Unpopular Opinions #14

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Kids should be off limits regardless of how horrendous their parents are. Absolutely no excuses.

Reactions: 8
If it was a joke directed to your community I don't think you'd appreciate it, especially if someone made fun of your people getting killed. I do think some jokes cross the line.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
My favourite comedian makes fun of women, it's like his main bit. It's bleeping hilarious. I've red hair, LOADS of jokes are made about gingers. The South Park ginger episode which made us all out to be vampires was brilliant. If you can't laugh at yourself you'll be very miserable looking to be offended by comedians.
I thought the Jimmy Carr joke was distasteful, I also find frankie Boyle quite vulgar rather than funny but they are free to say what they want 🤷‍♀️
If Netflix take Jimmy Carr off I will cancel my subscription, I am not a Jimmy Carr fan but once we go down this rabbit hole of taking people off platforms then it will only be a matter of time before they come for the comedians I like.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I just heard the Jimmy carr joke on the radio if it's the one that's offensive? About the gypsy's, I thought it was funny. It most definitely wouldn't have been funny or got laughs if the word had been jews or genuinely persecuted people.
Is this the joke that people find offensive? 🤔 I'm shocked people are offended 😯

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 4
I need to watch the Jimmy Carr thing again. I don’t remember it being that OTT. I have seen his live shows a few times over the years. His whole act has always been about how far he can go. Once you’ve seen various versions of it a few times it becomes less shocking. Like everyone else he tones it down for telly. I probably watched the Netflix thing while either on the vino or with half an eye on my phone or both.

Jerry Sadowitz makes JC and FB look like Jackanory storytellers. I don’t remember any furore when his shows were aired.

Personally I’m more disturbed at the stuff the likes of Michael McIntyre and John Bishop try to pass off as comedy.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
@Piff paff puff yes that is the joke.

I also think half the people on twitter screaming about it couldn't give two fucks about the traveller/roma community.
It has just become the latest witch hunt to cancel someone. It is like a hobby for some people.

Whilst I am not a die hard Joe Rogan fan, I listen to his podcasts occasionally. After Neil Young tried to cancel him I decided to start following Joe Rogan on Spotify, I guess just show my support and let Spotify know that some people are happy with their decision.
I know I am 1 in a million but I bet I wasn't the only one who started following JR after that.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
@Piff paff puff yes that is the joke.

I also think half the people on twitter screaming about it couldn't give two fucks about the traveller/roma community.
It has just become the latest witch hunt to cancel someone. It is like a hobby for some people.

Whilst I am not a die hard Joe Rogan fan, I listen to his podcasts occasionally. After Neil Young tried to cancel him I decided to start following Joe Rogan on Spotify, I guess just show my support and let Spotify know that some people are happy with their decision.
I know I am 1 in a million but I bet I wasn't the only one who started following JR after that.
Ha me too! I actually made a Spotify account to follow him, I do know him but don't listen to all his stuff. he is bascally just chatting to his guests. They debate, they argue, they get high, anyone who believes he spreads misinfo has never watched his stuff. I got familiar with him a number of years back when he was doing some carnivore stuff.

Jimmy Dore has done a few good videos on Joe and this drama

Reactions: 5
Ha me too! I actually made a Spotify account to follow him, I do know him but don't listen to all his stuff. he is bascally just chatting to his guests. They debate, they argue, they get high, anyone who believes he spreads misinfo has never watched his stuff. I got familiar with him a number of years back when he was doing some carnivore stuff.

Jimmy Dore has done a few good videos on Joe and this drama
That is hilarious 🤣 I wonder did Neil Young boost Joe Rogans career. I'd imagine anyone who listens to him regularly is probably still listening to him.
I didn't listen to the one that caused the uproar, personally I am done listening to tit about covid 😂 BUT the guy he got on to talk about the vaccines was very well qualified to speak about vaccines seeing as he is the inventor of 9 mRNA vaccine patents. Not to mention JR has got numerous guests on to talk about covid/pandemics/vaccine but he gets one guy on that isn't saying what people want to hear so people try to cancel him.
Since then I have seen people taking 10 second segments out of 3 hour podcasts trying to paint him in a bad light. Get a life 🥴

• Heart
I don’t listen to Joe Rogan or Neil Young enough to actually say an opinion and I would guess a fair amount of the online outrage are from people who are like me. So my UO is - sometimes sitting on the fence is fine. It is ok to say “I don’t know,” about things, you don’t have to be clued up on every aspect of things.

