they match together and how the male and female bodies compliment each other through movement.

There’s plenty of people who aren’t heterosexual that have taken part in the show as a male/female couple afterall it’s a dance competition not a love competition although plenty of them do go on to shack up.

Seems like it’s trying too hard to box tick IMO.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
The grandma reference obviously went right over your (youthful) head.

I wasn't insinuating you, the poster, are a grandmother. :D :D

The only other people I have heard talk about the same sex dancers on Strictly have all been women over a certain age, with the same 'sucked on a lemon' expression and insistent that they are not homophobic.

And dancing is, and always has been, an expression of love.
Graham Norton also questioned the need for same sex pairings on the show - he’s a gay man, is he homophobic too 🥴

What is with this dangerous territory that we cannot voice an opinion on someone who isn’t heterosexual without being called phobic to some tune. Someone said above they didn’t like Oprah does that make them racist?! No. It’s just a preference, I like watching male female pairings and think they compliment each other well. There have been plenty of people who aren’t heterosexual take part in strictly as part of a male|Female pairing but just you carry on being offended. You’re in good company.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
I just prefer watching all the couples as male/female I think it’s easier to compare them against each other that way too. I love seeing the dresses and suits and how they match together and how the male and female bodies compliment each other through movement.

There’s plenty of people who aren’t heterosexual that have taken part in the show as a male/female couple afterall it’s a dance competition not a love competition although plenty of them do go on to shack up.

Seems like it’s trying too hard to box tick IMO.
Speaking as someone who's gay it's really nice to see representation on a prime time TV show. I think if I'd seen two guys dancing together on national TV when I was a teenager I'd have felt a lot better about my sexuality growing up.

Besides, it's one couple a year and heterosexuality is the default in 99% of TV shows and films - so it's nice to get something. :D

(And by the way, I'm not offended in the slightest. Us gays have thick skin haha.)

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Speaking as someone who's gay it's really nice to see representation on a prime time TV show. I think if I'd seen two guys dancing together on national TV when I was a teenager I'd have felt a lot better about my sexuality growing up.

Besides, it's one couple a year and heterosexuality is the default in 99% of TV shows and films - so it's nice to get something. :D
There’s been loads of gay people on the show over the years they have been in male/female pairings. I don’t have a problem with gay people being on the show. I agree it’s good to see representation of real life everywhere and tv is an important place to start I just also think it’s important not to do it in a token way so it isn’t seen as box ticking so it doesn’t lose its meaning.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Graham Norton also questioned the need for same sex pairings on the show - he’s a gay man, is he homophobic too 🥴

What is with this dangerous territory that we cannot voice an opinion on someone who isn’t heterosexual without being called phobic to some tune. Someone said above they didn’t like Oprah does that make them racist?! No. It’s just a preference, I like watching male female pairings and think they compliment each other well. There have been plenty of people who aren’t heterosexual take part in strictly as part of a male|Female pairing but just you carry on being offended. You’re in good company.
I'm not offended. I simply disagree with your view.
And I refuse to derail this thread any further.
Time to get back to talking about biscuits, I reckon.

Reactions: 4
I'm not offended. I simply disagree with your view.
And I refuse to derail this thread any further.
Time to get back to talking about biscuits, I reckon.
That’s fine you can disagree without calling me homophobic as that is offensive to people who have actually experienced homophobia.

I agree, bet your taste in biscuits is tit too 😜

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
Strictly is boring AF anyway, loads of Z list celebs.
10 cal jellies are nicer than any biscuit but cake is better than both (carrot cake being god tier)

• Haha
Reactions: 18
There’s been loads of gay people on the show over the years they have been in male/female pairings. I don’t have a problem with gay people being on the show. I agree it’s good to see representation of real life everywhere and tv is an important place to start I just also think it’s important not to do it in a token way so it isn’t seen as box ticking so it doesn’t lose its meaning.
Oh yeah, if a gay person wants to dance with someone of the opposite sex, then of course they should get that opportunity. But if they prefer and feel more comfortable dancing with someone of the same sex I see no issue with that either. It's good it's an option, rather than enforcing a particular choice on them.

I don't see it as box ticking, I just see it as an extension of real life I suppose - i.e. some people date people of the same gender and hence also dance with people of the same gender. No big deal really.

Reactions: 5
Thick biscuits, anything called “extremely chocolaty” are a massive HELL no.
I don’t want a slab of chocolate glued to my biscuit.
Bar of chocolate - biscuit. Two different things
THEY DO NOT MIX. ITEMS SOLD SEPARATELY.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
BBC’s Strictly come dancing

- gay contestant.
- someone with a disability.
- fat person
- token black contestant.
- BBC employee
- someone from eastenders for the chavs

- black judge
- gay judge
- one member of the cast who has a dead sibling/child/parent
- one contestant who’ll shag their partner

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.