Unpopular Opinions #22

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not sure if it's just me being a dinosaur but 10-year-old girls having spray tans and fake nails? My daughter gives me the "but so and so at school gets them!" "Good for her, shame your mum is an ancient fossil who says no!"
Kids these days are being allowed to grow up too fast. I was on placement in a year 5 class and there were kids in there who’d have fake tan and nails on. They also dressed like teenagers rather than 10 year olds, it was crazy to see how similar these kids dress wear. 10 year olds shouldn’t be wearing crop tops and worrying about which brand their hoodie is from.
On the topic of proms; my year 11 prom was crap. It was a bunch of posh teenage girls (and a couple of awkward boys brought along for show) in a hotel hall dancing to grime. The food wasn’t great and you could barely do anything without receiving a judgmental look from one of the popular girls (there was also no alcohol since we were all 16). The after party was much better.

• Wow
Reactions: 13
It’s like everything is becoming Americanised to an extent, I never remember baby showers years ago but nowadays it’s almost expected to have them, and gender reveals. I never done either. I love a party as much as the next person but it gets a bit over the top very quickly.
Someone had a gender reveal in my local park. Obviously left all the blue confetti and extra paint on the grass too.

Tired of black friday and unless you’re american store trying to make thanksgiving a thing here too.

Medals should be top three. My school sports day went gold, silver and bronze.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
yes to absolutely all of these.

and also a special place at the lowest level: baby showers. especially if that baby shower includes some kind of gender reveal.
I’m going to one in two weeks, a gift registry was sent out over what’s app ‘in case people didn’t know what to buy’. Did not go down well with my family who are attending nor me!

• Wow
  • Haha
I’m going to one in two weeks, a gift registry was sent out over what’s app ‘in case people didn’t know what to buy’. Did not go down well with my family who are attending nor me!
a gift registry for a baby shower?!?! oh nope, this had better not become a thing.

i know of a girl who had a gender reveal party, a baby shower closer to her due date and THEN a christening. and she expected gifts at each one. there was literally nothing left to buy that baby by the end.

as a single woman with thankfully no kids, i wonder what type of party i can throw for people to give me gifts, i’m missing out 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
I think Pride has gone over the top and am sick of seeing its branding everywhere. Especially companies rebranding their logo for Pride month. It seems to get a disproportionate amount of coverage now in the corporate world. I feel like politicians jump on the bandwagon too. I even know of a gay person who's sick of it and doesn't identify with the movement.

I support gay rights btw incl same sex marriage and adoption.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Gender reveals make me want to vomit. Who gives a tit if it's a boy or a girl, it's a baby be happy. Just more overhyped shite along with proms 😂😂😂 it's all for the gram.

Reactions: 26
a gift registry for a baby shower?!?! oh nope, this had better not become a thing.

i know of a girl who had a gender reveal party, a baby shower closer to her due date and THEN a christening. and she expected gifts at each one. there was literally nothing left to buy that baby by the end.

as a single woman with thankfully no kids, i wonder what type of party i can throw for people to give me gifts, i’m missing out 🤣
It’s happening. An old friend of mine had a whatsapp group for presents. I was originally going to post her something but my brother told me to leave it and i’m glad i did given that I hadn’t even spoken to her in a year or known that she was pregnant until a mutual friend told me.

Your birthday for gifts!

When it comes to weddings, I think a lot of couples rush into it.

A friend of mine is getting married next year, but he's lived with his partner for at least 10 years and they have a child together. Obviously there's no guarantee their marriage will definitely be a success, but I'd be more willing to put money on their marriage lasting compared to a lot of others.

They're not doing anything fancy; just having immediate family and very close friends, so it'll be quite low key. They don't feel the need to make it overly showy, as they don't have anything to prove.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
When it comes to weddings, I think a lot of couples rush into it.

A friend of mine is getting married next year, but he's lived with his partner for at least 10 years and they have a child together. Obviously there's no guarantee their marriage will definitely be a success, but I'd be more willing to put money on their marriage lasting compared to a lot of others.

They're not doing anything fancy; just having immediate family and very close friends, so it'll be quite low key. They don't feel the need to make it overly showy, as they don't have anything to prove.
I hate to rain on your parade but a woman I worked with married her partner of 10 years and they split within 12 months of the wedding.