As for the whole joking about things- I think comedy is down to intent. Gervais, Carr, and a few others do sometimes “walk the line” but ultimately i think ruling certain things off limits is bad...because where does it stop? Would a dark comedy film be off limits? Do I think the creators like Carr for example actually think the Holocaust is funny? No of course not. with the intent thing, I’ll use a broad example, I play Cards against humanity with a Liverpool fan. I asked them, do you want to take out the one that says “The Hillsborough Disaster”. They said no. Someone played that card. Everyone just kind of winced and said “you’re awful” to the player in a joking way Does anyone in the group think the actual disaster is funny. Of course we don’t. Could people admit that the card was well played in the context. Yes.

Reactions: 7
Maybe an UO but GoFundMe are disgraceful for stopping the money that was donated to the Canadian truckers. Said it was because they were an ‘incursion’ but then supported this debacle
Do you know did GoFundMe return the money donated? Either way, they are now dictating who is deserving of charity.

I don't care for Stand up comedy as a form of entertainment. I think growing up with everyone quoting Peter Kay left right and centre was enough to put me off.

• Haha
Do you know did GoFundMe return the money donated? Either way, they are now dictating who is deserving of charity.
They said they would return what they could by keep what they cannot return. How terrible is that. As you say they’re now dictating who can have donations. Talk about Big Brother. They also wanted to keep some of Cpt Toms money until a big hoohah was raised.

• Wow
They said they would return what they could by keep what they cannot return. How terrible is that. As you say they’re now dictating who can have donations. Talk about Big Brother. They also wanted to keep some of Cpt Toms money until a big hoohah was raised.
Wow that is pretty shocking. 100% of donated money should be refunded, even if that leaves GoFundMe at a loss. It was their decision after all.

I didn't even remember that Jimmy Carr joke about the Holocaust, I don't think it's that bad. The one about mosquitos getting aids was more offensive.
I like all that sort of comedy and it takes a lot for me to be shocked, but the aids one shocked me.

I didn't think the Franky KP joke was offensive either. It's a joke, which was actually pretty funny.

If people don't like offensive humour then just avoid those comedians.

It most definitely wouldn't have been funny or got laughs if the word had been jews or genuinely persecuted people.
Are you saying that gypsies weren’t persecuted? Because during the Holocaust Roma and Sinti (gypsies) were persecuted, they wore a black star with a Z on (sometimes a brown star). The women were forcibly sterilised.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Whilst it might be distasteful I also believe it shouldn't be off limits, nothing in stand up/comedy should be off limits.
Once we start taking things off the table then there is no limit to what will be censored with comedy.
I haven't seen Jimmy Carr's special but it really annoyed me when people tried to get chapelle cancelled.

Edit: I just looked up his joke, yikes 😬
omg I saw the joke... how in any way is that funny? it is not even edgy humour? it is just saying it s good that a huge group of people weer killed...jesus

Nobody finds Jimmy Carr funnier than Jimmy Carr. I watched the whole thing and he's just DESPERATE to be edgier than Boyle. Some of it was OK but the majority was just shocking for being shocked's sake.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
omg I saw the joke... how in any way is that funny? it is not even edgy humour? it is just saying it s good that a huge group of people weer killed...jesus
I guess like a lot of people here are saying, it's shock humour. Like oh my god did he just say that?
I don't know. Some comedians that rely on shocking the crowd just make me wince.
As someone said above, I doubt Jimmy Carr actually thinks it is a good thing.
Same with the tit Frankie Boyle comes out with, I doubt he believes the jokes he says. If he did he should be locked up 😂😅

Reactions: 1
I guess like a lot of people here are saying, it's shock humour. Like oh my god did he just say that?
I don't know. Some comedians that rely on shocking the crowd just make me wince.
As someone said above, I doubt Jimmy Carr actually thinks it is a good thing.
Same with the tit Frankie Boyle comes out with, I doubt he believes the jokes he says. If he did he should be locked up 😂😅
That's the difference between stand up and spouting racial hatred. I don't think for one minute Jimmy actually believes any of what he is saying. If he said it at an EDL rally then that's completely different.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.