She said later she realised they had got stale and thought marriage would put it back on track. I think they did it because they had got bored.

Reactions: 16
I hate to rain on your parade but a woman I worked with married her partner of 10 years and they split within 12 months of the wedding.

She said later she realised they had got stale and thought marriage would put it back on track. I think they did it because they had got bored.
Well, I'll let you know how it goes. :D I don't get that impression from them, though.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I think Pride has gone over the top and am sick of seeing its branding everywhere. Especially companies rebranding their logo for Pride month. It seems to get a disproportionate amount of coverage now in the corporate world. I feel like politicians jump on the bandwagon too. I even know of a gay person who's sick of it and doesn't identify with the movement.

I support gay rights btw incl same sex marriage and adoption.
A gay colleague at my old job felt the same way. He said it was "just an excuse for a bunch of queens to dress outrageously and parade around".

Reactions: 12

This is so interesting, I remember as a child my best friends parents got married after they’d been together for at least 12 years (the oldest child was 12 so they were probably together a lot longer) they had 3 children together and then they got married when the youngest was 6. They didn’t even last a year into marriage!! Everyone was so shocked because they had been together for so long and seemed so happy. I don’t know all the ins and outs of it as I was only 8 at the time but I remember being so shocked and sad for my bestie as it was the first experience I had of seeing a family break up.

Reactions: 3
A gay colleague at my old job felt the same way. He said it was "just an excuse for a bunch of queens to dress outrageously and parade around".
Yes I do wonder if some more gay people at work feel uncomfortable with it, but can't speak up.

Reactions: 7
This is so interesting, I remember as a child my best friends parents got married after they’d been together for at least 12 years (the oldest child was 12 so they were probably together a lot longer) they had 3 children together and then they got married when the youngest was 6. They didn’t even last a year into marriage!! Everyone was so shocked because they had been together for so long and seemed so happy. I don’t know all the ins and outs of it as I was only 8 at the time but I remember being so shocked and sad for my bestie as it was the first experience I had of seeing a family break up.
I think they reached a stage where they thought what shalll we do now? I know, let's get married !! Thankfully they did that and hadn't thought to have a baby.

Reactions: 4
Good news, bad news.
The good news is that EastEnders is being shunted to another channel.
The bad news is that it is only temporary, whilst Wimbledon is on!

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I love weddings. The flashier the better. Mine was low key so other peoples’ are fabulous to me. I was lucky enough to go to two (previously postponed) last year that were whole weekend jobs in country houses.

My daughter has just had her prom. It was at a 5 star hotel. Dress was one she already had along with accessories, the only thing bought was tit tape £2, manicure/pedicure and up-do. She was stunning and I took a squillion photos of her and her friends.

I’m invited to a baby shower next month and looking forward to it. Going by the WhatsApp group there’s about 60 women going. It’s at a hotel and another chance to get dolled up and celebrate.

Gender reveals…meh

• Heart
Yes I do wonder if some more gay people at work feel uncomfortable with it, but can't speak up.
Two gay friends of mine have said they feel this at their workplaces and that there is some subtle pressure for them to be involved in various Pride activities. I do think some employers are doing this as a box-ticking exercise than any real interest in equality.

Reactions: 18
Two gay friends of mine have said they feel this at their workplaces and that there is some subtle pressure for them to be involved in various Pride activities. I do think some employers are doing this as a box-ticking exercise than any real interest in equality.
I agree. The attendance at the Pride events in my firm, a large multinational, is quite poor. Often email appeals go out for more people to sign up, and for more entries to competitions. It feels like a small number of diversity and inclusion staff are driving it the whole time, and the workforce in my firm just doesn't seem to get into the Pride spirit (maybe staff in other companies are more enthusiastic?). Maybe there are too many events, maybe people are too busy, maybe people just aren't interested. I don't participate myself as I see no need, I'm tolerant of gay colleagues already, I really don't need to promote that fact.

Reactions: 6
I don't mind Pride stuff. I don't generally get directly involved, but it's still nice to get representation.

I find gays who don't like Pride stuff are normally lucky enough to be completely accepted by family and colleagues. Which is nice for them, but it's not the same for all, and that's why Pride is still needed in my opinion.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.